OOC Info [OOC Thread] Moving with the Herd

This is Endrykas' OOC thread. Feel free to use it for any sort of chatter

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Endrykas' Development Forum. Any and all OOC discussions, development projects, and silliness are contained within.

[OOC thread] Moving with the Herd

Postby Ruari Darkwind on October 5th, 2015, 2:02 am

Hi guys!

I've been quiet for a few days; I was taking my exam and table test for blackjack dealing, and I was unable to focus on Mizahar but for the occasional PM and a few instances of chat. Now that it's done, I'll be returning to activity right away.

Sorry for any delays and unanswered queries.
Ruari Darkwind
skulls.

Words: 62295
Joined roleplay: August 23rd, 2015, 3:15 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amunet on October 5th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Please forgive me but i have had internet trouble at home. I will have it fixed this week. Responses that i owe will be forthcoming.

Thank you for your patience and continued patience.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Aran on October 5th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Hey guys,

Been a bit slow in responding mostly because I have a big project that being wrapped up this week, along with some personal work colliding at the same time. I hope it'll be okay by the weekend, so apologies to all.
Aran
Riding the Wind

Words: 8452
Joined roleplay: April 18th, 2010, 7:47 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tribal on October 8th, 2015, 4:00 am

I've started work on the linkmap again, this time focusing on 'Wind Skins'. I added the following to give you all a better idea of how windmarks work and the process the Drykas people go through to get their tattooing done. It took a few hours of researching a mix of Japanese / Samoan traditional tattooing tools and methods, so a bit of thought has gone into it! Please note that this a work in progress and subject to change as I work closely with Gossamer on most of my decisions for the Drykas. If you have something you'd like to see added, again, I am always open to member input!

Windmarks

Tattooing Tools

Comb: A small, single or multi toothed comb is used to puncture the sink and insert the pigment (ink) into the flesh. The teeth of the comb are used to bite into the skin and are usually made out of bone, metal, or shell from animals such as the turtle. Combs range in sizes and are able to produce clean, fine lines in small and large designs, including dotting.

Plate: Fashioned from the same materials as the comb (depending on the artist and the traditional methods in which they work), the plate holds the comb in place and joins it to the handle.

Handle: The handles are purposely designed for balanced weight and a comfortable grip as tattooing, especially windmark sessions, can take many hours to perform and complete. Combined, these three tools make up what is called a chisel.

Tattooing Process

Traditional bone used for the comb is made from boar’s tusk, Glassbeak talons, or Spearback quills. The comb is dipped into ink, a pigment made from the soot of a ground nut (usually the candlenut), and then the artist uses a stick to tap against the chisel and draw the desired design into the skin. Basic designs are picked by the tattoo artist as men and women from different clans have their own tradition and starting designs, however, the way in which they are filled in is completely up to the person being tattooed.

The family meets with their desired artist to choose a design before praying to their gods (more traditionally Zulrav), to ask for a sign or blessing. The person being tattooed must fast for a full twenty-four hours before undergoing the tattoo and depending on the courage of that person, it can take anywhere between one to eight days to complete a design. The pain of traditional Drykas tattooing is so blinding it soon gets to a point where the person being tattooed can no longer feel the pain and is only reminded that they are being tattooed by the haunting sound of handles being tapped together.

Most men and women, depending on their age, will suffer through one to two hours of work before returning the next day to have more work done, while more old-fashioned Drykas bloodlines (those less mixed with outside blood), see to it that their members endure the full work of the design to ensure they’re worthy of fighting for and protecting their pavilion or clan. These practices, however, have slowly been phased out in more recent years and tattooing has become a lot more of a social event.

Every tattoo artist has at least one to three assistants to help with the work, with a couple holding the skin taut and wiping away excess ink and blood while the artist focuses on his or her work. The person being tattooed is not permitted to talk during the ceremony as having the work done is seen as a rite of passage from child to man (or woman), but is regularly offered water to drink in order to keep them hydrated (and hopefully prevent them from passing out). If, however, a person does pass out, the ritual is stopped and picked up at a later date.

It is customary for the person undergoing the tattoo to be surrounded by family members or loved ones to offer support, and signing and storytelling is usually used as a good way to pass the time and take the person's mind away from the pain of the work being done. For those who just can’t take the pain, there is an option of being treated with Scouts’s Bane which is the name given to a numbing toxin produced by the Spearback. Scout’s Bane cost 50 gold miza per sitting as it is very difficult to get a hold of but not frowned upon by modern day Drykas.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Tribal on October 15th, 2015, 9:30 am

Update

Currently working on:

1. Linkmap updates
2. Grading
3. Locations
4. Event (waiting for Naiya to post and anyone else who wanted a vision!)
5. City Map (final)
6. Job applications
7. Banners or box-codes I promised people

I’m going to be away for the next 24 hours, maybe longer. I have a new dog to go pick up from the airport tomorrow and it’s a very long drive for us. I also have a new job working long nights so I might not be around as often, though I will do my best to keep up with everything.

Still really hoping some of you might consider becoming graders (I’m more than happy to help train you up and read grades before you post them until you feel confident enough to go it alone), as Endrykas is growing quickly and its currently only myself and Pearl (and the odd person I can rope in every now and then), helping out, even one more grader would take the stress off and two would be like all my Christmases come at once!

We have a few new players! Big warm welcome to Lale and Cayn (and any others I may have missed!), so make them feel welcome and help them out if you see them struggling! (We’ve all been there guys, not to worry!).

If you have something to add to my to-do list, don’t be shy! I forget things all the time and I don’t mind a little nudge here and there. I know it’s only half way through the season, but don’t forget to make a start on job threads and pay your seasonal expenses. If you keep slaves you must also pay their seasonal expenses!

Just a polite little side-note from me… If your threads are getting up around 10 to 15 posts (or 5000+ words), try to start a second (part 2) thread just to make it easier for me to get through the grades. You’ve all been very kind to me lately and I really appreciate that! Keep up the great writing; I’m enjoying learning about all of your awesome PC’s and plotlines.

I’ll be back in the weekend! Until then, write on!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Postby Zephari on October 15th, 2015, 4:55 pm

I have been looking into becoming a grader, because I absolutely loved reading other's threads back in riverfall. I think it may be a good idea for me to spend a little time getting better aquainted with people here before that happens, but it is something I am certainly looking forward to.
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Pearl on October 19th, 2015, 5:15 pm

I'll do my best to keep up with the grading during Tribal's absence this month. Please be patient with me. :)
Pearl
Doctor at The River Flower

Words: 219351
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2015, 5:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Erikal on October 19th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Hey guys!

Looking forward to swapping tales with you all as I get my Endrykas writing legs underneath me. Feel free to pm me with all of your interesting thread ideas. Till then.... fare thee well!

Erikal
I'm hunting you!

Words: 69139
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2015, 9:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tribal on October 21st, 2015, 9:11 am

Welcome to all the new Drykas players.

A note to the old: If I awarded you an item in The Silver Chest moderated thread last season can you please send me a link to your thread, I need to add the item to your storyteller secrets and it would save me a lot of time and energy if you could all send me a PM with the right links.

Thank you.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Postby Tribal on October 21st, 2015, 11:23 pm

Been spending a lot of time on this baby! Unfortunately you are not allowed to get your grubby little fingers on it just yet as it is still in the construction stages and needs to be reviewed by Gossamer.

I just thought I would share it so you know I’m not sitting here doing nothing :P Development is happening for Endrykas and the Sea of Grass, slowly but surely!

Still need links to some of your silver chest threads. Thanks to those people who have already sent me a PM!

Note:I'm going to start grading the Caiyha thread and writing visions. If you wanted to be in it you have 24 hours in which to do so and make a post, otherwise you miss out.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

PreviousNext