Solo [The Training Grounds] So You Want to be a Knight? II

Training with Utis

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Training Grounds] So You Want to be a Knight? II

Postby Aventis on November 17th, 2014, 7:47 pm

20th of Autumn, 514 AV

The squire beamed with a quiet pride, stepping into the training grounds once again, this time with a second blade strapped to his belt. His cloak was loose now, the squire almost taking pride in his arms, letting the flaps fly in the small gust he created by walking. He didn’t show them off, he wasn’t proud, no not even nearly. But they were there. And Aventis was no less of a squire now.

His knight, as per usual, was lounging in nearly the same spot, against the far wall of the grounds, leisurely watching squires and knights alike duke it out, assessing their combat stances and tactics with aged eyes.

This time, Aventis wasted no time, walking past the fighters and the onlookers and the few that tore their eyes away from the fight to catch a glimpse of Aventis’ arms, either set, without hesitation. He approached his knight, stopping a good three feet away, crossing his four arms behind his back, and standing to attention silently.

It took but a moment for the old knight to turn his head and assess his squire lazily. “You know you don’t have to do that.” he said. “Calling me ser is just about enough. You don’t need all this…” he waved his arm in a vertical motion, gesturing at the squire’s posture. “This… Formality. Really. None of the other squires do it. I won’t ask it of you.

Aventis, in response, stood, silent, unaccustomed to his knight’s strategy of discipline. He had heard through the squirely grapevine that knights could have an… Unorthodox way of educating their squires, and Aventis wanted to be prepared for it, wrapping his head around all possible ways that Ser Utis could possibly teach him respect. So, Aventis figured, by jumping the gun and showing that he already knew respect, thereby proving no lesson was necessary.

The old knight sighed, bulging his eyes and rubbing his temples softly. “Alright…” he grunted, pushing himself off the wall and walking towards the same spot they practiced in a few days ago, motioning for Aventis to follow him, which he did without second thought or question.

We’ll be working on three things today.” the knight shouted behind him as he walked, barely audible through the clatter of metal and the twang of bow strings. “First is gonna’ be that shortsword I see you finally got yourself. Second is gonna’ be using a shield. Third is going to be unarmed combat, which I certainly hope you’re good at.

The knight stopped, standing the same spot he did before, and pointing to the same spot he did the last time, and Aventis stood where he commanded without question.

Cloak.” He commanded, and Aventis removed his cloak, tied it into a ball, and tossed it onto the ground. “Weapon.” The knight shouted again, and Aventis drew his shortsword. “You actually got it?” the knight asked, and Aventis nodded. “You didn’t steal it, boy?

“No, ser.”

Utis slit his eyes, nodding slowly. “Don’t suppose you know how to use it.

“No, ser. Not other than what you have taught me.”

Of course you don’t.” The knight responded, not a hint of surprise in his tone as he drew his own sword. “This is what I want you to do, squire. I’m going to lunge at you. You have choices. Either parry it with your own blade...” He stopped for a moment. “You do know what a parry is, right, boy?

Aventis nodded. “I do, ser.”

Alright. I’m sceptical. So I’ll be expecting you to utilize your other two choices. Number one, you can dodge by simply stepping to the side. Easy. Or, number two, if you think you have the strength, you can block with your own sword. Only do this if you want to waste a shortsword. Monica would cut through that lousy piece of metal like butter. But it’s an option.” he said, gripping his sword and getting into a stance. “Ready, squire?

Aventis flipped the sword in his hand, spreading his arms apart and curling his hands into fists, readying himself. He spread his legs shoulder-width apart, holding his weapon in front of him.

“Ready, ser.”

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on November 17th, 2014, 9:22 pm

The knight rushed at his squire, blade at hand, lunging first with his arm extended instead of his blade, as to test his squire, who nimbly swung himself, using the sole of his foot as a fulcrum, around and behind Utis, then spinning as to face him. The knight turned, getting back into stance with a new gleam in his old, withered eyes. He tossed the blade in between his hands, as if to ask Aventis if he was prepared. The squire nodded, clenching his jaw shut, focusing, knowing that this was the first situation he was faced with where he could legitimately die. The knight lunged again, this time with his blade, stabbing at his squire, who, with a quick and solemn move, once again swung around his mentor and tapped his armored back with the hilt of his sword. Utis grinned. The kid was good Not a natural, he didn’t have an uncanny talent for it, but he was good. And he could be better. The knight swung again, lashing out from behind his own back, and Aventis, ever watchful, dodged the blade carefully, taking a large step back, swearing to himself that he could almost feel the blade dragging against his skin.

Prepare yourself, squire.” was the only warning Aventis got from the knight before he swung out his blade once over, an easy dodge, but followed directly by a lunge, which Aventis had to sidestep, only to be yet again faced with another slash. The knight had turned, forcing his blade down through the air, nearly clipping the squire’s unaware forehead, but just barely missed, as the squire had yet again jumped back.

You have to fight back, kid.” the knight grunted, thrusting again, Aventis doing his best to dodge. “Otherwise I just keep the advantage.

The squire considered the knight’s advice. When next he swung, Aventis swung himself around the knight’s back again, tapping the knight’s back, reeling back slightly, and swinging the sword at his spine, but the knight had anticipated the move, countering it quickly with a sharp blow to the squire’s sword. Aventis, caught off guard, instinctively let go of his weapon, letting it fly across the ground until it landed with a loud clang. Aventis flung his head to the side, watching it slide away, turning back only to find a blade directly between his eyes, and on the other side was his knight, who, with a steely complexion, lowered his blade, sheathed it, extended his arm, and pointed at Aventis’ fallen weapon. The squire soundlessly stepped over to it, crouched down, and retrieved his weapon. When he stood and faced the knight, he sighed into his palm. Aventis sensed the impending lecture, and stood to attention.

Kid, you NEED to adhere to the advice I give you. Anything I say you need to do. When I tell you to use your sword, that doesn’t mean just fling it around. No.” The knight told him, gripping his sword’s hilt. “You hold it. Strong. As if it were part of your arm. It. Does. Not. Leave. Your. Hand. Do you understand me, squire?

“Yes, ser.”

Do you understand, squire?

“I do, ser.”

He drew his weapon, brandishing once again an attack position.

Prove it, boy.

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on November 18th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Aventis felt a somewhat introverted sense of pride. He had never performed that kind of combat aptitude before. It felt good to perform it, and, perform because there was now a small crowd, much as last time the squire sparred with his knight, but this time watching more carefully. Aventis had caught only a glimpse of the faces of the crowd, only a bit over a dozen, but recognized one or two faces that were there, watching him, four days ago.

The squire pulled his blade just in time to make the first parry of his life. The night slashed at him yet again, his shortsword met this time with that of Aventis’, which gently eased Utis’ blow to the left as Aventis sidestepped, for good measure, around the knight.

Finally.” The knight said, almost in immolation, sacrificing his time and energy to teach the squire basic combat maneuvers.

Utis noticed his squire looking at the small crowd that had grown like moss and spread mild admiration. The old man had been used to the little gathering for years. They would watch, silently, and do nothing but watch. They would take no experience from what they saw, nor would they congratulate either of the men, and indeed no friendships were made as a result. It was just a backdrop to the fight. But for his squire, it was a new experience. It was admiration, it was respect. And Utis, being the gentleman he is, waited for his squire to take it in. He could use this.

Nice, isn’t it, boy?” the knight said, smiling, throwing a purposefully weak blow towards the squire and letting him parry it, as he had done the entire match. If he had wanted to fight the squire, he would be dead by now. But the young squire didn’t need to know that. “The admiration. The respect. That comes with work, squire. Work that you can do. That you need to do.” The knight smiled a fake smile, “Soooo…” he said in an almost disarmingly peppy tone, which faded almost immediately as he yelled “work!” and with that, he drew his weapon, and this time his shield from his hip. He slammed his sword against his shield, letting the ensuing sound ring, loud and long, across the training grounds.

Aventis smiled, brandishing his weapon as well, lunging towards the knight, correctly guessing that he would swivel on his foot to dodge the hit, and anticipated the next swing, most likely of his shield. In response, the squire spun yet again and curled in his knees in so he was below even Ser Utis’ waist level, swung at his knees, spun again, and watched his knight’s knees buckle a bit. It didn’t take long for the knight to recover, and he smiled at his squire. “Attaboy.” he said quietly, swinging his shortsword vertically at Aventis, which was caught with only novice skill and encouraged it softly to the left, proud of himself for but a moment before getting blown back by his knight’s shield, which had been thrusted in perfect time to hit Aventis’ profile sharply. The squire stumbled back, barely aware when his weapon was thrusted out of his hand by his knight. Aventis looked down, expecting to see a thin blade on the bridge of his nose, but instead was faced with his knight, his sword sheathed and his shield dropped negligently on the ground, his fists, encased in steel gauntlets, in fists, up protecting his face.

Copy my form exactly. I don’t know what you can do with your second pair, but do your best to accomodate.

The squire held his fists up, spreading his lower arms in shoulder length, locking his elbows and wrists at a taut forty-five degree angle, and waited for instruction.

The knight removed his gauntlets, dropping them inside the upturned crest of the fallen shield, then quickly returning to his previous position. “You know how to punch. If you don’t you’re a petching moron. To block a hit to your face or neck, hold your arms together and make a shield. my fist is gonna’ hit your arms and it’s gonna hurt. Bad. Live with it. Deal with it. Get stronger. Got it?” The knight instructed.

Aventis listened carefully, nodding his head when he was ready.

You say ‘yes, ser’ when I ask you a question, squire.” The man yelled, contradicting his earlier point. No matter.

“Yes, ser!” The squire yelled out, barely prepared for what came next.

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on November 22nd, 2014, 5:22 pm

A fist flew at the wall of meat protecting the squire’s face, pounding the backside of his arms with force that certainly took Aventis by surprise. The hit broke Aventis’ blocking stance, and he had little time to react to the blow. Before he could react, the knight threw another hook, catching the squire in the jaw. Immediately following the hit, Aventis’ stance broke, leaving him open to a fist to the stomach.

Aventis gasped, trying to regain the breath taken away from him by the grizzled knight, his four arms wrapped around his stomach. The squire buckled over, gasping for breath. It was then that Ser Utis raised both his fists above his head, and brought them down on Aventis’ upturned back with force that felt like it could crack concrete. The squire fell to the ground, his teeth grit in pain.

Awe c’mon. Really? A petchin’ Eyph doesn’t know how to throw a punch?” the knight yelled down at him. He sighed. “Fitting… I was never quite good…” He muttered, grunting as he bent down to retrieve his gauntlets, slipping them back onto his hands. He stood, stretching his neck and kicking his shield to where his squire fell, taking about three steps back, and drawing his short sword once again. “Pick it up.” The knight called out to him. “You’re just about worthless with your fists and so am I. Don’t worry about it. It’s a draw. Just pick it up.” The knight called out.

Aventis groaned, his top right hand reaching out for the shield. Grasping it, Aventis stood, coughing, doing his best to breathe. The knight sighed as he watched Aventis try to mimic his knight’s stance. “Just… Just take your time.” The knight said. “It’s not like I have somewhere better to be.

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on November 27th, 2014, 1:06 pm

x;]

He took a deep breath, taking in the atmosphere to his chest. He shut his eyes tight, shaking his head to wake himself back up. He took a deep breath, digging his feet into the ground. He gripped the shield firmly, nodding slightly. “Ready, ser.”

You sure, kid? You didn’t seem very okay a minute ago.

“Yes, ser. Just needed to catch my breath, ser.”

The knight nodded, calm as ever. “This is what I want you to do. I’m going to slash at you from the left. Follow the blow with your shield and you won’t feel a thing. Got it?

Aventis nodded and but half a tick later, he saw the tip of the old knight’s sword from above the brim of the shield. As he said, he was striking left, and as instructed, the squire followed the blow with the knight’s shield. Simple.

Good. Think you’re ready to get a little creative or do you want to run through this again?

“I’m ready to move on, ser.”

Stellar. Now, just like if I strike left you deflect left, if I decide to strike right, you deflect right. Got it?

Aventis nodded. An easy concept to grasp. “I do, ser.”

Alright. But if I strike downwards, you can’t very well move left or right, so I’ll give you a gamut. You can stop it by getting down on one knee and blocking it. It stops the blade and then you can stab or something with one of your other arms. I dunno’. You can also try to deflect left or right and then dodge the blade when, inevitably, it breaks through your defense. Got it?

“Just about, ser.”

Prove it.

With that, the knight brought his sword down with a ferocity that took Aventis by surprise. Quickly, he dropped to one knee, using the other as support as he pushed up against the sword, which was caught by the shield.

Now we’re in a competition of strength, squire.” He heard his patron say. “If I prove myself to be stronger than your fortifications, I knock the shield out of the way and plunge my blade straight through your head. You, on the other hand, have limited options.

Shyke…

You can hold out against me for as long or longer than I hold out against you, but that gets us no where. You have to be smart. Find a way to get out of Monica’s path. I can wait.

Shyke… He thought. There were, indeed, limited options. Okay… Okay… What can I do… Um… Alright… I can push the shield up. Yes. I can push the shield up and push myself to the right… Or… Oh. I have an idea… he thought, smiling to himself.

Aventis, realizing his options, pushed the barrier up as planned, overpowering his knight for just a second, but a second was all he needed. The knight’s arm flew up, allowing room for Aventis to knock it further by pushing himself up. By now, his lower right hand had already gripped the handle of his short sword, and he drew it from its sheathe quickly, knowing there was no time to waste. He didn’t bother thrusting or jabbing, he knew the old knight would expect that, so he utilized his limited time. While Utis’ sword arm was flung back, he, once again, swung himself by his foot to the opposite side of his knight. His sword arm, by now, was already searching for a target, but none was found. The squire wrapped the arm that held his knight’s shield around Utis’ neck gently, as to not choke the knight, but making sure that the only thing he could see was the inside of his own barrier. Aventis tapped the back of his knight’s armor, as to alert him of his presence, because it was only polite. Directly afterwards, he raised his leg, stomping on the inside of the knight’s knee, forcing him to one knee. He released the knight’s neck, kicking his back, and watching as he fell. He quickly rolled over, but was met with the tip of Aventis’ blade. Utis smiled up at Aventis approvingly.

“Gotcha’.”[/left]

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on November 28th, 2014, 3:04 pm

The knight nodded in approval, pushing Aventis’ blade away with his hand before pushing himself up and standing. Both men sheathed their weapons and stood facing each other, the squire standing once again at attention, letting his knight silently assess him.

Well…” He said, placing his tight fists on his hips and letting out a sigh formed more through weary contemplation than contempt. “You certainly got creative.

“Thank you, ser.” Aventis replied, silently jubilous.

Alright, squire. I’ll let you go. If you can tell me what you did wrong.

“What I did wrong, ser?”

Yes. What you did wrong.

Aventis thought for a moment, replaying the scene in his head. There didn’t seem to be any flaws…

Nothing?

“No, ser.”

You were gentle.

“Pardon, ser?”

Throughout your little production, you were merciful to me. This does not work in battle. When you pushed the shield up, you didn’t make sure that I couldn’t use my sword. You should’ve either slashed at my hand or disarmed me. Afterwards, when you spun around me, you wrapped your arm around me gently. I could still breathe. I could still turn right around and shank you. As well as that, you tapped my back. Adorable. But unproficient. Don’t do it again. And finally, when you asserted victory, you didn’t make sure that I wouldn’t hop right back up and start fighting again. I do that to you, squire, because you’re frail. You don’t know as much as I do. Next time, try to kill me. I can fend for myself. Got it?

“... Yes, ser. My apologies, ser.”

The knight sighed again. “It’s alright, kid. You did good. Alright?

“Thank you, ser.”

Alright. To see me next time, you need two things. You need a shield. Okay?

“Yes, ser.”

You also need some smarts. Go to the library. Find something about the knights and the gods we favor. You need to know this stuff. You’re resourceful, you can find your way around. Understood?

“Yes, ser. Understood, ser.”

The knight nodded, not knowing what else to say. “Alright… Alright. Get out of here.” he said, shooing his squire with a sweeping motion.

Aventis nodded, uttering a ‘thank you, ser’ before silently exiting the arena, cloak now at hand, smiling contently to himself.

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on December 6th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Due Rewards

“After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
― Philip Pullman

Aventis
Skills
  • Observation 4
  • Socialization 3
  • Weapon: Shortsword 2
  • Unarmed Combat 1
  • Shield 1
  • Endurance 2
  • Tactics 3
Lores
  • Unnecessary Formalities
  • Ser Utis: I Say, You Do
  • Shortsword: Parrying an Attack
  • Unarmed Combat: Defensive Stance
  • Unarmed Combat: Properly Blocking
  • Shield: Defense Turned Offense
  • No Room for Mercy in Battle

Shield Points: +1 for patron, +4 for training

If you have any concerns or questions about your rewards please feel free to send me a message. Also, please edit your original grade request and mark it as graded. Thank you and enjoy!
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)