[Alements] Of the Sun and Moon (Yra)

Theophates meets Yra.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Theophates on December 5th, 2014, 4:11 am

4th of Winter, 514A.V.
Alements, Mid-Afternoon

Praise in Riverfall, especially from the dark skinned natives, was no light thing. It was for that reason that Theophates made his way down past the Azurite tower to the docks in search of the establishment known as Alements. He had heard it praised as the best watering hole in the city by more than enough to make him curious. He wore no armor within the city save the leather gloves, and those more to combat the cold than any need.

He found the place with no real trouble, everyone on the docks knew it and was willing to direct him. The tavern was flanked by an elegantly crafted ship with a set of sleek hulls. He had been told to look for the beautiful craft. Theophates had never thought of himself as appreciative of sailing craft, not doing much of it himself. But he did find the boat more aesthetically pleasing than the majority he could see tied up here in Riverfall.

The patio was nearly empty now that the winter’s first chills were creeping into the city from the Suvan. Theophates decided he would relinquish the superior view for warmth as well. The interior of the tavern was a much different story from the chilly docks outside. Through doors with colored glass portals was a friendly haven that invited the patron in immediately. Cobbled floors immediately set the place apart from many inns and taverns Theophates had been to. He smiled, pleased so far by the experience.

The Ethaefal found an empty table and carefully let the sword and sheath fall from his shoulder. He leant the weapon against the table and pulled the cowl off his smooth head. Sitting down he glanced about eagerly at the other patrons. In his many years of life nothing had ever fascinated him more than strangers. The potential for both wisdom and beautiful naïvety was too great for him to ignore.

The place seemed relatively busy and the drinkers merry. Theophates let their laughs and murmuring voices wash over him. Then he inspected the menu in earnest. The medicinal drinks caught his eye, though he had no real need for one. This must have been why Alements stood above other taverns here.

Theophates rubbed his chin and waited for a server patiently.

Last edited by Theophates on December 5th, 2014, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theophates
(Theo•Fay•Tees)

Words: 10206
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2014, 7:09 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Yra on December 5th, 2014, 5:17 am

His server came within ticks of his sitting, skin glistening the warm colour of sunset's kiss and wearing the proud crown of arching horns that marked her as something other than average.

She carried herself with grace discovered at the closing of autumn, considering herself now to be an adult, someone she could rely on, and hoping to convey that to the people she interacted with, starting with Caelum and ending with his patrons, his subjects.

She looked upon the seated man, noting only that he was human, and offered the barest sliver of a smile that failed to truly brighten her features as they once had been, simply less than two seasons prior. She considered his features no different from those of other men. He could have been Tydus. He could have been the svefra who recovered her. He was unremarkable, but she still had to smile at him and help him feel welcome. It was simply engrained.

"Welcome," she said, her voice swelling from a murmur to it's normal volume, as if she were used to whispering. In speech, smiles came easier. She supposed it was because her mouth relaxed more. "Do you see anything you like?" Her head inclined quickly to gesture to the menu he'd seated himself with.
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Theophates on December 5th, 2014, 6:50 am

She was a sight he had not expected. Syna’s blessing was undoubtedly about her like the aura of a flame. The horns only served to confirm it. A flicker of excitement awakened an old feeling in his heart. His race were few and far between. The sight of another here gave him that long sought after warmth of companionship, even just for a moment. He turned green eyes upon her and stood.

“It is a lucky day when I am blessed to meet a daughter of Syna.” Theophates bowed deeply from the waist in an old fashion. He stood and permitted his gaze to stare at her a moment longer before reigning it in. He sat once more and set a finger to his lips in thought.

“I am inclined to go with the traditional mug of ale, please.”

Such a rarity as two Ethaefalen strangers meeting must be a moment of significance. He briefly wondered why he had seen no hint of it’s coming in the stars. Usually he was able to read the night-time skies with more skill than that!

He struggled with deciding whether or not to tell her about himself. But she seemed to be uninterested in him. Theophates did not want to over burden her with his excitement, she was working after all. Compromise. He would introduce himself and let her decide.

“My name is Theophates, and I would be honored if you graced my table for a while…when you have a moment, of course.” He made the request with a perfectly polite tone. He was sure she dealt with drunken sailors and lonely men every day. He did not want his intent mistaken for some shallow ploy motivated by some baser notion.
Theophates
(Theo•Fay•Tees)

Words: 10206
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2014, 7:09 am
Character sheet

Postby Yra on March 1st, 2015, 6:07 am

Frankly, when the man rose to his feet and exclaimed her for what she knew, and doubted, she was, Yra stepped back and regarded him as possibly mad. The thought to call out to whomever was on hand for assistance rose in her mind, as she was not a woman to consider herself in any way capable of fighting off a strange man, but the names for Caelum or his other staff didn't fall from her lips. Rather, they tightened, her head cocked to the left, and her eyes narrowed.

She might look hostile. After all, Yra had thought that the citizenry of Riverfall would have stopped looking upon her with a mixture of surprise, fear, pity, and curiosity. His reaction proved she had still to wait.

And then, to her surprise, his demeanor shifted and he returned to his seat, his expression of deep thought returning, and she was further taken aback. It was strange, more so than usual.

"Ale? As you wish," Yra murmured, noting his order. With his request for a moment of her time, she looked him over briefly with the intent to recognise whether he truly was mad or if he indeed simply wished to spend a moment in her company, which she associated with her appearance. It always came down to that.

Not accustom to actually refusing her customers, Yra inclined her head and excused herself. When she returned in the smallest handful of chimes, she did so with his mug of ale, a mug of tea for herself, and sat at his table with less grace than a woman of her bearing should have.

"I am allowed a moment," she said. With a subdued glimmer, her citrine eyes burned in the rays of Syna's joyous light. Even there, where Yra felt most comfortable and content, she didn't offer a smile. So subdued was the joy she'd been born with that smiles could not come easy, and wonderment was turned aside. "I am Yra. What did you wish of my time for, Theophates?" She saw nothing wrong with addressing him immediately by name. It was informal and sloppy, but Yra was still young. "Certainly your time might better be spent enjoying your drink."
Yra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Yra on March 4th, 2015, 6:41 am

The moments between their words, where she partook of her tea in silence and observed him through gleaming eyes, informed Yra that he must have agreed with her sentiment. The ale, she knew, was satisfying and crisp. It tasted of the autumn that had faded from the world; it was well worth enjoying.

For herself, she was not so easily satisfied by her drink. Even though there was flavour, and it wasn't unpleasant, Yra found that drinking it herself didn't appeal to her.

The silence between them, punctuated only by the murmur of other patrons enjoying their afternoon, was surprisingly easy. She was tireless in the sunlight and so rarely experienced need for a break, but this moment to herself was pleasant... even shared with the strange companion whom had called her to sit with him.

It couldn't actually last forever, however. A sense of duty chewed at Yra's innards; she owed Caelum the time he had invested in her. She owed him much. Time to herself must be ended.

"It was nice sitting with you," said Yra, running her hands over small creases in the fabric of her blouse. They actually didn't bother her, but it gave her something to do, something to busy her hands. It was less a habit and more an act of necessity, for Yra believed that she might become too rough with her mug if she let her hands idle too long.

Perhaps she'd become anxious.

His silence wasn't exactly encouraging, and so Yra did as she knew best; she inclined her head, allowing her horns to sweep low in deference, and excused herself from his presence. Her cup accompanied her as she brought it to the sink where it made house with other mugs.

Time to do work.

By necessity and a sheer lack of mugs to go around, Yra moved from serving onto dishes. A pot of boiling water was taken from it's position over the hearth's fire and half-emptied into the sink with a bar of soap and a clean dishrag. Dishes, being yet another task that Yra performed for the proprietor of the business, were something that Yra approached diligently and with no small amount of dedication. The water was to be warm, and so she made it hot. Soap was to be used, to make sure that the dishes were cleaned. Her skin turned red and smarted when she did the task, but it was a pleasant burn in the end. It told her the job was well done.

Washing the dishes also kept her mind from troubling thoughts in general. Frankly, she could let herself be to her thoughts for bells as she worked.
Yra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on March 15th, 2015, 5:24 am

E
E
Congratulations! You've Been Awarded:

Yra :
XP:
Socialization +2
Observation +1
Organization +1

Lores:

Theophates :
Theo, if you ever return to Mizahar, let me know and I'll add your grade here.

Notes :
Since Theo's gone, I didn't award any lores related to him, but let me know if you'd like them anyway. Sorry this thread ended before it really began!

If you have any questions or concerns about what was awarded, don't hesitate to PM me. When you're finished, please edit or delete your grade request from the grading queue.
E
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)