Hello all...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Hello all...

Postby Liriel on October 2nd, 2009, 6:14 am

Name: Haley, which is all you're getting :)

What sort of RP experience do you have if any?
Oh, I used to do this text-based RPG thing all the time. I tried several different forums, staying on some for only a few days (enough to realize they weren't what I was looking for) and a couple for a lot longer. I always enjoyed these games--they can be the perfect balance between writing and playing. I haven't played them for a while though, for a couple of reasons. 1) It's hard to find the time, 2) They're so often full of people who can't write/don't try, and 3) Often there just isn't enough activity--you post and don't get a reply for days.

So I was skeptical about joining this one, but it just looked so cool :) So detailed and creative, I just had to give it a try. I was concerned about activity when I saw how new it is, but there seem to be a good number of posts already, so here's hoping.

How did you find us?
A facebook ad, actually.

What do you like to write about - not write about?
I write mostly fantasy, though occasionally I'll write a sci-fi-ish short story. I've written lots of stories and two full-length books, though nothing published as of yet.

Whats your favorite thing about Mizahar so far?
Like I said, I love the depth and creativity. The maps and wiki articles are well done, and there are so many unusual races (esp. the little statue people). It's obvious a lot of thought went into the creation of this game.

What, if anything, has frustrated you about Mizahar so far?
I dunno. Lack of information in some of the wiki articles I suppose. Also, I wanted to start out in the desert area but there were no people playing there--everyone seems to stay in that one city.

What would you like out of the mizahar experience?
A game that doesn't take up too much time but I can post to at least once a day, where the people I'm playing with put some thought into their posts.

Is there anything you'd like to see expanded?
The wiki articles I suppose, though I know the site is pretty new. Also, it would be nice to have some creator-driven, overarching plotlines to contribute to. I know from experience that if you leave all the plot up to the players things tend to fizzle after a while.

Anything else you want to talk about?
Not really. I do have one question to put out there though--where are people getting their profile pictures and such from? I used to know good, legal sites for pictures, but they are pretty much gone now.
Liriel
Player

Words: 10961
Joined roleplay: October 2nd, 2009, 5:05 am
Race: Mixed blood

Re: Hello all...

Postby Siiri on October 2nd, 2009, 6:54 am

Hi Liriel! Love the name, is it from one of Elaine Cunningham's characters? I'm a fan, and so is Kammy (Kamalia). :)

Anyway, hope we can RP together sometime! My character started in a far off city though, but maybe she'll journey to where you are soon. Don't be put off by her violent tendencies though. :D

Oh yes, I almost forgot: WELCOME!
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Colombina on October 2nd, 2009, 6:55 am

Welcome to the site Haley, we're glad to have you :) . The game is fairly new, but we've been working on it behind the scenes for a while longer. Locations and blanks tend to start getting filled in where players show interest or nudge us. We're very receptive to players asking for attention to be given to certain areas.

You're welcome to start in the desert region if you like. Until other players start getting hip to how awesome a barren wasteland of sand is, I'm willing to do mod on one threads.

Now as per my tradition, I welcome you with a silly cake.

It's a computer cake!
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 2nd, 2009, 7:27 am

Hey Haley-

Welcome to Mizahar. I can assure you that the creators are really dedicated people that won't let the game fizzle out... my last big solo project lasted seventeen years.. and I hope Mizahar has at least that good of a run.

It's nice to see some fresh new people. I'll look forward to threading with you in any way I can - moderator, PC, etc... and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Like Colombina said, any development you might want done, just nudge us and we'll bump it up on our list.

I think a lot of people get their profile pictures from Deviantart.com... be sure to email or pm the artist though and ask for permission before you use it. There's also a few sites... I have some tucked away... that have wonderful photography ... my favorite one has over 2k pictures on it. Sadly the photographer passed away last year, but his wife has left open permission to me for using his stuff on Miza. It seems difficult at first, but there are images out there and available, especially if you ask. Also, there are a lot of sites you can buy images from for avatars that run in the neighborhood of ten or fifteen cents an image - dreamscape comes to mind.. that also allow you to use the image however you'd like.

Regards!

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarot on October 2nd, 2009, 8:06 am

Hi Haley,

it's great to have you here. As Goss said, Mizahar is a long term project to us, but we all have to start somewhere. If anything, the fact we're doing ads proves that we are literally putting our money where our mouth is. :)

You raised a lot of good points, and I'm going to start a high-level plot very soon. We also have a stub development request thread. If you put in a request for a certain topic, we'll know that article is wanted and we'll make it our priority to write it up.

Looking forward to writing with you (and very glad you liked my clay people!),
-Tarot
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Abashai on October 2nd, 2009, 12:47 pm

Welcome Haley!

I was kind of bummed at first because I play a Benshiran and no one was writing in Eyktol. However, I think once we all grow our characters some ,we will fan out. There are or will be soon so many great places to go! I know I will be going back to the desert sometime, and hopefully all over Mizahar. In the meantime, a lot of us are using flashbacks to write in our characters' region-of-origin.

Again, welcome and have fun!

Abashai
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Liminal on October 2nd, 2009, 11:30 pm

I took my avvy picture myself ^_~

Welcome to Miza! I hope you enjoy your stay.

And...my PC was in the desert too. Being um...educated...by Colombina. So you can probably talk her into something ^^
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Malia on October 3rd, 2009, 5:14 pm

Welcome, Haley!

I can assure you that the activity and quality of Mizahar is great. ;)

I also think that people will go out of the cities and experience wilderness or smaller cities, because that's just how adventure works. You start at a place where you have some nice interactions and first character development, and then you go out and explore new locations and secrets. At least that's how I like to do it.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Liriel on October 5th, 2009, 5:13 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone--I think this is definately the friendliest forum I've joined in a while. And thanks for the advice on finding pictures and whatnot.

I agree with what most people have been saying about the desert issue. I thought I would start in Syrilas where there are actually people to interact with, and then eventually get my character out of the city and into the desert. It ended up making better characterization sense to start her in the city anyway.

Thanks again, and I look forward to playing with you all. It's nice to see a game with a great concept and friendly people too ;)
Liriel
Player

Words: 10961
Joined roleplay: October 2nd, 2009, 5:05 am
Race: Mixed blood