[Windmount Stabeles] Riding With Rumors [Asen]

Ball meets a new Squire and trains them in riding...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ball on December 15th, 2014, 8:57 pm

"My Speaking" My Thoughts

3rd of Winter 514AV

Ball found himself curled up as much as he could into the thick fur bunched just below Imass’s neck, it was insanely cold and the temperature was affecting Ball’s ability to move and function. There were rumors about that there was a new squire in the city and they were looking for someone to train them in how to ride, rumors though were rumors yet Ball didn’t care. If there was indeed a squire willing to learn how to ride from someone, he might as well give it a shot. After all, he was still a squire and squires should help each other learn their knightly skills.

The temperature was annoying the little clay monster as he tried to bury himself deeper into the fur of his dog, yet there was only so much fur to hide underneath before he found skin, muscle, and bone. Grumbling he waited, occasionally looking out from the curtain of stinky fur he was behind looking around. Ball had no idea who this new squire was, let alone what they looked like. I guess I shall find out though… If the rumors are true. So he waited, it was still early in the day and Ball had a pretty good feeling that stables had an opening that was inside of the fortress… Stupid me. Nudging the dog into the stables both mount and rider passed the stables of horses, some were still snoring loudly in their slumber, others were being tended by stable boys or pages.

There was mutterings and murmurs. There was neighing and snorting... But mostly, there was warmth. Warmth and a roof. Sighing in relief Ball uncurled himself from the depths of his mount’s fur and looked around for a better look. Still, he saw no idea of who he was looking for, someone inexperienced? Someone looking for new friends? Friends I could use some more of…

Credit :
Created goes to Raus for aiding in the photo manipulation, Myself for color and transparency manipulation as well as box code. Character is accredited below
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Asen on December 15th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Holy Siku, it was cold out. Asen wasn't all that used to the Syliran weather just yet. She was far more accustomed to the (slighty) warmer Riverfall winters. And this? This was absolutely freezing.

The half-blood stood at the entrance to the Windmount Stables, feeling very unsure of herself. She pulled her coat tighter around herself. Horses were the last thing she wanted to be around, especially the massive warhorses she'd heard about. All that muscle and hair, and the hooves. She could be crushed, for Laviku's sake!

But she had to learn how to ride if she wanted to be a knight. The mixed blood took a hesitant step into the facility, watching the snorting animals warily. Her eyes flicked between each creature, searching for some sign, some excuse to leave. Unfortunately, there was nothing. She stood in the middle of the barn, shivering. A dog passed several lengths in front of her, carrying something on its back.

Asen did a double take. What the petch was that? It was small, and it was brown. More importantly, it moved. The lanky girl strode across the hay-strewn ground to get a better look. A few horses chuffed impatiently at the pages grooming them, startling the squire. She regained her composure and called to the dog, kneeling.

"Here puppy! Come here, puppy!" It was somewhat demeaning, but curiosity overcame her embarassment. The half-Dhani was ever wary of the huge beasts around her, though. Horses hated snakes, from her experience, and she stank of them. Asen pulled her coat tighter around herself. It was warmer in the barn, and she'd stopped shivering.

Asen
Kintsugi

Words: 136836
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 11:41 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on December 17th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Imass paused before the skinny girl calling at him. Ball knew already there were no other ‘puppies’ around, just his faithful stead. The dog though planted himself firmly, not moving towards or scurrying the other direction from Asen, it was clear from even the untrained eye that Imass was a dog trained for combat or at least in use by a combatant, even the horses didn’t seem to frighten it, even though rider could feel the dog quake underneath it’s layer of fur.

Ball frowned though and stood, his full three inches just barely peeking over the top of his mount’s head. “The puppy you are speaking of is no puppy but a mount. And he has a name.” Huffing he took in the girl before him. Young, inexperienced… Scared it seems almost. She is cold. Don’t blame her, cold is mine worst enemy too. Decreases flexibility it does.

“You must be the new squire I heard in the yard and dorms looking for assistance in training? Ball frowned. Actually, it may be the other one. I was supposed to meet up with one last season why I never met up I never can recall.

He motioned for her to come closer, “I am Ball. I am a squire in the Order. This is Imass.” The pycon squire gently patted Imass on his neck.

And you are Cold Pycon… Yes, Cold Pycon.

Credit :
Created goes to Raus for aiding in the photo manipulation, Myself for color and transparency manipulation as well as box code. Character is accredited below

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Asen on December 17th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Asen's jaw dropped. The damned dog was a mount? For that tiny lump? She blinked in disbelief before closing her mouth. Her brow furrowed in confusion. That... thing, it rides the dog? What in Siku's name... Whatever. It's too tiny to ride a horse. But a dog? Really?

The half-Dhani narrowed her eyes at the thing that called itself Ball. "Yeah, I'm the new squire. Why the petch are you riding a bloody dog? Isn't a squirrel more fit for you? I mean, I get that you can't really ride a horse, but a dog?"

She got up into a crouch and hopped over to the Pycon, then knelt again. Hesitantly the squire stretched out a hand to the canine, expecting it to snap at her. Her muscles tensed up, prepared to yank it back if teeth got too close to her fingers.

"His name's Imass? Weird name for a dog. I'm Sessaschenaasen. If that's a bit too big of a mouthful, you can just call me Asen."

The lanky squire jumped with surprise when a horse chuffed and pushed against the door to its stall. The wood creaked and she was afraid it would give and hundreds of pounds of muscle would trample her, but then it relaxed and she sighed.

"Gods, I hate horses."

Asen
Kintsugi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on December 29th, 2014, 5:43 pm

OOCSorry for a late response

“I ride a dog because I stand three inches tall.” Ball replied, he had no other answer beyond that. When she came closer to give Imass a chance to ‘meet’ her the squire took pause, he had no clue how the dog would react, but a simple sniff followed by a growl was enough to tense Ball as well, “You apparently no smell right.” Yet when she spoke her name, Ball realized then she wasn’t human.

“You have funny name. Only funny people have names. Funny names for funny people.” It wasn’t entirely visible to see Ball tensing but he had to force himself to settle down. Especially after he watched her jump to her feet after a horse snorted. This sent a rumbling chuckle from the pycon; the dog huffed out a chuckle sound as well.

“Heh you scared of a mount. Best way to remove that fear is to become a rider. Get on.” He pointed up at the horse.

Credit :

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Asen on December 31st, 2014, 9:06 pm

Asen frowned at the clay thing. "I don't have a funny name. That's absurd. I have a normal name for a Dhani. I'm half-Dhani, my da was full. I probably smell like snake to him. 'Sides, you call yourself 'Ball'. As if that's less strange than Sessaschenaasen."

She placed both hands on her hips, interested in the way the clay moved when Ball spoke. He took a strange shape. It was like a rolled cylinder with eyes and a mouth and a few limbs. And he was so tiny! She wanted to pick him up and throw him across the room just to see what would happen.

The lanky squire almost missed what Ball had said. "Wait, what? You want me to get on the horse?" She looked at the creature in the stall. It wasn't a very big one, but to the half-Dhani it was enormous.

With shaking hands she grabbed the halter and slipped it over the horse's head, watching other grooms do it before she did. Asen attached the lead to the halter, wary of the creature's mouth. She slid the lock out of place and opened the stall door, tugging gently.

The horse, a rather amiable beast who wasn't afraid of her, walked out behind the girl. The half-Dhani turned it around and wrapped the end of the lead around a bar, holding the horse in place. She looked around once more to see what the others were doing. Finding none who weren't already saddled, she turned back to the Pycon.

"W-what do I do now?" She'd never ridden before. She was scared of horses, after one had tried to step on her as a child. The memory resurfaced, the huge hoof aimed at her small chest. Her father, pulling her out of reach just before the sharp edge punched through her skin.

Asen shook it off and stepped away from the tied horse. She looked at Ball. "D-do I just like, grab a saddle? How do I put it on the horse? Do you use a saddle?"

Asen
Kintsugi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on January 15th, 2015, 5:23 pm

“At least others don’t have to shorten my name to speak it.” the pycon muttered as he looked up at her, “You family is the order now, And yes I want you to get on the horse. It’s okay. The stable boys won’t let it eat you.” I might. You talk far too much Cold Pycon.

Ball watched as Asen went and grabbed a set of lead and halter, she had looked more frightened than the horse she had chosen, she watched how the stable boys put the items upon the horse and she repeated it as best as she could. Yet when she turned to watch one of the boys place a saddle upon a horse all the beasts of burden were saddled and ready for riding. Ball frowned, he had no idea how to put a saddle upon a horse, let alone what one looked like.

Yet she asked him nonetheless about a saddle. Ball shook his body in a no formation, he didn’t have a head per se as he had no neck, but his whole body was just one lumpy bean form with an eye, four limbs, and a mouth. “I use no saddle, Imass is a dog, not a horse.” As if that was an answer to everything currently. Ball shrugged, “Just climb on to it and we shall go for an easy ride.”

The three inch Pycon motioned for her to get up on the horse.

Credit :

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Asen on January 20th, 2015, 12:49 am

Asen had just plucked up enough courage to try and get on the horse when she went over the clay creature's words again. She'd hoisted her right leg up to hook over the back of the horse, put set it back down and turned back to Ball.

"I'm not so sure I trust you. How do I know this thing isn't gonna eat me? You seem like the type who'd tell me 'oh yeah, it's fine!' just to watch me do something stupid!"

The mixed blood jumped back a few paces when the waiting animal shook itself and stamped its hooves impatiently. Her voice shook as she spoke to it, hands held out in front of her as if she were trying to approach and soothe a panicked beast. "Calm down, sheesh. I'm coming."

She placed one long-fingered hand on the horse's neck, the other on its back. Asen hoisted herself up to the point where she could almost put a leg over it, but her arms gave out and she fell on her back. With a frightened squeak she scrambled unceremoniously out of the way.

She climbed to her feet and brushed herself off, shooting a look at Ball to shut him up if he laughed. Her face was red with embarassment. However, she was not going to let that smug son-of-a-vagik (if it was even male) get the best of her.

Asen tried a different approach this time, putting both arms over the animal's back and pulling herself over it. Her stick-like legs wiggled amusingly before she managed to hook her right one over the right side. She shifted around until she was straddling the spine.

As the half-Dhani enjoyed her brief victory and rubbed her sweaty palms on her thighs, she realized one very important thing she missed: Reins. She'd forgotten the damned reins.

She groaned, rubbing her face. Not only did she forget reins, she was also faced with the obstacle of dismounting a living beast. She swung her right leg back over the horse and lowered herself to the ground -- without falling, surprisingly enough.

Asen trudged to where the bridles were kept and grabbed one, then returned to the horse. It took her few moments to figure out the tangled leather straps, but -- after holding it up to the animal's head several times and just as many failed attempts to actually put it on -- she managed to put the bit between its teeth and successfully slip the crownpiece over the poll. The rest was easy.

She took hold of the reins and laid them so they hung across the horse's neck, then hauled herself onto its back again. Sitting astride the docile creature, to whom she never gave enough credit, the half-Dhani held the reins so her wrists were facing upwards.

Turning to look at the Pycon with a smirk, Asen looked down her nose at it. "Ha. I did it."

OOCHoly heck. I think that's the longest post I've ever written. So sorry this took so long. I suppose since it's the one thing I actually know how to do (riding), it's easier for me to write in detail? I don't know. Again, sorry it took so long!

Asen
Kintsugi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on February 10th, 2015, 7:42 pm

When Asen struggled to get up onto the mount Ball remained still, he was of no help to her and if she wanted to learn how to ride she was going to have to get actually get up on the mount. When she goofed up with the reins Ball felt pity for her, having to watch her awkwardly dismount the horse and get one of the leather contraptions.

It was a bit longer and what appeared to be frustration on the half-Dhani’s part before she was back up onto the horse. He smirked and pointed against a wall at a set of small stools. “There are stools to assist getting up and down…” Shrugging and turning his mount around Ball looked back over his shoulder.

“Very good getting up there, now, gently nudge the horse and tried to steer it towards me and my mount as carefully as you can… Otherwise I will probably smack you harder than that horse could.”

Ball nodded and started the slow walk that Imass and he became so accustomed to using while walking through the city. It was a slow and steady movement that allowed both Ball and dog to take in their surroundings and keep an eye out for problems, it was also easy to keep up with for Asen… Best of all, it was lazy.

Credit :

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Asen on February 17th, 2015, 4:17 am

Asen gave a small laugh, clearly uncertain. "I- I'm sorry? Nudge the horse? No way, buddy. This thing's way too big to just nudge. I try an' tell it to move forwards, it's gonna go straight into a run an' I'm gonna fall off," the girl said. Her Riverfallian drawl had become more prominent from fear.

However, once she took note of his threat and realized that a piece of clay flying towards her face at high velocity would probably hurt more than falling off a horse, the half-Dhani obeyed. She flicked the reins the way she'd seen more experienced riders do, expecting the horse to begin moving immediately.

"C'mon, ya fat lard. Move!" she told it, flicking the reins again. The horse stayed put, chewing on the bit casually. With a frown the mixed blood yanked on the reins, but only succeeded in pulling the horse's head around to nip at her foot.

"Hey! Don't do that." She yanked on the reins again, and the horse tossed its head and let out a frustrated huff. Asen groaned as well, letting her arms drop to her sides. She had half a mind to give up and just get off the horse, but her other half -- the competitive half -- said to her sternly that there was no way this tiny little glob of mud was going to be a better rider than she.

"Move yer arse! C'mon!" she shouted, kicking the beast in the sides. To her surprise it shook its head and began a slow walk, its hooves clicking softly against the ground. It took a few ticks to get over her brief moment of success before she realized she had no idea how to work this thing.

"Oh gods. Ohh gods. Lady Siku help me. Laviku help me. Tell me how ta turn this thing." Asen pulled on the reins, then switched her grip so it was easier to hold. She drew one hand to her hip, the other laid against the horse's neck, and managed to bring the horse around towards Ball.

As she saw she was almost stepping on the Pycon's mount, the half-Dhani yanked back on the reins. "Hey, woah! Stop, stop, stop! Stop!"

Asen breathed a sigh of relief when the horse obeyed, forming an apology in her mind. The squire it was going to be delivered to, however, wasn't in his previous spot. A moment of searching and she found him (Him? It?) walking across the stable floor. The girl set off again, coming up beside the dog.

"So, is this how it works? I just kick the thing and then yank on the leather thingy when I wanna move an' stop?"
Asen
Kintsugi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next