Stalking [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Stalking [Open]

Postby Edalene on November 2nd, 2010, 10:02 am

25th of Fall, 510AV

Edalene was bored. And that was putting it lightly. She sat on the outskirts of the Stalk Meet, watching the coming and goings of the central meeting area. She needed to talk to someone before her brain imploded with loneliness. She had taken to sharpening her already sharp broad sword - and she sharpened that sword every night. She was that bored.

Usually, she would join in a conversation with someone she knew. How is it that no one she knew was at the Stalk Meet? *Everyone* is *always* at the Stalk Meet! Evidently not today. She sighed, gathered up her things and edged towards the camp fire. Throwing herself down on one of the seating areas, she tried to look as lonely as possible, hoping that someone would come and join.
Edalene
Something more.

Words: 160500
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2010, 9:01 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Stalking [Open]

Postby Vanator on November 3rd, 2010, 4:05 pm

Vanator wove his way from Feather Run, working his way from the tents of the Emerald clan back to his own pavilion with the Sapphires. He had purchased a wedding gift of sorts for Khiara, a shortbow and a quiver of arrows. His new wife had no discernible defensive skills whatsoever. Vanator had decided it was time she learned a weapon, so he had planned to teach her some archery. The unstrung bow was wrapped in a dark cloth, clutched in his hand, the quiver slung over his shoulder.

Van steered through the compound of the Topaz clan, near the Stalk Meet, clan's large meeting pavilion. Passing near the entrance, his eye caught a vaguely familiar face sulking near the fire. It was a girl with a rather large, beautifully etched broadsword across her lap. He slowed his pace, trying peg where he might have seen the teenager. The wedding. She was Diamond clan, not from Kashik's Pavilion, but she was somehow related to his first wife. He had no idea what her name was, there was a cascading flood of faces that night accompanied by a rapid-fire litany of names. Well, since she was kind of an in-law now, the girl was his kin as well.

Diverting his course to approach the fire, Vanator stopped near the young woman. She may have been related to Kashik, but she was very different in appearance from his dark wife. This Diamond clan's daughter was amber-eyed and freckled with reddish-blonde hair piled atop her head. Vanator cleared his throat to get the girl's attention. "Excuse me, I believe you were at my wedding."
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Stalking [Open]

Postby Kayiri on November 3rd, 2010, 10:34 pm

Kayiri was wandering. He did this a lot. With no duties to complete at this very moment, he needed some way to alleviate his boredom. Most likely, you have inferred this is wandering. There was no actual path or plan to his wandering, her just went wherever his feet or his Strider took him. The world before him turned into a cloud, entirely out of focus. It didn't matter when he was wandering, not in the slightest.

However, one figure in this cloud stood out. As he focused on this one figure, the rest of the world slowly came back into focus. A quick scan revealed his location. Why in the world was he in the depths of the Pavilions of the Topaz clan? His white garb stood out like a sore thumb, but at least it wasn't as clashing at as the blues of the man before him. With the stealth of a glassbeak in its stalking mode, the Drykas approached his close friend.

The moment he came close to the man, he pounced, playfully smacking the older man on the back, laughing heartily as he did so. He took two steps forward, and then playfully punched the familiar man's shoulder. A grin was flashed to the older man. "Bringing home a package for the new wives, eh?" he asked, looking at the elongated object that was held in his hand, and the quiver that was slung on his shoulder. A puzzled look played across his face, and only then did he realize Vanator's conversational partner.

Abruptly, he answered for her, a grin still on his face. "She was indeed! I always remember a face that pretty!" he declared. "I do not believe I exchanged names with her, though, which I deeply regret. I am Kayiri Starweaver, of the Diamond Clan."
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Words: 114225
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 2:35 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

Stalking [Open]

Postby Edalene on November 4th, 2010, 12:00 am

Monotonous sharpening of the blade with a hand held whetstone she had borrowed from the Clan pavillion without anyone knowing. A stretch out of the arm, a satisfying screeeech as the blade sharpened. A long sigh out.

I am so bored. Ugh.

As she sharpened, she looked around the campfire. Watching the coming and goings of the other members of Drykas, she noticed a tall, slightly buff man, making his way toward her. Vanator! She had been at his wedding, being a part of the Clan that his first wife was. Kashik was a distant relation, something like her third cousin, but no one had ever really bothered to trace the lineage. Eda, turned up at the wedding due to Clan obligations, hadn't actually interacted with anyone, the majority of guests being older than her by far, choosing instead to wander around the pavillion and eavesdrop on others conversations. Not that she would ever admit that. Vanator made his way up to her. "Excuse me, I believe you were at my wedding."

Eda hurriedly jumped to her feet, sword clanging to the ground in front of her. She winced, and grabbed it up again. Before she could reply, another young man, though older than her, pounced on Vanator. The conversation turned away from her, the newcomer making comments on the bow that Vanator held in his hands. A present for the new wife, she realised. While Vanator extricated himself from the exuberant young man, she examined him. He was tall, taller than Vanator, and clean shaven, with striking eyes and strong figure. Quite handsome. Eda blushed as he introduced himself to her, fidgeting at the flirtatious remark. "She was indeed! I always remember a face that pretty! I do not believe I exchanged names with her, though, which I deeply regret. I am Kayiri Starweaver, of the Diamond Clan."

Eda tried to reply, but as always when around new people, her rambling kicked into gear. "Hi, I'm Eda, or Edalene, whatever you like, of the Diamond Clan, as well, so I should know you but I don't, sorry." She turned to Vanator. "Yeah I was at your wedding, you're Vanator, obviously, you know your own name, your wedding was very pretty and romantic, sorry, anyway... Hi." She trailed off into an awkward silence.

I'm just going to crawl into a hole and die now, she thought.
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Stalking [Open]

Postby Vanator on November 4th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Vanator had seemed to startle the girl, who leapt up at his question, dropping the sword. He sported a smile, about to apologize for alarming her, but a solid smack to his back froze his word on his tongue. The older Drykas instinctively balled his free hand into a fist, cocked back instantly. But the grinning face of Kayiri swung into view, accompanied by another playful punch to the older Drykas' arm. Caught off-guard, Vanator could only laugh out "Kayiri!" He had no opportunity to answer the gregarious young man's question about the bow, as Kay's attention was already drawn to the girl next to Vanator. Without pause Kayiri was already on to answering the inquiry posed to the girl.

Van's grin took on an amused smirk as he listened to the tall warrior smoothly flatter the young swordswoman. His line appeared to have worked, as the woman, Edalene, blushed and shifted shyly. Vanator had been around long enough to see the mutual admiration already reflected in both of the youths' eyes. Edalene was polite enough to respond to the older man, though her stammered reply only betrayed how flustered she had become. Vanator laughed disarmingly. "Its alright Edalene, and thank you. It is nice to see you again. I guess we are family now." He looked back at Kayiri, slugged the man's shoulder and gave him a wink, hidden from Eda's view. "Kayiri, always a pleasure to see your mug again. I hope we can find time to hunt together before winter." Vanator then took a couple steps back, giving the other two some space. His wide smile remained, eyes on Kay, as if waiting to see what the brash young rider would do next.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Stalking [Open]

Postby Kayiri on November 5th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Aw, cute. She stuttered and stumbled along through her statement, rambling at points. He had met someone who had done that before, but he couldn't recall who it wa- Oh, wait. He was the one that rambled uncontrollably. Well, at least he could admit it, no? His mind briefly flashed back to the speech he had given Pygmy just over a season ago. A silent laugh went through his mind. Yes, at times, he rambled even worse than poor Edalene.

"Bah, worry not. The Diamond Clan is spread thin through the entirety of the Sea, it is not a crime to know nothing of one or two or a hundred Pavilions," Kayiri said simply. A hand gestured to her sword, and a grin played across his face again. "Aha, Diamond and a proud warrior! It warms my heart to see another," he declared with pride, thumping his chest. When Vanator commented on how he was please to see his face. The Drykas laughed once more.

"Aye, my mug and all its scars," he joked. "Aye, we should! I'm attempting to put something together for within the next tenday. You should tag along! Maybe, if I am fortunate, I'll be the one saving your ass this time around. I still owe you one, after all," Kayiri groaned sarcastically at this comment. "Damn me and my sense of honor, it'll get me killed some day, he then said playfully, folding his arms across his chest.

"So, since I already know what Mister Married Man here was doing, what were you doing before we barged in on you, Eda?" Kayiri asked. He settled down into a seated position on one of the stones nearby, all of his attention devoted to her and her response.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

Stalking [Open]

Postby Edalene on November 9th, 2010, 8:17 am

Tension dissapated after she saw how warmly the two older men greeted her. She let out a sigh, watching the two interact. Eda had grown up without ever having the easy camaderie the two before her had. The banter flowed easily from their lips, nicknames and in jokes being referenced galore. "Mister Married Man" and a reference to what she assumed had been a hunt in which Kayiri had saved Vanator. Eda had always wanted that, but due to the fact that she was still viewed as a child from her lack of windmarks and a Strider, she was very thin on the ground when it came to close friends.

She smiled as Kayiri pointed towards the sword, which was was currently cradling close. As the two men began to make plans for a hunting trip soon, she picked up the scabbard lying on the ground nearby, and slid the blade into its home. She admired the way the campfires light played across the sword, illuminating her knots. Despite the fact that she wasn't a complete natural with the sword, it really was her most treasured possession.

Startled out of her reverie by a question in her vicinity, her head snapped up. She was caught unawares by Kayiri's question, and as always, her rambling began. "What was I doing here? Oh, just sitting, cleaning my sword, by myself, I think my fatyher's back at our family pavillion but I'm not sure, I don't think he really expected me back anytime soon sorry I don't think--" She took a deep breath and repeated her favourite mantra inside her head. Calm is good. Sophisticated is good. Shut your mouth, girl! She smiled hesitantly and sheepishly up at them. "Sorry. In case you haven't noticed, I ramble if no one stops me. Your question Kayiri?" She managed to look the handsome Drykas in the eye, or near to anyway. His nose counted, right? "I was just sharpening my sword. It's from my father. It was sharp already, but after a day of aimless wandering, you'll take anything to keep you occupied." She smiled up at Vanator, eyeing the new bow she saw dangling over his arm. "Is that a present for the new wife, Vanator?" She smiled at both the young men.

Please, please let me not seem like an idiot. This is the best conversation I've had all day! Seriously, Eda, thats quite sad...
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Stalking [Open]

Postby Vanator on November 11th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Vanator smiled broadly at Kayiri. "Yes, I have been knee deep in domestication lately, I good hunt would do me good, plan on me coming along...if only to keep you out of trouble." He turned towards the young woman. "Edalene, you will have to have him tell you how I saved him from certain death at the hands of three angry Zith!" he laughed again, patting the younger man on the back.

He stepped back again as Kayiri made his inquiry about the girl. He grinned as she spoke, eyes fixated on Kay. He laughed to himself, thnking that, if Edalene needed something to do, Kashik would certainly put her to work.

Her attention turned to him with a friendly smile. He looked down at the bow she had asked about. "Yes, this is for Khiara. She is from Avanthal, and apparently they do not teach their children how to defend themselves there!" He teased, not really sure if they did or not, but he had time now to learn those things from her. "So, I am going to teach her how to use a bow. It is a fitting weapon for her, If not the most romantic gift." His bright smiled erupted again.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Stalking [Open]

Postby Kayiri on November 15th, 2010, 6:42 am

A quiet laugh and a small smile played across the man's lips. "You and I both, Edalene. We should speak more often, so that we can ramble endlessly at one another," he chided playfully. Eyes fell upon Vanator as he brought up the story.

Oh Gods, here we go again. The proud warrior shot up to his feet, clearing his throat, shifting his sword on his hip. The Drykas began collecting his thoughts in his head as he decided how exactly to go about this recounting of the tale that everyone who knew him had heard one too many times. "Last Winter, a Zith did something more daring than anyone would expect. It snuck its way through the outskirts of Endrykas, past shining blades and sharpened arrows, and entered my tent. At the time, I was lodging with a woman that went by the name of Hex, whom had arrived in Endrykas only a few days earlier from the southern reaches of the desert," the Drykas paused, nodding at Vanator, as he had known her too. Then, he returned to his tale.

"She detected the animal before I did, as it entered our shared tent. Before either of us could react, its foul, clawed hand had wrapped around my bow, which was laying on the ground. Her screams awoke me from my slumber, and I flew into a rage! A monster had entered my tent, and was defiling my possessions!" a quick glance around them showed him he had enough room to move around while he told the story, and they were out of the way enough that he thought no one would come close enough to them to be disrupted by his actions. His right hand flew down to the leather-wrapped hilt of his familiar blade, pulling it from its sheath. "I rose to my feet, and drew my sword. This intruder would die by my hand! I swung at him, but in my haste, missed, instead damaging my tent," the Drykas mock swung his sword, a quick, overhead slash. "With foul, tainted claws, the monster swung at Hex, slicing open her back! Before I could react, the creature fled, springing into the air like a bird. I thought my bow was gone, but Hex was not out yet. She produced a knife from within the folds of her clothing, and with the eye of an eagle and the hand of a true marksman, flung it at the fleeing Zith!" He pretended to throw a knife up into the air.

"Her knife struck true! The creature cried out in pain. She had injured it! She had caused the transgressor grave injury! It could not escape us now. When she recovered, we tracked it by the smell of its blood, following it non-stop over the vast expanses of the Sea. We were unrelenting in our pursuit, hell-bent on seeing my bow returned to me. About thirteen days into our journey, we met two more men, Vanator and Dachua. Despite the fact they gained nothing, they both agreed to aid us in our quest. However, Dachua was a spineless coward-- as you shall later see-- whom more likely than not perished in the darkness of the night, cold and alone, at the hands of the monsters," obviously, the man harbored some residual hatred for Dachua.

"Seven more days brought us into the depths of hell itself, the heart of darkness. We set up camp in a cave for the night, too frightened to sleep. Together, we discovered a hidden tunnel within the cave, and proceeded to move the rubble before it," Kayiri pretended he was pulling on a large rock, and then threw a glance over his shoulder. "The Zith had emerged from their hiding for the night! By the hundreds, they took to the air, smelling out their prey, be it animal or Drykas. We flew into a panic, prying at the rubble with renewed vigor. Finally! It budged! We entered with no lack of haste, but quickly noticed something was out of place. Dachua, in all of his cowardice, had uped and fled! The coward!" Kayiri spat out the name like it left a bad taste on his mouth. "The path hidden behind the rubble led to a dead end. We returned to the main cave, deciding to make our stand in the more open area,"

The Drykas took a deep breath, collecting himself for the culmination of his tale. The sword finally found its way back into the sheath, and the sheath made its way onto his back. "One Zith stood in the mouth of the cave, holding an object that was so familiar to my eyes that it hurt. My bow!" a face of surprise crossed over the Drykas. "With no respect for the masterful craft, it threw it onto the ground, and proceeded to... proceeded to defile it," Kayiri had to pause for a few brief moments. Even the memory of this insolent act sent chills and rage through his body. "I could not stand for this! I would not! I refused!" He drew his sword from his back, holding it in two hands. "I issued a cry of challenge, one more savage than the monster before me could bear, and with that, sprang forth! With speed as fast as the Striders we love, I closed on the Zith, screaming with pure rage. I would slay him! I would smite him, if it cost me every ounce of power within me! My first blow struck true, tearing the flesh that covered his chest,"

"But it was a trap! Two more monsters emerged from the blackness of the night, and with the third, attacked in unison from all sides. I could not deal with them all! Claws found their way into my arm, leaving it wounded and maimed," the Drykas lifted up his arm, showing the long mark that ran from his shoulder to his elbow. Lovely, knotted scar tissue. He then return to his story. "A torch, flung forth by either Vanator or Hex, found its way to me, and was scooped up in the injured arm. In desperation, I began to fight the Zith back with shining iron and blazing flame. My blade struck true, lopping the hand off of one whilst my fist knocked teeth from the other's mouth," he made a slashing motion and a quick flailing swipe with his fist. "But alas, I could not hold them forever! Another hand was lucky, swiping my face," he tilted his head back, showing off the prominent scars on his cheeks. "My blood dripped to the ground with theres, but I would not stop, I would fight until I could no longer steal breath from Dira's lips!"

"Vanator and Hex saw my struggle, and charged forth to my aid. Van claimed the wings of one with a mighty swing of his ax, whilst Hex lit the second alight with a clever combination of torch and oil. The blazing Zith lit up the battlefield for Van and I, and the final Zith, left untouched, drew a blade. He was mine. I would exact my revenge on him, for defiling my bow! I swung with wild abandon, up from the ground, aiming to cleave through his abdomen and out under his arm!" he demonstrated the strike, a diagonal one from ground level. "It struck, but so did his swipe. He cut my own abdomen, leaving a scar from a blade that had not seen enough care," he pulled up his shirt just enough to show off the pink tissue, and then lowered it once more.

"We had won! The three Zith lay dead or dying on the ground around us, the smell of charred flesh fresh in the air. Everything beyond that is a blur, I remember nothing more than exhaustion, blood and darkness. All I know is that I survived, and I escaped with my bow. That was all that mattered then, and it still is now," Kayiri sheathed his sword, and settled back down on his rock. No doubt Vanator hate himself for starting Kayiri on this path, and Eda had learned never to let Kayiri tell a story, for he rambled.

"Bah, what is this? A place where children do not learn to use a weapon? That is like saying that there is a place where children do not learn to walk!"
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

Stalking [Open]

Postby Edalene on November 17th, 2010, 7:07 am

Smiling awkwardly at Kariri's chiding, Eda cocked her head in confusion towards Vanator. "Three angry Zith? Seems like a tale worth telling..." Her statement was met with a large sigh from Kayiri who then got ready to tell the tale. She smiled towards Kayiri, indicating her willingness to hear the tale.

She soon realised that letting Kayiri get started was perhaps not the best idea - a rule that definitely also applied to her. As Kayiri got to his feet and cleared his throat, Eda settled in ready for a nice, quick tale that would be joyful and amusing. Joyful and amusing it was, but quick? Not so much. As Kayiri began his monologue of thought, it was clear that he was becoming more and more involved in the retelling. More detail was added, and Kayiri began to re-enact the events of that day. It was clear that Eda was in for the long haul.

Eda laughed when he brought out his sword to re-enact the battles. With every overhead swipe and downward thrust, Eda became more and more incapacitated by laughter. Despite the length of the epic that Kayiri seemed determined to create, Eda found herself laughing more than she had for a while. Kayiri's passion for his story and real joy in acting it out was evident, and Eda admired his confidence, eloquence and his shining eyes. It was a long tale - but it was the best she had heard for a while.

It was with a solid disappointment that Eda listened to the ending of Kayiri's tale. As Kayiri settled back down onto the rock besides Eda, she burst out in further laughter and applause. Smiling widely at Kayiri, she spoke with great warmth. "That was fantastic, Kayiri! Very humorous. Lengthy, but worth it."

She turned to Vanator, her eyes still sparkling with mirth. "And you, were very courageous! It was lovely of you to help someone you barely knew like that." Eda's posture became much more relaxed. She genuinely liked these people. "Do you think... Khiara, I believe, will be good at the bow? Hopefully she'll gain some Drykas skill!" Actually, Eda thought dryly, it would help if I myself got some Drykas skill with the bow...
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Next