Closed [Trainer's Pit]A Sparring Round, Part 2

Jaymz and Vanessa continue their training, this time teaching each other some new techniques.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Trainer's Pit]A Sparring Round, Part 2

Postby Jaymz on December 21st, 2014, 5:54 pm

Winter 29th 514 AV, 12th bell

The Fighter's Pit was still quite busy, and Jaymz and Vanessa had definitely drawn a crowd with their fighting. Their aim was a little bit different now, however. They had agreed to try to teach each other some basic moves in their own fighting skills. Vanessa with her mostly sword, direct fighting style, including feigns and parries and dodges. Whilst Jaymz would try to teach her some basic hand-to-hand combat moves.

She had told him that she had never taught anyone, and seemed a little bit uncomfortable with the aspect of it. Jaymz gave a reassuring smile in response. It felt wrong on his face, alien. But he knew smiling was a sign of friendliness, and he considered this new woman his friend.

"I suppose I will try to teach you first, then," He suggested, than rolled his neck and shoulders and laid his scimitar on the ground "First things first, we're going to try some basic unarmed combat moves, so you can get a feel for how to integrate that into your sword fighting." He said, and waited for her to put her own sword down. She was a squire, so she should have at least a little bit of unarmed combat skill, but he was going to show her some nonetheless.

"I'm sure you are already at least a little bit trained in hand-to-hand, so you should know the number one rule," Jaymz said, then raised her eyebrows at her, but without waiting for a response, he answered, "Never lose your focus. Always watch the other person's slight shifts to try to guess what their next move will be. What leg are the leaning on, did the muscle in that arm just flex? It's the little things that will gave your opponent away, like this." He showed a little demonstration of watching a person's movements by slowly leaning forward on to his right foot and then swinging out with his left, a kick aimed at Vanessa's side. He dropped his foot back to the ground.

"You could see how my momentum shifted, all of my weight moved to my right foot. So it's easy to guess that the next move will either be a kick or the person is lunging forward. Either way, you should be prepared." He ended his first instruction and then moved on.

"In my opinion, the most important thing to know in a fight is pressure points. The easiest ones are here," He lightly touched his fingers to Vanessa's forehead, "Here," He pointed at her eyes, "And here," His fingers lightly touched the bridge of her nose, "With enough force, you can knock a person out of submission for at least a few seconds, if not the whole fight. Try using your elbows, or a good kick will do that too." He finished his first explanation, then backed up to ready himself for a fight.

"Now come at one of the pressure points I just showed you, using anything you want, and I'll try to deflect it." He raised his hands up by his face, holding them in a loose fist, and stood ready to deflect whatever attack Vanessa would bring at him.
Jaymz
Equestrian Squire

Words: 17287
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2014, 9:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanessa Lawson on December 21st, 2014, 6:30 pm

A reassuring smile from the man managed to calm her a bit, and she nodded as he began to explain. Of course, integrating unarmed fighting into her sword fighting wasn't something she was used to, unless she had a shield, but this was different. She would actually be fighting with to different styles at once. Granted she had tried earlier, but it was difficult do to the weight of her blade.

As with everything, Jaymz explained the basic rule to his style of fighting. To focus. Of course, every style of fighting required a certain degree of it, but according to his explanation unarmed combat required all of it. She watched carefully as the man shifted his weight to the right, and sent a kick her way. She stood unfazed, just focusing on his movements as she assumed and was correct that he wasn't actually going to strike her.

She nodded, but otherwise stayed silent as he continued. A gentle tap to her forehead, a point at her eyes, and another tap to the bridge of her nose were identified as pressure points that could give her a large advantage. When finished he gave her space and instructed her to try out her own method. It sounded simple enough, but if it required so much focus, she'd have to add something to keep her moves from being detected right?

Vanessa inhaled deeply, exhaling through her mouth. Alright, time to learn. She shifted all her weight to her right before taking a quick-step forward, and making a swift stride left directly in front of Jaymz. A clumsy jump to the left once more put her behind him, and her elbow as before went to jab sharply between his shoulder blades.

She clearly remembered the sharp gasp and the forced step forward from there earlier fight. If she was correct, perhaps this was also a pressure point. She took a mental note of the location before jumping back out of range. She hoped she was correct, mainly because she didn't exactly want to go for the pressure points fore-mentioned. Why? Simply because powerfully hits to any of those locations could cause permanent damage.

"I assume that between the shoulder blades are also a pressure point. Is that correct?" The raven-haired woman questioned. It was hard to tell. It could just be painful, but either way she would look into it a bit. It seemed like a good place for heavy hitting, and as far as she knew there were no serious dangers to the body there unless she hit the spine directly.
Vlog | 4/6 Threads | Plotnotes
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Words: 56894
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2014, 5:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jaymz on December 23rd, 2014, 9:31 pm

The woman went forward, a little bit hesitantly, and surprised Jaymz by instead jumping around to his left side. He heard her feet slide in the dirt and then she was on the other side of him. He took a quick turn, following her movements, and caught her elbow with his hand, jarring his arm up to the shoulder.

What is she trying to do? He thought in his head, a little bit bewildered. She had an acute focus on the sensitive areas of the back. It was smart, but a little bit difficult to get to if your opponent is ready for it.

She questioned about the pressure in between the shoulder blades. He nodded once in a quick answer and then took the elbow he was holding in his left and pulled her to him so he could bring his right and put it in what would be a choke hold if he was using any force which he wasn't.

"That is correct. A strong enough blow to the spine of the back could either render someone immobile for life, or immediately kill them." He answered her question then continued with his lesson.

"Now in this position, I have your right arm, it is momentarily useless," He gestured to the arm he held in his left in a tight grip, "But your left arm is free. You would use the heel of that hand directly up under my elbow, pushing up with as much force as you can muster. This will loosen the grip of my hand on your throat, in which you would get a chance for a quick counter attack. Try using your knees." He explained his hold, which was in no way hurting her but only for example.

He hoped she would not be too violent in her counter, but he prepared himself for the worst nonetheless.
Jaymz
Equestrian Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanessa Lawson on December 24th, 2014, 9:11 pm

A nod from Vanessa was all before she was put into a gentle choke hold. So in this position my arm is useless. She thought, listening to the man while examining the hold she'd been put in. Apparently if he'd applied pressure it would put force to her throat, thereby closing the windpipe. In this situation her other arm was still mobile, but the man had instructed her to use her knees. Very well.

A knee to the stomach would be preferred, then she could duck out of the hold the moment his grip loosened. Then hopefully it was a simple matter of getting in a counter-attack. Then again, this was a lesson, so the counter would be left out. Sending her knee out, she aimed for the pit of his stomach, not to hard, but enough to loosen the grip, in which case she would drop to squat before lunging out of range.

He teaching was accurate, giving her voiced instructions before letting her try it out on her own. Something she guessed he would appreciate himself if she did it right. Not being the time she decided to ask some questions to get a better understanding.

"What if I'm the one giving the choke-hold? What would I be able to do if I was countered?" She prompted, her full attention on the man ahead of her. She wasn't exactly out of range, but that wasn't the issue. If she was the giving the hold, then she could easily be countered herself, so there had to be a method against it.
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jaymz on January 7th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Vanessa tried her own tactics, bringing a knee up against his stomach. He let it hit him, the blow not strong enough that he couldn't take it, but enough that he let her slip out of his grip and lunge out of the way.

He smiled and put his hands on his hips, "Very good! Smart tactics." He admired her use of the information he just learned and listened to her next question. Jaymz thought for a second before answering.

"In reality, a choke hold from the front is not preferable during a fight. One from the back, an elbow around the neck in a tight grip, could knock your opponent out." He explained, but decided he wouldn't show her that at the moment, that was something best saved for another lesson.

Jaymz thought back to the many lessons he had been given from random knights and squires in the Pit. Different kinds of stances and holds and evasions. The second most important rule, don't let your opponent near your eyes. He should focus on blocking.

"Alright Vanessa, I want to work with the sword now. We're going to try blocking and evading attacks with a weapon." He said, bending down to pick up his own scimitar. It would be strange to try to teach her with a completely different sword than his own, but it was the only sword he knew how to use.

"Just remember, watch my movements carefully. I'm going to go slow at first and then we'll move on to the real stuff." He smiled for reassurance and waited for Vanessa to claim her own sword and say she was ready.
Jaymz
Equestrian Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanessa Lawson on February 1st, 2015, 2:02 am

Vanessa thought out her option carefully. Jaymz was heavily experienced in unarmed combat, where as she in swordplay. However his explanations were good enough to follow and understand. She nodded curtly and kept her eyes on the man. He could easily try something on her and she didn't want to disappoint by being caught off guard.Vanessa smiled and drew her broadsword. It would be an awkward lesson since they both wielded different blades, but it would be interesting nonetheless. She was glad to find a partner who was actually willing to teach and be taught. "I'm ready when you are."

OOCSorry it's short. I wanted to get something up soon.
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on March 27th, 2015, 10:16 pm

Jaymz

Comments :
If you come back please PM me and I’ll be happy to award you your grades.

Vanessa

Skills:
Skill EXP
Acrobatics +1
Unarmed Combat +2
Tactics +2
Observation +2
Socialization +2

Lores:
  • Pressure points: Forehead, eyes, nose and between the shoulder blades
  • Combat: Watch for weight shifts to predict moves
  • Unarmed combat: Importance of focus
  • Getting out of a choke hold

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+1 Training

Total: +1 Shield Point

Comments :
Too bad this got abandoned. It was really fun reading the last thread you did with Jaymz. I awarded what I could.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread. However, make sure to keep the link so that the DS can review graded threads with ease.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)