Completed In Hot Water (Garland)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby April Windweaver on December 28th, 2014, 6:41 am

Winter 12, 514 AV

She dreamt of the sea again.

She was floating on her back, staring up into the sky. The sea stretched out in every direction. She was at ease, the waves pushing her farther and farther out into the big blue while her worries and fears sat idly at whatever shore she departed from.

Hours upon hours she drifted across the sea with nothing but her thoughts to occupy her. She thought of gold and treasure, knights and squires, cats and dogs, anything really. Out here, in this dreamscape, she was safe. Secure. It was a feeling she wanted to cling on to for eternity.

Her body eventually washed up on a strange and foreign shore made of something that resembled sand but felt artificial in nature. It smelled of waste. When she looked up, she could see a towering pile of... something, with a grand fortress set atop it. Then she woke up.

With a groan and a grunt, April lifted her head and surveyed the room. Still old, still dusty, still a boat. It was small, cozy, and all together pleasant. Her home sweet home out on the Suvan Sea. Even here in the grand city of Syliras, she opted to stay inside her ship rather than brave the streets of the city. But maybe today would be different.

Next order of business was to get out of bed and get ready for the day. So to that end, April laid her head back down and ended up sleeping for another ten minutes before waking up again. Whoops.

Second try. This time, April managed to gain enough consciousness to start rubbing the sleep from her eyes and flip onto her back. She let out a sigh. How late was it? It felt fairly early in the morning, judging by her biological clock, but she didn't really care to go outside and check. It seemed like today would be harsher than the last. With the drastic drop in temperature April was sure that a blizzard of epic proportions was on its way. And she really didn't want to get caught inside her ship for that lest it break free from the docks and get sunk out at sea.

She shook her head and literally rolled out of her hammock bed onto the floorboards next to her new friend. She looked over and remembered she had company. Garland, the handsome and somewhat mischievous squire who had befriended April the night prior. He was still fast asleep in the bedroll. She noticed with some degree of curiosity that he was not wearing a shirt. It, along with the rest of his clothes, were piled up next to him. Looks like someone likes to be 'al-naturel'. She stifled a giggle and focused on getting herself dressed.

She threw off her tunic and pantaloons and threw them into the ever-growing pile of dirty laundry in the corner of her room. She had to do something about that eventually. This weather did not encourage her to do the washing herself, but it was getting to a worrying degree of uncleanliness.

After changing out her undergarments for a cleaner set, April threw on two layers of plain white shirts, a pair of thick pants, a heavy coat, boots, and some tattered old gloves. It was nothing spectacular, but it would keep her from meeting a bitter end out in the winter wonderland just outside her door.

Last order of business was to rouse the young man on her floor. She nudged him with her foot.

"Hey, sleepyhead. You awake yet? C'mon, I don't want to be stuck inside this boat all day"

Last edited by April Windweaver on January 13th, 2015, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common - Fratava - Thoughts
-
So call the mainland from the beach
All parties now washed up in bleach
The waves are rising for this time of year

And nobody knows what to do with the heat
Under sunshine pylons we'll meet
While rain is falling like rhinestones from the sky
-

Scrapbook - Character Sheet
April Windweaver
Authentic Pirate Booty

Words: 55338
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2014, 5:52 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby Garland on December 28th, 2014, 7:28 am

Garland had been asleep when April had woken up. He felt an icy chill on his body, he had thought the blankets or his clothes would keep him warm.

Clothes? Garland thought, then he remembered that... subconsciously he would take off his clothes when he slept. He felt a soft nudge to his arm. "H-Huh? What? Where am I?" He said, half-asleep. "A-April? Is it morning already?"

He sat up, not really realizing that he was currently stark naked on April's ship. "Morning I guess." He yawned and stood up, his blanket dropping down to the ground and revealing a little more than what others have seen. "Kinda breezy today..." Then he decided to look down, and with a shrill scream akin to a little girl being scared by her older brother he took the nearest piece of clothing and covered up his privates.

"S-Sorry you had to see that." He said, blushing as red as a tomato, and trying his best to cover his manhood. He quickly grabbed his shirt and put it over his head, he tried streching it down to try and cover more areas of his body. "C-Could you turn around, April?" He said, motioning her to turn with his free hand.

He grabbed up his pants and other clothes, hoping he could at least try to save face, by covering up with his own clothes instead of April's dirty laundry. "A-Again, s-sorry..." He coughed out and quickly threw on his underwear and pants. "W-Well, I hope that wasn't too strange for you..." He said nervously and then moved a bit father away from her, trying to cover his blushing face.
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby April Windweaver on December 28th, 2014, 8:44 am

"Oh my..." Blood rushed to her cheeks as April caught sight of Garland in all his..."glory". It was unexpected, for sure. In fact it was so shocking that April was frozen in place, her lips spread into an evil grin as her gaze locked onto his exposed torso. There was a twinkle of mischief in her eye.

"Well, good to see that at least part of you is awake this morning, hehehe~" she giggled with a finger to her lips. It was a bright and bubbly sound that made her body ripple as it came out. A full-body laugh.

As per his request, April turned to face the wall, still blushing like a schoolgirl who catches her friend behind the bushes with a boy. The image was still burned into her memory, though, in high definition. Full fidelity.

A few moments passed before she turned back to the fully-clothed squire with a face so pink that he looked like a rare steak. It was both adorable and hilarious. Day two of their friendship and the two of them had already seen each other in the bare. Well, to an extent.

"It was strange, I'll give you that. Not the strangest thing I've ever seen, though. But a good contender." She let out another giggle and shook her head. "You men are all the same. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Now I think you owe me some breakfast for that incredible fright." She crossed her arms and looked at him with the same stupid grin.
-

-

April Windweaver
Authentic Pirate Booty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby Garland on December 28th, 2014, 3:33 pm

"Well, good to see that at least part of you is awake this morning, hehehe~"

"U-Uhh... I-It's not that awake..." He said and covered his mouth. "Did I just really say that?" He coughed and tried to gather up his composure. He decided to leave his armor there for the moment, he can pick it up later

"Please don't act like you enjoyed it. This is awkward enough as it is." He gave a smile along with his blush. He crossed his arms and went out of their little cabin. The air was cold and there was frost and snow on the deck of the ship, along with rain that had poured through the night

"You men are all the same. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Now I think you owe me some breakfast for that incredible fright."

"What is that suppose to mean?" He asked, his blush finally being removed from his face. "And I hope you don't mean that I should cook? I'm more likely to poison you by accident then actually serving up something edible."

He rubbed his hands together and took a deep breath. "Love the fresh air! Anyway, hungry? I'm sure we can head off into the city for breakfast? Or if you want I can try and make something that won't kill you. I think I would rather take my chances in town." He said honestly. The cafes and eateries in town should be open by now, they need to wake up early to cook the food for the people in town. "Mind if I leave my gear here for the moment? My shift won't start till... Noon I think. No sense lugging around a giant metal suit while off-duty."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby April Windweaver on December 29th, 2014, 5:08 am

April was amused by Garland's awkward response. It was fun to watch. It was in her nature to make trouble, and never was it more obvious than it was now. She loved to poke fun and tease others to the point of embarrassment. It was all in good fun, of course. She never did it out of spite, it was simply case of Schadenfreude.

"Please don't act like you enjoyed it. This is awkward enough as it is."

Feigning innocence, April put her hands behind her back and gave a toothy smile. You could almost see the faux halo above her head. Now, it would be quite a convincing gesture if April wasn't such a bad liar. Her eyes still betrayed the almost insane amount of pleasure she was experiencing. Garland was just too much fun

"Well, I'd be amazed to see what you could cook from beef jerky, apples, and some rotten cheese, but I think I'd rather take my chances in town. Although... erm... well..."

Oh, right. A bit of an oversight. April didn't do well with crowds. It had never been a problem during her voyages at sea, but in the clustered streets of the city she felt strange and out of place. It was hard to breathe in such a tense atmosphere, and often times she had to rush into a nearby shop or back to the docks to keep from going into a panic attack.

She pulled out her pipe and Temper, regarding the dose with a degree of uncertainty. She didn't usually smoke this early. However, if they were going to brave the streets of Syliras, one of the biggest capitols of Mizahar, then she might need something to keep her sated.

"I don't do well with big crowds." She admitted, scrunching her lips. April was strong of heart and bold of character, but there were countless fears that plagued her. No matter how brave or courageous she was at sea, on land she was a fish out of water.

She lifted the pipe to her lips and lit it with a spare match. After a short puff, her attention turned back to Garland. "I'd like something warm. A nice, hot meal. Maybe some fresh bread, too. Yeah... that'd be really nice."

-

-

April Windweaver
Authentic Pirate Booty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby Garland on December 29th, 2014, 6:48 am

"You'd do even worst if your high. Come on, don't smoke so early in the day. Just focus on me, this isn't the first time I've had to guide people with crowd issues." He offered his hand, hoping to calm her down. "I know a good place for some food if you want." He led the way off the ship and through the entrance of the docks.

The day was still early, the hustle and bustle of the city was at a minimum, but there were still a large enough crowd for somebody that has been isolated for a long time to be nervous about. It should be easy enough to walk through though.

"April, I have a question, how long have you been at sea?" He asked as they walked down the slightly busy street. Given that the docks were one of the earlier areas of the city that wakes up, it should that the surrounding streets would be busy. A few small fishing boats seem to be returning back and getting their haul into wagons and barrels.

"Hmm... There's a cafe near the Bazaar, it's not the Bean mind you, since the Bean doesn't actually serve food, just hot beverages." He said and stopped in the middle of the street. "Actually, I'll let you decide where we need to go. Maybe the Herald's Arms or the Cafe I told you about." He wanted to get inside sooner or later, maybe take a hot bath soon. "Anyway, we can head off to the bath house later on if you're feeling a bit cold, I haven't been there in a while I think." He said, looking one of the open stores here and there. The cafe should be rather close now if he remembered correctly.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby April Windweaver on December 29th, 2014, 8:10 am

The pipe went up to her lips again just as Garland started voicing his concern. She hesitated for a moment and looked at the Squire. He seemed genuinely concerned for her health, and his outstretched hand offered her some comfort. It took a great deal of coercion on her part to finally convince herself to put the pipe away for the time being. He was right, anyways. She wanted to be on her A-game today, and getting high on Temper would hinder her. She'd save it for tonight.

Her slender fingers slipped over Garland's hand and gripped it firmly before following him off the boat. In his hold she felt oddly at ease, but still worried for what lay ahead. The talk of food, though, turned her thoughts away from her fears and onto her own hunger. She was starving. Surviving off of jerky and old fruit was hardly glamorous so the thought of real cooked food made her mouth water.

April steeled herself for the road ahead. The two walked hand in hand into town and were almost immediately submerged into the hustle and bustle of Syliras. Too many people, too much movement, too much color, too much noise, every sense was being overloaded. It was hitting her like a loaded wagon. She had to tighten her grip on Garland to keep herself from toppling over. Though, despite the intense panic inside her, April kept face. She was sweating, but her face was stoic and determined.

"April, I have a question, how long have you been at sea?"

The Svefra's internal chaos almost made her miss the question.

"Hunh? Sea? Oh, uhm... Well, I mean in general I've been sailing on my own since I was 14. Last time I stopped in port was a season ago, and that was for... uh... two days."

She was relieved to have something to occupy her mind that didn't pertain to their current situation. Her heartbeat lowered a couple of bpm's.

"Cafe sounds good. Yeah. Cafe" She nodded idly, her eyes darting from face to face. "I think... I think the Harold's Arm is not a place for me. I heard that it was..." She turned to keep sight of a horse-drawn carriage. She stared at it for several moments before snapping back. "Yeah, I hear it's full of girls who dance for money."

Adrenaline was running through her veins, and every time she brushed past someone she flinched. At the very least, she hadn't broken down yet. She felt grounded by Garland's hand. And it was his words that brought her back to reality.

"Bath? Yes, please! Oh, bless the stars, I haven't had a good bath in... uh..." she thought long and hard, each second making her more and more embarrassed. "... A while. But, yes! I would love to go for a bath."

-

-

April Windweaver
Authentic Pirate Booty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby Garland on December 30th, 2014, 3:48 am

"Yeah, I hear it's full of girls who dance for money."

"Only on the second floor... Not that I've ever been there, though I don't see much girls dancing on the first, then again I was probably drunk under the table during those times..." He smiled at April, he was never really interested in anyone in those kinds of places, just the drink and pleasant company.

"Cafe it is. They serve a good cinnamon bread there." He led her down the street, brushing pass a few people, he tightened his grip around her hand, he could feel that she was tense, and for good reason too. Luckily for them, the next street was slightly less crowded and busy.

He could see the sign to the old cafe, it was a bit run down, but otherwise the smell of freshly baked pastries and warm beverages. "Come on, it's right over there!" He sped up his walking a bit until they got to the entrance of this small cafe.

As he pushed in the door, followed by a small chime from the little bell above the window, he was assaulted by the smell of sweet freshly baked breads and pastries. "Hmmm~ I love the smell~ Oh, right. Take a seat anywhere. Someone should come to take our order."

The small establishment had only a few tables, there was a window seat there but it looked like there was already someone sitting there, there are a few costumers here and there, scattered around and such, they also have a hearth, it would be nice to sit there on the ground next to it, but other it seemed that there were already people sitting there.

All the good places to sit seem to be taken... Well, this isn't really all that good, but at least the foods smell lovely, and hopefully tastes like he remembers them.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby April Windweaver on December 30th, 2014, 5:10 am

Cinnamon bread? Now that was a first. April had never been exposed to much cinnamon before, and considered it more of a flavor enhancer than a primary baking ingredient. But she wouldn't turn down fresh bread. Already she could taste it on her tongue.

They turned onto a much quieter district of town and April felt herself calm back down. Her grip loosened and she started to level out her breathing. It wasn't that bad, she thought to herself, feeling the tension in her muscles finally release. Yeah, I got this. No worries. Her confidence spiked. She held her head a little higher and walked alongside Garland with renewed courage.

But just as she had righted herself she was nearly knocked onto her rear by the scent of food that wafted from the cafe. She smelled... everything. Pies, baked bread, chocolate, fruits, coffee, everything. Her eyes grew big. She looked like a child staring into a candy shop for the first time.

April rushed ahead of Garland once they got inside. She let herself get immersed in the atmosphere of the restaurant. Every sense was pleased. The warmth of the fire, the scent of the food, the taste of brewed beans in the air, everythign was so wonderful. So many years spent cramped in a moldy cabin and now, finally, she was being exposed to the joys of land habitation. She could definitely see why so many people preferred this life.

Once she came back down to Mizahar, April rushed over to an empty table near the back of the cafe and plomped down on one of the seats. She was so excited that her legs were swinging back and forth ferociously. She stared up at Garland with an adorably huge smile. "You know what'd I'd really like? Coffee! A good, strong roast. And that cinnamon bread. And... and uh... one of those things that.. you know it kinda curls..." She tried to use interpretive hand gestures to no avail. "It looks kinda like a crescent moon, but it's got, like, cheese and ham inside it"

-

-

April Windweaver
Authentic Pirate Booty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

In Hot Water (Garland)

Postby Garland on December 30th, 2014, 11:05 am

He sat down opposite to her, the smell of food was heavenly and very hard to resist. "Waitress?" He called to one of the serving girls.

The girl ran up towards them. "Hello there, loves. What'll you be having today." She asked with a toothy smile. She had cherry red hair and a few freckles on her face. "Oh, Hello there, Pretty boy~" She started batting her eyelashes.

"Hello, there. Hmm... Two coffees please, some milk in mine. A sweetroll, a cinnamon bread and... the curly thing? Croissant, was it? Yeah one of those. Thank you kindly." Garland said and smiled at the red head. It wasn't a flirty smile, but just a regular friendly one, though their waitress could have mistaken that for a flirty smile.

She giggled a bit. "Anything for you, handsome." And with that, she ran off to fetch their order. Like the idiot he was, Garland had no clue that she had any interest in him.

"Friendly service here. Plus points for that." He looked around the cafe, it had a rather homely feel to it, not like the taverns and inns of Syliras which felt more like a mild bar than anything else actually. "So, April. How did you survive being out at sea for so long? Did you just buy a ton of preserved food, or did you fish along side your 'bartering' with other ships?"

And within a few chimes their redheaded waitress returned with their tray of food. "Here you go, love. Name's Cindy~ If you ever need anything else, just call." And with that she goes off to tend to the other tables.

Garland took a small sip of his coffee, feeling the slightly bitter-sweet liquid go down his throat. "Hmmm... Needs sugar, honestly but it's fine."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next