Closed [The Rearing Stallion] Breakfast of Champions (Garland)

Orin makes Garland some breakfast.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Rearing Stallion] Breakfast of Champions (Garland)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 1st, 2015, 7:16 pm

Orin Fenix
Food Equals Love

Overly pleased at Garland’s enthusiastic reaction, Orin predictably blushed. ”That’s so nice of you to say but really this isn’t anything special, I promise. I appreciate the compliment though.” Orin tried not to laugh at the sight of the squire eating so eagerly. Orin didn’t want to damage their burgeoning friendship, but he’d be willing to bet if it wasn’t completely outside the bounds of politeness, Garland would’ve started shoveling the food into his mouth with his hands and chomping down with his mouth open. Orin cut off a part of the griddlecake slowly, trying to contrast with Garland. Orin put it in his mouth and chewed carefully, trying to determine every nuance of taste. It was a bit dry actually, and just a touch too sweet for Orin’s tastes. Garland didn’t seem to mind but Orin was trying to train his palate. Overall Orin felt he had done an admirable job. Next time he’d back off a bit on the honey and maybe add another egg into the mix. Alternatively, he might just use less flour. But still, considering this was one of the first times he strayed from the established recipe without someone watching over him every step of the way. ”Though this did turn out to be pretty tasty, if I do say so myself, which I do.”

Taste test done, Orin allowed himself to simply enjoy the simple pleasure of sharing a good breakfast with a companion. Orin was content to sit there in silence as the two of them tucked in with a good appetite. Orin hadn’t thought that his training had been all that strenuous but he was hungrier than he usually was at this time of day. However, the griddlecakes already on his plate were more than enough. Glancing surreptitiously at Garland, Orin decided that another serving for the squire would probably go over quite well. So, Orin scraped the last few remaining cakes onto Garland’s plate timing it so they landed between bites. Placing the pan by the sink, Orin returned to his seat to finish what remained on his plate. Soon, Orin was done. Scooping up his plate Orin set it by the pan. Either Orin, one of the other cooks, or, occasionally, the boy who helped serve would clean them up later. Looking at Remi who was just starting to set up the kitchen for lunch, Orin was surprised by how late it had gotten.

Turning to Garland Orin smiled. It would be best if the squire were out of here before Rondo got in for the day. The chef’s explosions over the tiniest of infractions were practically legendary both within the tavern and partially without. Orin wanted to avoid that at all costs. While Rondo’s bark was much worse than his bite, his bark still stung. It just made life easier for everyone to give into some of his more ridiculous demands. Remi was the only one willing or able to tell the irritable man no. Even she picked her battles carefully, not wanting to lose his expertise. ”So, I want to thank you for this morning. I really appreciate the pointers on my dagger skill. And I’m glad you were here to help me out with making these. But, I’ve got to get to work now and I’m sure you’ve got places to go and people to see. Feel free to stop by anytime. And if you see me struggling in the pits again, please please come help.” Orin chuckled at Garland as he nicely, but firmly, ushered the squire out the door.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

[The Rearing Stallion] Breakfast of Champions (Garland)

Postby Devi on March 23rd, 2015, 9:28 pm

Your Grades have arrived!

Orin

Skills:
  • Socialization - 4
  • Cooking - 4
  • Cleaning - 2
  • Organization - 2
  • Teaching - 2
  • Rhetoric - 1
  • Observation - 1
Lores:
  • The Rearing Stallion – Home Sweet Home
  • Garland – Made horrifying milk-soup
  • Griddlecakes Recipe – Breakfast to go
  • Teaching – Keep one eye on your student
  • Garland – Enthusiastic but messy cook
  • Garland – We could be friends?
  • Garland – Fire hazard
  • Cooking – There is such a thing as ‘too sweet’
Comments: Lovely thread. I am a terrible cook (definitely more like Garland than Orin) so it was great to read about it in the level of detail you added. You also managed to touch on a lot of different things within your writing, hence the variety of skills awarded - well done!

Garland

Skills:
  • Socialization - 3
  • Cooking - 3
  • Observation - 3
Lores:
  • Note to self – don’t walk into pans
  • Griddlecakes Recipe – Breakfast to go
  • Cooking – Food that isn’t fried!
  • Cooking – Separating egg whites and yolks
  • Orin – Guarded about his past
  • Orin – Talented cook
  • Cooking - The end result is definitely worth it
Comments: I was genuinely chuckling reading your posts. There's something oddly familiar about the cooking experiences Garland describes... Let's keep our fingers crossed that the cooking lessons continue. For the health of the city.

Let me know if you have any questions and don't forget to edit or delete your post in the Grade Request Thread.

Happy Writing!

Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous