Anime v Non-Anime Models

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Nivel on March 24th, 2015, 4:04 am

ugh what the hell was wrong with that anime, I remember watching Dragon ball z as a kid and getting really pissed off that it took like 5 episodes to cover 5 minutes. The entire time it just looked like Goku was trying to crap really hard while his enemies watched and waited patiently. I think if a player showed up with Goku as their avatar there would be judgement from me. (sorry to those who like that anime)
Last edited by Nivel on March 24th, 2015, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Bennar Witt on March 24th, 2015, 4:42 am

I like to read their character description in the CS before threading with them to create a mental image of my own. When I make a PC, I create a description of them in my mind and then try to find an avatar that fits closely, though sometimes I add explanations of distinctive marks in the avatar afterward.

People like to change their avatars sometimes too, so I always imagine that as very fluid, where-as the desc. in the CS is solid for me.
Lhavit
Ben Guide
Reimancy
Shielding
Morphing
Bennar Witt
Player

Words: 117856
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2015, 7:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Yra on March 24th, 2015, 5:40 am

I've stated this before in another thread worded somewhat like this, but I actually absolutely detest anime models. My experience with them, and right now I'm getting these vibes off the Goku image, is that they are played as superhuman, superawesome, superfake people with these huge abilities and disproportionate body parts (inhumanly large muscles????), and I am disgusted.

I can't handle CGI well, either, basically because the proportions are usually really weird also. I draw the line at digital art that doesn't emulate the anime style. That stuff is gorgeous.

I could confidently say that I judge by first glance. If I see an anime character, I generally stay away. They can go find someone else, honestly.

And that's my bit.

-Y.
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Nivel on March 24th, 2015, 5:51 am

what I'm getting from this is that if you want to use an anime avatar don't play in Riverfall because you will be judged. :P
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Timothy Mered on March 24th, 2015, 6:47 am

You could summarise it thusly, yeah. Maybe RF needs a special arena where all the gruff anime characters can fight.
Timothy Mered
Determined

Words: 296697
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2014, 1:43 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Featured Character (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Nivel on March 24th, 2015, 9:38 am

As much as I don't agree with you I can still understand some of your reasoning. I get that they don't really fit the feel of Mizhar, I get the assumption that they're mostly used by adolescent players, and the copy write infringement stuff. I mostly just don't understand the I can't picture what they might look like if they were real, I'm pretty sure everyone in Mizahar isn't supposed to look like a fashion model with modern day clothing.

I just want to point out that anime has multiple genres..and a lot of them don't have dragon ball z powers or any powers at all. Some do have giant robots mind you >__>..but the people that pilot them are normal. There are highschool dramas, romance, period pieces, even studio ghibli did a movie about world war 2 and Not all anime's have the same art style..even if it sure as hell seems that way sometimes.

Here are some honourable mentions.
Secret :
Grave of the fireflies

Paprika

The Medicine Seller

Angels Egg

Ghost in the shell
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Roderick on March 24th, 2015, 9:38 am

Timothy Mered wrote:I really dislike the style. Characters in Anime tend to have all kinds of superpowers or weird abilities, so when I see an anime model I automatically assume that players will RP their character under that assumption; that their character is super special in some way.

I was having difficulty explaining my dislike but I think you basically hit the nail on the head here. When I see an anime avatar I get all sorts of assumptions going through my head and it annoys me because it isn't really fair :|

Edit: I think you could also argue that these characters obviously bring in a Japanese flair to Mizahar, which is rather out of place since to my knowledge Mizahar doesn't have a place that is like Japan.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Nivel on March 24th, 2015, 9:52 am

Thats it I'm making Nivel an anime avatar >__>
I'm going to give her huge Giant eyes almost no mouth and she'll have energy balls or something coming out of her fists. It will be Glorious :P

Edit: I really need to stop replying to this.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Aventis on March 24th, 2015, 10:52 am

Call me lazy. Call me a jerkwad. Call me whatever you like but... I am stating my opinion.

I really don't mind if YOU want an animated avatar. I really don't mind. If you have a Pycon, I think it looks cool. But if you're just A. Joe, then I mean... Come on. I'll thread with you. I'll be your buddy. I'll be a friend. But I do not want to do some director's job and reimagine or redesign a character in my head just so I can write a quick story. Like Nivel said, there are dignified animes. I am Studio Ghibli's #1 fan (And I think The Wind Rises would suit your point better than Grave of the Fireflies). But it's like a bear Kelvic using Winnie the Pooh or the fox from fox and the hound. Everyone has their peeves. Do what you wish but I'm not making that effort.

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Roderick on March 24th, 2015, 10:57 am

I'm with you on that one Aventis. I can understand using Anime avatars for things like the Pycon that don't physically exist, but if you just look like a human/human subrace you really ought to use a real life model or actor, or at the least a picture like the one Bennar is using. Also that was actually a really good example about the Kelvics, Ven. But yeah basically I don't exactly want to sit and re-imagine your avatar as a real life person, I just want to be able to look at it and instantly know what your character looks like.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext