[The Silver Sliver Tavern]An Afternoon Sip[Xii]

Clyde and Xii meet for the first time in Ravok.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 22nd, 2015, 11:15 pm

10 Spring 515

Done with his duties for the day, Clyde had decided to pass through the Silver Sliver for a quick ale. It was early in the afternoon, the sun not quite having set, though nearing such a position.

It would likely be a few more bells before the tavern truly got busy, though it still had a half dozen or so patrons sitting at tables or at the bar. They were all studiously avoiding the staff wielding Clyde, who was clearly marked as a member of the Ebonstryfe by his robes.

They were not being rude about it, nor obvious, but neither did they take the initiative to socialize with him, and it was easy enough to figure out why they were acting so stiff. They clearly didn't want to be seen doing anything they shouldn't in front of a member of the Stryfe. Nor could they complain about their jobs or their spouses.

They instead contented themselves with some idle chatter about the weather. If the tavern had been fuller they might have spoken, assuming that the rumble of talking would drown out each others words, but with the sparse population of the bar that was not likely.

After finishing off his single ale and paying for it, Clyde headed on out of the bar, towards the nearest canal and the Ravasola's within. He'd likely take a ride home, and make an early night of some work in his lab, and then bed.

For now he waited on the canal edge for the next Ravasola to flag down.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Xii on March 23rd, 2015, 12:19 am

Xii was tucked carefully in between two buildings, watching down the length of the canal. Not even half a bell earlier, she had heard a murmur that had brought her scrambling here to see for herself: talk of a powerful member of the Ebonstryfe, drinking at a nearby pub called the Silver Sliver.

Happily, it had been easy to find the place. Xii had spent the last bell, maybe two, trying her hand at mapping out this area of the city. She had to admit that her drawings were remarkably crude and lacked the proper proportions... but at least they were a start. She had meant to mark down all the important things in the area: the width of the canals and narrowness of the alleys in between the floating buildings, the number of people around at this time of day, the arrangement of the walkways and bridges in the area, and, of course, the buildings themselves, whether or not they were residential... or businesses. Not a bell before she'd marked down the 'Silver Sliver' on her self-made map, and so it had not been difficult to rediscover its location.

Now she waited outside the bar, watching, red hood pulled over her head to hide her features as best she could, and she didn't have to wait long. Soon enough, from the Sliver came the man that the others must have been muttering about... because there was no way he could be anyone else. The robes and the big stick clasped in one hand were clear displays of his power. She knew this by the symbol emblazoned on his chest and the way the man handled the branch that he held, though she also knew that that object, whatever it was, must've been more than just a simple branch. Why else would someone like him have it?

People seemed to give the man a wide berth as he waited at the curb, and Xii found she could contain herself no longer. Shoving her hands in her pockets she skipped over to the man's side, then stopped and cleared her throat to catch his attention, peering up at him. The others might be afraid, cowed by this person's presence... but Xii would not let his authority or importance get in the way of the things that she wanted. And what she wanted from him was information. If anyone would have it, it was him.

So she gave him a sharkish smile and said, "Hello. You're a member of the Ebonstryfe, aren't you?" It was a rather obvious question, but most people expected children to be obvious. She might as well play the role. "I was wondering if you might help me, sir." The politeness burned her tongue, but she ignored the sensation. "I need some information, and you look to be someone who has it. I want to know about Rhysol, and this city. And the Black Sun. If you don't mind."

Xii was aware that this conversation was a shot in the dark, and probably wouldn't end well considering the participants. There was the man, on one hand, important in his power... and Xii on the other, a child, a half-Zith, and an outsider to this city. She wouldn't be surprised if he took a swing at her for her brashness at approaching him: after all, most people in the city seemed to hate her for what she was, so why not him? But she had approached him regardless. This was an opportunity she would not miss.

She liked to think of it this way: perhaps Rhysol had sent this young man here for her to meet. She supposed it was possible. So why not start a conversation, and see what happened? Her posture spoke of an rigid eagerness for his response, even as her face remained calm and cool, looking up and waiting for his words.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Xii is "speaking Pavi" and also signing Pavi Note
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Words: 143088
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 29th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Clyde had been about to flag down a passing Ravasola, when he was interrupted by a question from an unknown person. A small child by the looks of her.

Her apparel didn't seem to indicate wealth, nor utter poverty. Though poverty was rare in Ravok. If you were in the city you had a roof over your head. And if you were a citizen you likely had a job and were a productive member of society. It was a bit harder to tell with slaves, since their dress often depended upon their owners whims.

And then there was non-citizens... It was even harder to tell with them.

Turning to face the voice, he stamped Cha on the ground once as he arrested his motion, an action meant to draw attention to her in his hand. Being a staff wasn't so odd perhaps, though the fact that he as a clearly fit person used one did draw some questions. Though usually the first question anyone asked was why she was blue. It wasn't due to dye or such coloring, the blue hue was the normal color of the specific wood, even if most found it odd.

Her first words were a statement, and so Clyde did not respond, the answer clear by his garb.

"Hello. You're a member of the Ebonstryfe, aren't you?"

Clyde let out a sigh, letting a small bit of annoyance show on his face, at the foolish statement. But Clyde assumed that if he was silent for a few moments, she would get about to her point.

"I was wondering if you might help me, sir."

Though she seemed nice enough in her words, her face seemed a bit strained at it. Though he had no reason to think she was disingenuous. Though as he looked at her a bit longer, it was then he noticed the dark hue of her skin, not common amongst most humans Clyde had met. Perhaps one of the sub-races? Clyde knew there were quite a few he did not know well of, and supposed her skin could be explained by that...

As he thought on this the girl seemed to finally reach her point, asking the question she wanted answered.

Though her face remained constant after asking the question, her body seemed tensed, as if she was anticipating the response strongly. Or perhaps was truly desperate to know? Clyde was unsure which.

Still though, it seemed a bit odd of a question to ask a random member of the Stryfe.

"I need some information, and you look to be someone who has it. I want to know about Rhysol, and this city. And the Black Sun. If you don't mind."

Clyde raised an eyebrow at the girl, before launching into a response with his slow and even wording with little inflection or emotion.

“You've been in the city how long, and you don't know about it? I have to say though... That's a bit of a vague question, wanting to know about Rhysol and Ravok, and the Sun. I'm afraid I'll need a bit more specific information to truly answer such a thing, or at least a more specific question. Perhaps if you tell me what you already know, and what you want to know, I could answer you a bit better.”

Ever an instructor, Clyde's response to her was as much a manner of instruction in question asking as it was a response to her specific question. Perhaps though at this point Clyde's skill in teaching was so deeply ingrained in him, he couldn't help giving a lesson in most of what he did, even if it didn't seem as such. In another sense it was a means of interrogating the girl, perhaps without her realizing she was being interrogated.

“Though I'd point out, some might find it rude that you've asked several questions of me, but you've yet to even give your name. So, what is your name? What is it that you do?”

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Xii on March 29th, 2015, 9:46 pm

As the man turned towards her he stamped the big stick he was holding on the ground once, and Xii took a wary step back, watching his hand on the wood, waiting to see if he might swing it at her. But no. His face showed no sign of aggression nor did his stance. He merely looked... bored, maybe? Apathetic? As such she remained where she was, alert to any changes that might mean his feelings had changed.

She didn't have to hold her breath on it. Almost as soon as the first question passed her lips the young man sighed, looking irritated, and she had to stop from smiling. Though irritation was counter to her goals here... still, it amused her. She tried to keep her face as blank as his been just a few moments before, though she still radiated eagerness for his response.

A quirk of an eyebrow and he gave a response... though not anything she had been looking for. Before she could figure out how to safely word what she wanted to ask, however, he made a soft sort of accusation. Xii nearly smiled again at being called rude, though this was less from amusement ~maybe a little~ and more from mystification. Her eyes flitted to the stange bluish stick in his hand again, to the symbol on his chest, and then back up at his face.

"My apologies," the Zithling said, tone measured to one of curiosity, maybe confusion, "Is that true? It's rude not to make introductions?" This was news to her. She couldn't remember a time when she had willingly forfeited her name until someone had asked; she also couldn't remember anyone having pointed out this behavior as being odd before. It was something to take note of. She didn't want to appear to be rude, even if she was derisive in her mind. She didn't want to be noticed in that way. "Well, then. If it's so important, I'm Xii. And you?" She figured he would have to give his now. It might be interesting if he didn't, though. In her mind, it would create a deliberate imbalance of power. That was always interesting, though she preferred to have the upper hand.

"As for what I do, I'm... looking... for something to suit me. That's kinda why I approached you. I haven't been in the city long. Ten days, maybe less? I've had other problems to deal with first." If she expected to receive any answers, she reluctantly supposed she'd have to supply some. People always wanted something. But she would always opt to brush by with the bare minimum unless someone pressed further.

Now getting to the nitty-gritty: "I held my tongue on purpose. It's hard to bring this up, as I'm not from Ravok, and I couldn't help noticing..." Here she paused, eyes flicking to the sides and then up at his face again, trying to judge how easily one might overhear, or his own forthcoming reaction to what she was getting at. "Well. That there's something off here. What I know is this: I was in Syliras before now. They had a certain view of Rhysol, which it wouldn't be nice to say aloud. Not here. Not where it might get me in trouble. What I also know: this city seems to have another opinion all its own, very much the opposite. What I wanted to understand... I was wondering which was right and which was wrong."

The hatred of Rhysol in Syliras had pointed her to Ravok, to a god of evil and chaos and betrayal and lies that she could get behind, that she might even adore. She wasn't so certain of a savior and champion of the people; the thought that Rhysol might be anything like that was somewhat disgusting to her. It turned her stomach. Besides that, it would be a huge disappointment.

"I thought, since you're Ebonstryfe... you must know the truth. I want to know what the Black Sun is. What it is really. Which view it holds." She couldn't believe that Rhysol was what the citizens of Ravok seemed to think he was; surely his own church wouldn't be stupid enough to believe such things? Certainly they couldn't be blind to Rhysol's true aims?

Xii was perched on her toes, once again ready to try to jump out of the way should the young man take offense. If he was one of those who thought Rhysol was good and if he knew what it was the Sylirans ~and others~ said about the god, then he might get angry, fast. Especially since he appeared to be so high-ranking. Her posture spoke clearly of edginess, conveyed in her second language of Pavi.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 30th, 2015, 1:32 am

Clyde couldn't help but smile for a moment at hearing her particular view and line of questioning. Clyde being... Clyde... Had his own odd view of things and Rhysol, one perhaps not all that common amongst the citizens of Ravok.

But then he'd come to understand some things that even much higher ranking devotees of Rhysol did not attain, in his understanding of Chaos logic and the nature of Rhysol.

Pressing back to the issue of names, and the girl named Xii, Clyde returned his own name.

“Xii. I am Clyde. Clyde Sullins.”

He did notice however that she avoided telling him what she was doing in Ravok, such as work or a job, instead giving a more philosophical reasoning for her being in the city. An evasion if he'd ever seen one.

“As for Ravok, Rhysol, and Syliras... Well its a bit of an understatement to say the two cities have different views on topics.”

Clyde grinned and shook his head.

“But you are right, this is perhaps not the best topic to discuss in public. Why don't we take this to my house, where we can have some privacy.”

Moving back to waving down a Ravasola, Clyde stopped a passing boat and stepped inside, motioning for Xii to follow.

Assuming Xii went along for the ride, which was a short one to his house, Clyde would keep from silence by asking a few questions.

“So, I assume you are not a citizen then, if you've been in the city for such a short time?”

Of course, Clyde hadn't just gathered that from her time in the city. He himself hadn't been back that long. But since she'd also recently come from Syliras, was not a devotee of Rhysol, and knew so little of the city, he doubted she was a citizen.

“What is it that you do here? I asked earlier, but you answered a different question. Surely you have some job or other or means of making a living.”

Soon enough the ride would be over, and they'd be at the Sullin's residence, assuming Xii went with him.

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Xii on March 30th, 2015, 4:17 am

He gave his name, which she had half-expected him not to. Clyde Sullins. At least the introductions were over; he hadn't asked to shake, which was good because she didn't like the thought of surrendering her hand, however briefly, to a stranger.

Another thing she didn't like... Xii knew they had to leave the public to continue the conversation, it wasn't safe ~or smart~ to speak openly... and yet. When he suggested going to his house, not a neutral location of some sort, Xii narrowed her eyes. Being someplace that he knew well would give him an advantage. Then again, she supposed most of the city must be like that. So she just nodded her head once to agree with what he'd said, and waited while he called one of the small boats over.

This again gave her pause, a pained expression crossing her face as he stepped from the curb over the water. So far she had avoided these boats ~ravosalas, they were called~ because she hadn't trusted them. Not to take her where she wanted to actually go.

But, only after a tick or two of hesitation, she carefully picked her way over the side and into the thing, keeping her distance from both Sullins and the man steering it as best she could. She didn't sit or make herself comfortable, standing upright, arms slightly out for balance. Looking over the side of the boat down to the water reminded her yet again that she didn't know how to swim. And she had heard the lake was very, very deep.

But coming along would keep her with Sullins, and she wasn't going to let him get away.

While they drifted along, it seemed the Ebonstryfe had not had his fill of simple conversation. Xii listened as he asked questions, not wanting to give any more of herself than she already had... but she supposed she had to, if she wanted to remain on what appeared to be 'good terms'. So she grimaced at his first question, eyes darting to the ravosalaman, before saying in a low voice, "No. I'm not." If he thought she might supply more than that, he was wrong.

Perhaps, however, they weren't on as 'good' of terms as the little Zithling had allowed herself to think, for his next question poked at the answers she had already given, as if searching for a weak point. “What is it that you do here? I asked earlier, but you answered a different question. Surely you have some job or other or means of making a living.”

Xii shrugged, wavering a little on her feet as the water beneath them caused the boat to rock. She had the strong urge to reach out, maybe even to Sullins, in order to steady herself, but instead fisted her hands and tried to keep her balance on her own. This was her second time on any type of boat; the first time had been on the ride over to the floating city.

"I said what I meant," Xii offered, once she'd found her feet enough to respond. "I'm looking for work. I came to the city not too long ago, and some of the people here... have not made it easy for me to stay. Slavers. They think me weak. An easy target." She rolled her eyes at this, but then looked quickly to Sullins' face for any reaction. Though they had just met, the same thought might have crossed his mind. Xii was always wary for traps. It might show on his face if he had been planning such a thing.

"Once I handle them ~or learn enough of the city, whichever comes first~ I'll find some place where I can fit in. Maybe as a doctor's assistant, if they'll let me. If not... there's always undertaking." At this last she offered a short, sharp grin, an expression she usually didn't share openly. In a medical pursuit she might learn more about the human form... which she was certain would come in handy, someday. Perhaps sooner rather than later.

"What about you, then?" Xii asked after a moment, not wanting to let him have all the answers. "Do anything besides... well, being Ebonstryfe?" It was always good to know what she was up against. The Zithling's dark eyes alighted upon the stick in his hand once more.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 30th, 2015, 8:20 pm

The boat ride was short, but Clyde still managed to get in a bit of conversation. In Ravok the fastest way between any two points was always via a Ravasola. It was much faster than the long about routes one had to take looking for a bridge. And that was assuming there even was a bridge. Some places could only reasonably be reached by Ravasola. In this case the ride was due to expedience, not necessity, but it was still the most common mode of transport in Ravok.

The fact that the girl wouldn't sit, and was clearly uncomfortable marked her even more as an outsider. Clyde saw a small bit of a smile on the polers face out of the corner of his eye, though he seemed concentrated on his work when Clyde went to look at him directly.

Still, if she wanted to fit in, she'd need to get used to such rides quickly. Honestly Clyde felt safer seated than he would have standing. Though with his height if he did stand he might actually make the boat tip over.

Clyde himself knew vaguely how to swim, having grown up on the edge of the Suvan sea, though he was no great swimmer.

He noted her reticence at coming to his house. She seemed a bit shifty in general, as if she expected Clyde to leap upon her at any moment and attack. That alone said much about her... Though if he was to attack, he wouldn't do something nearly so flashy as that. He was a subtle enough person with such things, if not a bit creative.

When she acknowledged that she was not a citizen Clyde simply nodded, it being more or less what he expected. The Ravasolaman made no reaction, likely since Clyde was a member of the Stryfe and well within his rights to act as he wished.

A non-citizen after all had no rights at all. It was a small wonder she'd commented on being scared of slavers going after her. He was more surprised she'd managed so far to evade them, as a lone child in Ravok. The longer he spoke to the girl, the more suspicious of her and her defensive manner he grew.

He choices of trade seemed a bit... Odd. At least for a child. A turn between assisting a doctor, caring for the living, and undertaking, caring for the dead... It wasn't unheard of for young children to apprentice with such things at a young age, but usually that was a child following a parent.

Still though, it was a bit of a issue. To become a citizen one had to stay in Ravok for awhile, and be gainfully employed. But to become employed it also took the approval of the city... The idea of her learning enough of the city for slavers to suddenly stop being a problem, the notion of it, made Clyde smirk for a moment. It didn't matter how well she knew the city, until she was a citizen they wouldn't leave her be. The alternative was to have the protection of someone within the city who had power and could stop the slavers from going after her by that method... Something Clyde could do, if he was so inclined. But he still didn't know this girl, and certainly didn't trust her with the manner she was displaying.

She didn't trust him, and it was clear to see, so why then would Clyde trust her?

“Being of the Stryfe keeps me busy enough. I have certain side projects, my experiments and such, but I suppose being a Stryfe is my only job for now. At least while I'm still in Ravok.”

As he mentioned his experiments, Clyde rubbed his free hand down the side of Cha once, absentmindedly. It was a gentle caressing motion, perhaps odd when being done to a staff.

By then they'd arrived at their destination, and so Clyde paid the Ravasolaman and headed out of the boat, coming out of the boat just in front of his front door.

At the moment the single window was open next to the door, letting in the fresh spring air into the common area that worked as an entrance to his house.

Opening the door there was a sudden motion within the shadows of the darkly lit room, at least darkly lit as compared to the light outside, and as if from the ether of the darkness a dog appeared, birthed from the shadows with red eyes showing.

The dog rushed past Clyde as he stood aside, and quickly raced to the canal nearby, where he hiked up a leg and released himself. With that done he turned about and came back in front of Clyde, coming to rest with himself between the girl and his master. He stood staring at the girl silently, having not made a sound or bark since he'd come out.

Clyde smiled at the dark dog, and gestured at it to the girl.

“This is Rye. He watches my place while I'm out, and me while I'm in.”

If the girl tried to pet the dog he'd likely growl at her in a low tone, though he wouldn't bite or attack, not without Clyde's permission.

Once the introductions were done, Clyde would head inside, motioning for the girl to follow him inside. Once in and their eyes adjusted, it would be clear the room wasn't so dark as it had first seemed. In fact at night it would likely seem lit from outside. It was sparsely decorated, some paintings, some benches, and little more, though with three doors besides the front door leading out of it, two on the back wall, and one on the wall to the right. The single door leading into the room to the right was also the only one with a lock on it.

Clyde would give the girl a chime or so to get comfortable with the room, before continuing on.

“So... What were we talking about? We should be safe enough discussing things here. Why don't you start off by telling me what you know of Ravok and Rhysol and such so far, and what specifically you want to know, and then I'll do my best to answer your questions. Take a seat if you wish.”

As he waited for her to respond, and gave her time to speak and repeat what she knew and expound on whatever she would, Clyde began to initiate his Auristics, focusing on his djed within Cha and flowing it out and through her. He'd decided now that they were alone he'd give her a good look over in the magical fashion. She had been acting suspicious, and he thought perhaps he would learn a thing or two from her aura.

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Xii on March 30th, 2015, 9:51 pm

The ride was not long at least, for which Xii was grateful. Her self-made ~poor-made~ map had not extended this far on this side, and so the Sullins' residence had not been included. Still, the trip hadn't been so far that she didn't think she could find her way back.

More unpleasant was the fact that the sun was finally dipping down to touch the horizon, turning it and the lake a brilliant red. Usually she began her way back to the inn by now, considering that for some reason most people grew more wicked after dark, making the city even more unsafe for her. Now... she stepped onto the curb after Sullins, and watched as a strange black dog with eyes like the sunset rushed out of the house he approached. She'd stay as long as necessary. What was life without risk?

Speaking of... she held out a hand to the dog, not really trusting it to like her, and indeed it didn't seem to. Xii had mixed feelings on dogs, especially big ones considering their sharp teeth and how small her own body was. She thought having a dog might be good for protection, as this dog seemed to do for its master. But she wasn't certain it was worth being near something that might turn and bite her upon a moment's whim. She had never met a dog that hadn't liked to bare its teeth.

"Rye," she murmured, as they progressed into the house, the little Zithling hardly having to blink at the sudden dimness because of her inherited nightvision, and instead looking around at the sparse entrance room, her eyes lingering on one particular painting ~that of an eclipsed sun. "Rye like Rhysol?" she asked, turning to face Sullins, and keeping an eye on the dog as well.

Now that they were in an enclosed area where others wouldn't overhear, some of the edginess had eased out of Xii's posture. At the same time, she made note of all the exits of the room. The front door would be best, the window maybe as good as long as it remained open and she was actually tall enough to climb or jump out of it. There were three other doors, and her eyes automatically went to the one that was locked, wondering what might be in there. Sullins had mentioned something about experiments. Xii liked the idea of experiments. As long as they weren't done on unsuspecting children. Well, one child in particular; the rest could hang.

The Ebonstryfe ~a title that the man seemed to shorten to just 'Stryfe' sometimes, something Xii took note of~ began to speak, and Xii continued to stroll around the room as he did, though she never turned her back fully on him or the dog if she could help it. Finally she stopped as he mentioned that she might take a seat, and she abruptly sank to a cross-legged position on the floor, somewhat close to the door and window on the front wall. She knew that was not what he'd meant and smiled, bouncing her knees and shaking the hood from her head.

"I don't know much. That's why I came to this city. To learn more about Rhysol. Mostly what I've learned I learned in Syliras. Obviously, they didn't know what they were talking about. So I don't know how much actually means anything." She leaned back, tapping her fingers on the floor.

"Most of the people seemed to think Rhysol was a monster. They said he was a god of evil and chaos, betrayal and lies. They said he was the cause of most of the bad in the world and that every bad thing that happened would only make him and his followers stronger. They said he was the enemy of all living things and especially of the Syliran Knights and that he wanted us all to burn. Maybe that stuff is true and maybe not. I don't know since they also said that Ravok was a city full of thieves and murderers and rapists and slavers. Oh, and crazy people who didn't know up from down or right from wrong." Not that Xii cared about morals like that. They were just more stupid human rules. "I suppose they got the slavers part right, but as for the rest..." She shrugged. "The way they talked about this place made it seem like the lake would be full of blood and the buildings carved from the bones of kids like me."

"What I want to know," the girl said, leaning forward now, "Is why the city isn't like they said it would be. There are rules here and the people seem safe and happy and just like normal people. Honestly, they don't seem all that different from the Sylirans I knew." She shot a look to his face to see if he'd get angry at the comparison. "And at least in Syliras nobody bothered to follow me around and try to sell me for a bit of gold. Not that I wouldn't rather be a slave than have to listen one more time to the blathering of the Knights." Without thinking about it, Xii signed stupid, useless, no good with one hand, her body language shifting to annoyance.

She looked up at Sullins, frowning now. "So why does everybody here think that Rhysol is a good guy? Bring up what the Sylirans said, and you have to worry about a black eye or getting dunked in the canal or worse. Why did Rhysol make a city like this one to rule over? And what exactly is it that the Black Sun do? They can't possibly think what the citizens think, can they? I mean, you must know better, don't you?"
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 31st, 2015, 9:00 pm

As Xii spoke, Clyde felt out to her within his aura sight. The djed worked and winded through Cha, and then expelled outward in a rush, a wave flowing outward and cleanly ensconcing the girl within a niche of his sight. What once would have taken chimes took mere ticks now. He'd been feeling it within his magic recently, a precipice, a level, similar to when he had gained a new understanding of Reimancy before it. Now he knew he was reaching that same precipice of understanding with Auristics, which meant a new level of ability.

Within his second sight Xii flashed for a moment, but not Xii as his mundane senses saw alone and weak, but magnified, purified, and from every direction. In that sense it wasn't like normal sight or sensing, with such limitations. It was likely he was looking at her from every side at once. He could smell her scent, feel the touch of her cloth that hid her form. The cold touch of dead cloth, and the warm touch of living flesh.

That was just the briefest of touches, seen and displayed as the outer layer of his attention glanced across the out-most essence of Xii's soul's exudings. About her he could also see, though on a different plane or level, the grey uncolored escence that was her. As he focused on it the colorless hue shifted and faded, slowly changing to a greyish-black hue. Her aura had a scent about it, which vaguely reminded Clyde of wild berries and cattails, something that didn't come about in cities.

Perhaps that had something to do with her unsettled nature within Ravok? But that odor was still confused. It would take a deeper reading and more pondering before he understood that, if he did indeed come to understand it.

Pressing upon her aura, he thrust inward with his sight, intending to look at deeper and unknown things. Somehow though his looking unintended looked literally inward, and he came to see flesh and muscle and internal things. With a resonating echo a wave of his focus swept through her, prying away level by level to see her inside the skin. It was with one such internal sweep, when he reached the bones, that he noticed something odd. He'd not done this specifically before, though he did have a basic understanding of human structure having been one his entire life. But he did find something unexpected, some kind of shoulder growth or something? Bone spurts? Nubs?

He couldn't quite name what it was, but it certainly didn't appear as a normal human would. Of course he had little to compare too... Likely he'd need to test it out on a few more people, before he could say for sure such a thing was odd.

He also noticed a series of scars, most quite large. He could tell if nothing else they weren't knew, as they looked healed over and scarred, so likely a wound of old. Clearly though the girl had some kind of physical experience where she'd been injured quite a bit.

So much information gathered in a short span of time. He'd grown skilled at using his Auristics while he listened to another speak, and often found it the best time to do his readings. But at that point the girl had finished her words, and required a response from Clyde. He still continued pressing inward and deeper with his reading, but he'd not be able to fully focus on it while also talking, and so would have to wait to look further till he next heard her response to what he next said.

“Both are right, and both are wrong. Syliran's tend to look at Rhysol with a closed mind, without trying to fully understand him. They make assumptions and stereotype all Ravokians as being the same. Some are as they say, but not all. Likely not even the majority. Most aren't too different from the common Syliran. Ravokian's on the other hand tend to focus on other aspects, and ignore the whole or the less desirable aspects of Rhysol, for the more positive. Having grown up in Syliras myself, and seen there view, and then later come to Rhysol and Ravok, I perhaps have a... Unique understanding of him. A more... Complete one.”

“Rhysol is God of Chaos, God of Lies, God of Betrayal and Evil. But these are not inherently bad domains. He does not force them upon people, it is a choice. He simply finds them within people, and helps them embrace them, helps them understand their true nature. By denying such things, repressing it, as the Syliran's do, they are cutting off so much. And if they truly believe they are free of these things, then they are the fools. Rhysol's domain can no more exist without good and truth, than good and truth can exist without evil and lies. It'd be like calling every direction up. Without something opposing it, a thing loses its meaning. It is by opposites, by differences, that things gain meaning. That land and air gain meaning and difference.”

“If all men where utterly honest, utterly good, and true, and straight, then Rhysol would have nothing to work with, would have nothing to corrupt. I think we both know that is not the case. The day that happens, would be the day we stopped being human, stopped being sentient and having choice. Such concepts only exist with choice, with freedom. You don't call a bear evil for mauling a man in his den. You don't say the wind is evil for blowing down your home. The fact that we discuss this now proves we have choice, and that there are no absolutes. Everything is a matter of perspective, a matter of action and choice and end result.”

“Rhysol is only the enemy of the knighthood of Syliras in as much as they are the enemy of him. They wish to oppose him, to expunge him, and so of course each is the others enemy. But I don't think he wants to destroy them. He understands the truth of things, is wise enough to see what would happen if he did. I don't doubt he'd like to corrupt and damage them, to use them as a focus for the energies of the Stryfe and Ravok, but to destroy them... No, not likely.”

“The Syliran's call us evil, for having embraced the thing they oppose. We embrace these things, try to understand them, for only when you understand something are you safe from it. How can you hope to shelter from a storm, if you don't understand it, the forms it takes and the threats it makes, then you cannot defend yourself from it. By accepting and understanding him and what he is, we gain power and protection from the domain of Rhysol.”

“That is what Ravok is. The embodiment of what happens when you embrace Rhysol's protection, when you embrace him and his domain. That is why Ravok seems such as it does. Because it is under Rhysol's protection, and thus freed. To those who follow him, it is the rest of the world that is evil and chaotic by comparison. It is logic, of a sort. Chaos logic. The logic of looking past preconceptions and expectations, and finding the underlying reasoning and logic within a illogical end result. Its the logic by which Rhysol and his choices and actions make sense.”

“The Black Sun is there to spread his name, his worship, and his domain.”

“As for slavers and your problems with them... That is because you have not accepted Rhysol and his protection. You have only seen half of it. The physical protection, the safety and peace of Ravok, are open to all. But the true protection, the belonging, is only open to those who belong, who are a part of him. To the citizens of Ravok. I'm afraid you won't find some trick to avoiding the slavers, so long as you are not a citizen. Without citizenship you do not have Ravok or Rhysol's protection, and so have no rights here. Only with citizenship and the acceptance of Rhysol do you truly gain his full protection. Well that or the protection and word of someone with power within the city. But unless you become a citizen, or gain a protector, you'll not be free of the slavers and anyone else in the city who wishes you harm.”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Xii on April 1st, 2015, 4:25 am

The young girl sat, enraptured and confused by the Ebonstyfe's words in equal measure. She struggled to keep up with what he was saying, and then all at once shifted the overlarge ~adult-sized~ backpack from her shoulders and rummaged within. Her fingers seized the brown leather-wrapped journal from the top of the pack's contents, and she drew it out and tossed the backpack to the side. The journal had a stick of charcoal sharpened to a point stuck within the first few pages at the very front of the book; Xii opened it to that marking, displaying the latest map she had crudely been drawing earlier, and flipped to the next blank page. She didn't look back up at Sullins, instead only listening raptly to his words.

As she listened, Xii began to scribble down collections of words, though her handwriting and spelling were as incorrigible as the map was poorly drawn. She wrote many things, little notes on what it was Sullins said. Throughout, her eyebrows were drawn down into a scowl of concentration, her tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth as she painstakingly suffered through the writing.

For a while after Sullins had stopped speaking she continued to slowly write. Most of the notes were incomplete compared to what he'd said, but she hadn't had time to write down all of it. Now she scanned the words, then put the charcoal down and looked back up. Questions formulated, which she rattled off in a list:

"What would happen if he destroyed the Knights?" she asked. "You said he needs good to be in the world, because if there wasn't then there would be no room for evil. Would destroying all good hurt him? Even destroy him?"

"And why do you want to be safe from Rhysol? Isn't that taking away his power?"

"How would I join the Black Sun?"

"Also, how would I accept Rhysol like you said and be a real citizen? Or... or how might I get other protection by someone in the city? Mizas?" Humans had a fascination with gold that Xii hadn't understood at first, though she was coming to see that to most of them, money meant power. And Xii liked power. That was another of her reasons for coming here.

Now she tapped her chin with one finger, frowning internally, though her true face remained studious and calm. This was not exactly what she'd been expecting. She wondered at the idea that Rhysol was not as he seemed. Sullins had said that Rhysol's 'domains' ~she wasn't exactly certain what a domain was, and she definitely didn't know what 'inherently' meant~ were not bad except... except in that they were opposed by what was thought of as good...? Did that mean Rhysol himself was not bad? She didn't know how she felt about that. She wasn't certain it even mattered.

Did she care that Rhysol may not be bad, if he still did things that people thought were so? Or if what was bad was still something she wanted to happen? Even if she didn't have the exact same goals as Rhysol, they might still work side by side. She had learned that throughout the course of her young life; most people she didn't like or agree with, but she still worked with them for the sake of getting what she wanted.

And she wasn't entirely certain that what Rhysol wanted, whatever he did want, wasn't what she wanted, too. They might just have different reasons.

Finally, after thinking that all through, she asked, "Do you know anything about what Rhysol wants? Why he does what he does? This... 'Chaos Logic'?" She didn't know how much Sullins was willing to tell her. Thus far she had gotten the better end of the deal; he had given a lot more information, and of more import, than she had. Xii wasn't certain how long that would last.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next