Shapeshifting Auras

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Shapeshifting Auras

Postby Elias Caldera on March 27th, 2015, 6:50 am

So an aurist is capable of seeing through the changes a morpher can make because their aura remains the same, regardless of how they manipulate their body.

I'm wondering then, is it the same case with races and creatures that can also change their bodies, like Kelvics and Dhani, or do the auras change shape to match each form?

On that note, does race play a role in how auras appear? With enough experience and skill, could an aurist determine someone's race via just their aura?
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Shapeshifting Auras

Postby Roderick on March 27th, 2015, 8:16 am

1. I could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that the aura of Kelvics and Dhani doesn't change when they shift between forms.

2. I'm no expert on auristics but I'd say yes. This kind of magic is made to glean information like that so I would think that figuring someones race out would be fairly easy.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Shapeshifting Auras

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 28th, 2015, 12:08 am

Technically, the reason a aurist can see through a morphers shifting is because it stays the same size. A distinction I know, but an important one. This is because even though for instance a skilled morpher could shrink down to dog or mouse size, they'd still have a human sized aura. Humans, being sentient, inherently have larger auras than mundane mice and animals that are not sentient.

The aura itself though would change, since part of morphing is changing your physical body. Its not just an illusion, such as with said gnosis, your body actually does change.

From my understanding of it, and going on how Tarot has described djed before, I'd say that morphing lets you alter the code that says what you look like on your soul, by using djed to cause the change. Its not a permanent change except with a master, but it does change it. And your aura is a layer of your soul. So if you are altering your soul, even temporarily, so as to shift you're form, it'd show up on your aura I'd think.

So an aurist seeing you morphed into a dog would see a dog, albeit with an oversized aura. They'd know it wasn't truly a dog due to the oversized aura, but as for being able to tell their original state... That would likely take some high level deep reading.

Of course since a morpher is actively using djed to cause the shifting, unless perhaps in the case of a master who's been in that shape for awhile, the aurist could probably detect the recent transmutation and use of djed, which would be another likely give away.

So anyways, an aurist can't see through a morpher's altered state in the sense that they can look and easily see what they truly look like, but can see through it in the sense that they'll know that isn't their true form.

As far as racial shifting, like Dhani or kelvic, I'm not certain on that. I doubt it'd be visible in the ways that morphing is though, since they don't work by the same mechanism. Perhaps the aura size thing, but likely not the other giveaways. But not totally certain on that aspect.

As for being able to see race in an aura... Also not certain on that. I mean I could see certain ones being more obvious, like a nuit since they are dead, but other races? Much less likely that there would be any glaringly obvious quality about them in their aura that marks them as that race. But not totally certain on that aspect.

Though if you know the specific race well, and what makes them unique from other races, it might be easier. But telling a human subrace from another? That'd likely be tricky if its possible at all since they are so close as compared to the non human races.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)