Get Out

Rosela is 110% done with this crap.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Get Out

Postby Rosela on March 27th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Timestamp: 30th of Spring, 515AV

Velvet ties. Velvet wraps. Velvet shawls. Velvet…belts? Leaning over to scratch out that line item, Rosela shifted back to the potatoes, hardly seeing them in front of her. She was starting to put together her summer line, and had made it a personal goal to use up as much of her current store of velvet as she could. Not enough of it had gotten used in the winter for the Ice Masquerade, so she wanted it gone before it sat long enough to get musty.

Folding her fingers back carefully, she pushed the large knife through the potatoes with a quiet, methodical ssshunk. She was making beef stew…again…as it was one of the few things she knew how to make. Flipping the pieces of potato out, she continued slowly cutting until they were in bite-sized cubes.

What more could she do with velvet? Velvet trimming came up as an idea and she shifted back to her paper, holding the knife out away from her. Taking her pencil in another hand she quickly sketched a female figure, trying to condense her vague idea into something workable. Over the shoulders, she drew bunches of fabric in tiny, loose arcs, swinging them down low over the bodice. Her pencil stopped, having come to the end of the idea thus far, and she returned to the potatoes. She took another from the pile and began slowly chopping again, doing her best to think on the design without chopping a finger off.

Ayatah and her child were out of the house, and Rosela was relishing the silence, broken only by the low bubbling of the broth and the sound of her knife going through the potatoes. Likhren had pushed, hard, to come over during the day, but she’d shut him down without question. Her home was her fortress against the outside, she’d always said, but the position was a little hard to defend after she’d let slip that she’d taken in a tenant. In plain words, he’d reacted like a petulant child and threw an angry, yelling fit. He’d come to the shop and given her what she assumed was supposed to be an apology, but ended up being more of an explanation as to why she was entirely wrong, which then devolved into a shouting match.

All the sincerity had left him, Rosela had realized, and while the rest of Riverfall had seemed to take a breath of fresh air, Likhren had breathed in poison. Between one visit and the next, he became crude, impatient, and, worst of all, a broke gambler.

Somehow, Rosela had absolutely no inclination to see him.

”Oh, a corset…” she muttered quietly to herself, moving away from the potatoes once again, she picked up her pencil and began drawing in slightly arced vertical lines down the waist, pausing in between to make a note on colors to the side. If she was doing a thin look at the center, then the fabric below should balloon out –

THOOM

A shuddering boom echoed through the house and Rosela’s pencil skittered off in a startled, jagged line. Her unspoken question was answered immediately when a familiar voice rang out from the front door.

“Honey, I’m home!”
Last edited by Rosela on March 27th, 2015, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Get Out

Postby Rosela on March 27th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Rosela forced herself to keep working and ignore the sound of Likhren’s footsteps approaching from the other end of the house. She knew he could see her from the moment he left the library, and clenched her shoulders to stop from instinctively turning to look. Her stomach clenched, sick with fury. The baby was still inside of her, and she wondered if it was afraid.

”I told you I didn’t want to see you today,” her voice barked out suddenly, against her will. His stride did not falter and he passed close enough to move out of her peripheral behind her. She didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of making her turn to look at him.

“Smells good,” he said casually, ignoring her first statement. “Glad you finally learned how to cook.”

If she could just ignore him long enough, maybe he’d get the point-

”Ugh!” A delicate tickle at her ear made her jerk away, and she finally rounded on him. He pulled his hand back with a smile, thoroughly unimpressed with her anger. Rosela smelled the low stench of beer between them and curled her lips in disgust. ”Have you been drinking? It’s midday!”

“I don’t work today, nothing wrong with having a few with the guys. I thought you said you didn’t mind?”

”I thought you said you didn’t gamble anymore.” His face soured immediately, and Rosela knew she’d guessed right. ”What about starting over? Getting away from that place?”

“I’ll do what I damn well please!”

”Fine, just don’t show up at my house, stinking like booze, when I told you I didn’t want to see you!”

"Hey, I'm allowed to come see you. I know my rights."

"Your...rights?" She felt like she was going to be sick. Her eyes met his and in an instant, she knew she was not having it this time.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Get Out

Postby Rosela on March 27th, 2015, 7:51 pm

She watched the muscles in his jaw work as he took a long, slow breath. “Listen. I didn’t come over to fight again.”

Rosela kept her snappish reply behind her teeth and settled back against the counter, four arms crossing over her belly while the last pair braced behind her.

“Let’s just start over. Here, what are you cooking? I’ll help.” He went for the pot hanging over the fire, managing to get the lid up before Rosela slapped his hand sharply with a wooden spoon.

”I said, I didn’t want to see you today.”

“What the hell is your problem? I’m over here, trying to take care of you-“

”I don’t need a gods-forsaken thing from you.”

He continued as though he hadn’t heard. “And who is all this for anyway? Aren’t you supposed to be watching your weight?” The jab was entirely obvious in its intended cruelty, but it still struck its mark and Rosela’s eyes immediately filled with tears. She was getting fat, and she knew it. Hearing it out loud, rather than the sweet protests he’d given her last season, was simply too much. “And here come the waterworks… Do you do anything other cry?”

Even hearing him taunt her about it did not stop the tears, and she violently scrubbed the heel of one hand over her eyes, coming away covered in her eyeliner. ”Shut up, shut up…”

“What the hell am I getting out of this anymore? You’re dripping in mizas, but you won’t even let me stay in this giant, empty house-“

”I have a tenant now-“ She protested weakly.

“You won’t throw me a single miza to help pay for food-“

”Because you gamble it all away-“ Her voice came back stronger this time, tears starting to dry in the return of her anger.

“Petch, you won’t even let me touch you, let alone give me-“

”YOU RAPED ME!” The words came out as a scream and were finally enough to silence him. Riding the wave of her wrath, she flung the wooden spoon at him, missing wildly. It felt outrageously good to finally say it aloud, after so long of making excuses. ”I don’t owe you a petching thing, you filth!” Everything everyone had said was true: he was scum; he was the lowest of the low; he deserved to die.

“Who do you think you are? You don’t talk to me like that!” He advanced on her, one hand raised into a fist.

Irrational in her fury, Rosela jumped forward to meet him. Her belly hovered inches from his belt, and she pushed her face up close to his, baring her teeth. ”Go ahead, filth. Go ahead.” It gave him pause, but she could see clear as the day that he desperately wanted to hit her. She was done being afraid. ”If you’re going to hit me, you’d better make it a good one, so when I tell the Oathmaster and they haul you away, they won’t know you hit like a woman.”

His eyes flared and she knew a moment before it happened that she’d pushed too far. The open palm of his hand hit her like a rush of cold water before the pain rose and turned it to fire. She stumbled sideways against the counter, sending potatoes flying. Two hands flew instinctively to protect her belly. He leaned over her and saw tears, black with mascara, run freely down her red cheek, but he didn’t see one of her hands curl tightly around the handle of the knife.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Get Out

Postby Rosela on March 27th, 2015, 7:52 pm

“You better listen. There’s going to be some changes around here-“

The knife whipped around with all the speed her pregnant body could muster, which wasn’t much. He jumped back with a shout and as much as Rosela would have wanted to see even a single drop of blood, there was none. “You petching-“

”Get out!” Her voice raw and it felt as though a hot torch lay against her cheek. ”Get out, GET OUT!” She swung the knife again, too far away to do any damage, but forced him away from her. Advancing on him, still swinging, and she paused long enough to snatch up the lid of the soup pot and pitched it at him. Whatever he’d been about to say was cut off as it hit him in the chest and bounced off. ”Get…OUT!” Her voice cracked but she kept advancing on him, through the leisure room and towards the library. They passed a vase, and she grabbed it with all four hands, almost stumbling at its unexpected weight, and hurled it at him. Seeing a modicum of fear for the first time, Rosela grinned a fierce, sadistic smile as he finally turned and ran. The vase crashed to the floor with a scream of shattering porcelain, quickly followed by the boom of the slamming front door.

Not believing he was truly gone, Rosela shuffled best she could with her quickly dying strength to the front door, immediately flipping the deadbolt and watching him through the window jump down the front stairs to the street. He looked back once he was there, seeing her dark, vague shape through the patterned glass. They stood locked there for a moment, sweat dripping into the palm that gripped the knife. After a heartbeat that seemed like forever, Likhren angrily kicked a stone into her bushes and started down the street.

Inside the house, Rosela turned away from the door as smoothly as she could, but sunk against the wall and dropped the knife with a clatter as soon as she was out of sight. All six hands wrapped around her belly, the lower half of which contracted painfully. Gulping for air as tears began again, she thought crazily that this was it – she was having her child. When the contraction passed, reason returned and reminded her that she as not due for an entire season yet. The Oathmaster had warned her about these, false contractions. She wasn’t supposed to worry.

Praying to any god she hoped was listening, she waited on the dark library floor for the contractions to pass. After an age of sweat and terror, the next contraction did not come, and Rosela finally loosened her grip on her midsection. Sprawled out without an ounce of dignity, she wanted nothing more than to take a nap on that very floor. She could see to the other end of the house though, where her broth was boiling over. It was likely ruined. Making an effort to slow her breathing, she grabbed at the empty bookshelves around her and slowly hauled herself off the floor.

By the time she’d skirted the mess of porcelain and shuffled the length of the house back to the kitchen, the stew was a bubbling, hissing mess and she had to use the fetched wooden spoon to push it away from the fire. Her heart rate was beginning to return back to normal and she felt the baby shift for the first time since Likhren had arrived. Sighing deeply, she looked over at the potatoes scattered over the floor and tried to think of a way to pick them up without having to bend over.

Should she tell the Oathmaster? Of course she should. The wretch was a danger to her baby, which was all they cared about.

Should she tell Hirem? Now that was a good question. He’d already sworn once to kill her Talvis if he ever touched her, and she was sorely tempted to take him up on the offer, despite what she’d said at the time.

Her cheek still burned fiercely, but she didn’t taste any blood on her lips. A red cheek could be covered with makeup, a swollen lip would be harder. If he'd blackened her eye, she may very well kill him herself. She glanced around at the shadows, seeing them flicker and shift, observing her silently as they always did. What would be the best way to use this secret?

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Get Out

Postby Aoren on April 5th, 2015, 12:17 am

Rosela

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Cooking +1 EXP
Planning +1 EXP
Art (Fashion Design) +1 EXP
Intimidation +4 EXP
Interrogation +2 EXP
Rhetoric +3 EXP
Brawling +1 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Cooking: Beef Stew
Sewing: The Many Uses of Velvet
Likhren: Enough Is Enough

Notes :
If you have comments, questions or concerns please approach me at your earliest convenience. Don't forget to edit/delete your request in the request thread!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)