[ The Rearing Stallion ] The Calling part 5

Holland goes to speak with the elderly woman and give her the weapon back.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Holland Rolandus on April 7th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Having finally found the weapon he’d gone out of his way to grasp. Holland felt satisfied, and yet all at the same time uncertain. What if the woman sent him on a mission to steal something they had and wasn’t hers? What if Holland was the villain, the criminal and the antagonistic character? Holland didn’t want to be on the wrong end of a Knights blade. Despite how much he hated them for their tyrannical behavior patterns he feared them. This was no time to be discouraged, here Holland found himself resting in the same spot again. Holland was in a seated position near the wall of the vicinity. Holland wasn’t quite as nervous as he would’ve typically been in this situation. He’d undergone it once already, and twice was no longer a challenge. He overcame fear, and waltzed in confidently. He patiently awaited the elderly woman to come by again, and didn’t move an inch from that position. Holland simply placed his elbow upon the counter, and looked about. Holland observed the actions of the multitude of people within the vicinity. He paid close attention to the motions of the every day “Normal” people. Holland couldn’t even learn very much about being social. He didn’t like to talk much, but day by day he was being forced to do so quite often. He hated majority of people, due to the fact that his father robbed him of everything he ever enjoyed as a child. Discipline was the most important thing in his fathers’ eyes. Conviction was the second most important, and if it had nothing to do with those two things; it would be taken. Holland hated conversing with others, because he has a fear deep down. That they’ll be snatched away from him the very moment he begins to enjoy their company. It is also the reason behind his protective nature when it came to Claudia.

If Holland so much as thought anyone would take her away from him; he lost his mind. Holland hated majority of other males, and thought they weren’t worth the air they breathed. Because of his fathers actions against him as a child Holland had issues with trust. Holland became lost in his thoughts, and continued to think about the mistakes he has made in the past. He remembered the several beatings and bruises he suffered at his fathers’ hands in the past. The macabre stories his father told and even remembering what it meant to suffer alongside a combat partner. Holland’s father enforced upon Holland the “Trust no one” factor. Those three words altered his mind-set for the remainder of his life. Holland couldn’t seem to ever forget about all of the negative things that occurred in his lifetime. Never once did Holland think about the good he’d done in his life-time. He had a habit of being pessimistic. Holland expected the worst outcome in majority of cases that occurred. He preferred to call himself much more of a realist, and stick to what is realistic. Holland wasn’t typically the individual to be caught chasing a dream or aspiration. He was used to being a drifter, and aimlessly avoiding becoming a better person. Holland thought about the fact that he wanted to change for his woman. Yet, it was ironic how much internal conflict he underwent day by day as he thought of her. Holland thought to himself about what it truly meant to be strong. Philosophically he figures that strength isn’t measured with muscle mass or mettle. Strength should be measured by determination and will-power.

Holland continued to think, and several more chimes passed him by. “Tell me not that life is but a dream. Tell me not that aspirations are achieved through luck. Tell me that diligence is the key and that life can only move forward through hard work and dedication. Tell me now that the only dreams which come true are the ones ye’ spend time working to reach. Tell me that speaking mournful meaningless words is pointless and but a waste of breath. For philosophy is something far beyond what the typical man can understand. Often times ye’ meet your destiny on the very path you attempt to walk in order to avoid it. That is what destiny is, destiny is virtue reachable through passionate hard work and dedication!” The rebellious thoughts concluded themselves immediately as they were interrupted. The elderly woman walked right through the door, and immediately met Holland with a smile. A light chuckle exited her lips as she sat in the seat in-front of Holland. She spoke in her ever so raspy voice “Hello there, Mercenary. Have you completed the task I gave you?”

Holland replied immediately and didn’t hesitate at all. He simply nodded, and removed from his right pocket the metallic object. The elderly woman extends both her palms simultaneously, and her hands trembled. He placed the object within her palms; having given her a stern look in the eyes. Almost as if he were to interrogate the woman he spoke. “Hey, well. Let me get to the point. Why in blazing hell would you have me risk my life to grab this? It’s a dagger and you could’ve simply gone out and bought one at any given time. Yet, you wanted to make me waste my time and go get this one rather then simply buying a new one? Tell me; tell me what is so special about this thing this very instant. I even unsheathed it and looked at the strange engraving on the damned thing. I couldn’t even read it, what is up with this stupid dagger of yours?” Holland spoke in quite the rash mannerism.

Curiosity struck Holland in the back of the head immediately. He wanted answers as to why bandits that dangerous wanted it. The elderly woman licked her dry lips, and Holland observed as she did so. Paying attention to her every move and she grasped the daggers hilt. Slowly but steadily pulling the dagger from the ornate scabbard, and placing the small blade in her palm again. She spoke and wished to tell Holland something she waited until he looked up again.

“Mercenary, Let me tell you a few things about myself and why this weapon is important to me. “ She stopped speaking for a moment, and spoke again. Telling the younger male another story about her past.

Holland Rolandus
The Wandering Sellsword

Words: 150335
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Holland Rolandus on April 8th, 2015, 1:39 am

"I am not a human."

Holland looked baffled for a moment, and couldn't even speak. Yet, he gave her a nod of the head. In order to tell her to go on; he didn't want to interrupt something that could help him gain information. Nor would he bother attempting to stop her from explaining herself. After all she had quite a bit of explaining to do at this point. Holland wanted answers and this was the only way to get them. Therefore he listened closely and gave her his undivided attention. Not even for a moment did he take his eyes off of her. He stared and listened as she explained she was something other then human. She called herself by the name of a particular race called the “Myrians.” She told him tales of all the terrors she experienced as a child. She’d apparently grown up watching her relatives die one by one. She told him that majority of her family members were either captured or killed by the age of thirty.

Holland’s eyes widened in shock, and she continued to tell the tales. She told Holland about the fact that she grew up without parents. Due to the fact that her father was always off in battle. Her mother however was simply prostituting herself in exchange for money in order to attempt taking care of her children. Yet, in the midst of being so caught up loaning out her body. She eventually found herself growing very ill and she passed away several weeks later. Leaving herself and her sisters to fend for one another, and learn to take care of themselves. Which was no easy task, but it had been done and she survived to this day. She traveled quite an incredibly long distance; from Taloba to Syliras. Only to figure that she would much rather remain in a peaceful place. As a child she’d watched her father die right in-front of her. Holland took it all in as she told him the absolutely horrific tale. Holland could only sit and watch; attempting to hold down his food. Holland gagged as she went in detail. Describing piece by piece of what happened to her father. Another male from a rival tribe slammed a blade right through her fathers’ heart. The weapon exited his spinal cord, and blood spattered all over the forest floor. The very thought of witnessing that happen disgusted Holland. The sickening wretched smell of blood, and the sight of blood-covered steel. Holland experienced the imagery of each and every bit of the story. Feeling almost as if she’d placed him right where she was all those years ago.

Holland could hardly withstand hearing more of this story, and he refused to listen to more of it. He simply cut off the woman’s sentences as she spoke and immediately spoke for himself. “Would you get to the damned point already, Lass? I’m growing tired of hearing this overly extensive story for no reason at all. I’m sorry to be rude but I don’t see the point or the value in you telling me stories about your life. How do they relate to me and what I have done for you is the question?” Holland concludes his rather short lived speech. The elderly woman cackled at the boys’ ignorance, and she then spoke a few words of her own. “Lad, you are so young and foolish that it makes me sick. A story, telling a story is more then simply listening. You experience the story not only with your ears, but all of your senses. The words tend to flow in one ear and right out of the other in your case because you don’t listen. Stories teach lessons, stories give wisdom, a single story can change your life. A single story can change the world, but in order to change the world what must you change” The elderly woman asked Holland, and left him baffled for a moment. Holland thought about the question, and yet he couldn’t find an answer at all. Never did he even manage to get the words to come out of his mouth to give her a response. After a few ticks she laughed at Holland and told him that due to his ignorance he would always risk his life in battle. “Lesson one, Mercenary. In combat underestimating an opponent is absolutely foolish. That is the last and final thing you should ever do in combat. Lesson two then someone tells you a story, learn to listen and gain something from it. For now your ignorance and stupidity clouds your mind and you’ve learned hardly anything. Even when you used your rapier did you ever once use the over-head strike I mentioned to you? I bet you didn’t because you fought like a rabid animal not knowing what to do! I bet the only reason you won any of those fights is due to a stroke of luck. Do you want to know why this dagger is so precious?! Do you stupid boy?!” The old hag raised her voice with him, and Holland didn’t like it.

Yet, Holland knew that he had to respect her. She was teaching him valuable lessons, and he wouldn’t simply throw away a lesson. He spoke to her in a very clear and concise tone. “Yes of course I want to know what is so special about that dagger that made you nearly get me killed retrieving it!” Holland spoke and she smiled a bit. The old hag unsheathes the weapon from its’ ornate scabbard. The elderly woman showed him the engraving upon the weapon. Telling Holland to read it, and yet Holland couldn’t read it. She spoke to him immediately after noticing the bewildered look on his face. “This engraving is the reason why I wanted you to get the weapon. That isn’t in any written language. It is a code, and the code says quite the simple series of words that may some day be useful to you.” The old hag spoke to him once more.

When she revealed to him what the blade said it was so simple, yet so complex all at the same time. The weapon read “There is no secret to becoming a warrior. Becoming a strong fighter is much different from becoming a warrior. To become a fighter means to simply have experience and skill in combat. Yet, to become a warrior means that you understand that you must be both a fighter and a tactician. Yet, to become a warrior who is truly pure at heart you must look at the weapon. Do not look at the code, Look at the weapon itself. Look at the metal. What do you see, tell me what you see?” The blade read, and Holland found all of this to have been silly. Therefore he decided upon telling the woman what he saw in the steel. Holland went on to tell her that what he saw was himself. The old hag replied in a soft tone.

“You’ve got it.” She spoke.

Holland replied. “I’ve got what?”

She spoke again “ There is no secret.”

Holland replied once more “ No secret to what?”

She spoke for a final time. “There is no secret to becoming strong. The truth is that strength lies with each and every one of us as an individual person. In order to become the strongest warrior, you must know that in your heart you are truly worthy of the title. The secret to being strong has lied within you all along, Boy. Now it is your choice on rather or not you’ll use the strength that is within you. Rather or not you will go on to conquer those above you. Everything, is a choice, everything.” She spoke in a philosophical manner before walking right out of the door.

Holland Rolandus
The Wandering Sellsword

Words: 150335
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Katelyn Marks on April 21st, 2015, 5:54 pm

Due Rewards

“After nourishment, shelter, and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
― Philip Pullman

Holland
Skills
➢ Philosophy +2
➢ Socialization +1
➢ Observation +2
➢ Interrogation +2
➢ Tactics +1
➢ Intimidation +1

Lores
➢ Philosophy: The True Measure of Strength
➢ The Importance of Listening and Learning
➢ The Dangers of Underestimating an Opponent

Comments: Good job. Gave you what I could since this was short.

If you have any concerns or questions about your rewards please feel free to send me a message. Also, please edit your original grade request and mark it as graded. Thank you and enjoy!
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)