[Windmount Stables]Horsing Around!

Kreig gets a pony!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Kreig Messer on April 20th, 2015, 5:37 am

Spring 60th, 515 A.V. 9th Bell, 15th Chime.

Kreig could only sigh this day, nothing new about that when one knows why he was sighing. Of the skills he had to learn as squire of the order, one which he found tedious if only due to a bit of trauma; In short, it was riding. While he was getting over the trauma somewhat, he was still reluctant when it came to the matter. Something he could be hardly blamed for, after all, getting hit by a low hanging branch whilst escaping on a horse at what felt like horrifying speeds was hardly a ‘pleasant’ experience which, of course, made his trepidation at being at the Windmount Stable’s riding grounds an understandable prospect.

He wasn’t up for another riding session with Straggulle, or was it Stragule? He wasn’t sure what the correct pronunciation was but the name itself spoke volumes of the horse’s nature and he certainly lived up to the name.

He sighed again, fearing that he may have to ride the horse again as he stuck his hands in his pockets, the brim of his hat hiding his features as he made his way to the grounds. The only consolation it seemed was that the weather didn’t look to be raining anytime today, despite the clouds that covered the sky. He was early, he knew that, so he felt no need to rush as he walked down the path till eventually he made it to the circular fields where, just outside the fence, he could see his patron with two horses, neither of which were the monster that was Straggule. Kreig breathed an inner-sigh of relief there, but still he was curious about the new horses he saw. He could see that one was a familiar sight; in fact it looked much like the horse that his Patron rode on to Kenash and back. Other than being particularly well taken care of, it didn’t strike Kreig as anything special other than it seemed to have this sense of ‘been there, done that’ which indicated just how well traveled it was.

The horse next to it, however, felt like quite the oddity. It was well, shiny; there was no other way to put it as he saw the strange looking creature up close and beneath the dimmed skies where Syna’s ray barely passed through the clouds. It was odd how it seemed to light up, this brown horse with a golden-seeming mane. What was especially disconcerting was that instead of the look of disdain and long-suffering annoyance that Kreig saw on Straggule, this horse had a look that said ‘ I know something you don’t, and boy will I tease you for it’ and well, he didn’t know whether to be amused or even more horrified at the prospect.

The look of mixed relief was evident to his patron, who couldn’t help but give a slight grin “ I see Yomi has caught your eye, Kreig.

Kreig raised a brow at the name, it certainly sounded interesting to be sure, but it didn’t sound like any word he knew in common or any other. Though admittedly his vocabulary in foreign languages was lacking “ Yomi? Is that its name?” Kreig asked as he approached the horse, which suddenly huffed in light amusement by the question.

Natasha nodded as she looked to the horse, then extended her arms to hand Kreig the reins “ That is indeed her name, rather fits her truth be told ” Kreig raised a brow, wondering what that meant as he cautiously grasped the reins with his right, looking Yomi in the eyes and noticing a sly look in its eyes. “ Don’t be so nervous, Kreig. I don’t think it wise to let her see how her new partner is a nervous wreck ” Kreig eyes suddenly bolted to his patron, wondering just what she meant by partner, only to meet a carrot being pointed at his face. Kreig looked at his patron, who motioned for him to take it.

He looked at it quizzically, only to be pushed slightly by Yomi who nudged head against his shoulder “ I do think she’d like that carrot you’re holdin, Kreig” A look of sarcasm washed over Kreig’s face, his brows furrowing as if ‘Gee, I hadn’t noticed[/color]’ “ Just hold the carrot from the bottom with your palm and present it to her” She instructed, Kreig nodded reluctantly, uncertain how to handle this new horse other than through his patron’s instruction.

[i] Why must I feel like a chicked when it comes to them
’ Of course, he’d already known the answer and thus there was no need to explore it again at this time. With a sigh, he adjusted his hold over the carrot so that his palm was gripping the base whilst his fingers were stretched outward. With further trepidation he extended his arm forward towards Yomi’s maw, gulping as it opened it and letting him have a good view of its strong teeth that could easy crush the bones of his hand and probably rip it off, a thought that had crossed his mind as his hand slowly reached the maw….. He had nearly closed his eyes in fear as its maw descended over the carrot and…. Gently plucked it up and began chewing on it with relish.

Well, that was certainly much better than I thought it would be” Kreig admitted with relief as he lowered his hand and looked at his Patron “ So, Sera, by partner you don’t happen to mean that this horse will be the one I’ll be riding for the duration of our exercises here?” Kreig asked, though his patron’s wide, innocent looking, smile cast a sinking suspicion that made his stomach lurched. In fact, it all about sank as she spoke her next words;

Not quite Kreig, you see, the Order has decided to gift you with a horse as a sign of appreciation to your dedication. Yomi is all yours!” Yomi’s sudden neigh, which sounded suspiciously like laugther, seemed to speak volumes. It were as if she were saying ‘ Oh gods, the look on your face is hilarious! Messing with you will be so fun

Bugger'
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on April 23rd, 2015, 5:30 am

So when you say she’s mine….” Kreif tried to confirm, is eyes darting to the horse that seemed to have an unnatural shine, the horse seemed to just shake its head as if his head were a bit too thick.

I say she’s a hundred percent yours Kreig, were my last words not clear to you?” She felt exasperated for repeating this, sometimes her squire’s apprehension towards horse could be borderline ridiculous “ As I’ve said, Yomi is a gift from the Order to you for your efforts, a job well done.

Kreig nodded, he’d grasped the meaning the first time, but part of him hoped this would be a bad dream. He realized he was exaggerating in his trepidation, especially after he fed the horse a carrot without ill consequence thank the gods “ It’s an honor, Sera. I’m just not sure I’d be a good companion for this horse considering my fear. ” Natasha rolled her eyes at this, not that she didn’t understand but they’d been through this time and again and quite frankly its becoming a chore.

Kreig, the fact you admit to that should put you ahead by a good mile compared to those who claim to know. Also, you have my help in teaching you how to ride and take care of Yomi, so you really have nothing to worry about ” She ignored to add the fact that she didn’t think he’d be running into low-hanging branches anytime soon, she’d seen Kreig’s luck when it came to getting hurt and Kreig was still sensitive about that event that mentioning it wouldn’t be helpful.

Kreig, for his part, seemed to relax a bit more with that vote of confidence from his patron. Seeing this, Natasha thought it perhaps wise to capitalize on this as she handed him the reigns for Yomi “ Now, let us take a gentle stroll. I’m sure Yomi would be glad for it” Looking at the mischievous horse, Kreig couldn’t find it in himself to refuse. After his patron put his faith in him, how could he refuse? In addition, he didn’t want to chicken out in front of the horse, less whatever little credibility he held in its eyes be loss.

With a silent sight, he resigned himself to his fate as he approached Yomi from the side. Gently he placed his hands on its back, then setting his right foot inside the stirrup and with a sudden grunt he pushed himself up, swinging his left leg over Yomi so that he now sat on her back and settled his left foot on the stirrup on the appropriate stirrup.

Alright, nothing bad happened” He murmured to himself before looking to his patron and giving her a nod, seeing that she had now climbed atop her mount. Nodding in return, his patron begun moving before him to lead. Kreig followed soon after as he gripped the reigns and gently pressed the heels of his boots against Yomi’s side, prompting her to move behind Natasha and her horse.

Now here’s hoping I don’t get tossed off…
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on April 27th, 2015, 8:17 am

Surprisingly, Kreig found himself more comfortable on Yomi than when he was on Straggule. It was an interesting experience to be sure, Yomi, despite whatever mischievousness that may define her, seemed to be quite cooperative when ridden And I hope she stays that wayKreig still felt quite nervous about that, as comfortable as he was becoming, he still expected something to go wrong.

In response to his worries, Yomi seemed to be annoyed, as if she had a big baby on her back that would soil himself if she were to go into even a gentle trot. Still, despite all the nervousness she complied with Kreig’s demands well as they walked through the riding pen. As they followed Natasha and her Horse, Kreig would press against her sides to comply her to move behind, whenever they made a turn Kreig would press her side gently and pull on the reins in accordance to the direction they needed to move in. All in all, Yomi was quite compliant in all the directions given to her by Kreig.

Sera Natasha was glad to see how smooth things were going as she occasionally glanced back just in case Kreig somehow loses control and ends up finding a tree with a low branch to smack his head with. So far, that hasn’t happened yet but she still wished Kreig would relax more, but much like Syliras was built in a day, she couldn’t expect Kreig to get over his small phobia of horses overnight. She should be glad he was making the effort at least.

After half a bell of walking around on their horses, Kreig pulled the reins of his horses to inform Yomi to stop as his Patron did so. He was glad that it was over for now, if only to calm his nerves. Yomi turned shook her back and turned her head, letting out a snort as if saying ‘ Come on, I’m not about to let you get hurt. Petch, you’re making me nervouse you git’ Kreig sighed as he leaned forward and ran a hand through Yomi’s reign “ Yeah, yeah, sorry for overreacting. You did good, yeah?” Kreig said sincerely and put on a small smile, he had been told before by Sera that it was important to compliment a horse.

Sera looked at Kreig approvingly, but put on her instructors face before she interrupted the moment “ Well, Kreig, it seems your control is improving. A very good sign I must say, but I believe you still need a couple more days of training before we move on the next step.” Kreig raised his brow at that as he sat straight once more.

“ Next step, Sera?” He had a sinking suspicion of what that could be, though to be fair he didn’t much know about riding to make an educated guess, he just hoped there would be no trees nearby. His patron simply nodded, looking amused by his nervousness before answering.

“Yes, after we better your control, we shall move on to trotting. Think of it as a slow-paced jog, its as simple as walking only faster so a degree of control is needed” Kreig released the breath he was holding, relief washing over him. If that was all it was.

“ Now, let us continue walking, yes?”

And so resumed walking they did, walking on their horses till they were done and walking on their own two feet, walking till they ended up back at the dorms.

In a way, his chest felt heavy, a combination of thoughts about the future alongside the relization that he had another mouth to feed tends to that. Yomi, as his patron would put it, would be not only his horse but a friend, a companion that would watch his back. That in itself felt comforting, as nervous as he felt about horses it was good to know he had another loved to care for, yet worry came as it was also another loved one he had to protect 'That seem's to be my lot in life he chuckled ruefully. A final thought occured to Kreig, a question he neglected to ask and yet now that he was back at his room and his Patron returning to her home to work on some reports it was simply too late.

" Why was that horse SHINY?! x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Devi on August 31st, 2015, 7:44 pm

Your Grades have arrived!

Kreig

Skills:
  • Land Navigation: 1
  • Horsemanship: 1
  • Animal Husbandry: 1
  • Riding: 2
Lores:
  • Horsemanship: Feeding carrots to your horse
  • Riding: Mounting
  • Yomi: My mischievous horse
Comments: +1 Shield Point for thread with Patron

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback. Don't forget to edit your post in the Grade Request Thread to say it's graded and leave a link in there for the Storytellers.

Happy Writing!

Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes