[Sullins' Residence] Making an Oath [Clyde Sullins]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Xii on May 31st, 2015, 7:40 pm

Xii was getting annoyed. She didn't know if it was because Sullins seemed to outmatch her when it came to this kind of thinking, or if it was because his explanations made it seem that he did not truly want to change the contract in any way. The original contract, in Xii's eyes, was a trap, plain and simple. Why was he fighting so hard to keep it that way?

His promise to act in good faith was meaningless to the girl. They were just words. It wasn't like she could read his intentions. So what, exactly, was she supposed to do? She wouldn't simply agree to this because he wanted her to. Hadn't he been the one to tell her to be wary of magics she didn't understand?

His arguments were well-crafted, but if anything that made her dislike them more. How did he know so much? How did he think so much all the time, about everything?

Still, the Zithling would not give up. This was a challenge unlike anything she'd approached before. She struggled to push against the weight of the words, trying to figure out a way to worm her way through them.

"Fine... so we won't put in the word 'easily'. We could limit the word 'endeavors' then. What do you want from this contract, exactly?" She paused to let him know it was an actual question, not one that she didn't expect him to answer. "As I understand it you want an assistant, right? Someone to help you with your magic stuff, or your career stuff, or whatever it is you do. We could limit 'endeavors' to that then. Say something like ' Endeavors related to the um, advancement of your magics and your career. ' We could define 'advancement' if you really thought it was necessary. But otherwise would that work? Saying something like that would exclude dumb things like getting you food or washing your clothes, you know, slave stuff. But it wouldn't exclude the simple tasks related to your work that I might have to help with... the leaves-counting thing, stuff like that. So would that work?" At this point she was expecting him to debate her suggestions, and so she set her chin, ready for his answer.

"As for the education stuff, um..." She trailed off. He was asking what sort of instruction she thought was reasonable, but she had hardly ever been to a school at all. She didn't know what to expect, she didn't know what she should want. If she could have it her way ~which obviously she couldn't~ she would wring the knowledge out of Sullins in a season or two and have it all for herself. But that wouldn't work for more reasons than one. So what should she ask for?

"We could do it bigger. Uh. You're counting by seasons. We could do it by years, I guess. Or half-years." She paused. "I don't really know what 'independent study' is, so I don't know how that fits in. But lessons... what about like, you promise to answer a certain number of questions that I have ~related to magic~ per year or half-year. I don't know what number it would be. Ten? Twenty? More? Less?"

That would be tricky to do right, but she thought it might work, maybe. If she only had a certain number of questions to be answered, then she would think more about the ones she asked, and end up asking better questions. Plus, if he was feeling generous, he could answer more than just the ones he was required to. Not that she expected him to be generous, but maybe it could happen.

"Answering a question could be done in many different ways. You could simply hand me a book to read, or give a practical lesson, or answer in a lecture, or designate another teacher. Or anything else you could think of." She nodded. "Plus, if we had to be separated, maybe we could figure out other ways. You could assign a different teacher, like I said before, or you could write the answers and send them to me in a letter and I could send any other questions back. What do you think?"

She rather liked this solution she'd come up with. It appealed to her inquisitive nature. She hoped it would fit with the rest of the contract. Sullins' problems, he had said, were with being too specific. Well, this was a flexible answer, wasn't it? There were many ways a question might be answered, and so many ways of being taught.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Xii is "speaking Pavi" and also signing Pavi Note
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Words: 143088
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 31st, 2015, 9:25 pm

As Clyde's listened to Xii's next rendition of responding to his words, he looked over the practice oath he'd written in preparation of making the final oath.

It seemed to help to have a frame of mind for where things were at to start with, to see where she wanted to take things, and how they interacted.

His first issue was a small one.

“Advancement of my research, not my magic. Not all of my research is magic. Some of my research is general intellectual pursuits, or other purposes. So wording within the endeavor bit... "Said gain can be related to research or career." I could possibly see that working. Career would fall sort of under the later defined social and political, since its sort of a combination of both.”

Her next question was another indicator that perhaps Xii did not know common too well. Clearly she needed to work on such things, and he'd spend a good bit of time explaining common terms. He'd already had to explain quite a bit.

“Independent study is where you study... Independently... I set you upon a route, perhaps with some tasks or things to attempt, and you study or practice on your own without me. The aforementioned leaf counting example exercise.”

The final issue was in relation to the clause clause, as he'd called it earlier, the bit about teaching that would act as an alternative release for the release of Duty clause.

“For the clause clause... Perhaps worded as... "Clyde Sullins will facilitate five questions per year being answered, explained, taught about, or expanded upon, related to magic or a subsidiary topic. If this is not done, then the aforementioned release of Duty will occur. This includes for a given year questions or things taught prior to the signing of the oath. Also, if in a year just prior to the current one more questions were answered than the minimum required, up to two of the extra for a given year can count for the year following."

Trying to break down the clause clause, Clyde tried to explain the wording he'd used in more detail.

“So if I for example do one lesson to explain the basics of something, and then another to focus on a particular topic in depth, that would count as two. And if I give extra lessons in one year, it can count for the next, though only to a limited amount. What do you think of that?”

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Xii on May 31st, 2015, 11:03 pm

Finally! They were getting someplace. It seemed her last suggestions were more along the lines of ones he'd been looking for. Good. She hadn't been certain she'd be able to come up with anything else.

The Zithling sagged slightly where she stood as Sullins turned to look over the draft once more, listening to his final suggestions while nodding her head. Her temples were throbbing, but she was pleased that they would end up making changes to the original oath. This was now a document that would protect her as well as bind her, and that was what she'd been looking for.

"Research," she said, when he made a slight adjustment. "That's fine." She didn't mind helping with anything that had to do with studying or career. Those topics were far enough away from the other stuff ~household chores and the like~ that she didn't think she could be forced into waiting on him hand and foot.

His explanation of independent study made sense, and that was one of those questions that she probably hadn't needed to know or could have figured out by herself if she thought about it more. She'd have to practice keeping her mouth shut and really thinking. Otherwise she might end up wasting her questions on stupid stuff.

Still, though it would be good practice now to stop bugging him for every little detail, she had to wonder what some of those other words meant. 'Facilitate' she thought she knew, but 'subsidiary' she was certain she'd never heard before. Where did he come up with words like those? Maybe he just made them up...

However, it wasn't really necessary to ask in the end, since he stopped to explain in common terms what he meant by that last bit. Five questions for a year seemed so few... but then again, she could be choosy in her asking, so it wasn't that big a deal. And she thought the part about the extra questions carrying over made sense. That way if at some point they knew they would be separated, they could plan in advance. "It all sounds good, I think." She shot him a grin, her sharper-than-human teeth flashing. "Who knew writing a few words could be so hard, huh. So now... I guess once that new stuff is added in we can make the real Oath." She was interested in getting that done. What would it be like to sign? Something special, or like writing on any other piece of paper? She wondered if any fancy magic stuff would go into it, and how long it might take to make.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 1st, 2015, 12:36 am

As it turned out, there were only two changes made to the oath he'd initially prepared. One for the added clause clause, and one for the definition of endeavors.

As he added the adjustments to the practice oath, Clyde smiled at Xii's latest comment, and shook his head.

“Who would've thought it? Anyone who's signed an oath, that's who! Often the fewer words you have, the harder it is to narrow it down to what is needed. And with oaths, all of their unexpected meanings and twists, it takes quite a bit of preparation to try and close out all possible misunderstandings or issues. I usually base each oath off of the previous one, adding in bits or editing parts for the particular case, or to fix issues I've come to realize, but quite a bit of work went into this oath on my part, even if some of it was done by prior oaths.”

As he finished up making his adjustments, Clyde took out a second blank sheet and recorded down the practice oath again, this time in its complete form. That way they'd each have a copy.

“But that's a tale for another time. Just be glad this isn't my first oath.”

Once he was done with both copies, Clyde began filling in the oath and its full wording on the grand oath paper. This time he took care to right cleanly and legibly, to not drip any ink, nor to smudge. It took quite a bit longer than the rushed copies had, at least several chimes.

But since he'd done most of the pre-work previously, it meant there wasn't to much to add to finalize the oath.

I, the undersigned, hereby swear upon the divine halls of Ukalas and all those who dwell within that I shall do as follows:

- To not bring harm(defined later) to Clyde Sullins, either directly, indirectly, or through inaction, whether through means magical or mundane, unless said harm is to stop Clyde Sullin's assured and immediate death.

> In the case of Clyde Sullin's overgiving and total loss of control/inability to stop using magic when he should, the signee would be allowed to physically harm Clyde Sullins to hinder or stop him from using magic, so long as said action would not lead to the assured and immediate death of Clyde Sullins. Maiming would only be allowed as a last resort and if no other viable and less harmful method is possible.

- To not use magic on Clyde Sullins without his direct and express permission, or in the case that not using said magic would lead to Clyde Sullins assured and immediate death. In the case of having his permission or attempting to stop his demise, the signee would not use said magic in an attempt to control or manipulate Clyde Sullins, or to alter his reasoning or mentality.

- To not use magic beyond the signee's limits at that time, and to cease expending djed in using magic as soon as the signee enters overgiving, even minor overgiving. Upon entering overgiving the signee will not use magic again until they are fully recuperated from said djed expenditure.

> Clause to the line directly above about magic usage and stopping with overgiving- In the case where not using magic would lead to the immediate and assured death of the signee and/or Clyde Sullins, and said magic by the signee is the only way to stop said death, the above said limitation is waved, and the signee would be allowed to continue using magic until there is no longer an immediate and assured threat of death to the signee and/or Clyde Sullins, so long as said magic usage does not directly go against the previous line about not harming Clyde Sullins. At such a time when the threat has been abated and is no longer an assured and immediate threat, the current clause will no longer apply.

-Duty- The signee will aid Clyde Sullins in his endeavors(to be defined later) in any way possible, within their ability, so long as said assistance will not directly lead to the assured death and/or permanent maiming of the signee or Clyde Sullins.

Definitions:

Endeavors- A goal, mission, plan, experiment, or action, that's end desired result is a gain for the maker or leader of said endeavor. Said gain can be related to research or career. (career to include the below mentioned socially and politically)

Harm- Any permanent damage, diminishment, or undermining to a person, in terms of- the person (list to be expanded upon individually)physically, mentally, socially, politically, and/or monetarily.

> physically- Their body and person- bodily harm and/or maiming/death
> mentally- Their psyche or mentality, or mental well-being
> socially- Their social standing or growth
> politically- Their political standing or progression
> monetarily- Their possessions or property- to include damage, destruction, or theft.

Final Clause:

- The Signee will be released from the aforementioned Duty upon an agreement in writing and verbally agreed between both Clyde Sullins and the Signee, without duress and of each ones own free will, that said duty has ended.

- Clyde Sullins will facilitate five questions per year being answered, explained, taught about, or expanded upon, related to magic or a subsidiary topic. If this is not done, then the above mentioned release of Duty will occur. This includes for a given year questions or things taught prior to the signing of the oath. Also, if in a year just prior to the current one more questions were answered than the minimum required, up to two of the extra for a given year can count for the year following.

signed___________

With the grand oath completed in its making, all that would be left to do was for Xii to sign it. For that purpose Clyde would wet the fine quill one last time, loaded with the expensive ink, and hand it to Xii ready for her to sign.

Once she did, the oath would vanish, disappearing as if it had never existed and leaving no trace, signifying that it was now being enforced in a completely non flashy way, though perhaps startling in its suddenness and completeness.

After the oath was completed and vanished, Clyde would get up and exit the room without a word, entering his own, and returning after a chime or so within with a second staff in his hand. It was shorter than Cha, only just over 4 feet in height, and not of the same fancy color, but clearly a well made staff.

Clyde would hold out the staff for Xii to inspect, not implying that she was to take it, but not stopping her if she so chose to take it from him. Instead he'd give her some time to appraise it, and perhaps question him about it or why he'd brought it out.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Xii on June 2nd, 2015, 7:32 pm

This was interesting news. Clyde had made other Oaths previously. She didn't know if he'd told her that before or not. Xii couldn't help wondering what for, and who with. More apprentices ~or whatever she was supposed to be~ like herself? Or had they signed for other reasons?

Well, whoever or whatever had led up to this Oath, she was glad, like he had said, that the prior experience had helped Sullins write this one more easily. Apparently you could mess these things up. But if Sullins had had practice at this sort of thing before, and had learned from that practice, then that was better for this Oath, here and now. Mostly that meant that this one would probably work right, then. Plus it probably hadn't taken nearly as long to create; she tried to imagine what it would have been like if they'd had to come up with it from scratch. As much as she disliked admitting her weaknesses ~which it seemed she was doing quite a lot nowadays, considering how much better Sullins was at everything~ she didn't think she'd have been able to write something nearly as good as this. Not without actually learning real reading and writing. And even then.

Xii simply stood eagerly by the mage's side as he first made another copy of the draft, and then began writing the real Oath. He took his time, and she wanted to know if there was anything special about it, any magic that went into the writing... but really it just looked like he was trying to write clearly without making any mistakes. So where did the magic come in? Maybe it had to do with that pretty leafy stuff he'd doodled around the edges earlier. Try as she might, though, she could see no meaning in it. However, she thought she knew enough about the Ebonstryfe that he wouldn't have done that if there wasn't a reason.

Once he was done, he dipped the quill back in the ink ~fancy ink~ one last time, and handed it over. Xii leaned forward over the document, eyes searching for anything that might be one last trick... like if he decided to change the words at the last moment in the hope that she wouldn't notice. But she didn't see anything. Maybe he wasn't trying to trick her after all...

With a careful hand, remembering how cautious Sullins had been, Xii put the quill to the paper and marked the last line with her signature. It was hard to write, her hand was still extremely sore and puffy from earlier. But she made sure she did it right. She didn't want to ruin the whole thing.

As soon as she'd finished marking down her name, it was like the contract had never existed. The paper fell away into nothing, and Xii snatched her hand back in surprise before she could stop herself. She looked over at Sullins, perplexed, and then furrowed her brow, staring down at the now-empty desk. Hmm. So it truly was magic then, even though it had just been a bunch of writing.

Something like this had happened earlier, with the magic scrolls that Clyde had made. The one she'd used, the one that let her see into Rye, had burned away into nothing. Was this like that?

And did that mean that the contract was working, then? She didn't know. She didn't feel any different than before. Was she supposed to? "Did it work?" she asked aloud, turning again to look at Clyde, but he'd vanished. Gone. For a tick she thought that the contract had taken him with it, and she felt a lance of irritation and anxiety run through her. Had they done it wrong? If the Oath didn't take properly, did it take the writer with it then, and as what? A sacrifice? The girl shook her head. No. That was being silly. He must've... wandered off when she was looking down...?

There was the sound of movement, and Xii snapped her eyes over towards one of the doorways opening into the lab. Sullins appeared there, and she tried to keep the relief from her face. Then she didn't have to try; one emotion was replaced with the next, surprise and relief with rabid curiosity. He had another staff with him, two, not just Cha. Immediately she thought back. He had said he'd had another before, but she hadn't ever really expected to see it.

Sullins held it out, and Xii's eyes darted up to his face, trying to read his intentions. Carefully she raised her hands, as if to take it, watching him all the while. His expression didn't twist and he didn't show that he was angry at her for trying, so she gently took the staff ~not really like Cha, it didn't look the same~ and inspected it, dark eyes alight, though cautious.

It was shorter than Cha was, and not fancy-blue, just like a normal wood color. Questions popped to mind, but she was hesitant to ask. Would these questions count towards her five? Or no?

Finally she said, "Nice staff, but I still don't have 5,000 gm." Trying to hide her reluctance, she held it out like Sullins had before, seeing if he wanted to take it back. She couldn't help herself though, the questions were pinching under her skin like biting ants. "Is it like Cha?" Probably that wouldn't count, right? She was asking about the staff itself... but then again the staff was magic, was it not? So did that count as asking about magic? "Does it have a name? And um, is it like a girl, too? Like Cha is a she...?" She'd always found it strange that a magic stick might have a name and be called female, but what did she know? Maybe all staffs were like that.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 3rd, 2015, 3:39 am

Clyde had been slightly surprised when the oath vanished, vanished in that it ceased to exist so far as he could tell. With the other oaths they had done things more similar to expended glyphing. Crumbled to dust, burst into flames and burnt away, things such as that. He didn't let it affect his actions, but he did wonder as he headed to his room if it meant anything, if perhaps the fashion in which the oath vanished meant something.

More than likely not, but it was a possibility. He'd have to watch the next time he made an oath, and see what happened. Perhaps he would come to better understand the method of the oath itself. A bit of extra awareness and watching surely couldn't hurt anything...

Now that she had signed the oath, and it would not be changed, he could now trust her as he could not before. Such as by loaning her his staff... She couldn't steal it, couldn't destroy it, he'd made that certain by the oath. And since he couldn't use two at once, and she was to be his apprentice, it made sense to give her an added tool.

Where Cha was of Vian Wood, native of Mura, this staff was of Gnarled Juniper Wood, native of Sahova. It was a naturally gnarled and twisted wood, though still brown like normal wood.

It also wasn't as strongly enchanted as Cha. Cha had three steps of durability enhancement, along with the step to make it a Magic Staff, while this staff only had one added durability step. He'd yet to name it, though he'd not even used it yet. He'd simply made it, and kept it.

After Xii took the staff, and then offered it back, Clyde waved her off, not taking it back just yet.

When she did ask questions he smiled for a bit. Her mind tended to leap to certain assumptions, which with his understanding was a bit funny.

“Consider it a loan, for the time being, if you'd like to use it. If not, you don't have to, and can return it. And yes, it is like Cha, in that it is a Magic Staff, a conduit of magic for those who've learned to use it.”

“It doesn't have a name, I'd think a name would come in time, with understanding, and familiarity. As would a gender, assuming it has one. That'd depend on its user. I named Cha as she was mine, my tool, my ally, and Cha being a her just seemed... Right. So Cha became a she. A staff isn't inherently named or gendered anything.”

Clyde paused for a moment, before looking over at Cha and continuing.

“What all do you know of Magic Staffs, of how they work, or what they can do?”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Xii on June 14th, 2015, 7:02 pm

staff :
Is this staff in the picture too twisty to be a good representation of the staff that Clyde is loaning Xii? I like to have pictures of things because they help me visualize. Plus it's fun to have pictures!

"I want to use it," Xii said, maybe a little too quickly. She cursed her obviousness, knowing it would probably either amuse Sullins or annoy him, but she couldn't help it. She hadn't thought that something like this ~such an opportunity~ would come so fast. It was only a chime or two since she'd signed the Oath, but something had already happened. Sullins was willing to give her this staff to use already. That alone was nearly good enough to warrant the signing all by itself.

It was a thrill to think that she was holding something that was worth more than anything else she'd ever seen. She could see why Sullins chose to carry a staff at all times. Even besides the magical benefits ~of which she was still slightly unsure, and she still didn't really know what this staff in particular did~ there was a power that came to just holding one. It made the little Zithling feel important ~more important~ than she usually did. She had to stop herself from beaming.

The way he talked about the staff's name and gender made her think that it wasn't just something she herself chose, at least not right away. Likely the user of the staff would name it ~as she was its current user, that would fall to her~ but she would have to 'get to know' it first. She wondered if two people used the same staff, would it have two different names and possibly two different genders? Maybe. If each person put a little of themselves into the naming, it would make sense... though she couldn't imagine herself deciding that Cha, for instance, had different name. Not now that she already knew her name...

“What all do you know of Magic Staffs, of how they work, or what they can do?”

Not much. "I only know what you've told me before." She hadn't even known what a staff was until she'd seen that Clyde had one. Even then she'd just thought it was a special kind of stick, though she'd guessed that it was somehow important, because he wouldn't have carried it otherwise. "A magic staff is like a part of you." That part she still didn't really understand. How could a stick be a part of someone? But then again, she had heard it said before that a sword was like an extension of your arm. And a staff was sort of like a sword, though she knew the meaning was probably deeper than that. "You use it to help with your magic. It doesn't make you more powerful or stronger but just helps you... use what you already have, right? Like a focus? It's enchanted by powerful magics that are dangerous to learn and costs a whole bunch of money so there probably aren't very many people who use them, only mages. And you have to learn to use them, like you said. You can't just pick it up and expect to know everything just because you hold it in your hand." Here she looked down wistfully. If only it was that easy...

"Did you ever use this staff before? Has anybody used it, or just me?" She asked because she wondered if anyone knew its secrets, it's full capabilities, or if she would be the first one to find out. Experimentally, the Zithling tapped it on the ground like Clyde sometimes did with Cha. She was already liking the feel of it, though she wondered if she should hold it in her left hand ~her dominant one~ or her right.

This staff was actually a pretty good size for her. Anything too much bigger and it would be unwieldy, considering how small she was. "Would it be stupid to hit someone with it...? Would that damage the enchantments?" Not that she particularly planned on hitting anyone, but if someone ever attacked her and they were close enough it might come in handy to whack them over the head. But only if it didn't hurt the staff. She didn't want to risk ruining the magic.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 14th, 2015, 9:09 pm

OOC: Considering the wood it came from, wood from the tree at the bottom of this lore, I'd imagine it isn't too twisty. If anything it might not be twisted enough. :D

Also just for reference, here is the post where I got it officially, which has some added info on it- here. Clyde is currently unaware of its particular special property. Have fun rping that... ;)

IC:

Clyde smiled at Xii's response, as if she was worried if she didn't say yes quickly enough he'd change his mind and take it back.

Of course he couldn't blame her. When someone offered to lend you such a item, one that was powerfully magical and would take a year of wages from most workers, it made sense that you'd leap at the chance.

But still, considering Xii's usual tone and nature it was a bit funny.

For now he didn't mention all of the facts about the staff... Like how he'd used nuit ichor in it to make it anti-nuit. If they headed to Sahova he'd make sure to tell her about said feature before they arrived.

Though if her eyes had popped at hearing the cost of this staff, he could only imagine what she'd say if he told her of Cha's value, since it was worth roughly three times this lower staffs cost.

Her second response, asking what she knew of Magic Staff's, was more or less what he'd expected. But seeing as he didn't fully recall what he'd said, he was glad when she went into detail about what he'd said and explained. He tended to give out so much info in his lessons he invariably forget what he specifically mentioned.

“Close, I believe I said... A Magic Staff is an extension of yourself. If you'd like think if it as an extension of your arm, an extra long bit that you can swing around and smack people with, if nothing else.”

“Since its been crafted, no one has used this staff. I made it seasons ago back on Sahova, but since I had Cha I didn't need it. It was intended for another but... She left without it, so it stayed my property.”

Clyde for a second, recalling Annalisa who had aided him in Magecrafting the staff, at least during the one step that required a second personal magic user. She hadn't helped much besides that one part.

“Any who... Yes, before you can properly use a staff you must learn of it. It takes time. Cha here took me nearly a year from when we began to work together. Since this staff is of a lower level I'd think mastering it wouldn't take as long, but it'd still be awhile.”

“Once you learn to tame the staff, the first step, you'll be able to learn how to use a given magic through it. Once you do that, you'll be able to use the magic upon the staff in the case of some, and through the staff with others. For instance with morphing, you'd be able to morph the staff like it was a part of you, like I did with Cha... With your hypnotism... Well I'm not totally sure what it'd allow, but I'm sure it would allow this staff to be a conduit of sorts for the use of the magic.”

“As for fighting with the staff... That is perfectly fine, so long as the staff isn't damaged. The enchantment is laid upon the staff itself, so if it were say broken, it would be of little to no use. Yours only has a minor enhancement to its durability, so it'll be more durable than a normal staff of its type, but not nearly as sturdy as mine. So you can smack people as you please, just be careful not to damage the staff in so doing.”

“Cha here could likely cross with a sword and come away without a scratch... Yours is better than a mundane instance, but only just. Though be glad it has a step of durability enhancement, I've heard some staff don't have any such enhancement, and are only improved by adding the staff step. Yours at least has a single step, so should be able to handle more than such a base Magic Staff.”

“Any who, the reason a Magic Staff is as it is, an extension of yourself, is because by the materials used in its creation, and its base materials, it is in use a living thing. That is why it is able to carry and use magic just as a mage might. That is also why it is made of wood, a once living thing. Since it was once alive, it is possible with the right steps to make it act as such again, and to carry and flow magic and djed through it like a living person. It is literally an extension of your living and breathing and magic using self. Plus, once you learn to use it a bit better, it has some other more interesting abilities.”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Xii on June 14th, 2015, 10:36 pm

She found she was pleased that the staff hadn't been used by anyone else, though she knew it probably didn't make a difference at all. Still. This was a power she would have that no one else had had before. She wasn't even disappointed that it would take so long to learn how to master it, even though that would have made things a lot easier. Somehow, it was nice to know that not just anybody could pick it up and figure it out. It took effort. It took time.

It would be odd, though. Working for so long towards something. She had worked to get to Ravok, but that was just travel and putting up with a bunch of idiots. This was different. She wondered if she might test the staff how she sometimes tested people's patience. See what it might handle and what it wouldn't forgive.

The girl liked that Sullins didn't blink an eye when she asked whether or not she would be able to hit people. She heeded his warning, though, about the staff's durability. "Can a staff that is already made be... added to? Like, made better?" If only she could figure out how to do the magic that made staffs... she could add more durability... make the staff stronger. Maybe add stuff that let it do other things. Magic things.

The part about why they could use staffs ~how it had once been living~ made Xii wish her hand didn't hurt so much so she could write it down. She liked writing things; with Sullins' lessons from before she'd written what she could and studied it again later, trying to memorize every little detail. But she didn't think she'd be able to hold the charcoal today for long, even if she wanted to. Even twitching her fingers caused her hand to throb painfully, all the way up to her wrist.

Instead she focused hard on the words, trying to lay them directly into her mind. "So you could make a staff out of other stuff that had once been alive? Like, I don't know, bone?" A bone staff appealed to her more than a wooden one. Though she didn't know if bone would be as strong... but if they added durability to it, like with these staffs, then why couldn't it be?

The child's ears practically perked up when he said the words, "interesting abilities" and he'd probably already predicted what she'd next ask. "Does this staff have special abilities? What do you mean? And can they all do the same stuff, or is each one different?" She guessed, maybe, that each was different... especially considering that they looked different, were made of different stuff, different wood. That would change how they worked, right? Like how some rocks were crumblier than others, or how some kinds of knives were better for cutting. Plus, if there were a lot of kinds of enchantments, then maybe each one could do other stuff?

She wanted to get working on this right now. She wanted to learn about these 'interesting abilities'. Something he'd said before came to mind. "Um. And how do you 'tame' a staff? What do you mean by that?" He'd said that was the first step, right? Taming it? She couldn't imagine how you could tame something that didn't move and didn't think. It wasn't like a wild horse, or any kind of animal. But if Clyde said that she had to tame it, she actually believed him. He knew too much about magic to be wrong ~a good thing in a teacher~ and she doubted he was playing a prank on her, since he took magic so seriously.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 14th, 2015, 11:53 pm

Clyde shook his head and sighed at Xii's first question. Once more showing her lack of knowledge of the more refined and artful magics common of a World Mage. While Personal Mage was mainly instinctual, World Magic was about understanding and precision.

So his answer was initially rather simple and straightforward. Though inevitably after the initial answer he delved into a more specific and wordy explanation.

“No. And don't try, that's one of the surest ways to mess up a enchantment, and likely blow yourself up in the process.”

“A Magic Staff is a work of Magecrafting. And once an enchantment is done, nothing can be added to it, no new enchantments can be laid upon it, nor can the old ones be changed or increased. That magic doesn't mix well with others, even itself, and its not a good idea to try.”

The next question showed she was perhaps if nothing else thinking on what he said, and listening. A logical enough thought process. Clyde nodded as he answered.

“Yes, anything alive and with substance, that doesn't rot away or change. You want something stable. Bones would work, but where would you find a single bone large enough to carve a staff out of it? That'd be the issue there.”

After that single showing of thought, she quickly enough delved into her normal obvious questions. He almost let out a sigh at her predictable question. He could have answered it before, and he likely would have in time if she didn't ask, but he could only talk so much at once without it devolving into a full lecture. And he doubted Xii would sit still long enough to let him do such a thing.

“I don't know Xii, I just told you no ones used it yet! How should I know what all it can do? Some things, or so I'd think, all staffs can do, but some staffs I'd think have special properties or abilities that are unique to them. Focus on the first step before getting carried away with wondering on what else the staff can do.”

“As for taming it... I've no idea. The way I did it... Well I examined it with Auristics for awhile, held it, familiarized myself with it... Came to understand it. Kept it with me. Then after awhile I attempted to feel its djed, to flow magic through it. And eventually, it worked, the magic flowed through it and the staff opened itself to me, at least a little. I suppose how you tame it is to a degree up to you. The main thing is coming to understand it, and learning how to channel your djed and magic through it.”

“Though after all the magic we did today, I don't think anymore would be a good idea. For now just try to get familiar with it, and when you are recovered try to do the rest. But this has been a long day. A lot of magic. Perhaps if there is time, I can help you with another Auristics scroll, so you can examine the staff. If I've time. But not today.”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

PreviousNext