Solo Audition

Sayana tries to get a job at the Herald’s Arms.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Audition

Postby Sayana on June 5th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Summer 32, 515 AV – Herald’s Arms

Sayana paced outside the Herald’s Arms tavern. She knew what she wanted, she knew she had the talent to get it, but why was she so nervous? She took a deep breath and cleared her thoughts. What would be, would be. She opened the door and strode into the tavern. Her walk was slower than usual, purposeful, alluring. She glanced over her shoulder and gazed with a coy smile at one of the patrons. At first it seemed that he wasn’t sure if she was looking at him or someone else. With a soft sigh, she nodded and beckoned him with a finger. As he approached, the Eypharian asked, “So who runs this place? I’d like to have a talk and offer some potential services.”

The man seemed a little nervous about the extra attention and looked around hurriedly to find the man he knew was in charge. She gave him a wink and trailed her high hand down his arm to take his hand. “Mind if you lead me to him?” She asked in an innocent tone but her body language conveyed anything but. He was a timid but he obliged and led her man, apparently named Nathan Louger, or so he said.

“Good evening, Nathan Louger,” the Eypharian spoke after blowing a kiss to the man who had helped her and releasing his hand. The owner seemed to be in the midst of a conversation at the bar with one of his staff members. He turned around slowly and gazed up and down her features. She had taken the time to do up her face with bright red on her lips and various face pastes to decorate her eyes and cheeks. Her red beaded top was plenty revealing and her long skirt had its usual slit down one side. Nathan’s eyes lingered on both her array of daggers at her hip and her exposed and slightly bulging stomach.

“So what brings the dancer of the Rearing Stallion here?” He asked curiously. “So you’ve heard of me?” Sayana asked brightly before restraining her surprise to assume a more controlled presence. She leaned over to rest a couple arms on the bar. “I’m looking for higher end work,” she spoke slowly and graced a hand over the tender skin near her collarbone. “Somewhere that my talents can be better appreciated.”

Nathan looked rather pointedly at her stomach. “When’s it due?” “Does it matter? I can still bring in customers.” Sayana replied haughtily. “When’s it due?” Nathan repeated not seeming to care about her protests. The Eypharian pursed her lips but then relented. “My son is due midwinter. But I can dance all throughout Fall and I can teach some of your current staff to be more effective.” He raised an eyebrow curiously at her second point. He hadn’t really considered the quality of his staff. They worked, they brought in customers, and they got paid. “No, I think we have all the staff we need,” he answered firmly since despite the benefits she had, she was still going to be a burden. A pregnant burden.

“Let me audition at the very least,” Sayana countered hoping that she might at least persuade him to give her a chance. “Pick a time, a place, and I’ll be ready. I’ll show you what I can do and show you why I’m worth the effort.” The owner sighed and pondered the idea for a chime. It wasn’t like he had much to lose except the time spent watching her. “Alright. Sometime over the next couple of days I’ll drop by at the Rearing Stallion. I’ll expect the best from you.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Audition

Postby Sayana on June 5th, 2015, 4:11 pm

‘Sometime over the next couple of days’… What was that supposed to mean? Was she expected to put on her best performance for the entirety of several days? Did that include tonight? As Sayana left the Herald’s Arms she felt even more nervous than she had going in. Somehow she was going to have to prove that despite being pregnant she could still draw in a worthwhile crowd. Not to mention she was still making final plans for her wedding and wouldn’t have as much time to practice during the day. She touched up her lips with red and smacked them together feeling suddenly quite conscious about her looks. At least her outfit was always charming and she had both her beautiful necklaces and her copper armbands to adorn her wrists.

Tonight. Yes, he probably included tonight even though it was unlikely. Still, no better time to do a dress rehearsal for her audition. She entered the Rearing Stallion later than usual, since she had been at its competition only moments ago, and gathered her props and instruments. She took her finger cymbals and also her tambourine. She’d probably just make a fool of herself with her shakers too and frankly she hardly used them anyways. And then there was the beautiful silk veil. Yes, she would take that too. If she wanted to do her best, then she ought to prepare a choreography, like the one she did to symbolize the Sunset Falls. And yet, she’d have to rely entirely on her own instruments which weren’t yet her strong suit. Maybe if she managed to plan a song ahead of time with a musician… but Nathan might pop in at any time. Sayana gritted her teeth in frustration at the predicament. He wanted to see her in action just the way she was.

She started out on the dais with her silken cloth. As the music started she spun about with the veil raised high and her torso bending in circles to swirl it around her. The music picked up and she was forced to think quickly as her feet danced lightly upon the floor but with bland uninteresting movements. She had always been able to make do with improvisation in the past but now she needed each tick to be stunning. Her body was still for a moment and then she flared her arm up dramatically, spinning, twisting and creating vibrant lines of energy. Even while pregnant, or especially while pregnant she could feel her core muscles in her abdomen working to maintain her poses and allow for body rolls and sharp planned accents with her stomach. While her dancing might be visually appealing with its flowing gestures, it lacked the substance and emotional appeal of a true performance.

At the end of the song she was a little disheartened but then a brilliant plan came to her. Even though she didn’t know when Nathan might appear in the next couple of days, it didn’t mean she couldn’t arrange some sort of cue or signal to let the musician know what the next few songs would be. In the next short break, she approached the bard with a preposition. “Would you by chance be performing here for the next couple of days?” Sayana asked with feigned casualness. “Perhaps, I come when I’m needed but sometimes I simply play on the streets during the day and have an early night. Why?” The bard replied with cautious interest. “See, I’m trying to secure a job but I need to prove my worth. I can perform much better when I know the song or have at least heard it before. Would you be able to play a set of four or five songs that I could learn now and then call upon you at a moment’s notice when my future employer shows?” Sayana asked. “What do I get in return?” The musician replied skeptically. The Eypharian paused a moment and then a smile crept to her face. “What if I put in a good word with Ser Kevith and suggest you deserve a few more coins than you’re earning?” “Deal.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Audition

Postby Sayana on June 5th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Summer 35, 515 AV – Rearing Stallion

The next few days had been painstaking. Sayana had watched the audience intently during each of her performances and not once was there any sign of Nathan, the owner of the Herald’s Arms. He’s testing me. Surely he hasn’t simply forgotten. As promised, the bard played a certain set of music once or twice in the evening and was always ready to start it over should Nathan appear. It gave Sayana a chance to practice and perfect her moves to that music and she was also able to convince the bard to do a variety of tempos and styles so she could display her own range of dance ability.

No one on the second day. No one on the third. She was starting to wonder if this Nathan guy was even planning to keep his word. It was already starting to get late in the night when she suddenly spotted him wander in and beckon a barmaid over to get a drink. Her heart skipped a beat and she fumbled with her finger cymbals before regaining her grace. She gave a quick nod in the direction of the bard and with new determination she finished up the song she was in the middle of, and concluded it with a striking pose.

“The night is young but the dancer’s bold!” Sayana called out as a code phrase to the musician in case he hadn’t gotten the earlier hint. “Let me hear something lively!”

The bard struck his fiddle with a vibrant tune and Sayana held up her tambourine to hit it on the beat and induce a steady clap from the audience. Always start with energy… and this was her attention grabber. Her steps were confident and sound and her smile bright. Her presence commanded the attention of the room as she skipped and strutted about the dais. Her arms made large gestures as they circled and intertwined, but they were always still at a moment’s notice should she want to emphasize her chest, hips or stomach. She continued to beat the tambourine steadily while dancing though occasionally embedded more interesting rhythms when she was sure her audience wouldn’t get lost with clapping on the beat. The song ended abruptly, but she had heard it several times now and she nailed the ending with a flourish and a bow.

The next song was slow and sultry with an exotic hint to it. With a toss of her hair and a piercing gaze she began her slower and more sensual movements. She gave a sly roll of her shoulder with the movement flowing along her arm. Her body twisting and swaying gently to the melody. There was a pop pop pop of her chest that fit the three accented notes of the flute and a lick of her lips. She stepped down from the dais and slowly made her way to the closest tables. She traced a light hand down her thigh and lifted her skirt teasingly while brushing her other hands up along her sides crossing her exposed stomach. There was another musical rhythm that she recognized and she emphasized it with a tightly controlled stomach roll broken down into several sections. Her stomach was going to burn after all of these finely controlled movements, but she didn’t care as long as she got the job. She moved on to another table and showed off the twisting of her hips while giving her finger a lick and tracing it down her neck towards her bosom. If nothing else, at least she won the appreciation of her customers by the time she finished the song with a pose.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Audition

Postby Sayana on June 5th, 2015, 4:16 pm

For the next song, Sayana had specifically asked the bard to play background music rather than something unique and catchy. She also requested it to be a little quieter so she could make the next dance about a story and show off her other skills. Even though she wasn’t as good at these dances she thought they were more memorable and wanted to prove her worth to Nathan.

It started off slow and she stealthily moved about the stage peering this way and that. “This next dance starts with a Dhani.” She made a series of quick steps with a spin and landed in a poised position. “He was known as the White Dhani because his skin was pale as bone.” She took another leap and lunged deep to the ground. That’s when she drew two of her small daggers. “He liked to cause havoc, even spread poison, but mostly spread lies.” She paused in her low stance and gave her blade a slow lick. Then she was moving again. A spin, a couple of quick slashes and once more quite still. Her high and low arms emphasized the stall in movement by making slow grand gestures the moment she froze.

“Now this White Dhani, some believed he was a ghost. But there were three Eypharian sisters who knew better. They knew these weren’t random attacks and they knew the lies and slander were no mere rumors.” Sayana sheathed the daggers and put on a tall elegant appearance. “The first was tall and beautiful with all the grace in the world.” Sayana mimed her description by emphasizing her flowing arms and giving a beautiful spin here and curving her body gracefully with the movement. “The second was successful and wealthy. She had always been diligent and worked harder than the rest.” The dancer simply put her hands firmly on her hips as a sign of dominance and success. “And the third seemed to care for neither qualities yet was clever and cunning.” She twisted her arms in all manner of ways and looked slyly from side to side. “Together the decided they would seduce this Dhani one way or another and convince him to stop terrorizing the city.” The music darkened with the mood and Sayana was glad she had managed to coordinate so much with the bard.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Audition

Postby Sayana on June 5th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Sayana carried on once more assuming the guise of the regal eldest sister. “The first sister approached him in a beautiful gown and littered with jewelry on each of her six arms. ‘Come with me and I’ll show you how to have a good time,’ she said. The city isn’t worth your time when you could have me.” The music played softly in the background and Sayana almost forgot to carry on with her dance since she was so wrapped up in telling her story as convincingly as possible.

“The Dhani replied, ‘There are fairer gems than you.’ And with that he walked away to cause more chaos in the night. It was time for the second sister to persuade him and she brought dozens of precious jewels and other finery. But again she was denied.” Sayana mimed walking away in disappointment and shame to imitate the rejected sister.

“Lastly, the third sister approached him. ‘My eldest sister may be pretty but I know something she doesn’t. I have tried bondage and I think you might like it a little rougher and wilder. As for my other sister, her gems are mere pebbles. I know where to find stones bigger than you can imagine. Meet me by the sea at the docks when Syna is about to set.’ The Dhani was intrigued by this third Eypharian and agreed to the place and time.”

Sayana mimed Syna setting in the sky by creating a circle with her arms that slowly descended. Then she tiptoed to the very edge of the dais. “The third sister told him to close his eyes as she blindfolded him and then to hold out his arms as she wrapped thick rope about his wrists. When he asked about the gems she hushed him and simply got out a very large rock for him to hold in his hands. It didn’t take her long to fix strong ropes about the rock and his wrists. At last she spoke, ‘Think of me as the waves of pleasure roll over you and you find yourself completely and utterly out of breath.’ With that she pushed him into the sea. Thus was the downfall of the White Dhani.”

Her arms rippled forwards in a falling motion which additionally served as a bow to conclude her song. After waiting for the applause she announced it was time for her to take a break and she weaved through the tavern easily to find Nathan Louger, owner of the Herald’s Arms.

“So what did you think?” She asked eagerly. “Too much of it seemed staged and you don’t quite have the appeal of a true seductress,” he answered with a disdainful tone. “Besides, that story? It was fine for this sort of audience but my customers aren’t interested in that sort of thing.” Sayana pursed her lips at his arrogance.

Sayana turned as if to go but then looked over her shoulder and said, “You know, the other day I met Mrs. Louger and I might have hinted to her that you’ve been sleeping with some of the… pleasure givers upstairs.” He looked mildly surprised but quickly regained his composure. “So? She knows.” “Just how much does she know?” Sayana asked and a light smile formed on her face as she watched him squirm. “I could always confirm to her that I had made some mistake…” “Alright, you’ve got the job. But you start on the first of Fall.”

Sometimes the best lies were just well thought out stories.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Audition

Postby Nivel on August 3rd, 2015, 5:58 am

Sayana :
XP Award:
  • Meditation 1
  • Rhetoric 1
  • Intelligence 1
  • Persuasion 3
  • Negotiation 1
  • Flirting 1
  • seduction 2
  • Cosmetology 2
  • Planning 2
  • Dance 2
  • Dancing Prop: Silk Fabric 1
  • bodybuilding 1
  • Choreography 2
  • Endurance 2
  • Leadership 1
  • Instrument: Tamborine 1
  • StoryTelling 2
  • Weapon: Dagger 1
  • Acting 2
  • Stealth 1
  • Philosophy 1
  • Subterfuge 1
Lore:
  • Nathan Louger: Runs the Herald Arms
  • Planning under pressure
  • Striking a deal with a local bard
  • The story of the white Dhani
  • Sometimes the best lies are just well thought out stories
  • Blackmailing your way to the top
Notes:Nice thread I really liked the end, loved the story about the albino Dhani and totally didn’t expect the black mail at the end. Sayana really knows how to get stuff done.

Additional Comments: If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)