Solo Planning Planning and a Lot of Walking

Sayana makes plans for her wedding

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Planning Planning and a Lot of Walking

Postby Sayana on June 6th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Summer 5, 515 AV

It was going to happen. And she needed to make it happen. Sayana looked at the three rings upon her fingers. Each on a different hand, high mid mid. “Aren, I’ll be out making plans. See who might be able to help out. Midsummer for the wedding, yes?” Sayana smiled at his groggy form. Even though he was a brilliant fighter she doubted he had the desire or skill to plan something like a wedding, and to be honest, she was rather thrilled to take charge of it all. “I’ll see you around,” she called as she headed out the door dressed beautifully in her usual red with her set of daggers in her belt.

Her first destination was the Rearing Stallion and she walked there hardly needing to think of which way she was going. Such was how common her route was between her home and the tavern. “Remi!” Sayana called as she beamed at the cook and blew her a kiss. “What brings you around so bright and early?” The cook asked curiously. “Well, you see, I have a favor to ask of you. A big favor actually.” Sayana began in a rather confident tone. “I’m getting married and I’d like it if you could cater for my guests. If Orin was still here, I probably would have asked him. But as you know, he’s left. Gone now.” “And how many guests?” “Maybe ten to twenty? No more than twenty-five.”

The head cook was deep in thought for a moment as she mentally tallied up the costs. “Oh oh, I’ll be paying you of course,” Sayana added having completely forgotten to mention it earlier as if it was assumed. “Twenty-five… maybe thirty gold mizas?” Remi’s face brightened as she realized it would certainly cover the costs. “And you’ll help set it up and take it down, and serve? I’ll be so busy that I can’t imagine doing all that.” Sayana pressed and the cook nodded. “Yes, I can book the day aside for you to do all that,” Remi answered. The dancer rushed into a hug that startled the cook and she somewhat tentatively patted Sayana’s back before Sayana finally released her. “Thank you, thank you.” “And what day?” Remi asked for it would take a certain amount of planning on the cook’s behalf to prepare for such an event. The Eypharian thought for a moment and replied, “Midsummer. I think the 55th would do very well.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Sayana on June 6th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Food done. Now the place. Where in the world was she even going to have this wedding? Even as Sayana left the Rearing Stallion she bit her lip unsure of what space would be big enough. Certainly not her own home. The taverns were… alright but not really suitable for a wedding ceremony. Wasn’t there some garden to the north of the city? The Eypharian slowly made her way up through the streets towards the harbor but then making a right instead of a left. She asked a couple of people for directions along the way but it was pretty easy to find. Just past Kova’s Well towards the north wall.

As the Eypharian stepped into the Stone Gardens, it was quite beautiful with all its greenery and peacefulness. And yet, it lacked something. It took her a moment to think of what it was but frankly it lacked the grandness she wanted for her wedding. Of course, why didn’t she think of it earlier? The Syliran Theatre. Now there was some nice open space with the grandness she was looking for. She practically bolted down the streets towards the courtyard which was the theatre, with one pair of hands on her stomach and the others half outwards for balance. Dashing down the steps that entered into the courtyard Sayana stopped a moment to catch her breath.

Yes, this was it. Outside to see Syna’s beautiful rays. Partially covered arches in case they needed shade or should it rain. And certainly grand. She gave a spin on the spot and opened her arms out wide to admire the towering walls around her. Hopefully the construction projects that seemed to be starting up would leave this area alone. But when at last she got her head out of the clouds, she realized that there were buskers that performed here regularly and were even here now.

Then a thought came to her and with a sly grin she approached the two jesters doing a comedic act with various acrobatics. “Hello there,” she spoke coyly as she beckoned one of them with a finger. As one of them departed from the act she continued, “You don’t suppose I could rent out the courtyard area here for an afternoon, could I?” “No, m’lady. This area is run by the knighthood and for buskers only. Besides it wouldn’t be up to me to decide such a thing.” Came the firm if apologetic reply. “You sure? Not even for a wedding in which I’d gladly ask you buskers to attend?” The man in the brightly coloured hat was stumped for a moment since it sounded like a great deal of fun.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on June 6th, 2015, 4:51 pm

“You’d be welcome to enjoy the food. There’d be a brilliant performance opportunity.” Sayana pressed steadily as she highlighted all the benefits of her wedding. “And I plan to have it on the 55th when it is high summer.” “What about any sort of pay?” The jester asked. “There are our own mouths to feed and then there are also our family’s mouths.” It seemed like her original offer wasn’t quite enough so she’d up the anti for both of them. “How about I give you fifty gold mizas to split amongst all of you if you also agree to help set up tables, chairs, flowers, and all that. Plus, perform for the reception or whenever I need you most.”

Again the jester considered the offer carefully. There were probably about three to five regular buskers at the theatre and splitting fifty mizas five ways still resulted in a good day’s work. “You got yourself a deal lady. And I’m sure the others will be more than willing.” He finally replied with a shake of hands.

“One last thing. Where could I buy flowers?” Sayana asked before leaving. “Down by the Nettle District is Atta’s shop. Beautiful display. Can’t miss it.” The jester answered and Sayana brightly headed off down the narrow streets. The only problem was, it was on the far side of the city. Still, she was making good progress today and after going through the winding streets along the Maiden District she finally reached the Nettle District by the main gates. He was quite right, it was a beautiful display. It didn’t take long to spot it and soon she was chatting with the woman who owned it, Atta.

“So I’m going to have a wedding--” “A wedding?” Atta interrupted curiously. “To whom are you getting married?” “His name is Aren,” Sayana replied. “Tall Akalak warrior. Big heart.” She smiled as she said this and remembered just how much all this meant to her. “How much for flowers? Twenty-five gold mizas?” The old woman thought about it and eventually nodded. “For you and for a wedding, yes. I’ll make it beautiful with lots of flowers for that.”

That went easier than Sayana expected. It seemed like Atta was less concerned about the mizas and more about the purpose of the flowers she was selling. Next on her list was… a wedding dress. Which was all the way back up by the harbor at An Elegant Weave. If nothing else, she was getting a workout walking up and down the streets of Syliras.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on June 6th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Just for a change in scenery, Sayana decided to go the indoor route to the harbor. She was able to get all the way through the winding corridors of the Maiden District before having to step out into the streets to go along the Bittern District and into Winthrop Alley. Nearly at the end was the beautiful fabric shop and she stepped in cheerily. “I’m looking to have a wedding dress made for me,” Sayana spoke up as she saw the shopkeeper. “I’m thinking red, satin, maybe some lace. Something that’ll really fit my figure and won’t restrict my arms.” “Are you sure no white?” Navia replied. “Not even red and white?” The Eypharian considered it a moment. Perhaps the combination would look good. “If you think so, I’ll trust your judgement,” Sayana conceded since she really did believe Navia could do a good job since she had in the past. “Oh, and I don’t have enough clothes and I’ll need some for when I become more pregnant. Dresses, red and black. I’d like a corset for after I have him. Some nice undergarments, stockings, shoes fit for dancing…”

Her list seemed to go on and on but the seamstress patiently listened and began making numerous measurements on the Eypharian. They agreed for Sayana to come back at a later date to try on the wedding dress and to pick up and pay for all the other garments she wanted made. After a good half bell or even a full bell, Sayana finally left the shop feeling confident in her future wardrobe.

Next was a gift for Aren. It had taken her a while to come up with the idea but she felt quite confident in it now. As it was traditional for the bride and groom to exchange gifts, Sayana decided to get him some armour for his arms. She heard they could be quite expensive and when she arrived at the Ironworks she was shocked at the price. “Fifty gold mizas each for steel ones?” “Yes, that’s what I sell my vambraces for,” the armourer stated clearly. “And what if I wanted some decorative etching in it?” “That would be extra.”

Sayana pondered the situation. “Do you know what size Aren would be? He was the tall blue akalak who came in late spring to buy some bronze pieces.” It took the armourer a moment but eventually he nodded. “I could make something suitable.” “Well, you see, this is a wedding gift and I want it to be special, hence the etchings. Though I do have some other gifts in mind… And you know, I am buying two of them and giving you lots of time to make them.” She was being a little weasily with her words but she really did want the vambraces and etched. And one hundred gold mizas was plenty for a gift. “You sure you wouldn’t take one hundred for both and etched?”

The smith gave a sigh but eventually relented. “It might not be as fancy as if you had paid for it, but I’ll come up with something.” “Thank you!” Sayana replied exuberantly and she instinctively reached out to hug the man. The smith awkwardly stood there until she released him but there was a faint smile on his lips by the time she left.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on June 6th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Lastly, she was headed to Qayala’s Quill to get a notice written up as well as invitations. Even though she’d have the buskers to perform at the wedding, she wanted plenty of music and entertainment if she could. Going all the way back down over to the Bazaar Sayana realized that had she better planned things she wouldn’t be doing so much trooping back and forth around the city. At least she was starting to know the streets inside and out.

As she arrived at the small copying stall she gestured to the shopkeeper to get his attention. “I’d like a notice written up and several invitations. And maybe our wedding vows.” The first was pretty straightforward, a request for musicians. She decided that she’d offer ten gold mizas for those who were only beginner performers and twenty-five for those well-versed. Last time no one showed up at her party to perform and hopefully she’d get more luck this way. The invitations were fairly easy too. She had a date, a place, and she set the time for the afternoon. Guests didn’t need to bring gifts and she stated it clearly in the invitation. The hardest part was the guest list but eventually she managed to come up with all the names. She also asked the scribe to write a few blank ones in case Aren had friends he wanted to invite.

Lastly the vows. These were tricky. It was still overwhelming for her to think she might only ever be with one person for the rest of her life. She did not doubt her love for Aren in the slightest and she could imagine loving him for the rest of her days but to lose that freedom that she had always so relished in? “I will love and cherish you till the end of my days,” she began slowly. “I will protect you and your heart, and tend to you when you are weak. And I will honor you above all others.” That seemed about right. “I will nurture and protect all the children we have and bind my soul to yours.”

Yes. That sounded appropriate and she felt she could uphold every word. She thanked the scribe and paid the two gold mizas for the ten to twenty pages copied and went to put up the notice on the bulletin.

Receipt :
Food for wedding: 30gm
Rental space: 50gm
Flowers: 25gm
Wedding dress: priced and paid for in another thread
Vambraces: 100gm
Copying services: 2gm

Total: 207gm

Note: These prices are based on approximate prices from the masterlist and take into account that Sayana has novice negotiation (and approaching competent)
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on August 4th, 2015, 12:43 am

Sayana :
XP Award:
  • Rhetoric 4
  • Negotiation 5
  • Planning 5
  • Intelligence 2
  • Running 1
  • Endurance 1
  • Flirting 1
  • Persuasion 2
  • Appraisal 1
Lore:
  • Planning: Arranging Catering for a wedding
  • Planning: finding the perfect location.
  • Planning:Weddings need to be grand
  • Planning: figuring out a fair price
  • Planning: Invitations
  • Planning: Getting the perfect wedding gift for Aren
  • Atta: The kind old flower shop owner
  • Making wedding vows.
Notes:Good job on making all the interactions with shop owners and buskers sound realistic. It was basically a shopping thread but still pretty fun :P

Additional Comments: If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)