PM to join The Story of Roan Winterstorm

The Watch patrol the north for dangers across the Sea of Grass

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Story of Roan Winterstorm

Postby Dravite on June 6th, 2015, 11:21 pm

5 Summer, 515 AV
Morning, 10th Bell
The Watch Tent

"You're late," Aris scolded, hands set on his hips, scruffy, sandy blond hair slicked back off his face.
"I know," Dravite said, using the blunt end of his spear against the grass to walk forward and slowly take a seat with the others.

He sucked in a sharp, shallow breath of air and held in an unpleasant groan. He was still sore; it seemed he would be for a while yet. Sitting wasn't the most comfortable position with a broken rib, but he would try not to complain and explain everything to Aris later.

"Where is your friend, Windborne?"
"Belhatir, sir?"
"Yes the lanky fellow with the missing tooth."
"He left for the city at the end of the season and I haven't heard from him since," Dravite explained.
"Well it's still early days, I'm sure you will."

Dravite smiled a subtle smile at Aris' words, it seemed to be the man's way of saying, ‘don't worry, I'm sure he'll be okay,’ without actually saying it. "I suppose we can get started then, though we are down a few recruits."
"Sir?" One of the women piped up.
Aris looked at her and seemed far away. "We had a few that didn't survive the journey it would seem and I've had two others resign from their duties this morning without wage." He looked at Dravite, "I hope you aren't going to tell me something similar."
"Here for the long run," Dravite smiled and it looked as if Aris believed him.
"We'll talk," he mouthed to the man before taking up his seat.

Everyone waited silently as Aris gathered his thoughts, sitting with his elbow set on the arm of the wooden chair, his fist closed against his jaw. Outside Dravite could hear the hum of the busy marketplace and children playing. He thought about his son and how he had left his family this morning after Belkaia had spent the better part of the night trying to convince him to rest today rather than show up for work.

"As you know," Aris began, "We were attacked late last spring by a lone Zith. We were fortunate that day not to lose any of you."

The small gathering of members nodded and seemed to mumble and whisper to one another, while those who had been a part of the group that had been attacked that day remained silent, Dravite included. He feared what Aris would say next, hoping there had been no more sightings of the strange, winged creature.

"We found a lone traveller in the tall grass that day, a woman who seemed to have been feasted upon by the creature."

Some of the women gasped and the men screwed up their faces. Dravite had not seen the woman with his own eyes but had heard how gruesome the sight had been from Belhatir himself. "Do you think the creature killed her?" Dravite asked.
"Initially I believed that to be the case but upon further investigation, using the help of the webbing, we managed to trace her movements up into the swamplands north of our territory."
"Do you think she was someone important?" A woman sat beside Dravite asked.
"No one had come looking for her or sent any word from the city of Kenash, but she was wearing some jewellery that seemed to suggest she was highborn."
Last edited by Dravite on June 9th, 2015, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Dravite on June 6th, 2015, 11:35 pm

"I know what your next question is," Aris spoke up, "What is a highborn woman doing alone in the Sea of Grass? The answer is we don't know, but it might be in our best interests to try and find out."
"What is a Zith?" One of the newer recruits asked. He had signed up two days ago and was only now discovering what he was getting himself into.

Aris rubbed his temple; he was losing his patience with the younger ones. Dravite was quick to notice and took the chance to step up as Aris often encouraged leadership within the group. "A Zith is a winged man or woman. The one we came across was weak and dying, he tried to attack me while my back was turned."
The young man turned his head to look at Dravite and asked, "And if he wasn't so weak?"
"Are you asking if they are strong?"
The man shrugged, "I guess that answers my question."
"It is said that they sleep during the day and hunt at night, that their night vision is unmatched and their hearing keen enough to pick up on the beating on your heart,” someone in the back told.
"Don't scare the man," A woman sighed."
"If it scares you then perhaps it should," Aris interjected, "The Drykas Watch is not for children who fancy themselves men. We are the first and last line of defence for our people and this city in particular. If you aren't willing to face the things we speak of here, leave now."

Dravite shook his head slowly, smiling to himself; Aris had a strange way of going about things, but he was slowly getting used to the man's odd approach. The new recruit didn't ask any more questions and the woman that had spoken on his behalf bowed her head, choosing to listen for the rest of the meeting rather than say anything that might upset Aris again.

"Orders?" Dravite asked.
"I need a team of you to patrol north of the city on a rotation this summer. Each of you will have to spend at least a week outside of Endrykas this season, but you won't be alone. Whatever group goes on patrol will have a Tavehk, and a Yakhtai member of The Watch working as guides. We don't want to lose any more members this year."

Everyone was quiet and it seemed no one was racing forth to sign themselves up for the mission. Dravite sat and thought about his injury, he wouldn't be able to travel outside of Endrykas for some time, but he could still keep an eye on the groups from within the city itself via the webbing. "Aris," Dravite spoke up, "I'd like to request a week later in the season; I should be on light duties until my broken rib has had a chance to heal."

He felt the eyes of his peers on him but didn't look away from Aris who gave his response little thought. "Get yourself into a scuffle on the way here?"
Dravite smiled, "No, sir."
Aris nodded and scratched his fingers through his loose ponytail. "I have no problem with that, will the severity-first work for you?"
"Thank you," Dravite agreed.
"Does anyone else have any special requests to make?" Aris asked the group and when no reply came he folded his arms, "Good, then we will gather here after lunch to tell you who your teams are and when your watch begins, until then, don't stray too far; I don't like waiting.".
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 6th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Aris pulled the new recruit aside before he could leave the tent. Dravite sat in the back and watched the rest of the group leave before getting to his feet. "You stay," Aris pointed, "I need to talk to you too."

Dravite sat down again and tucked his left hand under his right arm, rubbing the tender flesh through the material of his shirt. He knew he wouldn't feel comfortable sitting too much longer, but didn't want to defy Aris who was known for commanding respect.

"Dravite this is Roan Winterstorm, he is the son of an old friend of mine."
"It's nice to meet you, Roan."
"Likewise," Roan smiled.

Dravite studied the young man's face; he couldn't have been any older than sixteen. He had an easy smile and light blue eyes with curly black hair that wound down past his shoulders. The boy looked as if he could do with a bit of feeding up, his limbs and features still filling out, though it looked as if he would someday be a very fine man.

"Roan this is the man I told you about, Dravite Windborne of the Emerald Clan."

Dravite bowed his head, closed his eyes and thought of his mother and father. When he opened them again, both men were looking at him. "My apologies, Aris, but I must correct you. I am no longer welcome in the Windborne pavilion and thus have taken my late father's name, Blackwater; he was of the Diamond Clan."

Aris stood silent for a long time and it was Roan who spoke first. "Well, Dravite Blackwater of the Diamond Clan, it is a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to working with you this summer and many more summers to follow, may the gods be kind."

Dravite smiled and finally Aris spoke up. "It seems we have a lot to talk about," he said quietly before sending Roan away, "Go enjoy your lunch Roan, I'll see you this afternoon."

Roan left the tent leaving Dravite and Aris alone to talk. "What happened?" Aris asked as he made himself comfortable; he had obviously decided Dravite was the type of man that took a long time to tell a story.
"There isn't much to tell," Dravite shrugged and suddenly remembered why he shouldn't do that. He screwed up his face and leaned back where he sat to try and ease the pain in his chest.
"Don't play games with me, boy; you know you can trust me."
Dravite sighed. "Belhatir had a fight with his father over something. He came to me late one evening and told me he was leaving. I tried to talk him out of it but he seemed set on his plans. I left to pack him some meat for his journey and when I turned back he was gone."
Aris made a low sound as if he were clearing out his throat in order to avoid having to speak for lack of anything appropriate to say. "Go on."
"I sat up all night tracking him in the web but he managed to escape me and not wanting to get lost I made my way back. While I had been following him, his father, the Windborne Ankal had slipped away unnoticed and the pavilion held me responsible. We spent two days looking for him before we were forced to leave for the summer grounds."
"Did one of them break your rib?" Aris asked.
"No, I did that myself when I took on a Grass-Bear and paid for it."
"Do you have a death wish, boy?"

Dravite shook his head.

"Where have the Windborne set up camp?"
"I'm unsure," Dravite admitted, "When they decided to vote me out I was left to find Endrykas alone with my wife and mother."
"They abandoned you in the Sea of Grass?"
"And took all of the Bear meat with them."
"You mean you actually managed to kill that thing?"
"Not alone," Dravite admitted.
"How is your family, do you need anything?"
"My mother didn't make it to Endrykas with us, why wife is sick with child and my son doesn't understand why or where everyone has gone; that we are now alone."

Aris shook his head and raked his dirty blond hair back with his fingers. He put his hand on Dravite's left shoulder and squeezed gently as if to reassure him. "I’m sorry about your mother, boy. I wanted to ask a favour of you but I realise this is poor timing."
"Ask away," Dravite encouraged.
"Roan's father is dying; they were a part of a pavilion that was destroyed in the storm of 512, the remaining members choosing to live on a small one acre farm at the border of Syliras. I wanted you to take him under your wing and perhaps now that you are in a position to start from scratch, Roan might be of use."

Dravite closed his eyes, trying to imagine a life unlike the one he had led. Living on the same square acre of land would have driven him mad; he couldn't imagine how Roan had managed it. "Does he have a Strider?" Dravite inquired.
"Yes, a tent, his own weapons, and his Windmarks; he turns sixteen this winter and is a competent bowman."
"Another mouth to feed," Dravite smiled.
"Going by the state you have got yourself in, it might be him feeding yours."

The two of them laughed and Dravite realised Aris wasn't as cold hearted as he first appeared. "He can stay with me."
Aris smiled. "You're a good man, Blackwater. Hopefully some of that might rub off on him." .
Last edited by Dravite on June 7th, 2015, 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 7th, 2015, 12:07 am

When they returned after lunch Aris was joined by two men one of which Dravite had seen before, though he could not recall the man's name. He had fiery red hair and broad shoulders. Both men held spears, Dravite's preferred weapon. "Right," Aris sat down, joined by his guests, "These are the men that will be accompanying you during your appointed watch in the north."
"Will you not join us?" One of the women asked.
"I will go on every second watch as Tavehk, otherwise I will be spending my time here trying to round up new recruits. Believe me when I say I would much rather be out there with you than sat here in the city feeling useless."
"Aris," Dravite put his hand up.
"Blackwater?"
"As I will be based in Endrykas most of the season helping to maintain the web and watch from afar, might I suggest that you appoint me perhaps, to manage enrolments?"
"As kind as you offer is, Dravite, you are hardly qualified to make such decisions on my behalf, though I would like you to join me on the days that I am here so that by this time next year I will feel a lot more comfortable leaving you with such responsibilities."

Dravite smiled and bowed his head, accepting the Tavehk's criticism. It would do him good to shadow the older Watch member for a time to see how things were run behind the scenes. It would also take his mind off the fact that he felt utterly useless sporting such a hindering injury that would keep him out of action until mid to late summer. The healers had not been able to do much for him, broken ribs were just something that took time and rest in order to mend, though they had given him something for the pain.

Aris assigned each member to a group who would take turns to patrol the north this summer. Some teams would have to go twice and Dravite wondered if he would end up being one of them later on in the season.

"Does anyone have any questions?" Aris asked before he would feel happy dismissing the group for the day, the first team set to be deployed tomorrow.
"Yes, sir," one of the men spoke up. "What are we to do if we encounter one of these Zith creatures?"
"Or more," Roan called.
"A lone Zith is to be killed on sight, if you come across a group use your common sense."
"What does that mean exactly," the first man asked.
"It means don't engage the group unless you know the odds of winning are in your favour."

The group laughed and Aris silenced them by raising his left hand. "Anything else?"
"No," came the collective reply.
"Good; team one meet us here tomorrow at first light with your camping supplies. I want you out of here by the seventh bell.

There was a hum of conversation as men and women turned to each other to talk about their teams and pray for those on first watch. Dravite and Roan were waved over as the tent emptied out and Aris explained his plans for Roan. “Winterstorm, I've found you a place to camp this season and a fine young man to look out for you.”

Roan smiled up at Dravite who was only a few inches taller, nothing Roan wouldn't quickly catch up to in the coming months. Dravite nodded but could not smile through the pain he felt in his chest.

“Why don't the two of you go get better acquainted. Roan this is not a free ride, I expect you to treat Dravite as your Ankal, for he is the head of his family and you will be staying with his pavilion,” Aris explained.

Dravite couldn't help but smile then, Roan was about to get a big shock when he found the pavilion consisted of him and three other members; hardly a pavilion at all. “It will be a pleasure to have you with us, Roan.”
“Thank you,” Roan beamed.
“Being a part of a pavilion isn't like the life you led on the farm; remember that, boy. Everyone pulls their weight.”
“Yes, Aris, Thank you, sir,” Roan nodded and left the tent with Dravite. .
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 7th, 2015, 2:13 am

“I had been visiting Syliras with my father at the time of the storm; we had crossed the Sea of Grass with another pavilion. It still irks me that I cannot recall the name. My father, Leif Winterstorm, had business in Syliras; one of the weapon-smiths there had crafted him a fine bow which he passed on to me this year,” Roan smiled.
“He sounds like a good man,” Dravite replied, “Is this the bow?”
“Yes,” Roan nodded, handing the bow to Dravite to examine.

The young horse lord looked over the bow, tracing the length of the taut string under the pads of his fingers. “A fine weapon,” Dravite smiled, though he hadn't had much to do with bows before, and wouldn't really be able to determine the good from the bad.

He handed it back to Roan and as they walked through the busy marketplace, Dravite watched a man trying to haggle for a better price on a cow pelt. “One silver and I trade you two chickens in return.”

Dravite made a mental note to himself; that some things could be won with trade, not just gold and silver. He liked to barter in the markets, but had never been bold enough to offer something as trade over coin.

Roan laughed, “I don't remember it being this busy here in Endrykas.”
“It seems to grow some years and shrink again during others,” Dravite replied.
“You're good with a spear?” Roan inquired.
“Define good?” Dravite laughed.

Roan smirked and positioned the bow over his shoulder to free up his hands. “My mother was from the Diamond Clan; she was very good with a spear.”
“It seems to be a popular weapon,” Dravite agreed, “Though not nearly as favourable as your bow.”
“I know. I begged my father to learn the spear, but he was fixed on seeing that I followed in his footsteps rather than my mothers.”
“I could always help you learn?” Dravite offered.
“Would you?”
“Of course, what power does knowledge hold if we keep it to ourselves?”
Roan beamed from ear to ear. “I noticed the dagger on your belt, is it steel?”
“Yes.”
“Have you ever killed anyone with it?”
“No,” Dravite countered quickly, “I've never killed anyone.”

His brow knotted, that was not entirely true. Though he had never dealt the death wound on any man or woman, he felt responsible for the death of the man in the Windborne pavilion that had died on his watch. He had been so tired that night and drifted off against all his efforts to stay awake, later waking to find that the pavilion had been attacked by a Grass-Bear with cubs. It was more likely one of her cubs had stumbled upon the man and his wife in the tall grass and that the Sow was merely protecting it.

Roan was quiet for a time before speaking again. “Sorry… I was just curious.”
“It’s all right,” Dravite sighed.
“I killed a man for trying to steal some of my father’s cattle in the spring. I think he was a bandit,” Roan admitted.
“That was very brave of you; did you do it with your dagger?”
“Yes, I like working with a dagger, I could teach you my tricks!”
Dravite laughed. “Sure, why not.”

When they got to camp, an empty plot piled with a few things belonging to Dravite and his wife, two Striders and Dravite’s three year old son, Kyanite; the man spoke up. “Home sweet home.”
Roan looked a little underwhelmed and highly perplexed by the sight. “Oh… I guess I'll just set up over here then,” he pointed to one corner of the empty plot and smiled, “When I return with my things in a bell or two.” .
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 7th, 2015, 2:53 am

Dravite watched Roan run from camp back towards Endrykas where he had left his things. They had chosen to set up closer towards the city of tents this season, as there were less of them now and Dravite did not want to risk an attack in the night, leaving that to some poor soul set up closer to the edge who would probably be more readily able to protect themselves. A little forward planning now would do them good in the long run.

“Who was that? Belkaia chirped from where she sat holding Kyanite.
“That was Roan Winterstorm. Aris asked me to take him under my wing for the summer.”

Belkaia got to her feet and closed the gap between her and her husband. “These are the things you should consult with your wife on before you decide on them,” Belkaia scolded, “How do you suppose we're going to feed him when you are unable to hunt?”
“Don't test me woman; I know very well what I can and can't do in this state, but Roan will come in handy. He is good with a bow.”
“He’s good with a bow,” Belkaia mocked before folding her arms, “He’s also a growing boy who will eat us out of house and home.”
“I think you're forgetting that we still don't own a tent.”

Belkaia half screamed, halting the noise before it met fruition. “I can't believe you, Dravite Blackwater! How could you let us live in this state!” Belkaia sobbed and Kyanite put his little arms around his mother’s neck, tucking his head against her shoulder.
“I’m sorry my love, I will go to the marketplace now and purchase us the best tent you have ever seen in your life.”
“Don't toy with me, husband… I fear I am too depressed for games now.”

Dravite frowned and followed his wife as she turned away from him to press a kiss to her cheek and that of Kyanite’s. “I will be home by day’s end. Please try to make Roan comfortable. I’ll bring us back something nice to eat; promise.”
“I’m tired of promises, my love. I can't eat promises. I can’t sleep under promises. I can’t raise you a healthy son with promises.”
“Kaia…”
“I'll believe it when I see it.”

With that Belkaia returned to sorting through their things with Kyanite at her side. Dravite was tempted to take his son along for the trip to the marketplace but he knew how much Belkaia detested being left alone, especially when she had no walls about her for privacy. I have not been a good husband or provider, Dravite told himself; it’s time to step up.

He left his spear in camp and set off towards the busy marketplace. On the way he noticed a boy sat in the tall grass waving his dagger back and forth slowly in some kind of show for the eyes, “Roan?”
Roan turned and sheathed his dagger before getting to his feet quickly. “Dravite… sorry!”
“Whatever for?”
“I’m sorry it’s just… I thought Aris would set me up with someone from an actual pavilion. I feel now as if he mocks me.”

The boy’s words stung just a little. “It is not the size of a team but the way in which they work together,” Dravite forced a smile for Roan, hoping the boy would not see through it.
“I’m sorry. I know you are right, but I can't help feeling a little disenchanted, sir.”
Dravite sighed. “Why don't you come with me to the marketplace? We'll fetch your things and you can help me drag home something that will please my wife very much, then we can start your training?”
Roam grinned, “I’d like that.” .
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 9th, 2015, 8:57 am

Roan walked ahead, looking back over his shoulder at Dravite every now and then as they traversed the busy marketplace. "What kind of tent are you thinking to purchasing?" Roan asked, curious.
"Honestly?" Dravite smiled, "I had plans to buy a pavilion tent."
"The expensive kind?"
"Yeah the big ones," Dravite nodded.
"Why do I sense a but?"
Dravite's laughed; Roan seemed a smart young man. "Because if I buy a tent that big I won't have enough money to buy a bedroll or something nice for us to eat tonight."
"Don't The Watch pay you well?"
"Well enough for a man of my skill I suppose."
"Then ask for an advance," Roan shrugged.

Dravite put his hands in his pockets to keep the swift fingers of thieves out. The marketplace was still busy, even after the lunchtime rush. People were holding up garments and starting up bidding wars, trying to undercut the man next-door, or trick the masses with a two for one and get the third free scam, where they flogged old stock to unsuspecting travellers.

"We do work with the same man, right?" The horse lord called to his new friend.
Roan laughed, "I see what you mean."

Once the pair managed to track down the right stall, they eyed it from down the makeshift street, still thick with trampled, green grass that would be yellow and dead by the end of the season, if it did not see enough foot traffic to be churned to mud first. "I've got a plan," Dravite spoke quickly.

Roan leaned close to listen, a slow smile causing the left side of his mouth to turn up in a half-smile as Dravite ran over the plan.

"We go to the stall, one after the other, looking to buy the same thing. You go first, offer the man eight and five silver for a tent, see if you can haggle him down for a chime before I step in and try to bargain for a better deal."
"What happens if he refuses to budge on the price?" Roan asked.
"Can't hurt to try can it?"

Roan smirked.

Dravite let Roan go ahead and watched him greet the salesman from afar before slowly working his way over to the stall. He unrolled a bedroll to check the length and quality of the material used, pretending to pay no mind to the stall owner and his customer as they spoke.

"How much are your four man tents?" Roan asked.
"How long is a piece of string?" The man behind the wooden counter smiled.
Roan looked a little taken aback. "I'm not sure?" He replied.

The stall owner laughed and went back to rolling up a selection of leather hides.

Roan glanced over at Dravite before trying again, but the salesman was quick to talk. "Can't you read the sign, boy? All four person tents, ten gold miza."
"Got anything bigger?" Roan asked.
"Too big for a boy to drag home."
Roan scoffed. "Well, how much?"
"Fifty, but it will take me a week to stitch the fabrics together."
"A week!" Roan croaked, "That's far too long to wait, couldn't you offer me a better deal if I have to wait that long?"

Dravite had to turn away from the pair to stop himself from laughing, Roan was not too bad at negotiating it seemed, if a little hilarious to watch. The horse lord rolled up the bedroll, and set it under his arm, happy with the one he had picked out.

"No special on large tents," the man replied, "I have a family to feed, and there is not much profit to be made."
Roan scratched around in the depths of his pockets and pulled forth eight and five silver. "Eight gold and five silver miza, that's the best I can offer for a four person tent."
The man shook his head. "No deal."

Dravite stepped forward and put the bedroll on the counter. "Eight and nine silver," he interjected, trying to look as disinterested as possible by the whole situation.
The salesman perked a brow. "No," he said again, but had hesitated.
"Nine gold and two silver."
"Make me a real offer and I might consider it," the man said, looking Dravite in the eye.

He was old, his hair was thinning and his eyes were a milky blue. His fingers were wrinkled and worn, toughened by his work with the needle; just as old and leathery as his face. Though he looked like a bit of a push-over, the man wore a cunning little smile that said he knew better.

"Nine gold, five silver," Dravite said, low balling him.
The shopkeeper shook his head. "I refuse to make a deal with a man who can't be fair," he stated and it seemed Dravite had missed his chance, if only he had offered a little more, like nine and eight, he might had saved himself two silver, which was nothing to laugh at.
"My apologies, friend," he signalled the Pavi sign for dismissal and put the right coin in the salesman's hand, "I'll pay full price and take the bedroll too."

The man slowly counted the money in his hand before slipping it into his front, breast pocket, keeping it close to his heart. He lifted a four man tent pack over the counter and waited until Dravite had taken hold of it before he let go. "Will there be anything else?"
"Actually, yes," Dravite smiled, "Could you point us in the direction of a good butcher? We are looking for something nice and lean to take home for cooking tonight."
The man looked thoughtful for a time, rubbing his chin with his thumb and forefinger. "There is a redhead woman who sells nice cuts of beef and root vegetables for a fair price about fifty strides down the street; tell her Rook sent you and she may offer you her freshest meat."
Dravite laughed, hating to think what everyone else was getting. "Thank you, Rook."

Roan and Dravite signed their farewells and left to head down the street, off towards their next haggling adventure.

Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 9th, 2015, 9:17 am

"How did I do?" Roan asked, just as fond of praise as Dravite had been at his age.
"I am quietly impressed," the horse lord smirked.
Roan grinned. "I wonder if we will have any better luck with this woman?"
Dravite thought about his answer before offering it. "For all we know, Rook could be code for cheats."
"Scammers," Roan retorted, "I hadn't thought of that. What if we approached separately again?"
"What, you tell her Rook sent you and I laugh when she offers you her smelliest cut of meat?" Dravite sniggered.
Roan laughed whole-heartedly. "Doesn't hurt to try, no?" He said, using Dravite's own words against him.
"You're a fast learner," Dravite told him.
"My mother used to tell me that."
"What happened to her?"
"The Djed Storm," Roan said softly.
"I'm sorry."

Roan smiled his half smile and went on ahead when the two of them spotted the redhead. "Carrots, do you have any carrots?"
The woman looked Roan up and down. "And apples, and potatoes," she told him.
"Excellent," Roan beamed, "I'll take an ounce of carrots and..."

The woman looked up as she tied the grassy ends of the carrots together with a bit of string. She glanced over at Dravite and noticed the tent pack slung over his left arm and the bed roll tucked under it. Dravite had to think fast, if saying the name Rook was a code word for cheats, she would probably pick him as the cheat, seen as the tent and bedroll was a dead give-away as to where he had come from. He spoke up loudly before Roan could get another word in. "Hello, love. Rook sent me, said you could give me a good deal on some fresh hens."
The woman smirked and Dravite knew he had been right, "No hens sorry, or beef."
"What a shame," Dravite said and bumped Roan on his way out; the boy would have to handle the deal on his behalf.

Roan blinked and looked from Dravite, the man who had knocked him, to the redhead.

"I'm sorry about that," she rolled her eyes, "A few of us traders are sick of being ripped off, so we have set up a little code amongst ourselves."
"That's fine," Roan said, "Where were we?"
"Did you need some meat to go with your carrots?"
"Yes please," Roan smiled, "What have you got?"

The woman waved a persistent fly away from the meat set on the counter that had been sitting in the sun since lunch and reached down under the bar top. She presented Roan with a fresh cut of beef, all pink and tender. "Hung her up last night and cut her up myself."
"Looks delicious," Roan smiled and paid the woman the right money after she had wrapped a cut of fresh beef up for him.
"I have chicken too if you would like some?"
"This should do nicely, thank you very much."

Roan met Dravite outside of the stall and handed him the carrots and beef. Dravite gave him the right money to repay the boy and smiled. "What did you get?"
"Beef," roan winked.
"I knew it!" Dravite laughed.
"How did you know?" Roan inquired.
"She gave me this strange looked when I showed up with the tent pack and when I mentioned the name Rook, she smirked, didn't you see it?"
"No," the boy smiled, "She told me she cut up that beef last night so it's nice and fresh."
"Nice work, Roan!"
"I'll go get my things and meet you back at camp so that we can start training?"
"Sounds great," Dravite agreed with a nod, "I'll see you there."

Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 9th, 2015, 9:31 am

Dravite spent two bells putting up the tent and by the time he was almost finished, Roan still hadn't returned to camp. The sun was starting to set and the sky was alive with a brilliant array of red, yellows, orange, and different shades of blue. Kyanite had been helping his father set up the tent, or as helpful as a three year old tends to be before they get tired with one game and wander off to find another. "Pull," Dravite chuckled, laughing at Kyanite's attempt at pulling a loose rope, taut.
"Pull!" Kyanite echoed and leaned back with all his might, hanging off the end of the rope.
"Good work!" Dravite smiled down at him, "Wife, have you seen how strong this son of yours is?"
So strong, Belkaia signed from the other side of camp.

Kyanite watched her over his shoulder and released the rope to mimic her actions, using grassland sign just as well as any other Drykas child. Dravite picked up the slack and tied down the last, double checking to make sure it was secure before he stood up and ventured inside.

The tent was roomy and warm, trapping the day's warmth inside. Dravite picked up the fire-wood he had collected the night before and stacked it inside to keep it dry, just in case of rain. He took his hatchet from his black, leather belt and carefully cut fine strips of wood away from a quartered stump for kindling. With these pieces he was able to start building a fire. The dry grass went down on the patch of ground he had cleared, followed by the kindling. He used his flint and steel, striking the tools together to make sparks until the grass finally caught. The smoke rose skyward and escaped through the centred vent hole in the ceiling as the flames rose up to climb the narrow strips of wood the man kept feeding to the fire until it was stable enough to take a log or two.

"Think you can keep that going?" He smiled at Belkaia as she met him in the doorway on his way out.
"Shouldn't be too much trouble. Don't stay out talking too late, you have some cooking to do and you should be resting."
"You really want me to ruin such a beautiful cut of beef?"
Belkaia laughed. "I'm sure you'll keep a better eye on it than the smoked rabbit you let go to the dog."

Dravite looked outside of the tent to where Kyanite was playing in the grass. The little boy was crouched, looking intently at something he had spotted, a worm, or some kind of insect no doubt. "Come, little lion, inside; it's getting late."

Kyanite got to his feet and hurried inside and Dravite untied the flap of the door to keep the warmth in. Tonight would be a luxury they hadn't had since the wildfire in spring, a roof over their heads and vegetables in their bellies. He knew it was important to look after his wife, especially now that they were expecting their second child together.

"Perhaps Roan has decided not to join us?" Dravite shrugged, looking to his wife.
"I'm sure he will, you never know, he might have errands to run."
"I'll start cooking and if he arrives soon, we will train after we've had our meal."

Belkaia took Kyanite to wash up before dinner as Dravite made a start on prepping the carrots. He used his dagger to cut them into odd sized medallions and tossed them in the pan set at his side. Belkaia returned and giggled from behind him. "What?" He laughed, knowing he had done something she must had disapproved with.
"Look at the carrots," she prompted.

Dravite picked up one of the carrots he hadn't attacked and looked it over. It had the greenery still attached and dried dirt clinging to it. "Nothing wrong with them," Dravite grinned.
"You need to wash them first, my love."

Dravite signed for impatience and picked up his water-skin to pour water into the pan. He moved the orange chunks of vegetable about the pan with his fingers until they were rinsed and then strained the dirty water out. When he was done he added some fresh water to the pan and held it over the fire pit with his left hand. Soon the water simmered and slowly the carrots began to soften. "How long does this take?" Dravite asked after a few chimes had passed.
"Taste one," Belkaia encouraged, "Then you will know if they need longer or not."

Dravite plucked a piece of carrot from the pan and chewed it. The carrot tasted bland, but it was just about cooked. "Should I add the meat?"
"You know best," Belkaia teased.
"I'm going to add the meat," he decided aloud.

The horse lord grabbed the large fistful of meat he had prepared and added it to the pan, the raw meat hissing and spitting as it met the hot surface of the cookware. He tossed it with a flick of his wrist and watched it brown quickly. When he was satisfied that the majority of the meat was cooked, he took a piece to try and then added more water, leaving the meaty stew to boil away for a while.

He felt a cold breath of air against his back and turned to find Roan had pulled the door open, letting the cool of night slip in.

"Sorry I'm late," Roan apologised.
"No trouble," Dravite waved him over, "You're just in time to eat." .
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dravite on June 9th, 2015, 9:41 am

"Now I see what took you so long," Dravite smirked, eyeing up Roan's new spear.
Roan grinned from ear to ear. "We can't very well train together if I am wielding a bow and you a spear.
"I suppose you have a point," Dravite admitted, "But training isn't always about fighting you know."
"What do you mean?" Roan asked, looking a little confused by the statement.
"Well, for instance, we could sit and talk about how to use a spear and that could still be considered training."

Roan nodded and Dravite knew the boy had understood his words, but Roan looked eager to get a feel for the weapon. "Come on," Dravite smiled, "Arm yourself."

Dravite, who usually favoured his right arm, took up his weapon with his left to avoid putting any unwanted strain on his right side. He watched Roan handle the spear and take up a stance that signified he was ready to begin. "Turn that thing around before you poke someone’s eyes out," Dravite warned, pointing the blunt end of his spear at Roan.

Roan corrected his spear and readied himself again. Slowly Dravite began to circle and Roan quickly followed suit, moving about in the clearing. "Where should I strike?" Roan asked.
"I guess that all depends on whether you intend to kill your opponent or merely wound him," Dravite coached.
"Where would you strike?" The boy followed up his first question with something a little more intriguing.
Dravite smirked menacingly. "You will just have to wait and find out."

The horse lord thrust his spear forwards and Roan quickly jumped back out of striking range. The two smiled at each other, trying to bait one another into moving first. Dravite could not dodge the man's blow quite as quickly, but when Dravite landed a hit, they were slightly more accurate thanks to his years of handling the same weapon. A slight lapse in concentration saw Dravite make another bold move, catching Roan's right side, hip with the blunt end of his spear.

"Careful!" Roan laughed, "I do intend to have children one day."

Dravite laughed at the boy and Roan took his turn to land a hit, grazing Dravite's calf muscle as the horse lord moved to try and dodge the strike. "That was a bit sneaky," Dravite told him.
Cunning, Roan signed, unable to wipe the grin from his face.
"You'll need plenty of that to get me again!" Dravite jested.

Just then there came a call from behind him, his name fresh off his wife's lips. "Dravite!"

He turned and looked at her just as Roan jabbed his spear forward and knocked the back of Dravite's thigh. He looked over his shoulder and held up a finger at Roan as if to say, 'watch it.'

"What in Leth's light do you think you are doing?"
"Fighting by torchlight, my love."
"I forbid it," Belkaia scolded and this time she sounded serious, "You should be resting!"

Dravite bowed his head and sighed, he knew it just as well as she did, but he was stubborn, not even a broken rib could keep him on his back for long.

"It's okay," Roan said, "Belkaia is right, I'm sorry for encouraging him."

Dravite smiled at Roan, warm, grey eyes narrowed playfully.

"Bed," Belkaia waved, "Now!” She insisted before signing; I want to ride my stallion.

Dravite felt as if he had gone red from head to toe and thought he might burst into flames where he stood. "See you in the morning," he said to Roan without glancing back at the man, forced to laugh off his embarrassment as he went.
Roan roared with laughter and called, "Aye, see you then, Stud." .
Dravite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes