Open In This Twilight

A visitor explores Syliras in unusual places.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

In This Twilight

Postby Gwin on June 12th, 2015, 8:56 am

Summer 53, 515 AV
The Stone Gardens

Syliras confounded Gwin. It took her a day of wandering to get used to the feeling of the giant fortress. Everything was walled in, shut off from wind and weather, and in some places even windows were hard to come by. Fluttering around stone corridors, listening to the echo of her wingbeats, claustrophobia caused her head to spin and squeezed her heart. One time she got lost and spent two agonizing hours in the bowels of the citadel before finding her way back to the sky.

The second day she moved with greater purpose. Flying above walls and rooftops, the Akvatari had gotten a glimpse of how the city was built. From above, she could see the overarching patterns: the majority of the city within the citadel, arranged in tiers like a majestic stone cake.

Still, she wandered. This time, she kept in mind landmarks and streets though, just enough not to lose her way. She could still explore. People were staring at her, of course, although they seemed to be more discreet about it. As a big city and trade center, Syliras certainly got its fair share of exotic visitors. Knights dotted the crowd like dandelions in a field of clover and Gwin observed them with mild curiosity. At the same time, she couldn’t help a lingering sense of pity for those people who lived in a cage they’d built with their own hands.

Wandering led her to a garden of stone. Settling on a bench, Gwin marveled at its purpose. She’d never seen anything like it in Riverfall, a city full of parks, greenery and flowing water. For Syliras, however, a garden of stone, unmoving and never growing, seemed strangely fitting. Gwin had taken her violin on her stroll, of course, and now she unpacked it. Plucked a string.

From her bench, she had a good view of the central area and its visitors. Most were walking slowly, heads bowed, hands clasped behind backs or buried in pockets. Conversations were whispered at best. The solemn atmosphere seemed to be part of the garden’s meaning, but as an outsider, Gwin couldn’t learn more from observation.

Instead she started playing, softly and carefully. The song was flowing over stone and through the air in long, sweet notes and she played clearly as if her music was made of glass. She wasn’t even offering it to the people passing her by, no, instead she sought to understand what the garden meant through translating the silence it communicated. Something could be heard in that silence. Gwin only had to play it out between her strings and bow.

Song :
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

In This Twilight

Postby Evhor on June 15th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Changed my mind, I'm going to start elsewhere. Please delete.
Need nothing, take all.
Evhor
Player

Words: 5256
Joined roleplay: June 12th, 2015, 9:39 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

In This Twilight

Postby Autumn Wilde on June 16th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Traveler's Row

"Matilda, what do you think about children?" Autumn sat in the office-turned-apartment at the end of Traveler's Row, where Matilda whom owned the inn set up shop. She had been mercilessly chowing on the cookies on the end table with sips of tea in between. The Konti didn't seem to mind too much, as there was already a new batch of cookies baking that Autumn could smell.

"Children? I don't have any, if that's what you mean." The old woman said. She was a beautiful Konti, as most are, the cane she used to hold herself the only sign of her age. Flawless skin and long, wavy hair accentuated her curvy figure and angled face. Autumn was jealous that when she was the same age as the Konti, she would need much more than a cane holding her up.

"I mean, do you enjoy the company of children? I rather do. They're quite fun and can be bribed with just about anything." The musician mused. It was her day off from working in the theatre yet she still carried her gea'tar with her, which rested next to her on the couch. It was a nice, sunny day out and Autumn had no idea what to do with her time. On most of her days off she would just sit in her apartment and do the same thing she does every other day, practice her gea'tar.

"I suppose it depends on the child. Anyway, what are you doing sitting in here talking to an old woman? Don't you have some younger people you could be fraternizing with?" Matilda asked. Autumn snorted involuntarily at the Konti's question and when the woman gave her a confused glance, she cleared her throat and tried to contain her amusement before answering.

"I'm not sure if the friends I've made are available for 'fraternizing' with today. I'm thinking of exploring the city, finding somewhere new," She trailed off and scrunched her eyebrows together in concentration, "Any suggestions?" At the end of her inquiry she picked up another cookie and begin nibbling on it.

The Konti paused in the middle of counting her coins and seemed to consider for a moment before responding.

"Have you been to the Stone Garden? It's a wonderful, tranquil memorial garden for those Syliran Knights that have fallen. You can sit there and play your gea'tar as well. Very peaceful. I go there sometimes to think." Matilda told Autumn.

"No, I haven't been there yet, though it sounds like I would enjoy it," She got up from her seat then picked up her instrument and strapped it to her back, "Thank you for the suggestion Matilda, I think I'll go do that." And with a smile she began walking out the door. She stopped with her hand on the doorknob and turned back around.

"Where is it exactly?"

"Between the Jordan and Roshin Districts, just beyond Kova's Wishing well. Be careful by that well, and don't make a wish unless you are absolutely sure of yourself. I've heard of mysterious things happening there." Her tone had taken on one of superstition. Autumn just nodded and thanked Matilda, then left.

The Stone Garden

Autumn marveled at the perfectly round stones embedded in the ground all around her. It was a beautiful sight, one of grace and sophistication. She felt as though great respect should be practiced here for the lives that these stones were representing. As she was gazing upon the stones she realized that quite a few had names carved into them, and dates. The names of Knights that had sacrificed their lives for their city. It was honorable, Matilda was right that this was a beautiful place.

Whilst walking across the stones to view the names, a shadow, larger than a bird, passed by overhead and Autumn looked up quickly to watch the shape as it settled on a bench not too far away. Her mouth dropped open in astonishment at the beautiful creature now lounging on the bench.

She had only seen an Akvatari one other time, and it only flew overhead briefly, that was back in Zeltiva. Never had one been this close to her. She felt giddy all of a sudden, but was frozen to the spot. She could only watch as the woman pulled a violin out and started playing a beautiful melody. She seemed so lost in the music and it was drawing Autumn in, unconsciously making her feet move ever closer to the creature.

Her wings were a shimmery green color with black lines sprouting throughout them and her tail was covered in fur that was also a soft green. She was mesmerizing, long blonde hair cascaded down over her shoulders and her skin looked so soft. Autumn wondered if it was as silky as it appeared. The music the Akvatari played was slow and rather melancholy, but it fit in with the surroundings, giving the place an air of mystery and a calming effect.

Autumn stood her ground, rather close to the woman, and considered taking out her own instrument to play, but patiently waited by until she finished her song.

"That's a beautiful piece, I haven't ever heard it before," Autumn's voice came out breathier than she intended, and she felt sort of dazed, lost in the feeling of the music just as the violin player appeared to be, "Do you mind if I sit?" She asked, pointing to the vacant spot next to the woman on the bench.

Autumn Wilde
Last edited by Autumn Wilde on July 12th, 2015, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Words: 53471
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2014, 9:47 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

In This Twilight

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on June 16th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Kayuqtuq's home
Kayuqtuq stepped out into the heat and shivered, not from cold, but from heat. The young Vantha's body shivered in heat, still not used to anything warmer than sitting around a fire on a cold day. Sure, there had been Wind Reach, but that had just been a few days, not this long. Still, heat and all, she was wearing a thick cloak, a habit she had been unable to shake off. Two ever present items graced her body: her maple wood lute, so special, and her necklace, the wood of the charm carved with a fox, just like the carving in her lute's sound board. She set out walking in a random direction, strolling through the streets of Syliras, one hand holding her lute, the other fiddling with her necklace. Her eyes flashed a calm blue, like water, littering a startled rust red with every distraction. She let herself walk towards whatever direction looked nice, towards a pretty patch of flowers or away from some spilled dirt. Eventually, however, she found herself following music. It sounded like a violin, and the song was beautiful in a tragic way. Her eyes flickered a curious orange, and she kept heading towards the music.
She found herself heading towards a park filled with stones. As her eyes flickered across the stones, she realized that names were carved on them. She looked up from the stones however, and her jaw dropped open. Right there, in front of her, was an Akvatari playing the violin. Mournful music poured out, and Kayuqtuq started crying, the song was so beautiful. Her jaw dropped open at the Akvatari though. She had always thought Akvatari were just in stories. This one was definitely real though. Her eyes were lighting up, a bright, joyful yellow, and she was elated. As the piece finished, she clapped enthusiastically. "Good playing you did!"
Vani Common Nari Thoughts
Note: Kayuqtuq is only basic in Common, and particularly has trouble with grammar and the structure of words. If you notice she talks a little like a six-year old, that's why.
Note: Due to real life, posts will be delayed. I'm working hard on some non-Mizahar writing, and that plus school and various other things makes it hard to post.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Words: 30583
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2015, 11:10 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

In This Twilight

Postby Gwin on July 2nd, 2015, 8:56 pm

OOCHi you two, sorry for the late reply! I hope to move this thread along much faster from now on.

As the atmosphere of the place and its visitors touched her, invaded her mind, Gwin held onto it for a moment and let it flow out into the music. Whenever she tried to become nothing and simply be in the moment, her fingers moved of their own accord. The music caressed her ears, went in through them, trickling through her mind and into her arms. It was the ability that had always come easily to Gwin, the one she’d thought nothing special as a child. Only with the years had she learned that it was in fact something like talent, a mixture of natural aptitude and thousands of bells of practice.

The vague sadness and lingering melancholy of the Stone Garden dictated the haunting melody, rattling her fingers as they pushed down the strings. The air rang with her sweet vibratos (the first technique she’d struggled with before mastering it). Each note faded into the reverent silence of the place. After each long note, Gwin paused for a moment to bring out the echo.

As her fingers climbed higher on the fingerboard, the melody following, she picked up the tempo a bit. A handful of beats were filled with subtle haste before the piece fell back to the main theme. Gritting her teeth, Gwin brought it up in a steady crescendo to the very last trembling notes.

The first moments were filled with echoes and the familiar sense of loss. As always, Gwin lowered her bow with a breathless sigh and rested the instrument in her lap. Only then did the clapping and voices register in her mind. Her eyes were still glazed, but soon focused on the small tattooed woman in front of her. The musician immediately noticed the instrument case on her back, bigger than hers. The corner of her mouth twitched, not quite forming a smile. “I don’t mind. Please.”

Next was a girl with silky black hair who seemed younger, applauding with great enthusiasm. Squinting, Gwin tried to discern whether her eyes had really changed color. A trick of light or natural trait? No matter which, bright yellow was no ordinary eye color for a human. The Akvatari lowered her head, not so much out of modesty – but because she hadn’t asked for an audience or applause, yet they’d found her. She hadn’t played for money. Never. At least they hadn’t offered her any coin yet.

Absentmindedly plucking a few strings, she tried to remember tattoo girl’s earlier words. “It would’ve surprised me if you’d heard it before. I just put it together from observing this place. Are you a resident? If so, could you tell me what this is for?” Bow still in hand, she gestured towards the neatly arranged little stones.

Shifting a little, Gwin tried to sit so she could focus on both of them at the same time. The younger girl with the black hair and odd accent also carried a lute in her hands. “It seems like you’re musicians like me. What kind of music do you play in this fortress city? I’d really like to hear some of it if you don’t mind…”
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

In This Twilight

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on July 5th, 2015, 12:37 am

As the Akvatari turned her head, looking in a different dierection, Kayuqtuq noticed another woman was there. This one was covered in tattoos, and had quite short hair. Kayuqtuq let out a sigh, and her eyes slowly compressed to her usual milky yellow. The Akvatari said something to the other woman, and turned back towards Kayuqtuq, lowering her head. She spoke again, but this time, Kayuqtuq made out the words. "It would've surprised me if you've heard it before. I just put it together from observing this place. Are you a resident? If so, could you tell me what this is for?" The Akvatari said. Before she knew it, Kayuqtuq butted in. "Yes,resident is. No idea what means. Sorry bad Common. From Avanthal. Is babbling, no? Will stop. Name is Kayuqtuq." She wanted to smack her self in the face. Petch! Why'd you say that? That was unnecessary. She will think you are an idiot!
Her eyes became a frustrated rust red. The Akvatari shifted a little. She spoke again. "It seems you're musicians like me. What kind of music do you play in this fortress city? I'd really love to hear some of it if you don't mind." Kayuqtuq's eyes flashed joyful bright yellow again. "Well, yes, I musician. I mostly tell stories. I music found few years ago and love but not very good yet. I sing and lute play music on. Mostly play traditional Vani, but write songs too. Playing at wedding in few days and wrote song for that. You want to hear? It in Vani, not Common, though."
Note: Kayuqtuq is only basic in Common, and particularly has trouble with grammar and the structure of words. If you notice she talks a little like a six-year old, that's why.
Note: Due to real life, posts will be delayed. I'm working hard on some non-Mizahar writing, and that plus school and various other things makes it hard to post.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

In This Twilight

Postby Autumn Wilde on July 11th, 2015, 1:33 am

Autumn gladly took the seat next to the Akvatari, unable to peel her eyes away from the graceful creature. Her mind was still foggy from the hauntingly beautiful piece the violinist had played. Upon closer inspection she saw that her eyes were a beautiful green color, like Autumn's but much more intense. Another woman clapped a little too loud for the peaceful environment, but it wasn't in a disrespectful way. Autumn turned to the other girl that had joined and was surprised to see it was Vantha.

Good playing you did! She cheered enthusiastically. It was fairly obvious Common was not the Vantha's first language, and Autumn wished once again that she had taken the time to learn any other language beside Common. Her eyes were shining a bright yellow color, and Autumn remembered what she had learned about the way a Vantha's eyes changed color. She was in the company of such exotic races, and it was probably the first time in her life that she wasn't next to another human. This truly was an interesting way the day decided to take.

In answer to Autumn's inquiry, the winged woman told her that she had composed the piece herself, just drawing inspiration from her surroundings. Autumn's jaw dropped once again. Yet another thing she had to be impressed about. Were all Akvatari natural musicians like this one? If so then Autumn definitely had a LOT of work ahead of her to catch up. She could never play something so beautiful just from out of nowhere like that.

When the blonde woman asked if she was a resident and what this place was, Autumn had her answer at the tip of her tongue and just as she was going to respond the Vantha woman quickly chimed in with her own answer.

She was from Avanthal and her name was something that sounded like Kay-ook-took but she had been speaking so quickly in broken up Common that Autumn couldn't be sure. The Gea'tarist smiled politely at the young woman's excited nature. Although, she did not seem much younger than Autumn herself, her spirit still seemed to be fairly immature, like a child. Autumn's nature made her gradually drawn to children so she automatically liked the Vantha.

After her outburst though Kayuqtuq's face turned a little serious and her eyes changed from their bright yellow to a dark red. Autumn tried not to gasp but she was taken aback by how beautiful it was, even though the emotion portrayed was obviously not a happy one. It was the first time she had ever seen a Vantha's eyes change.

"My name is Autumn, it's nice to meet you.. Kay-ook-took," The tattooed woman spoke the name slowly, trying to ensure she wouldn't offend the girl if she said it wrong, then she turned to the woman whom had asked the question, "I am also a resident of the Fortress City. If you've just arrived, welcome! It really is a wondrous city." She mused, thinking fondly of the people she had met and the memories she had already made.

"As for where we are currently, this is the Stone Garden. It's a memorial garden for those Syliran Knights that have fallen in combat. Their names are forever etched into the stones so they will always be remembered for their honor and bravery they showed for the city and everybody within." Autumn tried to recall what Matilda had told her this morning, adding a little more flavor as well. It was just as beautiful as the Innkeeper had said it would be, and it was nice to be in good company as well.

The Violinist shifted in her spot so she was more directed at the both of them and then asked if they were musicians as well, noticing that they both had instruments. She wanted to hear the music they played. Autumn got excited at the prospect of getting to play for the talented musician. Just as before, Kayuqtuq spoke up quickly and excitedly, her eyes changing back to that bright yellow that Autumn assumed must be aligned with happiness. She was mostly a storyteller, she said, and that she was playing at a wedding soon. Autumn wondered if she was talking about Sayana's wedding. Maybe they could work on something to play together if she was. Autumn was interested to hear the Vantha's music from her home, and was intrigued to listen to what Vani sounded like when used in song.

"Oh that's wonderful! A storyteller and a musician! You must lead a very interesting life," Autumn exclaimed to the Vantha and then also answered the Akvatari's question, "Yes I'm a musician as well. I am from Zeltiva so most of the music I know is shanties that I learned from sailors and I've also picked up the local music here as well. Working at the 'Stallion you meet a lot of different folk from a lot of different places," The musician laughed lightheartedly at her joke and then continued, "I can play you some music after Kay-ook-took has played us some of hers." She suggested, then nodded at the lutist and gestured for her to go ahead and perform for them.

"Oh!" Autumn exclaimed before the Vantha began playing, then turned back to the blonde next to her, "I don't think I ever asked what your name is...?"

Autumn Wilde
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

In This Twilight

Postby Gwin on July 19th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Gwin pressed her lips together to stifle a surprised laugh. Despite her poor grasp of the common language, the younger girl’s bubbly nature felt refreshing. Her name, however, inspired a slight frown. As Gwin tried to memorize its odd combination of hard consonants, the girl’s eyes suddenly bled from yellow into muddy red. Blinking rapidly, the Akvatari wondered if it had been a kind of magic trick or a natural trait. Did all humans hailing from Avanthal possess those changing eyes? She didn’t know.

Gwin was grateful for the other woman’s introduction as it gave her enough time to recover from the shock. Then she offered a small smile. “It’s a pleasure to meet both of you… and what a curious coincidence that all of us are from different corners of the world. In fact, I have been asked to play at a wedding in a few days as well. It must be the same event. Please, sit if you like.”

Patting the bench next to her, Gwin invited the Vantha to join them. Despite their slender frames, the wooden seat would be packed, but she thought it only fair to offer the other girl a seat as well. As Autumn explained the meaning behind the stone garden, she listened with interest and gave a thoughtful hum. “That is a lovely concept. It seems like I was more or less successful in guessing the mood which is good to know. I see how it can be beneficial to remember and honor brave knights too.”

Truth be told, she’d prefer to survive than die bravely, but even the short stay had taught her that Sylirans practically worshipped their knights. Having just met such interesting people, Gwin didn’t wish to offend them (not yet, in any case).

Instead she focused on the music that connected all of them. “Then you must share a Zeltivan song with us. I’ve visited the town before and studied its music which was challenging, but also refreshing. I know nothing about Syliran styles though.” Hesitating, she wondered if it was better to ask for Zeltivan or Syliran melodies. A vague sense of nostalgia was pushed away in favor of Autumn’s question. “Oh, how rude of me… I’m Gwin. But please, go ahead with your song.” With that, she extended an arm, inviting the Vantha to start. If they were to perform at the same wedding, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to coordinate songs beforehand.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

In This Twilight

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on July 24th, 2015, 5:13 am

Both of the women seemed rather amused by Kayuqtuq's excited outburst. The tattooed one spoke first, introducing herself as Autumn and welcoming her to Syliras. "Yes, Autumn, I have just arrived. So far you right, is wonderful city. Miss home though." Autumn also explained to the Akvatari that apparently the Stone Garden, as that was what it was called, was some sort of memorial to dead knights. Kayuqtuq, not much of a visual artist, did not get it. Why be preserved in something that could and will easily crumble when you could be remembered in a song or a story, something that has the potential to last forever? Autumn seemed delighted at her aptitude for both song and story, and announced that she was from Zeltiva, as well as working at the 'Stallion. "You at Rearing Stallion work too? I play there! We should perform something together some time. I Zeltiva always wanted to go. Will like hearing music there from." Then the Akvatari spoke.

She invited her to sit, as well as saying she was performing at a wedding soon as well. Kayuqtuq sat down next to her. Apparently her name was Gwin. Why are names in Syliras so short? Ally, Dan, Gwin. They don't make sense. And as per the requests of Gwin and
Autumn, she began a song.

The intro was just a melody on the lute that Kayuqtuq loved because it sounded like the wind in the trees. After a few measures of these notes, the song started. A long, draw-out cry of a note escaped from her mouth in an echoey way. It was a hymn for Morwen, something her parents used to sing, and as such reflected the noises of the ice goddess's kingdom. After more beautiful wails accompanied by the haunting lute, the chorus emerged.
O queen of ice,
Crowned with snow,
Do you hear my words?
I sing for you and your ice-kingdom's glory

Watcher of the winter sun,
Protecter of these lands,
Hear my words
From your icy throne in the north
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

In This Twilight

Postby Autumn Wilde on August 15th, 2015, 6:27 pm

OOCI'm so sorry about the long wait!

The Vantha began her song and started singing a beautiful melody, another sort of haunting piece that kept you leaning in waiting for more. Even though Autumn did not understand the words she could feel it was a tribute of sorts, something that Kayuqtuq cared much about.

When she finished her song Autumn clapped enthusiastically and smiled at the woman, "That's a wonderful melody, I did really enjoy that." She said to her. It reminded her of a piece that she had heard from the sailors once, and she got excited to play her own music.

"If you both don't mind I'll share a little piece of my hometown with you as well." The musician stated then stood from her spot and brought the gea'tar out of it's case, setting the case on the ground. The black color with flowered design shone in the sunlight and Autumn plucked a few chords quickly to make sure it was in tune before clearing her throat and starting up a simple three chord melody, something drawn out and slightly melancholy.

She sang along to the tune:

"The summer seas can be quite fierce,
and Laviku makes sure,
if one does not control their ship,
He'll cast them overboard.

We've lost two men, three, and four,
And still we voyage on.
For hope that we'll soon see the shore,
And we'll be carried home.

Even in the worst of storms,
We'll keep pushing on.
For we are sailors, tried and true,
The sea is where we belong."

Autumn ended the song with a flourish and a simple arpeggio then bowed deeply and dramatically. It was meant to be sung by different men with harmonies and without accompaniment by gea'tar, but Autumn had adapted it and tried it out and she still felt it was a song close to her heart.

Autumn Wilde
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next