PM to join Treble in Paradise (Devi)

Autumn sees a familiar face in the crowds and decides to treat the children with a little song.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Treble in Paradise (Devi)

Postby Autumn Wilde on June 17th, 2015, 12:06 am

35th of Summer, 515 AV

Autumn sat on the edge of her bed, her beloved necklace dangling from her fingers. A hollowed out silver rimmed miza hung from the necklace, catching the light of the fire in the hearth every time it spun. Grandmother had told her that it was the only thing Autumn's mother had left behind before disappearing, running away with her husband at the time, Autumn's father.

The musician didn't know if what she wanted from life was to eventually get to meet her missing parents. What would she say? What would they look like? Where could she even begin to look? They could be in Syliras for all she knew, and she wouldn't ever find them. The only clue she had of her mother, were the initials carved into the rim of the miza: P. W.

She sighed and closed her eyes, forcing those thoughts out of her mind. Her parents had left her behind, and that was that. It was a pretty necklace so she may as well wear it. Autumn tied the two ends of the string around her neck, causing the miza to hang just in the hollow of her neck, creating a sort of collar effect.

Autumn grabbed her gea'tar from her bedside and moved it to the table in the other room of the apartment. It was a working day, which meant she needed to be at her best. She made a quick meal then picked up the instrument and moved it onto her back. It was summer, which meant it wouldn't be too cool. Autumn wore a simple shirt, pants, and boots. She would need to purchase a skirt and some sandals soon.

The day was bright and shiny, as she predicted, and people moved about in a very fast way. The road was loud and bustling, the whole city was like that though. Zeltiva was nothing like this. Sure it had days where the markets would be crowded and people would be rather rude, but not to this extent. In some ways Zeltiva was much easier to navigate than Syliras. But perhaps Autumn was just biased because it was the city she grew up in, and she knew it better than this one.

The easiest way to navigate the city was to go with the flow of the crowds, Autumn learned that pretty quickly. And to not bother apologizing every single time you bumped into someone, because that happened every two steps you took. Even with Autumn's small stature, the extra bulk she carried did not help her case. She had fallen several times because of the weight of the gea'tar throwing off her balance.

When she arrived in the theatre she came to a surprise. A small group of children gathered around Amelia, Binger, and Alhon, the other three buskers that worked in the theatre. They were quite enjoying the little showing the performers were putting on, and some even danced to the flute's music. Autumn found herself smiling at the festivities and walked over to say hello to the others. Amongst the faces of the children gathered, one certain blonde-haired girl seemed familiar.

"Sara?" Autumn called out in the general direction of the girl. Immediately her head spun around and a huge smile soon plastered her face.

"Autumn!" She yelled, and came running at her through the crowd. The small child threw herself against Autumn and hugged her around the stomach. Sara had definitely grown a few inches in the past two seasons. They laughed and Autumn picked her up and spun her around.

"I haven't seen you since Fall! I hope you're staying out of trouble." Autumn playfully chastised her after setting her down. Sara nodded vigorously. The musician was so pleased to see the young one that had helped her in a snowball fight that had taken place at the end of Fall, when it was almost Winter. Autumn had promised that she would see the child around but this was the first time she'd caught sight of her since then.

"I've been very busy. Aenysa let us come out to the theatre today for the sunshine. She said to be back before the eleventh bell for lunch." This was all said in a quick rush. The girl's cheeks were flushed and her eyes were lit up with an emotion that Autumn rarely saw in adults. The innocence of children is a beautiful thing.

"Well, we'd better not waste that time!" Autumn exclaimed then hurriedly pulled her gea'tar out of it's case and quickly tuned it using the tuning fork she had purchased at the bazaar.

She started up with a little ditty that she had picked up from a drunken man at the Rearing Stallion. Something upbeat and quirky. A few of the kids joined in to dance, singing the parts that they recognized. Autumn suddenly got a flash of when instances like this would happen back in Zeltiva. The people knew all of the shanties from there and everybody would be dancing and drinking Kelp Beer, which Autumn actually rather missed. Nobody from outside of Zeltiva found the drink to be too delightful, in fact none of the locals from Zeltiva really enjoyed the drink, but it was a taste they were accustomed to and there wasn't much else to choose from.

Autumn suddenly started to feel a little nostalgic. She missed the salty, humid air and the constant smell of the sea. The breeze and wind through her hair as she sat on the docks and listened to the sailors singing and the seagulls quipping at each other. One day she would go back there.

But for now she would play her gea'tar and dance with all of the children and sing merry songs for those who might want to spare a miza or two.

Autumn Wilde
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Words: 53471
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2014, 9:47 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Devi on July 5th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Devi felt her arm yanked to the side as her little niece Florinne once more escaped her grip in search of the latest excitement to catch her eye. ‘Auntie D’ as she had been named by her brother’s children (apparently Deviana was a bit of a mouthful for those still learning how to shape their mouths in speech) searched frantically for the escaped child, the air of panic rising within her. Her ears caught the girl before her eyes did, the excited squeal drawing her attention to the small jewellery stall set up at the side of the corridor.

In a practiced manoeuvre Devi weaved quickly through the crowds and arrived at Flo’s side before the well-set guard at the side of the stall had time enough to blink. She pulled Flo’s arm back to her side, foiling all efforts to touch the shiny array of baubles on the stall’s surface. Her niece turned to see the source of the disruption, a childlike outrage clear on the lines of her face. She opened her mouth instinctively to protest but stopped at the expression on Devi’s face.

Devi had been practicing this expression. She had noticed that her sister-in-law managed to stop her children with nothing more than a look. It was, ironically, the same look that could stop Devi in her tracks. The more time she had spent with the woman recently, the more she had begun to admire the impact ‘the look’ could have on people. That said, Devi thought she could only really use it now that she understood the motivations behind it.

She poured all of the panic and anxiety that the brief moment of losing Flo had caused into her expression, doing her best to mimic the lines and exact frown she had seen Marianne use. With Flo temporarily silenced Devi used the opportunity to speak.

“We’ve talked about this before Florinne Blackwood.”

The little girl frowned at the use of her full name but held her tongue.

“You do not run off without me when we’re out in the city. Otherwise I can’t take care of you and keep you safe.”

Plus your parents would never trust me with you ever again...

To her credit, the little girl looked abashed and twiddled her feet.

“Sorry Auntie D. I’ll ‘member I promise.”

Devi crouched down and used a finger to gently lift the girl’s chin before she spoke again, more softly this time.

“Promises are powerful things. It’s easy enough to say something but words can be dismissed as easily as whispers on the wind. If you promise something you must act on it, else your promises will be worthless to all you encounter.”

Flo nodded seriously. Though the full concept was quite complex for a six year old to understand, Devi at least always tried to communicate the base element of it; keep your promises. With that done she nodded and picked up her little niece, giving her a warm squeeze and turning to the jewellery stall. After much animated discussion and a bout of negotiation with the stall vendor, Devi’s purse was 45 silver mizas lighter and a delicate silver chain encircled Flo’s neck. A small silver pendant hung on the end of it, an intricately detailed hammer. Devi smiled, thinking that Ronan would appreciate his daughter’s choice.

The pair moved on, wandering around the city in what was an unusually leisurely day for the doctor. They ended up at the Syliran Theatre Square, somewhere Devi hardly ever visited. Flo, on the other hand, dragged her parents along at every possible opportunity, delighting in the array of performers and buskers that the Knighthood hired to entertain the populace.

It was towards one of these performers that a gaggle of children were gathered. The laughter and sound of singing caught Flo’s attention and whilst she pulled on Devi’s arm, this time she did not seek to escape. Instead Devi was pulled towards the young woman, singing and strumming away on a familiar looking gea-tar.

With a smile on her face Devi recognised the fresh, pretty face of one of her patients - particularly memorable woman that Ronan had rescued out of the icy corridors last Winter and summoned her to treat. As the song finished she caught the woman’s eyes,

“Autumn?”

ReceiptSilver Pendant, -45SM
Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Autumn Wilde on July 12th, 2015, 2:02 pm

As Autumn finished her song the children around her either moved to the other side of the theatre where the trio of performers was or stared expectantly at her waiting for something else. The little blonde girl, Sara, was still by her side. The musician stood and adjusted her strap a bit and just as she was about to start up another song, the sound of her name drew her attention away. She looked up in surprise and almost couldn't believe who was standing in front of her.

"Devi?!" She exclaimed excitedly. Never could Autumn forget the beautiful face of the woman that saved her life in the previous Winter. Her hair was up in a braid again, and she seemed to be enjoying the sunshine. A smile was spread across her face making her eyes light up and Autumn couldn't help but grin back. A small girl was tugging on the doctor's hand and Autumn smiled in her direction too. She wondered if the girl was possibly Devi's daughter, she didn't remember asking Devi if she had any children throughout the time that she was being nursed back to health.

It had been a full season since Autumn had seen the lovely doctor, but she supposed she hadn't really been searching as much as she could have been. Devi was a doctor after all, she was probably busy all the time with several patients. Most of Autumn's Spring had been spent working out her freshly healed arm and working. Still, it was so nice to see a familiar face in this crowded city.

"You look wonderful Devi, I see Summer been good to you so far." Autumn commented on the healthy appearance of the woman. Now that she was standing so close to her, the musician realized they were actually almost the same size in stature and height. Autumn stepped forward, swinging the Gea'tar around to her back, then bent down so she was around the same height as the little girl gripping Devi's hand.

"And who is this gorgeous little lady?" The musician asked, aiming the question at the girl but still speaking as if she were talking to Devi, "That's a beautiful necklace." Autumn added, noticing the small hammer pendent hanging from a silver chain around the girl's neck. It looked fairly new and quite costly. Her own necklace was nothing compared to it.

Autumn Wilde
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Words: 53471
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2014, 9:47 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Devi on August 2nd, 2015, 4:06 pm

“This is-”

Devi began to introduce her little niece but before she could even get started Flo was already interrupting, quite happy to introduce herself thank-you-very-much.

“I’m Flo. Who are you? This is my necklace of a hammer that’s like my pa’s only smaller and shinier so I can wear it all the time.”

Devi just grinned. As she caught Autumn’s eye, she elaborated.

“She’s Ronan’s oldest. I made time in my appointments to take her out for the day.”

Once more Flo made herself heard, little neck craning up to look at them both.

“We went through all the markets and looked at all of the different things to buy and we got sweet-cakes even though I’m supposed to tell ma that we had proper food for lunch. I’m not sure why ma thinks that sweet-cakes aren’t proper food but she tends to get mad when I have a lot of them but they’re really tasty and Auntie D always gets me some!”

Devi laughed. Flo was practically vibrating with energy. She was a handful at the calmest of times. With more than a few sweet-cakes she could barely contain herself from jumping around everywhere she went.

“Take a breath little one, you’re supposed to be pretending that naughty Auntie D hasn’t been feeding you sugar all day.”

Flo stopped jumping, a sizable pout forming on her face before she remembered what had drawn them both over here in the first place. Her eyes caught on Autumn’s pretty gea’tar and she whirled around the back of the young woman to see it closer.

“What’s this called? It’s really pretty, how long did it take you to learn to play it? How does it work?”

Devi watched for Autumn’s reaction. Her niece was a lot to take in all at once, hence Devi’s nickname for her – Flo-storm. Still, from the crowd of children the musician had gathered around her, she would have no trouble keeping this little one entertained for a while.
Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes