PM to join The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Firenze meets Melody

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on June 28th, 2015, 9:43 pm

16 Summer, 515 AV

Sliding into her seat, she grabbed the mug of ale on the table. It was her first time here, but the day had warranted a stiff drink. She’d tried her hand at hunting again today and things hadn’t really gone as planned. The scratches her forearms weren’t deep but they stung well enough. Thankfully, she’d stopped what she was doing when she’d realized that she’d tried to grab the animal from a cockabur bush. It’d taken hours to pick them from her hair, the most frustrating time she’d ever had with her hair, even when her hair was usually a tangled mess it wasn’t as tedious as picking out the cockaburs.

She’d had to wash and apply some of the golden powder before she came out and that took her even longer to get ready. So by the time that she’d gotten to the bar, her lunch missed and still running around to live another day, her stomach growled hard and loud in protest. The barmaid had brought her beverage, and when she’d asked to get some food the woman pointed to the sign behind the bar, “That’s all we got.” She couldn’t exactly afford to spend money carelessly as it wasn’t coming in as fast as it was going out, but she needed to eat, the beverage would do for now but it wouldn’t sate the hunger long.

Fire was already there, already had a drink, she might as well finish it and then look elsewhere for food. She looked up as it felt that eyes were on her, and they were. One brow lifted as she looked around, eyeing the few other patrons. Some of them looked away, others didn’t and openly stared. She hadn’t noticed before but she was one of the very few females that were in there. It didn’t seem like anyone was making a move toward her but as the same time she had an unease in her stomach.

Keeping her eyes on the room, the wall to her back as she wobbled in the chair with one leg too short, she placed the mug to her lips. She’d not tried kelp beer before but she’d hoped that it was similar to the ale that she’d had in Sunberth. Taking a pull, the salty liquid flowed into her mouth, she choked it down in one gulp. The scent of fish, salty water and other very potent mixtures that she didn’t know flooded her nostrils, it felt as though she practically stuck her face into the ocean and sniffed. Sputtering a little, she coughed and tears came to her eyes. The stuff was potent. Some of the people who’d been watching her chuckled at the reaction.

Others | Firenze | Thoughts
Last edited by Firenze on June 28th, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on June 28th, 2015, 9:50 pm

She didn’t look toward them, not wanting to give anyone reason to come over. The taste wasn’t actually that bad, she liked that it had the fishy taste to it, it almost felt as though she just took a bite out of a fish. It was definitely a lot saltier than a fish and that was something that she was not used to, but the heat of it’s alcohol hit her empty stomach quickly and started radiating from her core. It was definitely potent in more ways than one.

The door opened then and a woman walked in, her white blonde hair whipped around from the draft of the door. She glanced around the room, surveying the area and headed toward the bar. Fire watched her for a moment, slowly sipping on her drink. The woman seemed as much out of place as she was. She talked to the woman behind the bar, sighed heavily and pulled out a seat. Fire’s eyes narrowed, wondering why she seemed to be disheartened. A sad look had passed across the woman’s features and then was quickly replaced with indifference. If Fire hadn’t been watching her so closely she might have missed it. Brows furrowing she looked around at the other people and they were now watching the woman at the bar instead of Firenze.

That gave her some relief, but then she realized it almost seemed to be a game for the regulars; watch the newcomers order, taste their kelp beer and then guffaw at their reactions. Amusement was taken from wherever they could find it. Her own eyes turned back to the woman, wanting to participate in the new and interesting game. The woman had indeed ordered her own beverage, the barmaid sliding it over to her. She watched as the woman sipped from the mug and then began coughing hard.

Fire covered her mouth, not wanting to laugh too loudly and give her amusement at the woman’s expense away. Hand firm on her mouth, shoulder’s shaking and eyes turned up at the corner she turned her head away trying to hide it. Taking a deep breath, trying to hide the giggles, she turned her eyes back toward the woman, she was doing the same as Fire had done and was looking at the other patrons, realizing that they knew what her reaction was going to be to the beverage.

Last edited by Firenze on June 28th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on June 28th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Seeing as she was one of the only other few women in the bar, Firenze’s conscious making her feel slightly guilty at having laughed at the woman’s expense, she picked up her beverage and slowly slid her chair back. She walked over to the seat next to the blonde and sat down in it, grateful that it wasn't as wobbly as the one she'd just left behind.

“I had almost the same reaction, it appears to be a game for some of the locals… to watch newcomers try the kelp beer,” Eyes forward, her hand still on her beverage she brought it to her lips and took a sip. “Yeah, it appears so.” The woman’s words were soft and if Firenze’s hearing was a bit better than most she may not have heard her response.

Turning in her seat, she looked at the woman, “I’m Fire,” she stuck her hand toward the woman and noticed that the woman flinched slightly. That intrigued her. Why would she be scared of her? The woman didn’t take her hand, so fingers curled back into her hand and she dropped her arm back down. Curiosity started to get the better of her, “So what’re you doing in a bar like this?” The blonde looked over at her out of the corner of her eye and her brows knitted, “Are you… trying to pick me up?”

Fire’s eyebrows flew up and began laughing, she held her hands up at the woman, “No, no! I was just trying to be friendly. There aren’t many other women in the bar and I just thought you might like some company.” The blonde woman stared into her drink for awhile, not saying anything. Fire accepted that she wanted the company but wasn’t wanting to talk, so she turned in her chair and faced the bar again, taking another drink. They sat quietly, giving each other silent company as they both drank their issues.

Last edited by Firenze on February 7th, 2016, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on July 12th, 2015, 1:14 am

The Kelp Bar turned quiet as they both mulled over their thoughts. The atmosphere was not as craic as the bars in Sunberth had been. It seemed as though those who were wanting to relax after a long day came to relax. Turning around on her seat Firenze looked at the others that were in the bar. Everyone had gone back to their calm chatter with their table mates once they realized they weren’t going to get any more entertainment from the new people at the bar. Her eyes then drifted back to the woman that was at her side. Short white blond hair hid soft golden eyes. Golden eyes.

That made Fire paused at that for a moment. Was she kelvic too? Or were there other races that could have golden eyes? Could pure humans have those eyes as well? Brows furrowing slightly she kept watch on the woman trying to get a read on her. It was difficult because she rarely moved and never said anything. Withdrawn into herself, no emotion showing on her face, Fire had no clue what the woman’s intentions for being in the bar were. She decided to ask to find out, curiosity always getting the better of her.

“So, I’m sorry if my intrusive introduction offended you. Let me reintroduce myself, I’m Firenze,” this time she didn’t hold a hand to her but instead offered a polite smile, “May I ask your name?” The woman eyed her skeptically from under her lashes and out of the corner of her eye, her head still facing her mug. “Melody.”

It wasn’t a very loud response but Fire picked it up, she could hear a hint of something in the woman’s voice but was unsure what. Sadness? Fear? “It’s nice to meet you. I came in to relax and have an ale, I suppose it’s working pretty well so far. It seems to be more potent than the stuff in Sunberth.” Fire laugh softly at her bad joke and tried to make polite conversation, to let Melody know that she wasn’t going to try anything funny. It had just been so long since she’d had an actual conversation with a woman other than work that she’d almost forgotten what it was like.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on July 12th, 2015, 1:16 am

Melody didn’t reply and instead sipped slowly on her kelp beer. Turning back toward the bar, brows furrowed she wasn’t sure what else she could say to the woman other than outright asking why she as there. The corner of her lip caught in her teeth she decided to give it a try, “What brings you in?”

Another look from the corner of her eye toward Firenze, she sighed softly, “I’m looking for someone.” It wasn’t much progress, but it was progress none the less and Fire took that as a good sign. She wasn’t going to let the lack of words deter her from trying to make conversation. “Oh, who are you looking for?” It wasn’t as though she would know the person, but it helped to keep things moving along. For a moment she wondered if she could talk the woman into paying her to look for the person. It was possible, difficult, but possible.

Her eyes still on the other woman she noticed her shoulders slump a little lower, almost in defeat. It was subtle but because she’d been watching Fire had caught it. A few moments ticked by, Melody then tucked her hair behind her ear and gave an answer, “I don’t what she looks like anymore… I don’t even know if she’s in this city. Her name's Genovieve.”

A soft hmm came from Fire’s throat and she rubbed her mouth with her hand. Not knowing any real information on the person she seemed to be looking for did seem quite problematic. Unsure of where to even start on looking the woman seemed to have some kind of plan in place if she was going around asking. Fire thought the name mind be useful but only to a certain point, people can change their name on dime if they wanted. She hoped Melody had some kind of idea what she may look like in any kind of way, a name would be difficult to go off of by itself. “You don’t know what she looks like?”

“Well… she looks like me. It’s my daughter I’m looking for,” pushing away the beer Melody sat back in her chair and looked over at Fire. Her eyes were light gold, her features were soft with a small straight nose and full lips, a small birthmark dotted just above the left side of her mouth. For a moment a pang struck Fire in the heart, a moment of longing saddened her eyes for the woman who was searching for her daughter. It made her wish that her mother would look for her… if her mother was still even alive.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on July 12th, 2015, 1:17 am

Sighing, she let go that moment of emotion, already having come to the fact that her parents had given her up and were not going to come after her a long time ago. However, her past gave her motivation to want to help the blonde sitting in front of her. Even though Firenze couldn’t have her mother, why couldn’t another little girl have hers?

“If you want, I’ll try to help you find her. Are you from here, do you know the city?” She didn’t know if Melody was a Zeltivan or if she was just traveling but Fire had already started to learn some of the streets and hope that could be of some use. She wondered if she could ask Bitzer or Palaren for help. Staying with Palaren Fire knew she could ask him when she got home, but she didn’t know if the Wolf still resided in the city or not, not having seen her since departing from the ship when they’d arrived last season.

In Sunberth she’d heard that Bitzer was an investigator of sorts and thought if anyone knew how to find someone it’d be her. Another thought came to her then and made her unsure if she should actually ask for help, she already owed the woman for pretty much saving her life. At the same time Fire didn’t really want to give up her hard earned coin for someone that she didn’t know either to pay Bitzer to find the missing person. Maybe she could just point Melody toward the Wolf to get help, if she was still in town.

If she wasn’t available then Fire could try doing the legwork and see if she got anywhere, but really all she could do would be the same thing Melody was already doing. However getting paid to split the workload to look for a child seemed appealing.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on July 22nd, 2015, 3:46 pm

Melody stared at Firenze for a moment, her eyes searching the woman sitting next to her, determining if she should speak with her anymore that she already had. A shift in the chair, a slight turn toward Fire, “I’m from Syliras originally. Zeltiva is vaguely familiar, I was here a long time ago as a young girl,” a soft sigh escaped her lips in reminisce. “I wouldn’t mind help, but I’m not going to pay for the aid if that’s what you’re trying to get at. I can do fine on my own,” a hand grabbed the mug in front of her and she took a swig, a cringe crossed her face as she swallowed the beer, a sputter and then spoke again, “I have my mother’s help in searching if I really need, she can’t get around like she used to but I’m sure if time starts to pressure us, she’d be more than willing to help.”

Fire pressed her lips into a hard line, slightly bummed that the woman wouldn’t pay for services to search for the girl. Turning back to the bar, both hands on either side of the mug, she sat silently contemplating her next move. Should she help the woman? She had things of her own that were needing to be done, but an adventure of finding someone sounded enticing and exciting! The coin would’ve been a definite added bonus, but would she want to help without it? Elbow resting on the surface of the bar top, she brought a hand up to her mouth and rubbed at it. What to do. What to do.

Finally, she came to the conclusion that she would help for only a little while, although the effort wouldn’t be as strong as if she were being paid, she’d still make an effort. If her mother had been looking for her Fire hoped that people would aid her in her quest to make the process go faster. If being the keyword. In all the years that she’d been at the orphanage no one had come for her and even her trying to continue living in Sunberth, no one had come. Her moving to Zeltiva, other than the fact of the broken bond, was a way to finalize that no one would actually come look for her and that her mother and father had no interest in finding her.

Dropping the hand back to the surface, a slap as her palm hit, “I’ll help. You don’t have to pay me.” Golden eyes turned to her side, a tilt of the head. Sad eyes met hers with almost a feeling of… relief? The woman was extremely difficult to read, her ability to mask her feelings much more advanced than Fire could tell. Sometime a flicker would come through when the woman’s guard would drop briefly but then it seemed as though she would catch it and the wall shot back up, ridge as ever.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on July 22nd, 2015, 7:24 pm

The two sat in silence again, the action becoming a habit of them sitting at the bar together. The bartender came back over checking to see where they were on their drinks, peering over the rims and then walked away. Fire stewed in thoughts of where to begin with the new task, Melody with thoughts of why the strange woman next to her even wanted to aid in finding her daughter. Firenze wondered how to approach the unusual situation, never having to search for someone before. Asking the women at her work might be a good start, as long as she did it discreetly and not while they were busy.

Another thought popped into her mind, her roommate may be able to help. He was of the waveguard, didn’t they see a ton of faces everyday? Would he be willing to keep an eye out for a woman of the description that she was looking for? She made a mental note to ask. Never having done any of this before, she felt that she had a fairly good start to things. Inquiring people with the description may lead to some clue of where to maneuver next in the investigation.

“Do you mind if I ask a couple questions?” Fire asked of Melody, wanting to see if there might be any other kind of information that she could go off of. A little list of questions that might help started running through her mind, waiting on the response she tried to repeat them, to not forget.

“If you’re going to help, then I suppose you have the right to ask questions.”

Steepling her fingers together, Fire tried to put them in order before asking the woman, not wanting to make things confusing. “So you told me some what of what she looks like. How old do you think she would be now?” Watching Melody she tried to keep her eyes focused to see if there would be the drop of the carefully placed veil, to flash some kind of emotion or give away as to what the woman might be feeling or thinking. Something more than the words that came from her mouth.

Last edited by Firenze on December 7th, 2015, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Firenze on July 22nd, 2015, 7:26 pm

“Well…” a grim line set on Melody’s face, “I would think about three or four? She was only a few months old when she was sent away. So any kind of defining features I’d be unsure of now that she’s older. I know that she had blonde hair and eyes similar to mine, a light golden color.” Melody paused for a moment after having given the description, her eyes narrowing at Fire, then with a shake of the head she took a swig from the mug in front of her.

“I can’t tell you much more than that. If anything you’d actually need to speak with my mother. She was the one who’d sent her away,” a sadness crept into her eyes again, aging them years ahead of her actual appearance. Fire’s heart sank and went out to the woman next to her. She knew that pain, the pain of losing a loved one and not knowing where they were. Her mind turned to Dor’gen briefly and then it dissipated as quickly as it came. Although the pain was still there, the ache was dull and it had become easier to move on. She’d always care for him, wonder where he was, what had happened, but she’d finally come to the acceptance that she’d not see him again.

“I’m sorry to hear that, I hope it was for a good reason,” she wanted to reach a hand out and comfort Melody, but at the same time she didn’t think that they were to a point where she’d be comfortable with that and decided against it. Hoping that the tone of her voice carried that comfort that she wished to pass on to the woman sitting on her left.

Then as she watched, Fire noticed, Melody’s demeanor changed completely. It wasn’t subtle as it had been before. The air around her seemed charged with anger and pain. Surprise lit Fire’s features, curious as to why the switch had happened so quickly. Was it something that she’d said? Her question was partially answered with a response from Melody.

“Yes. A very good reason.” Her brows furrowed and a grimace was on her face. The feeling she was giving off cleary told Firenze that it was about time to end the conversation and let the woman drown the anger in drink. Pulling the mug up to her lips, she finished of the brew, tossed the five silver onto the counter for the bartender. A cough came, trying to clear the burn from her throat after having downed the last bit of beer.

“Alright, well. I’ll be here in a few days. I’ll ask around and bring you what I find then. If you could bring your mother and then we can try to figure out some more details, maybe narrow down where the girl might be.” Screeching of wood on wood, as she slid the stool back toward the bar, Melody threw a hand up in a wave of sorts. “I’ll see you in a few days then.” Her attention never leaving her beverage or the countertop. Fire almost felt a pang of pity for having put her in such a sour mood, but then it wasn’t her fault for the things that had occurred out of her control.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Lost Daughter [Pt I]

Postby Ball on December 6th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Well written thread! I kept getting distracted and had to re-read it several times. That's okay though as I had a few things I wanted to keep reading anyway.

Please mark your request as graded and as always PM me with any questions of concerns.

Skills
Observation+2
Socialization+1
Interrogation+3

Lores
  • Kelp Beer: Tastes like the Sea
  • Kelp Beer: Really is Potent
  • The Locals Get a Kick out of watching Foreigners try their “home brew”
  • Melody: White Blonde hair, Golden eyes.
  • Melody: Missing her daughter, Genovieve
  • Genovieve: Only a few seasons old when taken away
  • Genovieve: Grandmother sent her away
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes