Open Drink With Me [Seasonal Event]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Drink With Me [Seasonal Event]

Postby Ayatah on June 29th, 2015, 6:23 pm

28th Summer, 515AV

"Aya, I'm thirsty."

The Myrian could not help but release a small groan and roll her eyes. It seemed her adopted son was permanently thirsty or hungry. Or tired, or bored. Or too hot, too cold. Ayatah was quite sure that she had never been quite so demanding as a child. But then again, Myrian children were always so busy with chores, that they never had enough time to realise they were bored or tired until nighttime -- at which point the thing of most import was getting one of the comfier beds in the Longhouse.

"Kuame, we've only been out for five chimes. I told you eat and drink before we left." Despite her frustration, Ayatah's voice as soft. She could hardly blame her son for being thirsty, and it would pain her to do so anywhere. Nevertheless, Kuame fell silent and Aya did not need to look at his face to know he was pouting. Aya sighed. She lent precariously to the left of her mount, releasing the leather satchel of water that hung on the horse's saddlebags. Sittig upright again, she handed the skin to Kuame, who was riding a smaller mount on her right. " We have only one skin of water and if we're to spend the day out, we'll need to find a source of water to refill it. We can... turn it into a game."

Kuame drank deeply, and Aya surveyed him for a chime. The boy rode with more skill than she did, by a long way. She was too tense and nervous on horseback to go any faster than walking, yet Kuame was always itching to break into a trot. Of course she didn't allow him to; visions of the boy falling off his pony and shattering into shards haunted her.

"Thank you, Aya."

He was such a polite boy. Ayatah could not help but smile as she took the waterskin off her son. The flask felt far lighter now, and she twisted in her saddle to search the immediate area for a source of water - a river, a well, anything. Old habits died hard, and this Myrian knew the risks of leaving home without enough water. Even though she was only going on a day out with her son, and not hunting Dhani in the humid jungle of Falynder, the risk of dehydration hung at the back of her mind.

"I think there's something over there." She said, pointing a short way off the Kabin Road. A squat structure stood amongst the grasses and flowers, breaking above the sea of green. "Let's go and investigate."

Ayatah had not seen the well before, but she was still a newcomer to Riverfall and in the process of familiarising herself with the city. The well itself looked well maintained; there was no mould, moss or filth around the bricks of the low structure, but Aya was still cautious. Stagnant water could carry diseases, after all.

Upon closer inspection, the Myrian's confidence only shrunk. The water within the well looked... off. Instead of being dark or blue - or even green in hue - it looked red. Her immediate thought was blood, but when Ayatah reached down and skimmed the water with the tip of her finger, the liquid felt cool and too thin to be blood. When she raised her damp fingers to her nose, Aya smelt nothing untoward. Perhaps the water was flavoured with some sort of spice? It seemed unlikely, but then again so did red water. The realms of her possibility were already being called into question. She chewed her lip.

"Aya, that water looks funny!" Kuame, with the innocence and excitement of a child, giggled and tried to mimic his mother in touching the water. The boy couldn't reach by a long way, but he didn't seem fazed. In fact, something else caught his eye. "Look, there's a cup!

Indeed there was: and this added to Ayatah's confusion. Clearly, whomever had designed this well had intended on someone to drink it -- but why? Poison, perhaps? But as Ayatah gazed into the shimmering reddness, her mouth began to dry and swallowing became tricky. She was suddenly extremely thirsty, and not for the warm water that was contained in the waterskin, but the cool red liquid that winked back up at her.

Immediately she reached down to the cup, clasping it and filling it to the brim. Before Kuame could tell her careful Aya!, the Myrian had raised the cup to her lips and drank. The water was cool, perfect, as it ran down her throat. It tasted no different to every other drip of water she'd drank, and yet it was utterly delicious. Ayatah did not stop drinking until every last drop of her cup was empty.

And when she lowered it, Ayatah wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

Only it wans't her hand anymore. Whatever she had touched felt bristly, furry. Horrified and confused, she stared at the back of her hand in shock. It too was hairier than before.

"Aya!" Kuame cried, his voice a mix of amusement and shock, "you're a man!"

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Merevaika on July 4th, 2015, 6:25 am

Merevaika drained the last of the waterskin, the water now rather warm and not the cool, soothing water of before. A little trickled down the side of her mouth, and she wiped it away, the liquid cook on her hand. Strapping the waterskin back to the yvas, Merevaika continued forward, still hot and thirsty. Eryunt flicked an ear back, tail swatting a fly. Denviel had his tongue out, panting. The sooner they got to a water source, the better.

Merevaika squinted her eyes. She could just about make two figures in the distance, one fully grown, the other a child. They stood by what seemed to be a well. Merevaika instantly pushed Eryunt into a run, racing to the well. She was thirsty, and there was water there.

Fumbling on a running horse, she pulled out the waterskin, readying it to be filled. Then drained, then filled, then drained again. Merevaika was unsure on exactly how thirsty she was, but she knew she was thirsty. So were Eryunt and Denviel, they would drink some too. In fact, perhaps they would drink the well dry!

As they neared, the figures became clearer. The boy had dark skin of a foreigner, but the name of his race was lost to her. Beside him stood a man, which he looked at with shock and confusion. Merevaika payed little more attention to them until she had reached the well, quickly filled her waterskin and taken one large gulp.

It was only after that had she realised that the water was a red colour the colour of blood. The liquid itself hadn't tasted any different, but its appearance clearly was. She turned to her companions, noticing the almost empty cup in the man's hand.

"What is this?" she asked, suddenly surprised by her voice. It was deep, like a man's voice. She brought her hand up to cough, trying to clear her throat, befoe noticing new hairs on her hand and arm, thick and unnatural. Unnatural for a woman. Not for a man.

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ayatah on July 12th, 2015, 4:00 pm

The next few chimes were probably the most terrifying and confusing of Ayatah's life. Her dark eyes opened wide, her mouth fell slack as she stared down at her body in bewilderment. Slowly, the Myrian roved her hands around herself, taking in the distinct lack of feminine curves on her chest and waist, the thick beard on her face and the mannish lump on her throat. She swallowed, and the bulge twitched up and down her gullet. Her left hand trailed lower, past her firm abdominals and down to her crotch. When Aya's fingertips felt some foreign - but impressively sized - bulge between her legs, she let out a terrified little yelp.

"By Myri's na-" The whispers in Myrian did not belong to Ayatah, but a stranger. A stranger with a thick, deep voice. And yet the words had come out of her mouth. She clasped her hands to her lips in horror, only to retract them away sharply as she felt that horrible beard yet again.

The realisation of what had just happened was also finally dawning on Kuame. He now looked fearful; brows creased up and mouth pouting. What had been rather hilarious mere ticks ago was now the source of great concern for the boy. His own mother had changed into a complete stranger, though Ayatah still wore the same clothes as before and still featured her own eyes and lips. "Aya? What happened?" His voice was timid, on the verge of crying

The Myrian shook her - no, his - head desperately, trying to avoid speaking in that strange deep voice at all cost. Aya had no clue what had happened, but he knew what had caused this sudden and disturbing change -- that red water. Slowly, Ayatah turned back towards the well, only to realise with horror that someone else was drinking from it. Though her face was currently dipped downwards to drink deeply from her own hand, Ayatah knew this stranger was (currently) female.

That changed when the woman looked up from the well. The face that now stared by at Ayatah was not a woman's, but a man's. The change had been instant, like a blink of eye or a magician's trick of the hand. One moment, female. The next, male. The impossibility of this occurrence racketed through Ayatah's mind, conflicting with every ounce of common sense the Myrian possessed. And yet this nonsensical thing had happened.

What is this? The transformed stranger asked Ayatah and Kuame in a voice typical of a man. Had he not seen the individual before the transformation, Aya would never have guessed that he was actually a she.

"I... don't know." Ayatah replied, wincing at every word that seeped out of his bearded mouth. "I'm actually a woman." He added pointlessly, gesturing to the mannish body below his neck. A look of pain flickered across Aya's face and he glanced back towards Riverfall, now a distant memory full of feminity and simplicity. Utterly overwhelmed, and at a complete loss as what to do, he turned towards his male. "What should we do?"
[/color]
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Merevaika on July 14th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Merevaika was still herself. She had to be. She still had her own mind, her own emotions, some of her own features - she even wore her own, feminine clothes! But the body was wrong, the opposite of normality. The drykas had grown a beard, and there was thick hair on her arms and most likely legs. Gone were all signs of her ever being female, and all that remained was being a man. According to her - or would it be his, after the transformation - companion, they were also female, at least originally.

"And the boy.. is he a girl?" she asked, gesturing to the small boy that stood startled beside her companion. The gesture was in fact a Grassland sign, something she did automatically : Changed? But was that the right word to call it? How much had they actually changed? She shrugged off the thought. They had definitely changed, at least in appearance.

"What should we do?" Ayatah asked, seeming to have no answers of his or her own. Merevaika shrugged, the answer also unknown to her. Perhaps the effects would wear off, perhaps they would be stuck as they were forever. A future in the wrong body flashed before her. Would they ever be able to adapt to the change, or would they always feel this confusion and unfamiliarity?

Merevaika had too many questions, and didn't know who would be able to answer them. "Drink the water again? May be it turns man to woman, as it did woman to man? Or look for cure?" The words always seemed unnatural in common, but in this voice, they didn't seem right. Merevaika shook her head. Riverfall might hold answers. They had wizards there, and knowledge, it seemed. She glanced at the waterskin, half full, before filling it again. For some reason, she thought it would be useful to have enough with her. At the very least, she could sell this magic water. Perhaps someone would buy it.

With that thought in mind, she took out another waterskin, filling it to the top. Maybe she could sell it. Or give it to someone to study. Maybe they would be able to uncover how to reverse its effects. She hoped so. She really did.

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on August 7th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Kuame twirled around towards the new woman, a look of utter shock and disgust on his face. "I'm a boy!" He cried, his voice cracking in fear. Quickly, he turned to Aya, "I'm still a boy, right?"

"You're still a boy, Kuame." Aya replied mildly, suddenly feeling quite envous of the small child and his fixed gender. Grumbling the newly-made male peered into the red well. Without speaking, Ayatah once more picked up the cuppola and filled it with water. Again he drank every drop, and a look of hope flashed across the Myrian's face before he said, "Have I--?" Ayatah gave a gruff sigh as it became evident from the tone of his voice that no - he was still a man.

Ayatah watched the newcomer fill his - her? - waterskin with the mysterious red liquid. It was a good idea, though Aya was still too unfamiliar with Riverfall to know where best to take the sample.

"We should... go back to the city?" His suggestion was tenative, but at least in Riverfall there would be other people. There was something comforting about a crowd. Ayatah glanced to Kuame who, despite his mother changing into a man before his very eyes, still looked completely unfazed. He turned back to the stranger. "My name is Ayatah, by the way. Or though, perhaps it's best if I take up another name now." He tried her best to smile at his poor attempt of a joke. Now was not the time for laughter. What if he stayed a man for the rest of his life? Aya did not know how to function as a male, from the simplest tasks such as choosing clothes to more complicated matters such as urinating.

He sighed. This was not what Ayatah needed, or had expected, to happen. Who would? He had never heard of any type of magic that had the capabilities to turn a woman into a man, or vice versa. Perhaps, now he thought about it, the water only turned females into males, for whatever twisted reason. He raised a hand to drag a hand through his hair, but gasped when he realised that his normally long, lucious hair was not closely cut to his skull.

Lucky I didn't choose to wear a dress.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Merevaika on August 27th, 2015, 11:40 am

The small boy who accompanied her companion filled with fear, voice trembling while checking that he remained his gender. She assumed he hadn't touched the water. While Merevaika wanted to see what would happen, she didn't ask, not wanting to offend them. She watched hopefully as the woman-changed-to-man tried her suggestion, drinking and drinking the red water in hope that it would reverse the magic that had taken place.

"We should.. go back to the city? My name is Ayatah, by the way. Or though, perhaps it's best if I take up another name now." It lost Merevaika, a little. The first sentence was an idea, a statement, but sounded like a question. Perhaps she had misunderstood the common in question. Or Ayatah was just confused. The rest managed to filter into her brain just as slowly as the first statement-question. "Another name?" she asked, as if trying to clear it up, while she believed that she understood fully. No, she didn't. It was he who did.

"I was called Merevaika, but you right," she offered her own name, thinking of one to replace her. The answer was obvious as soon as she thought of it. "But now, To'res." Her brother, reincarnated in the place of his sister. Was this what he would have looked like if he had lived?

She turned, starting to make her way towards the city, realizing that her horse and dog had been with her the whole time. Denviel bounded up to her, sniffing her curiously. His eyes looked up, echoing the look that Eryunt also held. "Merevaika, why do you look different?" The Drykas repeated the sign from before, adding a few more.

Changed, strange magic, don't understand either, she spoke silently, the very actions bringing reality into the situation. Well, more, than before. They followed her as she walked, and she turned to Ayatah and the boy once more. "Coming?" she said feebly, deep voice wobbling, and forcing a smile. It would be alright.

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Konrad Venger on September 19th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Merevaika

XP:
Observation - 2
Logic - 1

Lore:
Riverfall Location: The Blood Well
What Can Change You, Can Turn You Back
Taking My Brother's Name as My Own (For now)
Seeking Answers from The City

Click Me! :
It's a shame nothing came of this, because this was both a funny premise and you REALLY pulled it off well! I liked the general confusion and then the logical, understandable steps you started to take to adapt and get answers.

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4