Kissing Cousins

Adelaide's love life gets even more complicated

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Kissing Cousins

Postby Adelaide Sitai on July 17th, 2015, 12:09 am

4th Summer 515AV
Patisserie Novak
Early Morning

"Novak..." Adelaide frowned at her reflection in the mirror, passing a hand testily over her neck, yet not able to stop herself from a small smile of disbelief, "You've damaged me."

"Mmm, indeed."
Novak Draer kissed her gently on the mark he had just made in the soft crescent of flesh between her jaw and her ear, "I won't do it again."

"Liar."

"You know me so well."

"But, really..."
Really, it was embarrassing in such a prominent place - a choker would be too low, and in Summer it would be ridiculous to wear such a high-necked top, to cover it. She'd have to style her hair differently for the next few days.

"I'm just marking my territory."

As Adelaide was about to sharply protest that she was not his territory, and that she completely objected to being labelled as such, Novak pulled her away from the mirror roughly and wrapped her into a close embrace.

"I'm sorry." he muttered breathlessly, kissing her roughly, "How can I make it up to you?" Novak was teasing her and, as he pressed his body against hers, she was wary of his readiness to tip her back onto his chaise longue again.

"You're not sorry. You're not a bit sorry. Now, I really have to go."

"Not before breakfast."

"I have work to do in the city."

"You're not leaving."

"Novak..."

"No."

And, as she had predicted, he tipped her backwards. Immediately, she raised her arms to push him back, which only seemed to make him more ardent. As he kissed her shoulder, she tried to surreptitiously pick her dress up from the carpet with her stray left hand, conscious that her right was trapped slightly underneath her.

"Novak, really. You have work to do too."

"It's of no importance."

As he pulled her up by the waist and cupped a hand around her knee so that she was forced tightly against him, the dress slipped from Adelaide's grasp, which she noted with a sigh of irritation.

"You're hurting me."

He didn't seem to listen as he continued tracing her collarbone with his mouth.

"No, really. Your leg is digging into me."

"Hmm."

He shifted slightly, but didn't seem particularly apologetic. With a little sigh of frustration, Adelaide let her head fall back against the armrest. Novak was really getting too much for her. Every time she was with him, she was wary that he might be about to ask her to marry him and, every time she told him that she wasn't in the mood or tired or that she had other things to be getting on with, he seemed to be silently resentful, often making a cynical comment that might have been in jest, but likewise might have been the mark of a certain rejection of her excuses, which he would often ignore anyway.

"My father is expecting me. What time is it?"

"It's not even the seventh bell, so why the hurry?"

Why the hurry? Adelaide genuinely didn't have an answer. Neither for him nor for herself. Why was she keen to get out of there and enjoy a morning walk before the day got too hot? As it was, Novak's ardent fondling was pleasant and showed a certain skill - indeed, Novak was a good lover - but was only making her uncomfortable.

"Speaking of your father, when can I speak to him?"

"Why?"

"Can't you guess?"
He looked up and winked, "You like Riverware, don't you?"

Adelaide didn't like the turn the conversation had taken. She also felt it would be callous to admit that she didn't very much like Riverware, which she found rather too rustic for her tastes. She smiled weakly in response to Novak's grin.

"I can't swim, though."

"That's not necessary and, anyway, you'll learn."

Adelaide was unconvinced and even her weak smile faltered slightly. He started kissing her again and this time, she managed to push him away.

"Not yet, alright?"

She stood up and picked up her dress, before crossing over to the other side of Novak's study and slipping it on without a word. She couldn't accurately describe what she was feeling, if not a certainty that she would not marry her lover.

"Then when?" Novak's voice had taken a slightly bitter, sarcastic tone and, as he stood up and crossed over to her, she felt herself falter slightly. He held her chin between his two forefingers and forced her to look at him. He raised his eyebrows and his mouth twisted slightly into a smirk, "You're such a child."

"No."

"You're a fool. Would you rather wait around for your Uncle to announce he's picked a suitable partner for you?"

"That will not happen."

"Yes it will. You're such a silly girl. You always have been, to a certain extent - melodramatic, foolish, headstrong, childish, but sometimes I forget. I forget just how silly you are."

Adelaide batted his hand away angrily before saying, her voice stiff, "I have to go now."

"Silly goose!"
he crooned, taking her roughly by the arm, "If you were trusted to your own devices, you'd be entirely self-destructive. Honestly, though, I find that side of you very appealing. It's charmingly vulnerable."

Adelaide flushed and attempted to move away, but he kept his grip on her arm, "Now, stop being silly and stay here a bit longer. Where's the harm?"

"You're being a brute."

"Don't call me that."

His grip tightened and a flash of anger passed over his eyes. Novak was, after all, very intelligent, well educated and cultured. It was only being brought up a dynast that had given him such a poor handling of rejection. As he made an attempt to pass his hand up her skirts, she pirouetted out of the way, spinning on her heel and ducking.

"I'll see you soon, alright?" Adelaide said with a wry laugh as she opened the door, "Have a lovely day."

And, offering him a wave, she fled the room.

Fountain Plaza
Seventh Bell

Adelaide loved Fountain Plaza. She loved it when her Great Aunt Sylvia was there, for Sylvia was a talented and interesting conversationalist, a woman with many stories to tell. She loved sitting on one of the plush, white seats, feet dangling in the water as she watched the performers dance. It was there that she had arranged to meet her Father before they went about finding the entertainment for a little party they were throwing in honour of some rich merchant or other... either way, it was on a small scale and it was important because this merchant was excellent business.

"Adelaide!"

Adelaide looked up at the sound of her name, but could not find the source of the voice, which was strange because, at that time in the morning, Fountain Plaza was relatively deserted.

"Adelaide!"

This time, Adelaide heard the voice more clearly and turned her head around to smile at her Father's young cousin, her sort-of Uncle Ivan.

"Ivan!" her face broke into a grin, a grin to match her Uncle's own charming smile.

"How are you?" he waded over, through the water, "Do you mind if I sit down?"

"Of course not. I'm thrilled to see you. We haven't spoken in days..."

"Seventeen."

"Really? That long? What a good memory you have."

It was then that she noticed he was looking at her neck. She flushed slightly and possibly drew more attention to the little purple bruise by putting her hand over it. Ivan had flushed too and looked away.

"Yes. That long."

His eyes flickered back to the spot and Adelaide felt like she could see a flicker of sadness pass over her relative's eyes - did it sadden him? If it had not been for the flush, he would have seemed slightly pale.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing."
he looked straight out, not letting his eyes rest on hers for a moment, "How's Novak?"

"I don't know. Ask him when you see him."

"I don't want to see him."
Ivan had spoken the last quite brusquely, which was unlike him.

"Cheer up. You look miserable." Adelaide said with a laugh, splashing him with water.

He also laughed and splashed her back. For the next five chimes, oblivious to the fact that they were in public, the two Sitai played a silly game of splashing each other without truly getting each other wet until, finally, Ivan grabbed Adelaide by the wrists so that she could not reach the water. She burst out laughing, which made Ivan smile and flush slightly more.

"Don't be embarrassed!"
she smiled, noting the blush, "I'm not laughing at you."

He flushed even more and was loosening his grip on her wrists. As soon as he loosened enough for her to break free, she immediately sent a mini wave of water over at him. He grabbed her wrists again and she giggled.

"Be careful. I can still use my feet."

She was about to demonstrate and Ivan, sensing the danger of getting even wetter than he already was, pushed her back over onto the seat. Adelaide was trying not to giggle, but couldn't help it. It reminded her exactly of when they were children, when they had play fights, in spite of his being three years older, and when they practised 'defence' just in case they ever needed it. Adelaide looked up at Ivan, trying to see if she could see the same recognition of their childhood games in his eyes but, to her surprised, he actually looked quite woeful.

"What's wrong?" The expression on his face was illegible.

"Oh, nothing. Your hair needs cutting. Not that it doesn't look lovely - I mean, it always looks lovely. As do you. I mean,"
Ivan paused and licked his lips slightly, "You look beautiful."

"Thank you."

"But your hair does need cutting."

"I'll come by the salon tomorrow. Or maybe in a couple of days, I'm not sure."

He nodded and let go of her so that she could sit up. He leaned back into the seat and, after a moment, Adelaide joined him, resting her head against his shoulder.

"How is the salon doing?

"Oh, it's doing well."

"Excellent."

His voice sounded slightly strained and, when Adelaide looked up, Ivan's eyes were closed.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Alright."

For the next ten chimes, they sat in silence. A bird was singing very loudly not far from them, which seemed to rile Ivan slightly, but which Adelaide couldn't admit to minding. She hummed along for a bit, which made Ivan smile, and made up some of her own words, words which might work for a bird song. The Plaza was still mostly empty. Every now and again, they could see someone or a couple of people passing by, but it was rare.

"Adelaide..." Ivan still had his eyes closed.

"Yes?"

Ivan opened his eyes and turned towards Adelaide simultaneous to her turning towards him to look up at him, and they suddenly found themselves looking straight at each other in close proximity, which made Ivan blink slightly and Adelaide chuckle. Still, he looked dreadfully serious and Adelaide couldn't help but wonder what terrible news he was about to impart. Maybe there was some health issues in the family? Maybe his mother, Sylvia, was having problems? Ivan was still looking straight at Adelaide and did not say a word.

"Adelaide, I..." there was a moment's silence then, before she could say anything and taking her quite by surprise, he leant in and kissed her.

To say Adelaide was shocked was an understatement. It took her a moment to realise what was happening as he pressed his lips tenderly against hers. For a few ticks, she was immobile, silent, unsure of what had just happened and starting to wonder where it had come from, if there had been any signs and why she had completely missed them. Then, she started to feel a gentle heat overcome her, like a warm swelling and, in spite of herself, she brought her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. Encouraged by this, Ivan's kisses became more urgent, passionate and deeper. Adelaide had lost all sense of what was going on and just sat there, responding to her first cousin once removed and his caresses in a state of perplexed reverie. She'd forgotten where they were, forgotten they were in public. She only wished she could have forgotten how closely related she was to the man she was currently locking lips with and enjoyed the sensation, enjoyed the desire that was growing in her. Instead, she felt confused and her mind was occupied by hundreds of voices telling her to push him away and demand to know what was going on, and why he felt that that was at all appropriate.

Finally, he broke away, but only to swear hoarsely under his breath, "Shyke." Adelaide took the opportunity to place her hand gently over his mouth, halting him in his tracks as he attempted to lean in again, his eyes misty and the pupils seeming to swallow up irises.

"Ivan..." this time it was her turn to flush. She wanted to asking what on earth he was thinking, but couldn't quite bring herself to, "I know it's still early but, truly, anyone could see us."
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Kissing Cousins

Postby Estrellir Konrath on September 21st, 2015, 4:35 pm

Adelaide Sitai

Rhetoric +2
Observation +2
Socialization +1
Flirting +2

Novak Draer: Possessive lover
Rhetoric: The art of finding excuses
Novak Draer: Cannot accept rejection
Ivan Sitai: Kissable cousin
The moral conflict of kissing a relative

Notes

While it’s another example of Ade’s refreshing and quirky personality, somehow I had problems deciding on skills and lores to award in this thread. If you feel anything is missing, let me know! PM me with any questions or concerns!
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)