PM to join Flora Fiends [Naiya]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Rufio on August 27th, 2015, 1:26 am

15 summer 515AV
10 bells

Rufio wiped sweat from her brow with her forearm as she halted just beyond the outskirts of Endrykas. Syna's rays beat down fervently on the Grasses ahead, and the sky above was a glass orb of pristine blue, not a fluffy cloud to offer the respite of shade. The half-blood had arisen late that morning, still, she intended to spend her afternoon on a forage for herbs to practise brewing healing concoctions with.

Her green aspirations had been on her mind this season, more than usual. Nineteen Summers old without a husband, even a strider, she was becoming self-conscious of her mismatched place among the Drykas. The half-blood's heart longed to make her life meaningful to her father's people, her hands only knew one skilled way how.

Rufio's benshira mother, Evelyn, had left behind her a journal when she passed into her next life. Within it's soft-leather bindings were pages and pages of painstakingly detailed botany sketches, and neat shiber flowing from right to left. Every so often the paper marked with lilac or pink or yellow stains left behind by pressed flowers once kept between the pages.

Rufio had chosen to wear an embroidered dress in the Summer daze, and simple woven sandals, to combat heat-stroke. Her darker complexion would save her from the worst of sun-burn, at least, although if this weather were to keep up, she'd soon find herself more dotted with freckles than she already was.

With a deep inhale, Rufio began into the Grass. It wasn't long before an odd, nagging feeling of something missing began to tug at her conscious. As if she had forgotten something. With a disgruntled groan, she halted, again, and checked in her backpack for whatever her intuition meant for her to discover.

Dread, cold, swept over the half-Drykas. Her mother's journal was not among her things. Her heart was gripped by that horrible, terrifying panic one feels when they misplace their dearest of things. Her dark eyes implored the dry, cracked ground for help. Where is it?! Did she drop it?! What way did she come?! She retraced her steps haphazardly, roving this way and that.

No use. It was not there. Quite frantic, Rufio grasped her short, thick crop of hair in her fists and tried to think. Maybe it isn't out here? A soothing thought cooed. Yeah, that'd be right, Rufio. Empty-head. Her grass-sign self-chastised. With urgency, the half-Drykas raced back to her tent.

When she stepped in under the shade, she cared little for the relief it brought from the day. Her hands pulled apart her bedroll and blankets, tossed aside shabby cushions, lifted a faded rug, threw open the chest she used as a sort-of-table, rummaged in beech-wood baskets. No, no, no! Her heart wrenched and dipped, as she sunk to the dirt.

It can't be lost! It's got to be here, somewhere? Her brow was low and creased as she thought, hard. Hold up! Spark of inspiration, hope. Maybe it fell out on the way. A groan rumbled off her lips as she realised she would have to track-back her winding pathway through Endrykas.

This was turning out to be a stressful morning.

Last edited by Rufio on July 27th, 2017, 12:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.
" When you visit a witch bring an offering:
food, tobacco, alcohol, secrets, sex or death.
"
Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Naiya on August 27th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Summer found Naiya seeking fresh greens and seeds to add to their meals, herbs and spices to help flavor and preserve meats, so she had taken out into the sea after her morning business had been seen to. Banti trotted along at her side, happy to follow her out regardless of the purpose of the trip.

She cut through the city, seeking a new section of the grasses to visit, she wound her way through the market, back into the heart of the city, and then struck out through the more closely set pavilions of the city.

As she struck out into the grasses, she scanned the plain, seeking a marker, something to guide her out in the sea so that she could find her way back later. A copse of trees spoke of nearby water, and water would have cattails.

That would be her start, the shade of the trees would be welcomed on the hot summer day, and with not a cloud in sight, she would take what she could get for respites from the weather.

Come, Follow she signed to her companion, as she took out into the grasses, Banti trailed out away, following her at a distance, scouting, hunting. It wasn't uncommon for the cat to go off and hunt down a snack while they were in the grass, snakes and lizards common prey for the cat. If Naiya got anything from the cat's hunts, she was impressed, and rewarding the behavior seemed to be encouraging the cat to hunt more, but beyond that, they had not moved far in their training.

Naiya was watching the feline prowl through the grasses, so she almost missed the tome that lay nestled into a patch of soft green grass. A curious find, Naiya bent to investigate, crouching over the book and opening its cover.

There were writings of some sort, scrolling across the page in a way she had never seen before. It was no language she knew, but there were drawings too, detailed parts and pieces of plants, mosses, barks. It seemed likely this was someone's journal, a well kept one at that.

Surely someone would come seeking it soon, but to leave it lay in the grass was not a good idea, so she picked it up and tucked it into her bag, she would take it with her, and return it to the city. Someone would seek it there soon enough, and the webbers would hold it safe.

She wouldn't do so right away, though, or she wouldn't have time to gather plants and still make it home with time to make dinner. So she continued out to the trees, hoping to find water and perhaps a place to fish. She wasn't great at fishing, but it was always worth a shot.
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Rufio on September 10th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Luck was on her side after all, for as Rufio meandered through the tented city, head bent low, eyes cast to the ground, searching frantically for a sign of the beloved book, she bumped right into a member of her family. Louka Wildmane.

"Oofft!" She fell back, right onto her backside with a painful thud, though the young Drykas male managed to stay standing. "Rufio!" He called in surprise. Rufio looked up at the tall, lanky Louka, with his big, expressive doe-eyes, his wide cleft chin, and his mop of unruly curls, braided here and there in an attempt to look stylish.

Louka was a wiry build, his torso bare, showing off his spiraling, intricate wind-marks, which were emblazoned colorfully across his left shoulder and chest. Attired for the Summer in scruffy hide pants cut off at the knees, and simple low boots that had seen better days. Cris-crossed against his bare skin were leather straps, from which hung twine animal traps and hemp rope. In his slender hand he held a half-spear.

"Help me up, zibri-head!" Tease. Glad to see you. The fellow took her outstretched hand in a firm grip that took those who didn't know him off guard, as he was one so willowy, and hauled her up. "What's the hurry?" Concern. A sensitive man, he'd read her flustered cheeks, the usual easy smile missing from his cousin's features.

"It's my mama's book." Lost. Fear. Upset. She signed rapidly and waved a hand outwards to suggest she had no idea where it had fallen. Louka chuckled, and signed. Aid, help. Though his words teased. "Oh that old thing." Rufio scrunched her nose at him, and signed impatiently- Help, grateful.

Louka acquiesced and fell in beside her a pace or two, turning his gaze to the ground as she did. They made their way at a steady pace towards the outskirts of the city. Rufio's heart sinking with each step they took towards the Sea of Grass. If she had lost it out there, then it was likely that it would remain lost forever.

Louka attempted to reassure her every few chimes...
"Did you check at home?"
"Where do you remember it last?"
"Don't worry, we'll find it." Determined.
"Surely someone else will find it."

Rufio paused after they had waded for some time into the Grasslands and signed with exclamation. "That's it! What if we asked a webber? They'd be able to find it, huh?" Louka genius. Inspired.
Louka shrugged a shoulder and suggested. "I could give it a try." Rufio stared at her cousin in mild bewilderment. He hurried to explain. "Tal'ck has been teaching me a little, y'know, in case." Curse. Death. Future. "I'm not very good, but if we're close by then may-"
Yes, yes! Rufio's hands were a flurry.

Louka smiled, his soft heart happy to be helpful. He was the weakest member of the pavilion, clutzy, butter-fingered, not as strong as the other Drykas men, and poor aim to boot. Yet he was intelligent, perceptive, a thinker, and desperately strove to make himself useful to his adopted pavilion any way he could, a heavy weight of gratitude on his shoulders.

The boy set down his half-spear on the dry grass, and sat beside it cross-legged. He shook off his shoulders as if shaking off distracting thoughts, and took a deep breath as he tried to connect. Rufio, though impatient, decided to sit with the anxiety roiling in her stomach, and settled herself opposite her cousin quietly.

She watched his face curiously for a chime. Then got bored and began to look about herself. In the distance she noticed a figure, a feminine shape. Too far to see any details. Glancing a tick at Louka, whose brow was furrowed much too deeply, his face contorted into a grimace, displaying some kind of desperate concentration. Concentration fairly obviously just outside his mind's grasp.

There is no way he is webbing right this chime. Rufio chuckled to herself, the sound soft and melodic. So, she took Louka's hand and yanked them both to their feet. "C'mon..." The boy, luckily alert to his physical senses, managed to grab his spear in time, questioning- "Hi! What're yo-" Rufio cut his words short by signing in the direction of the stranger-woman.

"I doubt anyone else will have seen it, Ru."
"Louka, trust the gods, ay?" Meaningful coincidence.
Louka sighed and argued, apprehensively. "We shouldn't bother her." Superstition, nonsense. Shy leaked into his demeanor; he, unable to hide it.

Rufio ignored him and approached the stranger with warm confidence. "Hullo." Greeting, friend, help? Her sign was rapid and friendly, as she dropped Louka's wrist from her grasp.

Last edited by Rufio on March 2nd, 2016, 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"
Rufio
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Naiya on September 29th, 2015, 10:43 pm

The water hole she approached was empty for the moment, a surprise, but perhaps there was one closer to the city proper. Or one with deeper waters, because it seemed that this one was quite shallow.

It was in her favor that the water was low, it let her scale out further in search of the plants she wanted, and while the cattails were not yet favorable for picking, there was, however, water plantain, which had a number of purposes, the least of which was eating. It wouldn't feed her family tonight, but perhaps it would fetch a price in the market. Enough to buy some true vegetables maybe.

She grabbed the base of the plant, the grip made firm by the leaves that grew only at the base. It made the plant a bit more recognizable too, the base growing leaves and the tall growth of flowers on the spindly stems. She pulled the root up out of the mud, the shallow water that it grew in serving to allow her to wash the bulbous fruit clean.

She pulled four plants free, rinsing each in the water they grew in, leaving plenty more to continue growing. A close companion to the water plantain was the pretty blue forget-me-nots. They clustered at the water's edge, spreading out into the surrounding grass in abundance.

Naiya was not having much luck. The forget-me-not plants were not great for eating either, although they were indeed edible, they were better use for stopping bleeding or being added to soap to lift the skin. Some women even believed in using it to help tighten and lift sagging skin. She didn't know if it was good for that, but it was certainly good for bleeding, and it would add nice color to a cup of tea.

She picked some of those as well, adding them to the basket she had brought from home. She had a plan, though, because these water plants were all quite similar, and the other plant the grew well in such an environment was speedwell. That was great for eating, raw or cooked it added a peppery flavor to things, and it helped strengthen the body and fend off infections. Her sister often cooked it for her family when someone got sick, to keep everyone else from catching the illness.

It was similar to the forget-me-not, speedwell had small colorful flowers a mix between purple and blue. It was distinctly different in how it grew, though, with small rounded leaves and a tendency to creep along the ground rather than to sprout upwards.

She was in the process of uprooting the speedwell, trying to lift sections without ripping them away from the bulk of the plant, when the sounds of approach caught her attention. Banti was chasing a small snake through the grass, oblivious to the approaching humans. Naiya rose to greet them, not willing to meet a stranger while bent foraging in the grasses.

It was a woman, and her companion, a man who was far less confident than the other. Greetings Naiya signed in response, curious, and willing to help the woman who was clearly a Drykas, but also had a tint of foreign appearance. Not uncommon, Naiya looked much like her grandparents who were pale with light hair. "Good morning," she added spoken word to her exchange, "What brings you out into the sea today?"

They didn't seem to be hunting, and the woman approached with the confidence of someone who needed something, not the approach of one stranger coming across another in the line of work. It left her to wonder what she could possibly do to help the two.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Rufio on October 6th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Rufio released a breath of relief, the woman seemed friendly and willing to help.

Louka signed his greetings, though his gaze was downcast, flickering subtly to take in the red-haired stranger when her attentions were on his half-sister.

He thought she was strikingly beautiful, by the shallow waters as she was, a basket of greens by her side. As if a reflection plucked from Caiyha's visage.

Rufio took in the hunting cat, and the woman's basket, and smiled broadly, her dark-brown eyes seemed at once deep and warm, like cocoa-milk simmering over a fire.

"For the interruption." Apology. "I am Rufio, and this is Louka, Wildmane. I was out near here this morning, and-" Precious, lost. "A book, with dark leather bindings. Very worn, with- uh- strange writing inside." No Pavi, foreign.

Foreign, even as she signed it, Rufio felt that uncomfortable squirm in the pit of her gut, anxious about others identifying her half-cast roots. Her Benshira blood and Drykas heritage sat disjointed within her self-concept.

"And many drawings of flowers." Memory, seen? "By any small chance." Small, hopeful plea licked along her smile.

Meanwhile, Louka spied the cat, Banti. He planted his half-spear to the ground and knelt down to tempt the shy animal a little closer to his outstretched fingers. He liked animals, since they did not mind if he was clumsy or awkward.

Rufio's attention was caught by the greens in the woman's basket, and curiosity permeated her freckled face, almost childlike in its inquisitive hue. "Are you looking for medicine or food?" Shared interest.

Her nose-ring glinted lightly under Syna's Summer touch as she titled her head lightly, wondering what the woman would use the blue flowers for.

Rufio's thoughts and feelings played so expressively across her body and face; an open book.

Last edited by Rufio on March 2nd, 2016, 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"
Rufio
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Naiya on October 9th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Naiya waved away her apology, acceptance, apology not needed the response was only polite and she really didn't mind the interruption.

The question lit Naiya's eyes with recognition, a book written in strange tongue. Hadn't she only just found such a thing? {i]Yes, have seen, found.[/i] "I have it." Apology, did not intend to keep "I found it laying in the grass not so long ago, but I was on my way out here to forage, I was going to take it to the webbers when I returned to the city."

She slid her bag down fron her shoulder with practiced ease, unhooking the fastening and removing the book. While she worked, the woman glanced to her basket of herbs, asking about her intentions.

"I was hoping to find food today, but it seems the plants here have been picked over, these are mostly for medicine, I think." She glanced in turn to the greens, uncertain "I hoped to trade them for food, or maybe just give them as a gift to the riverflower." She shrugged, interested in the subject, but it had taken second place to the book now in her hands.

"This is what I found, I don't suppose there are many people who have lost books in the grass today, but if it isn't yours I can take it with me when I return to the city." She offered the book for inspection, hoping indeed that it belonged to the woman, it would save Naiya a trip.

The man crouched, beckoning to Banti with an outstretched hand. The cat, looking rather unhappy about it, finished her snack of the snake, then crept closer to examine the offered appendage. She sniffed his hand, then settled to sit just out of his reach, looking uninterested. If he should continue to reach for her she would snap at his hand, firmly closing the door on making friends. Banti was not fond of strangers.

Naiya would not correct her on such a thing. At home, in the pavilion, perhaps she would ask that the cat be more polite, but in the wilds of the sea, strangers were not friends.

"Your book is not in Pavi, what language is it?" Gentle inquiry, pardon intrusion the shape of her body spoke one further, offering the woman opportunity to ignore the question if she desired. It was, after all, none of Naiya's business.

Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Rufio on December 28th, 2015, 1:26 pm

"I was hoping to find food today, but it seems the plants here have been picked over, these are mostly for medicine, I think."—Rufio listened with intent and mirrored Naiya's shared interest. Her coca-eyes studied the herbal collection she had just picked.

Rufio used to pick forget-me-nots for her mother when she was sick, to cheer her. She wondered if they had another use or if Naiya simply liked their aesthetics, as she did. The half-Drykas recognised the plaintain and speedwell from sketches in her mother's journal, though she could not recall how they could be useful.

Naiya's uncertainty showed as she spoke-"I hoped to trade them for food, or maybe just give them as a gift to the riverflower", and she shrugged, which made Rufio smile. Naiya seemed genuine; an honest soul.

When the hunting settled to sit just out of his reach, uninterested, Louka grinned mischievously. Amused. He settled his hand on his thigh, and huffed a great breath outward, hoping the sound to startle the cat. Teasing, playful.

"I have it."—Rufio's excited relief as a flurry within her, spilling over into her eager stance. When she saw the book recognition was emblazoned in her smile.

With gentle hands she took it in her palms. The leather was old and worn, and it had been well-read. Rufio untethered the strips of hide binding it together. Within a neat cursive flowed, and Rufio chuckled softly and evidently let out a breath she hadn't realised she'd been holding.

"Yes, this is it." Relief, deep gratitude.

"Your book is not in Pavi, what language is it?"

Rufio peered at Naiya for a chime or two, considering. Unease squirmed somewhere deep within her as she mulled over whether to share that part of herself with a stranger.

The half-Drykas sensed the inquiry was tentative and she deeply appreciated Naiya's insight and sensitivity with it. This endeared herto her, and she nodded.

"It's Shiber." Unease. "My mother's journal. She was a herbalist in her time, and put all of her botany notes in here."

Rufio flicked through the pages distractedly, then took in Naiya and the basket of greens, with inspiration she gushed.

"You must let me repay you for finding and keeping my mother's journal safe!" Much gratitude, precious, heirloom. "Can I help you forage for what you need? Even if we don't find goods for eatin', this will tell us what we can use what we find for."

Syna's light catching on the gold nose-ring she wore as she spoke animatedly. Offer glimmering hopefull and persuading in her freckle-scattered face.

Last edited by Rufio on March 2nd, 2016, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"
Rufio
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Naiya on January 30th, 2016, 1:22 am

The cat huffed in return, altogether more disinterested. The feline glanced to her hunting partner, seeing a shared excitement between the two women. Banti settled her nose into the protection of her paws, content to wait, only the subtle shifting of her feet might give away her intentions.

"Shiber," Naiya tried the word, unsure of her pronunciation. It wasn't a language she had heard of before. Rufio's gratitude was clear, her offer made with an earnestness that warmed Naiya to her instantly.

"I would like that," Naiya agreed, shaping the sign of her hands to relay her warm enthusiasm. Hopefully the woman would feel welcomed, the signing of her hands would declare Naiya as so.

Your name was, hesitant inquiry, "Rufio? Of the Wildmane pavilion?" unsure, polite apology. "I am Naiya Dawnwhisper."

The hunting cat waited, seeking a moment's distraction in the man-who-was-not-hers. She was still unsure of him, but her human seemed calm enough in his presence. Besides, a hairless hunter was hardly a real danger without the weapons of his kind.

The cat remained carefully uninterested, a patient huntress, she sought even the barest hint of defeat in the man before she would take action, as soon as his eyes turned away, or his attention wandered beyond her form, she would leap, her intent clearly to play. His chest was her goal, a bout of wrestling in store for the man unless he managed to dodge her attack.

Favorable meeting, great pleasure, Naiya signed, ending their introductions on a fairly common note. "Perhaps you can help me recall the uses of these plants, if your book has them?"

Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Rufio on March 3rd, 2016, 12:00 am

"{S}hiber," Naiya tried the word, and Rufio sensed the lack of derision she had braced herself for. She relaxed, feeling very welcome indeed, and relieved.

"Yes, Rufio, and Louka is my cousin, of pavilion Wildmane, too." Well-met, Dawnwhisper. She waved away Naiya's apologies; she's so polite, Rufio thought with growing respect. Louka, turned to grin up at the beautiful red-haired maiden with his usual shy charm, and—"Uhff!"

He was laid flat on his back by the feline in one fell pounce, kicking up a cloud of dust from the bed of dry grasses. Surprise widened his eyes, as he peered down at the cat perched dominantly on his chest with arms outstretched and rough-working hands held aloft, unsure what to do about this turn of events.

He laughed, the sound giggling and youthful. Rufio's laughter bubbled quietly as she kicked Louka's hip with the toe of her sandals.
"Don't you have traps to see to?" -teasing.
Louka grumbled something about helping cousins find lost diaries under his breath, while he made awkward grasping motions, his hands hovering around the feline's sleek body, uncertain how to pick her up properly.

Rufio unwrapped the bindings on the book, and flicked through the pages with a flurry, her cocoa-gaze flittering between Naiya's basket and the sketches inside.
"Ah, here-" She held the pages around for Naiya to see the rough sketch of plantain in it. "That's, plantain? Sooo-"

Her dark brows drew together in concentration as she read the Shiber. Her lips shaped the words silently, before she mentally translated them to Pavi, a language she was more native to- "it says the fresh leaves and roots are toxic and must be heated or dried...the roots and leaves can be eaten, if boiled very well-" Apology, common knowledge.

Rufio was self-conscious about reading things Naiya probably already knew.
"Oh, there are lots of medicinal uses here. Leaves help to ward off infections, by drawing them out, and they promote sweating-"
Rufio cocked her head gently, thoughtful.
"-which is especially good in some fevers. Used externally, uh fresh, that is, as a poultice, they are a counter-irritant to the pains of aged bones, and, dried stem bases are grated and eaten for heartburn and digestive problems, washed down with plenty of water. Seeds are astringent and may be used to stop bleeding-"
The half-Drykas brow quirked as she read onward-
"The bitter juice of this plant is a diuretic."
Louka whistled, impressed.

Rufio grinned at Naiya, undeniably happy to have someone to share her interest in herbalism with. As her eyes dipped to the Forget-me-nots, she flicked through the pages again. Though, this time, she shook her head as she leaned her weight onto her right foot.
"Not a thing on those blue flowers. They are so pretty, though, huh?"

"Actually I've see those put in a wound to staunch bleeding once after hunting trouble...I think Farha has put them in a salad once, too, but Raen warned her to use them sparingly. She mentioned they heal eye-infections, I think."
Louka piped up as he sat up.

Rufio shot him an incredulous side-glance, and he shrugged a shoulder—fleeting interest. Rufio quirked a brow, not quite believing the authenticity of his sign.

She did believe that Louka was finding her new-found friend, Naiya, very pleasant to lay eyes on, however, spurring his sudden trivia on Sea of Grass flora.

"
Rufio
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Flora Fiends [Naiya]

Postby Naiya on April 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Naiya only just managed to stifle her laughter, Banti, having found her chance, was now perched proudly on the chest of the man, Louka. The man seemed befuddled, completely unsure how to deal with his predicament. Sensing an opportunity, the large feline began rubbing the sides of her face on the man, scent marking him in her victory.

She let Louka struggle a few chimes more before calling to the cat. "Let him up, Banti." Her tone gentle chiding, but the authority was lost to small giggles. "I'm sure she doesn't out weigh you, but if you can't remove her, I can do it for you."

Rufio recounted the uses of the plants, and confirmed what Naiya had believed. "Leaves for pain and warding infections, dried stem for heartburn, juice as a diuretic" inqury? The term wasn't one she was familiar with, she hoped the woman might shed light on the meaning.

"All useful to the healers, but not good for eating." Naiya grinned ruefully at the two. "This one is called speedwell, do you have it in your book?" She gestured at the slightly different flowers, the grouping of the leaves.

"Or perhaps it's better just to ask you if you know from your book what we might find at the water that is good for eating?"

Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next