Completed The Hidden

Shadyn takes advantage of a hunting trip to explore the Moonlight Escape

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 6:30 pm

4th of Autumn, 515 AV

"Just a bit further..." Shadyn urged Xarrt to rise higher into the frigid air. On these hunting trips, it had become his habit to see how high he could go while maintaining full consciousness. Looking over Xarrt's shoulder, he judged them to be at more than four miles up now. The air was incredibly thin, making him feel short of breath even with his lungs full to bursting. He practiced taking slow breaths taken in a series of smaller inhales. He had heard that this was supposed to give you maximum oxygen...and it worked. The headache that had started up began to vanish, and -- though breathing was far from comfortable -- it was at least sufficient for him to be clear minded.

"Okay Xarrt. Let's head down and find some dinner. I'm sick of rationed food."

They fell from the sky like a stone. The amount of force that the howling wind pressed upon him was incredible, but he clung tightly to the pommel and stirrups, allowing the wind's force to act as something of an anchor for him. No one in Mizahar had any notion of speeds this fast, he was certain. Even most Endals he knew never tried full dives from the height of their utmost flying range. It was HIS thrill, though, and a maneuver that he thought might prove valuable in time. They leveled off five hundred feet up, wending their way between the peaks of The Unforgiving. Shadyn checked the sky briefly, noting the location of the setting sun and the moon, and approximating his location in his head.
Last edited by Shadyn on September 23rd, 2015, 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Shadyn had long been perusing these areas, but always from the sky. He was not a proficient hunter in the least, and preferred to get his food from near Wind Reach, usually. Today, however, he had another goal in mind. He had been reading some books on Navigation and had come across a mention of a mysterious place called Moonlight Escape.

As the sun began to set, an area of about one square mile came into view. To say that is was barren would be an understatement. It was as if a boundary line had been drawn, preventing this small circle from recovering from whatever catastrophe had demolished it. This was where he was heading. They settled down gently on the torn and rocky expanse. Everything was in greyscale…absolutely colorless.

“Xarrt…are you sure that this is supposed to be the mystical wonderland I was looking for?”

Yes, I am absolutely certain. Your mother was a regular visitor to this place…I know it quite well. This is indeed Moonlight Escape…just give it time to live up to its name.

Shadyn shrugged, and began picking his way through the wasteland. Hunting was certainly not an option right here, right now. Something caught his eye, however, and he bent down to take a closer look. It was a small stone…but it was…glowing. Faintly, but glowing nonetheless. It shimmered with a silvery astral hue as he picked it up. Arrmal had taken the time to teach him about every single mineral that was to be found in Mizahar, and though he had never been good at working with them, Shadyn had memorized the geology facts until he could identify any of them by mere sight. This, he was certain, was not one that he had seen before. As the sun continued to sink behind the surrounding mountains, and the full moon rose opposite it, the stone’s brightness continued to increase. It was incredible. A grin broke across his face. After being here only minutes, he had already found a mineral entirely unknown before, at least to most people.

“Lunatite.”

Xarrt’s head popped out from where he had been preening his wing. What on earth are you talking about?

“This.” He waved the palm-sized stone, which was now shining like a small silver flame in the falling darkness. “I spent hours learning every stone in Arrmal’s geology books…and this was not present. Look,” he waved his hand across the surrounding area, where little silver lights were beginning to shine, “they are everywhere. Who knows what properties they may possess, if everything you told me about this place is true.”
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Shadyn spent the rest of that hour filling a small game bag with the magical pebbles. He was so preoccupied with his new find that he never even noticed the grass and field flowers that sprung up around him, or the pond that was forming a few hundred yards away. It was only when he gleefully refastened his bag to Xarrt’s saddle with it glowing like a silver lantern did he notice the change. This was the first truly jaw-dropping experience he had ever known.

“It is…gorgeous. Absolutely stunning, especially in this moonlight. Where is the food you told me about?”

Xarrt spread his wings and rose into the air, hovering just above the ground with long, sweeping flaps. In yonder pond. As far as I know, the fish that live in there are the best food this place has to offer, though there are other creatures present. Keep an eye out, though, because I have seen some predators from the surrounding area come here as well.

Shadyn stripped off most of his clothes and broke into a run, arms outspread as he dashed laughingly through the fields. The grasses felt like silk as the brushed against his skin, and the air was endowed with the warmth of a spring eve, not the chilling night of autumn. It was as if the moonlight had transformed it into a vernal paradise, utterly impervious to whatever weather surrounded it. He suspected that it would still be this way in the depth of winter, or even during the gales that ravaged this area usually.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:44 pm

When he came to the pond, he plunged straight in. The glowing, shimmering waters were soothing, not warm…but not cold either. Again, like spring, they were that perfect temperature that speaks of vigor and new found life, as well as the broken chains of winter. Large fish unlike any he had ever seen casually swam away from him. They were the purest silver he had ever seen, ornamented with swirls and patterns fit for a king’s heraldry. Though he knew that he was at a disadvantage, hunting without his bow, they seemed so unafraid that he was able to draw one of his Talon swords and stab one of them easily. He dragged the nearly five foot long creature it out of the water and set it on the soft sand of the shoreline. Xarrt landed beside him, depositing the clothes he had left at his feet. Shadyn dug into a pocked on his cloak and produced his flint and steel.

Xarrt set a talon on Shadyn’s hands. No, Shadyn. Do not attempt to burn anything from this land. First, there is no dead wood to burn for a good fire, and I have heard that the smoke from the grasses is deadly. Eat the fish raw…you will find its flesh is good.

He attempted to use his eating knife to scrap away the scales…but there were none. He cut into the flesh and pulled out a chunk. The meat was dark in color but surprisingly in texture. Taking a bite, Shadyn moaned with pleasure. It was without doubt the best, most satisfying, most delectable food he had ever touched to his lips. It was savory, yet had undertones of sweetness. The flesh was so tender it melted in his mouth, but it was not mushy. Even the skin tasted fabulous. Xarrt lowered his great beak and began to eat the head and upper portion of the fish, since Shadyn could most certainly not eat all of this by himself. Being an active young man, however, he did put a significant dent in it before he finally leaned back on his arms and sighed. Watching some sort of giant lightning bugs as Xarrt finished picking the bones, he yawned. Scooping up some of the placid water in his hands, he took a long gulp. It was infinitely more refreshing that anything water he had tasted before. He was sure that it possessed some healing qualities. He sat back down in Xarrt's shadow.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Xarrt raised his head and looked around worriedly. Shadyn? Where are you? You were right here a moment ago…

Shadyn chuckled and jested with him. “I’m right here, crazy. Are you going blind, old bird?”

Cocking his head like only a bird can do, he eyed the spot from which Shadyn’s voice emanated, though it was apparent he still did not see him. You drank some of the water, didn’t you?

“Uh…yeah. What’s so special about that? You’ve got me a bit worried here…I mean, it tasted good, but…is it toxic or something?”

Xarrt shook his head. No…it turns the one who drinks it invisible and immaterial…along with everything that is touching them at that moment, usually clothes. Nothing can physically interact with you whatsoever, but neither can you interact with it. It doesn't work in moonlight, though. Either way, this state can only be reversed by taking another drink of water from the Pond of Moonlight Escape.

Shadyn jumped out of the shadow, feeling himself rematerialize, but still ran down into the pond, opened his mouth and plunged his head into the water, gulping several times. “Thank..." he thought for a moment to remember who the god of moonlight was, "Leth that worked! Being invisible is sort of nice, but not being able to interact with the physical world is not. Although…this gives me an idea…”

He strode up to Xarrt and removed the water skin from his saddle. Pouring out its contents, he submersed it in the pond, allowing it to fill completely. Walking back up to Xarrt, he took a swig of his water, then stepped back into his shadow. “Am I invisible now?”

Yes, you are. I think I know what you are planning, Shadyn…and it just might work.

Taking another swig, he was able to tell this time that he was material again. He bent down and refilled the water skin. “That’s what I hope. This pond apparently vanishes in the sunlight…but if I keep it inside this thick leather skin, it will never have any light touch it. Hopefully it will not only remain, but retain is mystic powers. If nothing physical can interact with me, this will prove a valuable backup plan for when I get myself into trouble.”

Stretching, he looked towards the eastern mountains. “One day soon, Xarrt, you and I are going to be flying over those. I think it might be wise to make a short excursion in a few days, especially if this water actually works. For now, though, let’s head back home. Before I go, I want to buy myself a good bow and some arrows. I guess I should bring back some food, though, first.”
Last edited by Shadyn on September 21st, 2015, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:45 pm

So saying, he drew his tomahawk and began stalking through the grasses. They came to just below his chest, so if he crouched down he was entirely concealed from view. If the grasses tasted as wonderful as they smelled, there would be a number of creatures coming here tonight. Xarrt remained with the gear by the pond. In the moonlight, his massive form would alert everything here to danger, and hunting with a tomahawk from the air was extremely difficult, though he had managed to succeed once or twice with large prey.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:45 pm

A snort about a hundred feet to his left was his first indication that there were animals here. From the sound of it, it was most likely a deer of some sort. He knew he was a poor hunter, and thus decided to play things safe. Ever so slowly he peeked over the tops of the grasses. He could see several racks of antlers sticking out above the grass, but the deer were just short enough that their bodies were concealed, and their heads were down grazing. Most likely there were several does here as well, and they would be entirely concealed…thus he needed to tread as lightly as possible. Fortunately, years of pranks on other young Endals had trained him in walking stealthily, and the soft grasses served only to further muffle any sounds he did make.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Coming to a large boulder, he decided that he was close enough and slid his right hand down to the knob on the end of the tomahawk’s lanyard. He flicked his wrist, then methodically pumped his arm until the blade was spinning in a black blur. When he reached the fasted he rotation he could get, he leapt to the top of the rock. Just as he had expected, the startled deer raised their heads and stared at him wild-eyed for a moment. He aimed for the closest buck and released the tomahawk. It made an eerie sound like a ghost’s moan as it flew through the air, then planted itself soundlessly into the creature’s front left shoulder. Though not a kill, it had definitely incapacitated the animal. It let out an odd wailing whine which sent the rest of the herd fleeing in great bounds to the welcoming woods beyond the Moonlight Escape, while it flailed on the ground, attempting to stand up without one of its legs, but failing. Shadyn rushed to the scene, careful to keep out of reach of its tremendous antlers, and drew his Talon sword. As soon as he had the opportunity, he lunged forward and plunged the blade into the buck’s heart. It jerked a couple times, then relaxed.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Shadyn on September 4th, 2015, 8:47 pm

As he sheathed his sword and carefully removed the tomahawk from the shoulder blade, he sighed with relief that he had hit where he did. The scapula bone had served to keep the obsidian blade from twisting during the creature’s thrashing, something that would have surely snapped the blade if it had been imbedded anywhere else without an instant kill. Now that he could see the markings, it was nothing more than a large Kalean Valley Deer, the most common species in this area. He was glad that it was not one of the more usual and aggressive deer that were known to exist in Kalea. He gave a short, birdlike screech, and Xarrt flapped over to him with his gear. Donning his clothes, he climbed back onto the saddle, making sure that the bags of both the bag of Lunatite, as he had dubbed it, and the Pond Water were secure. Xarrt hopped onto the carcass of the deer and fastened his talons on it, then started back towards Wind Reach.

As the Moonlight Escape began increasingly small behind them, Shadyn realized that this was a pivotal point in his life. Up until now, he had left hunting primarily to Xarrt, since his massive talons were far more lethal than any of Shadyn’s own weapons. Up until now, voyaging out of Wind Reach had only been a distant dream. Up until now, the future had been something he had merely anticipated with wonder. Up until now, he had remained a non-descript member of centuries of uniformity and conformity of Inartan life.

Now, his life was becoming something better than he had ever imagined.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Hidden

Postby Brandon Blackwing on September 23rd, 2015, 2:38 pm

SHADYN

XP:

• Riding: Wind Eagle +2
  • Navigation +1
  • Observation +3
  • Socialization +2
  • Geology +1
  • Running +1
  • Butchery +1
  • Hunting +2
  • Investigation +1
  • Tactics +1
  • Stealth +1
  • Weapon: Talon Sword +2
  • Weapon: Tomahawk +1

Lore:
  • The Moonlight Escape: Barren wasteland unless illuminated by Leth's light
  • Lunatite: Strange glowing stones from the Moonlight Escape
  • The Moonlight Escape: Moonlit paradise
  • Effects of drinking the Moonlight Escape pond water
  • Stealth: Grass muffles footsteps
  • How to throw a tomahawk

Other:
+bag of Lunatite
+waterskin filled with pond water
DO NOTE:
The water in the pool only exists when under direct light of a full moon, likewise anything in the container will simply cease to be until it is once more in the full moon's light. He will only be able to use that water at most 3 times a season when under the direct light of a full moon once again. That also means he can't drink from the canteen. He will have to pour it out into a glass so the moonlight can hit it so that it comes into existence. 

Notes:
Sorry about the wait, I had to ask Mirage whether it would be possible to actually store the pond water in a vessel where no light could reach it, as the Moonlight Escape only exists under the light of the moon. You do of course know that already.

Please remove or edit your post in the request thread.
Also please track your newly awarded xp and lores in your CS so both staff and graders alike can keep on grading your threads :)
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

credit goes to Adelaide Sitai
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)