Flashback Watching The Wild Horses

The bonding of Eryunt and Merevaika

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Watching The Wild Horses

Postby Merevaika on September 5th, 2015, 9:19 am

Spring 32nd 507

Merevaika awoke to Alese's arm over her face, the young girl sprawled strangely on her bedroll, hogging all the blanket. The girls, all six of them, shared a compartment in their pavilion, huddled under several blankets and skins, pressed against each other like sardines. It wasn't the best situation, as they often awoke to find the bed wet with one of the younger girls crying with shame, or struggled to sleep as their neighbour had pulled the blanket of them and over themselves, but no one complained about it too much.

Ywana lay awake on the other side of Alese, also uncovered by the blanket, and stared up towards the ceiling, fiddling with a small silver pendant. No one knew where it came from, or who gave it to her, just that her mother strongly disapproved of it. The fight still burned in her memory. Rowena had demanded that Ywana give it to her, to sell or get rid of, but the young woman had refused to, standing still and strong. Rowena had lashed out with anger, slapping her around the face, and although Ywana's cheek had turned red, she refused again.

"You'll bring shame on us all!" the older woman had shouted, disappearing to her work, and Ywana had sunk to her knees, crying. Merevaika didn't understand. Her sister was getting married next season, certainly a reason to be filled with joy and celebration. After all, it was about time. Her first engagement had ended badly with Tunc breaking it off, realizing the Ankal's faults. After that, no one had approached them for her, and she had disappeared for days on end to train with her quarterstaff or sword.

Then, two years later, Tunc had managed to find her another husband, in a good Emerald pavilion. Complications had arisen and the wedding was postponed to much later, but Ywana had never been happy with it. In fact, she had tried to extend the date, coming up with excuses and disappearing to Riverfall for a couple of seasons.

Merevaika rolled over to face her sister, admiring the windmarks spiraling across the side of her face, marking her as bonded. The mare she had bonded to was a strong and fearless strider, with a pale mane and reddish coat, matching the colour of the tattoos.

"Ywana, what's wrong?" the girl asked, sitting up to face her properly. Ywana stared up at her curiously, hiding the pendant away. She shook her head, making the sign for nothing.

Hide pendant, why? Merevaika signed back, not wanting to wake the other girls. Now that she had Ywana's attention, there was no need to speak.

Ywana thought, giving away that she had a real reason that she didn't want to reveal. You said, will look at wild horses. Go now, parents asleep. She avoided the question completely, changing the conversation to something Merevaika had mentioned the previous night. The drykas had spotted a herd of wild strider half a bells ride from their tents, and had mention how beautiful they had looked. She had suggested that she would go visit them, and Ywana had encouraged her, reminding her of their beauty.

Come with?[i]

[i]No, sleepy, take To'res,
she replied, mimicking falling asleep. Merevaika frowned, annoyed that the girl who had suggested her trip away from the pavilion was too cowardly to join her. They wouldn't be gone long, back before anyone started missing them. They would always tell the Ankal that they had gone to see if they could catch something or forage something to help out.

But To'res was a good substitute. He also had a strider, rather annoying actually, and Merevaika was insanely jealous. The boy had rubbed it in her face whenever he could, but he was a good sport, willing to have some fun once in a while. Coward, Merevaika signed as a goodbye, receiving her clothes in the form as a bundle to her face.

She slipped out of an old shirt of her father's, which hung to her knees, and pulled on her clothes, the trousers and shirt she had long worn in, covered in stitches where they had to be repaired. She was glad that her mother let her wear trousers and men's clothing, rather than forcing her in those long impractical skirts and dresses. This was much less unrestricted, letting her run and hunt and ride comfortably and easily.

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Watching The Wild Horses

Postby Merevaika on September 5th, 2015, 9:21 am

The drykas then slipped out of the compartment, making her way across the living area towards where the boys slept. She stood on her tip toes, avoiding any furniture or possession in case she slipped. While the compartments were fairly sound proof, she still didn't trust them, knowing that her parents slept metres away.

She snuck into the boy's compartment just as silently, trying hard not to make a noise. It was much smaller than where the girls slept, only having to fit two, and then later the baby, who was still too young to leave his mother's side. Urdon and To'res lay separately, both with bedrolls of their own. She inched over to the older one, nudging him with her foot.

He groaned, turning over still half-asleep. "Do I have to go hunting? I'll go tomorrow instead," he muttered, and Merevaika kicked him again.

"Shut up, idiot. Do you want to wake the whole of Endrykas, or just the pavilion?" she hissed, and he turned over again, slowly sitting up and rubbing his eyes awake.

"What do you want?" he hissed back, pushing back the messy strands of hair.

Outside, now, she ordered, throwing him his top, an old black shirt that was a little too big, covered in grass stains. He slipped it on reluctantly, leaving the trousers he had worn to sleep in on. To'res followed her out the tent, taking the same amount of care over his footsteps as she did. They made their way towards the horses, who stood relaxing in the warmer weather.

"Now what do you want?" he asked, stroking Tiki, his strider, who had come over to nudge him with his head, "Tiki wants to be groomed."

"We aren't riding," Merevaika whisper-shouted, pushing the Strider away firmly. Her ears pinned back, and she stomped her foot, warning Merevaika not to touch her so roughly again. To'res settled in a comforting position to the horse, stepping in between the two girls, his sister and his strider.

"No? What do you want then? Why did we come to the horses?"

"It's far from the adults. We don't want them hearing us. And if we take the horses, they'll think we went far. We're just going to go for a walk, they won't mind that," Merevaika explained, grabbing his arm and dragging him away from his beloved strider, heading towards the sun just about peeping out past the horizon.

"What? Where are we going? Why are we sneaking out?" To'res began with his questions again, and Merevaika tried to hit him over the head, but he ducked just in time. "Are you planning to kill me and take my strider?" he asked again, this time with a grin. She tried to hit him again, once again the boy dodging out the way. "Missed! That the best you can do?" .

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Watching The Wild Horses

Postby Merevaika on September 5th, 2015, 9:23 am

Merevaika mimed hitting him again, but instead stuck her foot out, tripping him up. To'res stumbled, catching himself in the nick of time, but his sister had already grabbed his arm, starting to run, and he tripped and stumbled after her until he had managed to start running at his own pace.

The two followed a loose trail, dust and worn out grass leading a path into the distance. They ran fairly slowly, pacing themselves, To'res constantly asking questions and Merevaika either ignoring them or answering them by tripping him up or attempting to hit him. All of a sudden she stopped, dragging her brother down behind the tall grasses and sinking to join him on the ground.

"Did you see them?" she whispered, making the sign for strider. To'res shook his head, trying to peer out over the grass again, but Merevaika pinned him down, hand firmly on his shoulder. He could have easily overpowered her, having the advantage of size and muscles, but he stayed, trusting his sisters decision.

"I saw them yesterday when out exercising Maya. They're beautiful, but father said I couldn't come back to them," she spoke slowly, each word barely above a breath. Her hand moved back down to rest on her knee, and To'res rose carefully, half standing, to gaze at the wild herd. Merevaika rose beside him, examining them for herself. There were three mares, two buckskin - pale cream bodies with dark legs and manes - and the third dun with a thick dorsal stripe down her back. With them was a dark grullo stallion, standing furthest from the two onlookers. All three mares had a foal, the oldest not much more than a year and the youngest several weeks old. It was this one that caught her eye, much darker than any of the other horses. He made his way out from where his mother stood, curiously looking around. The dun mare followed, nickering to the others and then to him .

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Watching The Wild Horses

Postby Merevaika on September 5th, 2015, 9:25 am

"If father said not to, why are we here?" To'res asked, realizing the implications of what he had done. His father respected him, trusted him man to man, and he had joined Merevaika to directly disobey his orders. "Mer, please, let's go back."

"Why? Why can't we look at them? They're so noble. "

"We have horses at home, look at them," To'res tugged at her arm, trying to get her to move.

"Ywana said it would be find. My mother didn't complain either. Why do you have to be such a spoil sport. Tell me you don't enjoy this."

"It's not that I don't, it's just..." Merevaika rolled her eyes, turning away, "Fine. I find them magnificent too. But as long as we stay here. If father said not to, then we shouldn't go much closer. "

She ignored him, transfixed by the young foal who was edging his way towards her, staring into her eyes. Merevaika flitted her gaze down, remembering her mother's words: "Predators  stare into eyes, we don't. Don't give the horse reason to fear you, and they won't. "

His mother, spotting the crouching girl, nipped at her son, ears back and kicked him lightly, telling him off for straying towards danger. The horse playfully ran off, making a wide loop before returning to face Merevaika.

Standing up fully, the drykas shifted towards him, trying to approach him from the side. She mimicked a nicker, rather unsuccessfully, but the horse understood that she was trying to present herself as friend, not foe.

"What are you doing?" To'res snarled, staring with disbelief as she tried to approach a wild horse. Worse - she tried to approach a wild foal, surrounded by its herd. "Horses are dangerous!  Even trained horses hurt and injure people and this is wild. Merevaika please, leave him alone. I'm sure he doesn't want to be petted anyway."

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Watching The Wild Horses

Postby Merevaika on September 5th, 2015, 9:27 am

His words were meaningless to Merevaika whose whole attention was on the horse before her. He shifted closer to her, eyes wide and ears attentive, scared but interested. Compelled by an unexplainable feeling, she moved forward, ignoring the warnings from both her brother and the foal's mother.

The other horses had spotted them now, and approached to help, the stallion taking charge over the defensive. The oldest, largest mare nipped at the foals to stay back, getting them out of danger. Merevaika ignored them, reaching her hand out gently.

The mare pawed at the ground, digging up dust, and snorted, ears pinned back and tail swaying swiftly from side to side. All the warning signs were there for the drykas to see, but she ignored them, not noticing the anger and threatening nature of the horse.

All of a sudden, the horse reared, front hooves flying. One hit Merevaika sharply in the shoulder, knocking her to the ground, winded and hurt. To'res, forgetting his previous warnings, rushed forward, darting quickly out of the bushes. The horse reared again, startled by this new arrival, and stamped hard on the ground, nipping at her foal to move away from the danger.

The colt refused to listen, moving in between his mother and the two-legs, stamping and snorting and clacking his teeth to remind his mother than he was still young and she couldn't hurt him.

"Merevaika, why didn't you listen?" To'res exclaimed, helping her sit up, "She struck you - she struck you!" His words were accompanied by a flurry of actions: Idiot, foolish, dangerous, leave, danger, fool, hurry, now.

She shushed him, staring back at the strider. His family now watched him, fully aware of this bond taking place. To'res watched too, although a lot more ignorantly than the horses. The colt turned towards Merevaika sniffing her, before nudging her lightly with his muzzle, checking she was okay. Holding out her hand, the drykas spoke softly, "Friend."

The horse pressed his forehead against her open palm, nickering slightly. Merevaika felt a feeling inside her that she hadn't even known was missing, a feeling of completion, of being together. A feeling of the bond.

"Eryunt," she whispered softly, moving her hand to scratch the newly named colt behind his ear. The other horses had walked away, seeing that this wasn't a hunter, but a human ready to bond, and that one of them had chosen her as his. The dun mare stayed, however, watching her son carefully, just in case. But there was no denying it. Ever since the two had laid eyes on each other, they knew that it was meant to be.

To'res finally realised this, and stepped away, letting them have their time together. A wild horse, and a colt as well. It suited Merevaika, he realised, knowing her wild tendencies and reckless nature. Better a wild horse than a well-trained, gentle mare. This was beautiful. Until he realised what it meant.

Merevaika would have to tell their parents that she bonded with this horse - there was no reason for her to keep the strider hidden. Her mind had ignored the order her father had given her from the beginning, and it was most likely forgotten by now. But he still remembered, and he knew what would happen. After their initial excitement over her bonding, they would punish her for disobeying them. And To'res would get a bigger punishment for letting her go, joining her, and letting her get hit by a horse.

Of course this would happen. To'res didn't doubt it.

"Merevaika, if you return with a wild horse, bonded or not, father will know you disobeyed him," he said, voicing his concerns. She batted him away, not caring. "But then he'll punish me too!"

Rolling her eyes, she turned to face him. "I'm bonded, and you care about being punished? I knew it, I knew you wouldn't be happy! You can't tease me anymore, so you try to get be to give up my bonded strider!'

To'res shook his head, "It's not like that, you understand? My riding and hunting privileges will be taken from me, and I won't be allowed to leave my mother's side."

"All you care is yourself, isn't it? I get bonded, yet you figure you would rather hunt than let someone become truly drykas."

"I care about myself? All I care about is myself? Merevaika, when have you ever put others before yourself? Will you ever? So don't criticize me, okay, because it's a little hypocritical."

Merevaika stared blankly at him, knowing that he spoke the truth but refusing to admit it. It was in her nature, something that made her survive. Without a response, she got up, starting to walk away, the colt following next to her and the mare a few steps behind, ready to join Eryunt wherever the two-legs led him.

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Watching The Wild Horses

Postby Merevaika on September 5th, 2015, 9:39 am

To'res watched them go, refusing to apologize. He had been right, all this time, and both of them knew it. She shouldn't have come to watch the herd, she shouldn't have tried to approach the stallion and she shouldn't have not cared about her brother. But Merevaika was stubborn, and would never admit it.

Slowly, he tailed after them, making sure that they didn't see him follow. He didn't want them to think he had given up.

Merevaika returned to the ring of tents that belonged to her family with a triumphant stance, the colt beside her. Another other horse would have been scared and wary, but as her bonded strider, Eryunt trusted her, letting her lead the way. Four pairs of eyes fell on the girl and her horse, and the mare standing more warily away from the tents.

Ywana smiled encouragingly, hardly believing her eyes. She had never believed that Merevaika would bond with one of the wild herd, but it explained the thing drawing her to them, which she had just taken for a love for horses and curiosity. Rowena, beside her, stared disapprovingly, knowing that Merevaika had disobeyed her husband.

Merevaika's own mother seemed happy, a grin filling her face, and she made her way towards them, signing congratulations, before gently trying to approach the wild mare, comforting her and soothing her with soft and sweet words.

Tunc's expression was the most ambiguous, still, with little signs of emotions. Merevaika tensed, unsure whether to prepare herself to be scolded or congratulated. Finally, he broke into a wide grin, enveloping her in his arms. Rowena scowled further, unhappy that he was greeting her like this.

Once the hug was over, her father stepped back, a stricter look on his face. "We were worried, but Ywana told us not to. Those wild horses are dangerous, you know that?" Merevaika nodded, her hand moving to where she had been struck. Her father noticed the bruise, and clasped her hands in his. "You could have been killed. Don't do that to me, please."

"But I bonded..." Merevaika murmured, unsure what he wanted. Her father smiled, turning to the horse.

"Now, my daughter better be in good hands with you," he spoke with a smile, "No kicking, biting, running away, bolting or hurting her in general - her feelings count too." Then, turning back to Merevaika, "You too. You have a good horse here, treat him well."

"Father, I will, I will!'

To'res appeared behind the drykas girl, head hung in shame. "I shouldn't have let her get hurt, I'm sorry father."

Tunc stared sternly at his son, "No. She may be slightly older, but you are bigger and stronger. You should have kept her out of trouble. But what's done is done, and I'm not going to punish you because if you had acted differently, Merevaika here wouldn't have become a fully drykas member of our society. Next time though, neither of you have the excuse of bonding, understand?"

The siblings nodded quickly, casting glances at each other. Their argument disappeared, no longer valid, and To'res made a quick gesture. Congratulations.

Thanks she replied earnestly, turning back to her father, who was waiting patiently for them to finish.

"A feast tonight!" he announced, "Celebrating the joining of girl and horse."

"To Eryunt," Merevaika added, petting him when she spoke his name.

"No," Tunc shook his head, "To Merevaika and Eryunt!"

Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Watching The Wild Horses

Postby Tribal on September 8th, 2015, 9:58 pm

G R A D E S

Merevaika

Experience

• Observation: 3
  • Rhetoric: 2
  • Organisation: 1
  • Persuasion: 1
  • Stealth: 1
  • Intimidation: 1
  • Socialisation: 3
  • Unarmed Combat: 1
  • Animal Husbandry: 1
  • Logic: 1

Lore

• Culture: Marriage is to be celebrated in Endrykas
  • Ywana: Can't be tamed
  • To'res: A man with so many questions
  • Observation: A wild herd of horses
  • Merevaika: Looking into a foal's eyes
  • Merevaika: The playfulness of a young strider
  • To'res: Horses are dangerous
  • Merevaika: A bond with Eryunt
  • To'res: Thinks Merevaika is a hypocrite
  • Merevaika: Stubborn by nature

Notes

With living expenses on your ledger, can you please make it clear what season and year they cover aka "SE common summer 515", this just makes it easier for graders. Enjoy the rewards!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes