Glyphing and Eiyon questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Brandon Blackwing on September 7th, 2015, 4:20 pm

So, I've been wondering for a while now, but can you actually stuff items with gnosis marks in glyphs? For example the anvil of souls a Gold Miza. I mean, I'm aware that magical items can be put into a glyph, but where do you draw the line? Could you put a glyphed scroll into a glyphed scroll, or is it that the glyphed scroll not magical in itself, but the glyph itself is? (sorry if that was confusing :D ) Then what about magecrafed items? Items marked by the gods? Materials from a monster... say, a journeyman (probably a bad example because of them being fragments)? Some of these I am 90% sure of the answer, but I want to be completely certain, so yeah.

Okay, Eiyon then. The death-vision power, where the PC stands in the spot of a certain person's death, is that a self-mod ability, or is it, just like the specific visions sent by Dira a mod-only kind of ability? And how exactly does the "tracking of unliving" work? Is it like your PC sees a footprint in the sand and they know a nuit has left that print? Or don't they have need for such clues and can just tell a nuit has crossed a certain street recently even if there are no visible/whatever other sense-ible signs someone/something has been there?

Thanks!

-Bran
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on September 9th, 2015, 2:10 am

I don't know about Eiyon, but I think I can answer the glyphing stuff.

The answer to almost all of those though is no. No it can't, from what I've been told and understand of how glyphing storage works. Just because magic has been used on something, its been "magic-ed" through some method, that doesn't mean its djed based and storable.

If I throw a hypnotism spell at you, you've got magic in you, but you wouldn't say I could then store you in a scroll would you?

---

The confusion here is between a magic item, and a item made of/through magic. A enchanted object for instance(almost any world magic), is not inherently djed based or made of magic, so it can't be stored.

Soulmist made via spiritism? Mundane base, made of physical things, can't be stored. Magecrafted items. Djed is put into them, but still they are at their core mundane objects, albeit with extra djed tacked on to make it break the rules.

While the one lore does mention being able to store golems made through animation, I'm not really sure how that fits into other things, or if that is possible in actuality. Perhaps its from an earlier edit, or some other such thing I don't understand. I think the only one who could say that for sure is Tarot, he made the magic, he knows it best.

The only exception in world magics really is summoning, since things summoned are djed based, via the mechanism of summoning itself.

So anything brought across a summoning circle can be stored with glyphing.

Now if it gets to a certain point where that isn't possible, I don't know. Perhaps if you stay around long enough in a world, breathing the air, eating and drinking and etc, taking in nonmagical stuff, then you can't be stored any more after being brought across. I don't know. My theory, there would be a point where it wouldn't be storable, but I've got no idea for sure.

Journeyman can be stored, as they are technically summoned creatures, along with being fragment monsters. So I'm unsure if all fragment monsters can be stored, or only journeyman since the being a summoned thing supersedes that. Not sure.

---

Almost all personal magics, in and of themselves, can be stored, since well... They involve directly using djed for an effect, and so are literally completely djed based. The ones with physical effects, like reimancy, are even called djed constructs. Its why stone transmuted from res via reimancy can be stored, but stone pulled in via attraction can't. (its mundane stone if attracted, so not magical or djed based).

But in personal magic, only the magic itself can be stored. If its used on something, that doesn't mean that thing can be stored.

I throw a hypnotism spell at you, you can't be stored. I shield you, you can't be stored. Now if the item could be stored in a glyph in and of itself, and then it is shielded, then both could be stored, but simply being covered in magic doesn't make you djed based.

So miza's for instance, they are infused/made by a process involving a gnosis, but they still involve putting magic into a base mundane item. So they can't be stored. Same goes, I'd imagine, for artifacts and such.

But I'm less sure on artifacts since well... Artifacts are crazy. Like the difference between a static shock from rubbing your feet on a carpet, and a lightning bolt. They are another order of things, literally touched by a god/goddess. So perhaps they don't follow the same rules. Since they are each more or less each unique, and uber rare, I can't really say for sure.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on September 18th, 2015, 9:54 am

Okay, that was enlightening! Thank you for.your in depth answer Clyde! :)
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)