PM to join Beginning of The Journey's End -- 29th of Fall, 515 AV

Shadyn reaches Endrykas

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Beginning of The Journey's End -- 29th of Fall, 515 AV

Postby Amunet on September 17th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Amunet felt much more assured with the Drykas man standing fairly close by. When the bird took off up into the sky she watched it go up and disappear far into the sky. The dark dot could well blend into the dots of clouds that drifted on the wind. When her vision returned to the Shadyn, he seemed to be stripping away his weapons. This was a curious thing, but her quick mind came to the realization that he was making a statement.

The man spoke his words in common. These words she mostly understood. “Wind Reach. That land very far. “ The name of the mountain she didn’t know much less what a volcano was. “What is this, vol.. “ The girl attempted to say the word volcanic.

It was at that time that Shahar gave her the sign that he did not understand what the strange man was saying. It seemed his common was not as good as hers. ‘Yes, understand, most.’ The girl began translating in word and sign in Pavi to the Hunter what the man had just said about where he had come from.

Shadyn spoke again about why he had come to these lands. The girl listened to his words closely and intently. Amunet lifted her eyebrows to her hairline. “Freedom? Shadyn there is cost to all things. Freedom costs most. The Drykas survive because we stick together. We are one. “ The young lady began and then she offered a polite smile. “One moment, please.”

Those graceful fingers etched out the translation of his common words with a few words in Pavi that rolled off of her tongue like silk off of cool smooth marble. ‘Man seeks new knowledge, Man seeks to forge friendship, Man seeks adventure. The love of the journey is his life. ‘ That was as close as she could get and felt it was a reasonable translation.

Her hand then went to the silken head of her Silkena hound. It was then she noticed the humongous dog flanking the other side. It startled her briefly as she never seen one that big. The big white dog seemed to be on their side. That thought made her feel immensely better. Amunet idly thought a small child could ride the dog just about.

The goofy grin Shadyn provided made her look at him with a hairy eyebrow. Men who are over confident and flaunt it usually was not her cup of tea but she re-schooled her features to be polite. The girl turned to Shahar to further sign. ‘stranger, entry, Endrykas’ What snippets of previous conversations he said and his bird said seemed to indicate that. To bring in a well-armed foreigner with an equally formidable war mount warranted caution.

It was not that she was particularly schooled in strategy or tactics but she was very observant and an eye for detail. That bird would be difficult in a conflict. That was putting it mildly. The way the man was armed and the way he stood from watching those of the Diamond and Emerald clan was very similar in stance and movements. There was this look in his eyes that matched that of a warrior. That too warranted a wary eye.

The act of Shadyn disarming his weapons gave Amunet the softeness of heart to provide compassion, but she prudently looked to the man. The girl smiled to the man, but this was not like when she brings home a stray traveler on foot seeking food, water or medical care. The girl signed as much, ‘what next?’ The young woman raked a stray errant flaming tress over her ear, yet it continued to dance in the breeze. His eyes told her one thing, her cautioned mind said something else, her heart yet said another thing. Hopefully Shahar would have a better answer.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Shadyn on September 18th, 2015, 1:43 am

Shadyn scratched his head as he thought for a moment about his situation. It was obvious that the man...or Ankal...was quite suspicious of him, as was demonstrated by the fact that both he and his wolfish dog had moved in to flank to young woman. That point was not likely allayed by the fact that he apparently did not grasp much Common. At least she did.

He caught her sign "What next?" and realized that it was the man who would be making the ultimate decision. Strangely, though, he could relation to their caution. He had spent years in training to be an Endal, and what's more, as a member of the War Hawks, he was responsible for the protection of his people. It occurred to him that, just as disarming himself had clearly done its job, being honest about himself would also aide his cause.

"Yes, indeed, I truly know the cost of freedom. I do not seek it idly, as one would seek a lost bauble...I seek it as I would a valuable jewel...a treasure. My people are free, but it is an isolated freedom. I seek the freedom of greater unity, the freedom of spirit that breaches race and religion, place and time. You fear me and my mount, and rightly so. I hold the rank of protector of my own people, and can honor your sentiments. Still, would you sacrifice a new and budding friendship of potentially exceptional benefit all in the name of caution?"

He pause here to let his words sink in, brushing aside the large grey feather woven into his hair above his left temple. He began to speak again before either of them could respond, however, to ensure that he had his full expression before they made a decision.

"I do not expect you to abandon the cause of safety. Never would I call another to do what I would never do myself. What I call you to do is to take a chance on the unknown, and see what rewards I have to give. I have worked since my earliest memory. I see no reason why I cannot continue to provide my services here...hunting, protection, transportation. I do not wish to be some idle guest who spends his time chasing women and swallowing strong drink. I wish to blend into your community, if only for a time." He followed this up with a shrug. "In truth, I have never had many friends at my home...I was born under dubious circumstances, and orphaned before I was a week old. In a tight community, that stain tends to stick with you. Honestly, aside from the high status I have earned myself, I have few reasons to stay there. I decided to seek a life...at least for awhile...elsewhere. I hope it can be here for now, if you will accept my humble presence."

She would probably not catch all of the words, but by speaking fluidly he knew he was able to convey more genuine emotion in his voice and mannerisms than in trying to accommodate the conversation. He also made a point of locking eyes with each of them in turn. He knew full well the power of speech contained in a person's eyes. They were truly the "window to the soul" and could easily make or break his success.

Now he waited.

Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Colt on September 26th, 2015, 8:27 pm

The woman, thankfully, seemed to have a far better grasp on the Common tongue than Shahar did. She listened to the man’s words, face a mask of focus that proved she not only heard them, but understood them enough to comprehend whatever the stranger was trying to say.

She reassured him in Sign that yes, she did have at least a basic grasp on what was happening. She Said nothing aloud in Pavi, pointing her attention instead on the man, but her hands continued to flicker with translation. He had come from far away? Not particularly surprising.

Then the stranger spoke again, and the woman responded, freedom and cost marching from her lips cautiously. Man seeks new knowledge, she said to Shahar. Man seeks to forge friendship, Man seeks adventure. The love of the journey is his life.

Comprehend contemplate, Shahar replied.

The woman ceased her motioning, apparently satisfied with her translation, and moved to touch the long-legged Silkena hound at her side. Then, after a brief pause, she sent one more sign Shahar’s way.

What next?

What next? Was she asking him what to do with this man and bird that had dropped onto the Sea of Grass? What in the world could they do? Did they turn him away and hoped that he continued one? He could almost certainly follow them from the sky, and then what could he do to them once he found Endrykas? The city had survived the Zith siege of the past; how would it handle a gigantic eagle?

Was it even justified, turning them away? What if what the man said was true, and all they sought was indeed adventure and friendship? Allies were scarce on the plains, and what allies did end up springing into existence tended to be short-lived. Could the two strangers offer something to the Drykas that others could not?

And more importantly, was it even their decision to make?

Shadyn seemed to know their concerns, and he launched into another monologue that once again flew completely past Shahar’s head. There were too many words, and too many of them were unfamiliar, and so he didn’t even bother trying to listen; if the red-haired woman bothered to translate, he would listen to her, but otherwise there didn’t seem to be much point in attempting.

Shadyn finished, and then he looked at the woman for her response. Shahar took the opportunity to pitch in his thoughts.

“He could danger Endrykas,” he said, low and quiet. “But he could also offer knowledge, perhaps. The Watch must know. I can walk the Web. I can ask them.”
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Amunet on September 28th, 2015, 6:36 pm

The delicate little brow bunched up as the thin arching eyebrows came closer together as Shadyn started speaking. The chin lifted up, not in defiance but in interest and curiosity. There was the gleam in those sky blue eyes would speak of a reprisal if it was warranted. The buy in of the sky warrior’s words was not on her face. That little face was set in determination to protect her people, yet softened to hearken unto his plea. Most of his words were translated and the meaning was translated as well as possible. After the technical word translation Amunet added at the end with those graceful fingers, ‘I think this sky warrior speaks pretty, but I don’t know what this means for our people.’

She chewed on one side of a lip as she considered his passionate words which gave rise to a want to hear more from this man, but the cautionary red flags went up. She would talk to him all day out in the grass. It was just her. This was about the family, their people, the herds, not what she wanted. ‘He does talk pretty though, ‘ in a young wistful voice. The naïve and ignorant often are caught up in throws of emotion like this. Shahar’s steadfast presence brought reality to the situation.

The young woman relayed Shadyn’s words to her fellow Drykas whom she looked to on this issue. Amunet might be free spirited and adventurous but she wasn’t foolish enough to let the wolves at the gate of her city. This was for those of wiser heads than she possessed. Her eyes widened as she caught the low quick words of Shahar and nodded as a concerned expression crossed those delicate features. The girl smiled politely to Shadyn as Shahar made off to go into conference with the grass.

“Call of nature. He return soon.” She said to the stranger with a softer smile.

“You speak many things Shadyn. I not mind long talks of those many things. Decide soon.”
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Shadyn on October 3rd, 2015, 6:35 pm

Waiting was one of Shadyn’s strengths. He could remain utterly motionless for days if need be, waiting on a single action. That did not mean, however, that he liked waiting. In truth, he despised it. Everything he had been taught told him to depend on himself, and act fast, thinking even faster. Over time he had grown to accept this thought process, and preferred for things to move as quickly as possible. Waiting entailed that something was outside of your control, a situation which Shadyn avoided avidly. Nevertheless, it was something he knew he would encounter throughout life, especially if he hoped to expand his horizons beyond the enjoyable but rather “dead-end” life of an Endal at Wind Reach. Thus it was that he had long since learned how to wait extremely well.

The man was not answering a call of nature…not on horseback, unless the Drykas were even more creative riders than he thought. No…something else had to be going on. Perhaps he was surrounded by other riders who were keeping themselves concealed…not a pleasant thought, for certain. The moon was still a good ways from rising, thus Leth’s Water was useless to him, at this point. His weapons were all within grabbing distance, but still…that was little comfort. Though he did not wish to appear combative, he did want to be ready for a fight if one was to come.

Based upon what Amunet had said, and how she had said it, if there was any danger, she was not aware of it. He almost wished that he had met her alone, since she apparently had a curious streak that would have made life easier. Then again, she probably still would not have been able to make whatever decisions were necessary, so that would not have been of much use, in reality. Right now, Xarrt was the only one who would know the situation one way or the other.

Though Nari did not make use of signs, nearly everyone in Wind Reach made use of either Falconry or Eagle Riding to at least some degree, and thus had developed instructional signs for their birds when words would not suffice. Shadyn flashed off the single quick movement that meant “I have instructions. Pay attention.”

Xarrt answered almost instantly, though he did not descend one foot. Yes, Shadyn, what is it?

He signed for observations. With normal birds, this was a difficult task for both Falconer and bird, requiring them to be able to convey and understand dangers, prey, weather, location, and more through a code of various sounds. Kelvics and especially Wind Eagles made communication much easier by being able to use language to describe what they saw. Endal training had taught him this early on, since such ground-air interaction was key to operating as a single unit instead of just an Eagle and an Inarta.

Nothing of note, really. The Drykas who just went into the grasses seems to be doing some sort of meditation. It took me some time, since it was surprisingly well disguised, but there seems to be some sort of large encampment close to the horizon from my point of view…probably thirty miles hence. I would not be surprised if that was Endrykas itself, but it is so close to the horizon right now that I cannot say anything besides that there is a collection of humans, animals, and habiliments.

Shadyn nodded to himself, then gave the signal for Xarrt to continue as he was. During this exchange, he had been staring into the “middle distance,” and now as his eyes fell on the young woman, he realized that he had probably looked absurd to her. He smiled and pointed up.

“I was talking to Xarrt just then. My people – the Inarta – do not speak with signs, but we do use some basic ones to communicate with our birds when they are out of speaking distance or when silence is preferable.” For a moment, he considered asking her why she had lied to him about what the man was doing, but then answered his own question by realizing that it was probably a rite of some significance related to deciding if he should enter or not. Though he prided himself on never lying, he could understand why someone – especially a Drykas, who seemed to be exceedingly wary – would conceal something that was special or significant to them. Thus, he would wait.

Last edited by Shadyn on October 26th, 2015, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Colt on October 7th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Shahar turned and made his way into the grass, trusting the woman to cover for him. Had he been in control of the situation, Shahar would have preferred to roam much further away before doing what he needed to do; the idea of an outsider witnessing the magic was almost unthinkable. But this was important, and there was no time to waste; it seemed that security would have to be sacrificed for speed.

That didn’t mean he would be careless, though.

His first concern when he left the scene of the event was the great eagle Xarrt above them; Shahar knew now for certain that the bird was like Snow, and could thought-speak to whomever he pleased. And he was also like Khida, presumably, with sharp eyes and long wings means for circling and gazing downwards. He could see things, and then he could speak of them; Shahar needed to hide from Xarrt, too.

Shahar combed through his memory, trying to recall the hunts he and Khida had failed. What was it that Khida could not see when she was in feathers and flying above him? It was the thick foliage that she could not see through, where rabbits and grouse and pheasants went to hide. That was what had brought them together in the first place; what she could not see, he could flush out. And now his role was reversed; he now had to take the role of the rabbit and hide from Khida, to keep himself and his knowledge safe from these outsiders.

He found a thick tangle of bushes that leaned precariously off of an overhang, under which trickled a stream. It wasn’t perfect, and his feet would certainly get wet, but it was a small sacrifice; the overhang combined with the leaning shrubs would shroud him from the sky, and he would be able to meditate in peace.

Snow. She made her way to his side, where he stroked her head lovingly. Need you, will be in danger, protect me.

Knowledge-sleep? she asked, her closest term for what she could surmise he was about to do.

Yes.

I will protect.

Shahar leaped into the stream and tucked himself beneath the overhang, where he came to kneel in the water. Snow took up a surveillance position on top of the overhang, where she could watch for potential danger and leap down on it before it her partner could be harmed. Tuka circled them both, somewhat confused but willing to remain there; if Snow was threatened, Tuka would be there to support her, while Akaidras lingered not far away. It was a somewhat patchwork line of defense, but it was certainly better than nothing.

Shahar pulled himself into the Web and left his physical body behind. Flesh and possessions were forsaken for the pure existence of the Web, where he was no longer man or Drykas, only Shahar in the purest form of his soul. The strands of djed around him shivered with the live of a million creatures that Shahar would never have been able to see with his eyes, but that now made their presence known with the ripples that followed their every movement. He let the vibrations sink into him until they had calmed into a steady, interwoven thrumming, and only then did he mark the locations of the companions watching over him. He flickered towards where the woman and stranger still stood conversing, although Xarrt was far too high for Shahar to find. When he was satisfied that all was well, Shahar turned and streamed along the Web back towards Endrykas, where his approach was noticed immediately.

Another soul came to meet him, sensing his distress and already prepared to aid him. One of the Watch, certainly.

Hail, friend, said the soul. Why such haste?

An outsider, Shahar replied. He comes speaking of friendship and knowledge and adventure. He wishes entry to Endrykas, but he is no mere stranger. He rides an eagle, an eagle who can speak and has wings wider than a pavilion.

The soul was silent for a moment, although skepticism was clear in its movements. Are you certain of what you say?

Yes! The eagle is named Xarrt, and he speaks with thoughts. His rider is Shadyn, and they say they come seeking knowledge.

Where?

Shahar conveyed the location.

Another pause, and then the soul flickered away. There were vibrations of more souls, and then it returned. Riders have been sent to investigate if what you say is true. Show me where this is happening.

Shahar flickered in affirmation and began to lead his companion to where he hoped the woman and stranger were still in conversation.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Amunet on October 17th, 2015, 2:15 am

The moments ticked by like a loud thunk in her head as she felt every moment Shahar was away. She knew sort of what he was doing but had no inkling of its dynamics. Here she was left with a rather gregarious and outgoing warrior with an equally imposing and formidable huge fighting eagle. Not that either of them have shown any aggression, in fact the curious thing was that Amunet wanted to know more about these people who seemed to hold these giant birds in high regard as the Drykas hold their striders in high regard.

It was not that Amunet had a penchant for lieing but she would protect her people. The subterfuge did that. She wasn’t very good at it as she fidgeted with her hands while Shahar did what needed to be done. Shadyn’s expression worried the young woman as he didn’t seem relaxed. In fact he appeared to be deep in thought. Maybe he was talking to the great bird of his or strategizing his next step or simply just thinking really deeply. Thinking wasn’t a bad thing, but it did make for a nervous young woman.

“I hope he comfortable.” The polite smile offered though inwardly she was groaning at how horridly stupid that question sounded. Not that the bird wasn’t comfortable up in the air or rather she didn’t really know what made the bird comfortable at all.

Signing was such second nature that the movements she noted of his fingers that he performed were curious. Her brow crinkled slightly as her chin rose up to try and see his finger and hand movements. For those moments she forgot the danger and the apprehension and even took steps to the curious movements. The curious nature had her little face close to his hands. Before she knew it she was standing very close to the stranger as her hand rose to glide her fingers along his own finger ever so gently. “What.. say?” She asked boldly with no thought to that it might be a secret or some hidden thing.

That face tilted up and looked into his eyes with the questing sky blue that sparked a spirit and fresh life of their own. The precarious edge she tarried at did not cross her face as the curious nature took over to surround herself with a thirst to know. Shadyn had a knowledge, a different knowledge that was not known. This spoke to Amunet more than anything, much to the chagrin of the large white dog who was tasked to defend her.

“Tell me of your people, Shadyn.” The girl asked in her soft silken voice.

Shahar returned to where the woman would be in precarious close proximity in animated discussion with the stranger, as animated as their language acuity allowed. It’s safe to say the little lady would not make a very good spy. His weapons were curious as well but the onyx thing was the most curious. The girl picked up the onyx weapon turning it up down, upside down and sideways looking at it. “This most strangely crafted.” The shiney factor was in her eyes as she had to examine every piece that was put on the ground and insist to know what it is. The questions started to pour forth to inquire about the sky people. “What are sky people like?”
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Shadyn on October 22nd, 2015, 10:06 pm

Shadyn smiled at the young girl’s curiosity. It was painfully obvious that she was not being honest about what the warrior was doing…and her comment about Xarrt borderlined on hilarity, though he did not show it. As time passed, however, her inquisitive side got the best of her, and she began asking questions and perusing his accoutrements and people. Though he was not about to answer her regarding what he had said to Xarrt, he was more than willing to indulge her other queries.

"My people call themselves Inarta. In our language, Inarta means 'to rise'. We have carved out city out of the rock of a massive volcano -- a mountain that is filled with fire from the heart of the world. Sometimes it even spews out this fire. Many other peoples fear such fire-mountains and the death they can bring, but it is our life. The land around us -- aside from our spring and summer fishing village -- is nothing but a great and terrible wilderness full of mountains and cold for thousands of miles. We are not generally a large people...I am the largest Inarta of which I know -- but we are a strong spirited race. We are most famous for our eagles; our archers, bows, and arrows; and our glass.

"Our society is built around castes -- social levels. A person's caste is based upon their mental and physical abilities, and your caste can change as these improve or decline. All children are called Yasi, and they are raised primarily in a communal nursery, and are separate from all other castes. Thus, even the most backwards Inarta is well educated. The lowest caste is called the Dek, and these are essentially laborers and slaves, and are generally considered beneath all other Inarta. Above this are the Chiets. These are just commoners...nothing special. Our skilled workers and craftsmen are called Avora, and these can hold official rank. The rulers and nobles, however, are Endals. To be an Endal one must be chosen by a Wind Eagle. We are the highest caste, but also are responsible for justice, protection, care, guidance, provision, and manner other needs of those beneath us."

He would have continued, but she picked up his tomahawk, and he hastily placed a cautionary hand on her arm and warned her in Pavi as best he could.

“Danger! Sharp!”

To illustrate his point, he bent down and snatched up a tiny tufted dandelion-like seed. He pointed at it and then at the blade to make sure she was watching. Dropping it near where she held the blade, it drifted lazily downwards. The instant it touched the blade, it slip neatly in two, each half continuing to fall as if it had not touched anything at all. He switched back to Common, trying to keep the phrases short and simple enough for her to understand.

“It’s called a tomahawk. You can hold or throw. Must be careful, but is useful. I will show.”

He moved half behind her slight form and curled his right hand around her hand which was holding the handle. Gently, Shadyn moved her arm through the various motions he had come to know well – swipes, slashes, swings, chops, pummels, and the backwards hook. As he was teaching Amunet, Shadyn thought about her demeanor. He was surprised at her bravery. In hindsight, having a strange man’s body so close to their own would have scared most women…not that he had even the slightest thought in that vein, but it’s not as if she could know that. Nevertheless, she had not stiffened at his touch, but rather seemed perfectly at ease letting him guide her movements with his own.

It was most likely not the innocence of youth…she was young, but clearly of age. He also deemed that it was not a forward or merely foolish action, since neither of those traits seemed fitting based upon her previous behavior. Rather, he mused, little Amunet was just judicious, and had judged him to be at least somewhat trustworthy, and thus allowed him this liberty. Surprisingly perceptive, for someone so young.

After time had passed, he took the tomahawk from her.
“I will show you how to throw it. There are two ways. You can hold it like this and throw –”

He grasped the handle, pulled back his arm, and snapped it forward, sending it zipping into a large clump of grass a short ways away. Retrieving it, he repeated the action, although he threw it underhanded this time. After he had it in his hand again, he shifted his hand down to the ruby bead at the end of the lanyard.

“You can also throw it like this to make it go farther –”

With a flick of his wrist, he started spinning it. He accelerated it until the actual tomahawk was nothing but a blur and a whoosh, then let it fly straight upwards. It flashed well over a hundred feet high into the air, then began falling back down to the earth. A moment before it hit the ground, he reached out and snatched up the lanyard, deftly halting its flight. He smiled and bowed dramatically, then set it back down with the other weapons when he heard the hoofs of the Drykas man’s horse.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Colt on November 13th, 2015, 6:03 am

The two remained where he had left them, vibrations overlapping and interacting in a conversation Shahar could not understand from where he was. But his companion was immediately on the move, circling the event and gathering information with practiced efficiency. Shahar held back and let the Watchman––or Watchwoman, he couldn’t quite tell––work.

The soul finished what it needed within moments, passing Shahar by with a formal thank you, riders will come before streaking back to Endrykas.

And then Shahar was alone.

Well, not alone; the world around him was shivering with life and vitality, from the soft, barely-audible hum of the grass itself to the short, energetic vibrations of the animals within it. Then there were the two humans, of course, who were deeper and stronger in their sounds and then the animals that stood by the woman. Xarrt was too far into the sky for Shahar to sense, although he suspected that the eagle would not stray far from his companion. Snow rarely did.

A few moments’ searching brought Shahar to discover his own trail in the Web, when he had left the scene with Snow and Akaidras and Tuka to find a safe spot for him to use the magic of the Drykas. Upon following it, he found them just as he had left them; Snow remained vigilant, and his body remained safe.

A moment of preparation, and then Shahar slid back into his body.

He awoke with a gasp as flesh and bone and skin slammed back over him, crushing his senses with the overwhelming array of sight sound smell feel; as much as he admired the Web and what it could hold, he didn’t at all like the sickness he got from coming back.

Snow was there immediately, crouching next to him with concern, what need? Shahar draped an arm over her shoulder as his body was overtaken by prickling fire, reassuring her with a simple wait, will pass.

And it did pass, discomfort fading into needles of tingling, then receding into an odd numbness that would last for another minute or so. In the meantime, Shahar knew he could move now; as long as he got back to Akaidras, he wouldn’t have to do much walking.

Snow stood and allowed the Drykas to use her stance as he hauled himself to his feet, swaying but capable of remaining upright. The two of them left the overhang and the stream behind, and Tuka rejoined them quickly. Akaidras snorted in greeting as they made their way back to him, and then the group was whole once more.

Shahar clambered unsteadily into the yvas, and then the four were moving.

The Web did not give much context for the passage of time, at least, not to Shahar, but a glance at the shadows informed him that it hadn’t been too long of a wait. He caught sight of the other horse first, then of the dog and humans that stood by; flashing a quick greeting, rejoining to them, he brought his strider to a walk and halted a few paces away. He didn’t want to interrupt what they were doing, but he wanted to be close to the woman in case something went awry.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Amunet on November 25th, 2015, 1:45 am

She listened to his dissertation of the basics of the Inarta people. “a mountain of Semele that holds the heart of the world in it? “ The woman tried to fathom such a thing. It was something else also that they carved their homes into this mountain. “Truly a wonder to behold. “ The girl’s imagination was quite sufficient to visualize what he was speaking.

She continued to listen to his tale of Inarta and its caste system. Some of it made sense, some of it didn’t. “Drykas are one people. Our Striders one with us. Bond like eagle. “ That was hard to explain as striders didn’t talk in your head. Loosely feel emotions but not talk. “People have clans. Clans have status and rep… rep.” She sighed as she wasn’t quite sure what that word was. “your actions speak for you ill or good. Some actions meaning scramble. “ She was speaking nonsense. “You are known by your work, clan and bonds. Bond of strider, bond of marriage, bond of kin and kith, bond of friends, Bond of work. All of these things make one known in Drykas . We are strong close people. “ She sighed as she explained the best she could without being overt about inner Drykas psychology.

When she was examining the tomahawk, the man had come around behind her. As a medicine woman, midwife and the very aspect her own nature, the man being close did not cause alarm. He did not give any reason to. The movements of the ax had her attention as she watched carefully the movements he did with her. The red head kept her arms loose and flexible for him to do so. Her excitement over the movements was as if she hadn’t realized this was possible. It was like a new world opened.

She clapped with excitement as he threw the axes and drew it back with relative competency. “I learned slingshot the hard way. I thought I almost broke my nose in the process. Luckily it was just nicely bruised. “ The young lady laughed at herself. She waved at Shahar as he came back with a wide eyed exuberance. The girl signed back a greeting. ‘Come see, excite, new’

She picked up one of the throwing axes as she tried to do the flick wrist thing. With no thought as to technique, she let it leave her hand as it tumbled down to almost take a bite out of her foot. The girl made a face as it didn’t even dawn on her that she just about injured herself. The excited young woman took the throwing ax out of the ground to try and throw it at the grass clump he threw at so well just a few moments ago.

The red head went to release the ax. The teenager had relaxed her hand too soon and the ax fell from her hand to land behind her. The little lady turned and looked down. The gasp of a sigh left her lips as she stomped one foot and put her hands on her hips. That determined little woman got the ax and tried yet again. Her animals now laid out as they were, thought waiting on the ground was better than standing while their mistress worked to make a dent out of someone’s foot.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext