PM to join Know Your Place

Story: The Shimmerstone Ankal negotiates an arranged marriage for Amunet. Amunet is not happy with this match.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Know Your Place

Postby Amunet on September 12th, 2015, 10:20 pm

16th day, Fall, 515 a.v.
18th bell
Endrykas, Shimmerstone Pavilion

What a day.

“Push Lavka Push.” The red headed midwife instructed as she was at the business end guiding the baby as it was being birthed. The wet head came slowly out as the woman screamed her final push as the baby’s head arrived, Amunet turned the baby gently guiding the shoulders to come out more vertical which was an easier path. One more push and Lavka had a fine son born.

The young woman put the baby on a clean cloth that was laid down for her by a helpful daughter. The cord was tied off firmly and was soon cut. She wrapped the baby as she told the woman to lay still as the afterbirth was soon to come. In subsequent birthings, the afterbirth delivered a lot faster. This was a fairly easy birth. Amunet put a cloth on her shoulder as she placed the wailing newborn on her shoulder to weigh and measure the baby. “20 inches and eight pounds six ounces. Big boy.” Amunet smiled to the mother. This was her sixth child, the birth was easy. The red head diapered the baby taking a folded cloth on the triangle and wrapped the little infant’s bottom and privates deftly tieing off the sides. She then swaddled the baby firmly and tightly before giving the still crying baby to the mother.

Lavka put the baby to the breast which was ample and soon feeding the baby with a practiced ease. “Thank you.”

Amunet smiled as the afterbirth was delivered and she packaged it up with the waste and handed it to the oldest daughter who knew how to dispose of it. The journal was marked with the information about the birth, the baby and the mother. The little midwife got clean water and set about cleaning the lady up and assisting her in a change of under garments and padding. “Massage your abdomen a couple of times a day. “ The girl instructed and then went to wash her hands. She collected herself and her things.

“I will be back to check on you and the baby in a couple of days. If you need anything, send for me.” The woman nodded as she turned out of the tent where her husband was standing there. “You have a fine son.” There were cheers and patting of the back. The diminutive young lady ducked out and headed to her strider. She looked back at the domestic happiness. This was a good strong family. The soft smile that lingered on her lips as she departed this Pavilion stayed as she rode back to her own Pavilion.

On the way there, she stopped by the markets. There was a fine display of red and white yarn that caught her eye. The girl stopped and inquired of the trader. “What dye was used for the red? “ The girl asked of the trader as she picked the skein up to feel the weight of the wool and looked at the texture of how the yarn was spun.

“Madder with alum and cream of tartar and a triple batch of older madder root to get a rich red. “ The man said. The man knew Amunet was with the ruby clan of crafters.

“This is a nice red. I will take 3 of red and 6 of white. I may buy more soon.” The girl said as she brought her coin out.

“six gold mizas. It is a special red after all.” The man started.

The girl looked at him as her eyes narrowed. “The season for madder has been good. Three and a half gold mizas. “

The man also narrowed his eyes. “The act of preparing the dye bath alone takes patience and constant stirring. Five and a half gold mizas.” He tried to conjole his way with reason of how much labor it takes to make the dye alone.

The girl smiled. “you can do this cold, it doesn’t have to be heated. “ The girl has been around enough dyers to know how madder is worked. “It is a nice red though, four gold mizas.”

The man sighed mournfully as if she was robbing him. “ it is with pain staking care Amunet. The white alone, how much bleaching we have to do to the wool. Your breaking the hearts of our worthy dyers but I can come down to five gold mizas.”

“well I am sorry to deprive the dyers, but that is too much. Four gold mizas, 2 silver. “ Her arms folded as she looked him in the eyes.

“You’re making a pauper out of me.” The trader exclaimed but he knew she wasn’t buying the act as some would. “done.”

The girl pulled the coin out and the exchange was made. This would braid nicely into Shetanae’s mane and she had something to make a cord for the Zith claw. The girl went to Shetanae and showed her the yarn. “Look, you will be gorgeous.” The girl beamed as she tied the bundle to the yvas and mounted to move onward.

The girl no sooner had the Yvas off of the mare and sent her to graze then Mara was out of the tent and coming towards her. Leia and Camile came to greet her as well as she petted both the cat and the dog respectively. “Mara how has things been today? The boys didn’t give you too much trouble.” The girl said light heartedly. Her older brothers can still play practical jokes.

“No they have been doing what men do to prepare for the hunts. “ The woman smiled with a speculative look. “Have you eaten today yet?” The woman asked with an upturn to her voice.

“No. I was going to make me a quick porridge. Kind of too tired to make anything more than that. I need to get these notes a bit more written out. It was a good birth.” She said as she sat down at her tent.

“Well, why don’t you eat with us. Get refreshed and cleaned up, your apetite will be up and we have plenty.” The woman’s tone was absolutely crooning and conjoling.

The little woman closed her eyes for a moment of patience. “Mara what is it? “ The look she gave the first wife of her father that she was too tired to play word games. Amunet attempted to look in Mara’s eyes.

The woman avoided looking into those deep penetrating eyes of that girl. Amunet had a way of seeing into the heart of things, which could prove irritating. The girl was insufferably stubborn and too independent. “Nonsense, lets get you cleaned up.”

“Mara I don’t need help cleaning up. What’s going on?” The girl said with a flare of irritating fire.

“If your patient, you will find out. “ Mara relayed with both eyebrows going to her haire line as she went into her things to look for something suitable.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place

Postby Amunet on September 20th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Amunet’s anger was measured by how tired she had become. Those gentle blue eyes gleamed with blue fire. “Get out of my stuff!” The young lady said rather strongly and her voice raised.

Mara shushed her giving her a glare. “Where is that green dress you bought?”

“Mara evenings are too cool with that dress.” The young lady countered.

“Pish posh. You will be near the fire so no worrying about cool evenings. Come come. Get undressed we need to clean that hair of yours.” The woman then fingered her hair looking at it up and down as if evaluating it for the first time.

“Mara I don’t want to be on display. What, by the gods is going on?!” The little woman demanded as her fists were balled.

The woman put her fists on her hips giving her an exasperated sigh. “We are having company from another Ruby Pavilion. You must look your best as representative of the Pavilion.” The woman of course was not telling her everything.

Amunet glared at her and very well knew she was holding out. She was way too tired to even say anything any further as she became the object of a great deal of scrutiny as Tula came into her tent to help with getting the wild child cleaned, scented and polished up. They braided the top of her hair but left the bottom part hanging loose as her red hair was long and beautiful.

“Oh yes the green becomes you well. I will have to remember that. “ Mara and Tula seemed to be proud of themselves.

“Yes, she needs a simple necklace or something. Otherwise what man could resist this.” Mara shooed her away. Tula went back to take the baby from the Aunties.

“You stay here as dinner is almost done and the guests are arriving. I will have you help me bring out the main platter. “ Mara gleamed and clapped her hands together as the plan was coming together.

Once Mara had exited, Amunet took the white yarn she had purchased and cut three lengths of it. The girl then knotted one end and started braiding it. She had been doing simple braids since her hair was long enough to do so and her mother showed her how. End over end tuck under and over the other end. She kept the sequence tight as she baided the length to make a braided white cord with a knot at the end. Her dagger cut the excess. The Zith claw that she got in the caves she wrapped the center of the cord around it three times and then knotted behind the claw. This was then secured around her neck where the claw stood proudly against her chest.

“Amunet!!” Mara called out.

“Coming!” The girl patted her dog and cat each on the head and went into the pavilion cooking area. The communal platter was made with today’s catch as it seemed her uncles and brothers had been busy. Mara saw the Zith claw. “Where did you get that?”

“The caves I told you about.” In a rather infuriating reasonable tone, the girl looked Mara right in the eyes when she said it.

She sputtered as she knew what that was and looked Amunet in the eyes. “I don’t have time lets get this out to there. “

Amunet lifted her side easily enough as it was piled with food. She went to work and helped her place the platter in the center. She provided polite smiles to family and guests alike along with an equally polite nod. There was an older man that was speaking with her grandfather. That must be who the fuss was. The girl looked for other men. Oddly there were two women, probably his wives and that was it. Maybe she was dressed this way for appearance. Yes that was it.

The industrious girl got a jug of drink and started filling cups starting with her Ankal and then their guest. “This is my granddaughter the one I told you about. Amunet, this is Pratal of the Turningleaf pavilion. Their textiles are very good.” The Ankal indicated to the older man who’s cold eyes leveled on her. The girl thought she felt a chill run down her spine as those brown almost coal black eyes spoke of intelligence but no passion.

“Yes, sturdy girl. “ The man said it as if she was livestock. He eyed her up and down every so slowly and with a calculating expression.

Amunet provided a polite smile “Welcome to the Shimmerstone pavilion, may the winds bless you. “ The girl then filled his cup with the beverage.

“A pleasant voice yet why do you wear a Zith claw.” He said still his eye trained on her with scrutiny.

She hated this kind of scrutiny. She looked him in the eyes. “I earned it.”

The girl then moved off and served the others each in turn according to rank and status. She sat down on beside Tula which happened to be in open view of the man that continued to eye her without much concern if she liked it or not. The girl minded her meal and drink. She did not dare to give the man her attention as anything could be taken out of context.
Last edited by Amunet on October 25th, 2015, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place

Postby Amunet on October 25th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Mara had made desert. Deserts were not a usual thing in the Pavilion. There was maybe a bowl of cut up fruit or something with honey but out right confections were a rarety. Mara brought out fruit pies made from berries and plums. Amunet paled as this means they really intend to impress this man. The young lady dared a look towards the man and his wives sitting to the left of the Ankal. He provided a smile, she provided a scowl.

Mara had motioned for her to rise and help her serve. Inwardly the girl groaned. The fire seemed to spark off of her hair as the wavey tresses danced around her as she moved towards Mara to assist her. “Amunet, smile. What’s wrong with you?” Mara asked in hushed whispers.

“You made your pie?” The girl looked Mara in the eye with an accusatory expression but in the same hushed tones.

“Not every day this Pavilion is graced with a trader of the ruby clan with high status. You should be honored.” Mara said with a disapproving tone. “Now smile and serve the man. “

Amunet looked at her father’s first wife as if she was sending the young woman off to her death. “I wont stand for this. “ The girl said through clenched teeth as she took the platter.

Mara started with the Ankal, Amunet started with Pratal. As she leaned forward to place the pie on the charger in front of him, his hand darted unobstrusively to hold onto her upper arm. It was a precarious position as she was at a disadvantage. “Not as soft as I would like. “ He whispered to her ear. “A lot of fire, but there are ways to temper fire.”

It was difficult to pull away without causing a scene and Pratal knew it. With a bit of a smile his hand loosened as she immediately came up. The young woman leveled him a gaze that said many things of which distrust was among them. The girl said not a word as she went to serve his wives and the other’s down the line. She fore went the pie as her stomach was now churning. The desert was soon consumed as the small talk started in earnest. The Ankal brought out a cask a wine. He beckoned Amunet closer. Every fiber in her being wanted to turn and run.

She rose as Mara and Tula took care of the remnants of the communal meal. “I should help clear the meal area.” The girl said with a smile to her grandfather, only. That was purposeful and said louder than words, ‘I don’t like you.’ Pratal found it amusing.

“Nonsense child your quite old enough to enjoy a cup or two and we have enough hands to take care of that. Come, talk.” The old man entreated.

Crap. She couldn’t get out of this. Alright she would have one cup and bow out somehow. The young woman came closer and stood on the other side of the Ankal to take the offered cup of wine. Her expression clearly said, ‘guarded.’ This was not lost on Lorak. His wayward granddaughter was a bit of a handful. “My granddaughter works with the River Flower as one of Endrykas’s midwives. She is quite useful and handy when it comes to herbs and ailments.” He started in a business like tone as if in a complex trade negotiations.

Amunet has heard that tone before. It was slight and subtle. What was she, a piece of furniture or livestock? The girl offered a polite smile only. “It is rewarding work. “ The girl said simply

Pratal smiled as his eyebrow lifted. “It is fortunate for a pavilion to have someone with the arts of medicine. Keep the pavilion strong. “ He said in a neutral fashion as his tone spoke in fluid grace. That silver tongue continued. “Anyone would be lucky to have joined with such a girl. It is a wonder that you havnt already been joined.”

The subtle hint that he inferred that her age of consent had been well passed. It was meant to infer that she was getting too old to be negotiated for in this manner. Amunet was sensitive to shifts in tone. Considering that she deals with the sick and children, she was also a bit versed in manipulation. The alerted guard she had up was telling. Her grandfather didn’t seem as alert, in fact he gushed towards the man. Amunet’s brow furrowed as he did this. “The girl is in her prime, Pratal. We encouraged her to study medicine during those two years so she had a good grounding. It only heightens her worth.”

“Seriously? Am I a zibri or a piece of furniture?” She blurted out as her eyes leaped with flame.

Lorak looked at her sternly. “That is enough Amunet. “
Pratal watched her with keen interest, as she leveled him with a glare. The girl then tossed the rest of the wine into the fire and slammed it on a table. She gave both Lorak and Pratal a glare as she strode out and towards the back to her tent. She was so done.

Lorak knew better than to stop the stomping Amunet. The old man sighed slowly. It didn’t go as well as he had hoped, but at least she didn’t completely explode, which spoke that she had matured to a point. Pratal took the advantage. “You seem to not have control over your pavilion.” He said in a disappointed kind of way.

“Amunet is her own brand of woman. “ The old man countered. “That is for you to impress on, not me.” He countered with the thought that the work to encourage her to the joining was partly on him.

“Nonsense. If I agree to this joining, she does agree or doesn’t. That is besides the point. You will have the secret and I will have a lovely third wife. “ Pratal said as he backed up a bit and used coercion.

The old man’s eyes brightened. “I will talk to her. You will find her no easy mark.”

Pratal smiled at those words. “That I have no doubt Lorak, none at all.” His eyes looked towards the red head’s retreating steps. The look in his eyes to tame the fire and the challenge of conquering such a spirit was in his thoughts. The prestige of having such a third wife would raise his status and he would have built in medical care for his Pavilion. The advantages were mounting.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place

Postby Amunet on October 25th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Amunet went past her tent and into the open area behind it. She looked up at the stars a moment to garnish some requiem, some solace from what she feared was happening. They seriously was negotiating a joining. Her little fists clenched as the air was getting cool away from the fires and the warmth of the tents. The goose bumps that traveled over her of the thin garment she was wearing made her shiver.

“You shouldn’t be out here.” Pratal said from the side.
Amunet jumped as he was quiet in his approach. Like a wild filly she faced him and backed away. The man put his hands up in supplication as he moved closer. The girl backed away more. “Go away.” She said firmly.

He chuckled as he turned sideways and his hand was rubbing his chin as if calculating how to get closer to this child of the wind. “This isn’t helping your worth.” He said in a quiet tone.

“I don’t care.” She fired right back at him.

It was more difficult then he thought. She was not concerned at all about the negotiations of the dowry. “don’t you want a husband?” He asked rather directly suddenly.

“In a word, No.” She said as she jutted her chin towards him and adamantly maintained the distance she prescribed was safe. “I will marry in my own time.”

He chuckled at that. “You are an interesting case. I havnt had to break someone in a while. “ The smile grew and grew as he looked at her as if a puzzle challenge to figure out. It was cold and calculating. It was without compassion and without fear. “I havnt had an obstacle like this in a while. “ With that he had that unsettling smile and walked back to the pavilion.

There was a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach that made her want to throw up. It took several long breaths to get it under control. It was a few ticks before she returned to the pavilion itself. Mara came rushing up to her. “You are a marvel. I thought you blew it for sure.”

Amunet wasn’t sure she could take any more surprises. “what are you talking about?”

Unfortunately the woman had her hand and was dragging her towards the front. The Ankal was beaming and went to hug her. “My granddaughter you make this pavilion proud.”

Amunet gave an uncomfortable smile. “What do you mean, grandfather?”

“You are to be joined to Pratal. The negotiations went splendidly.” The Ankal said as he and most of the pavilion cheered. Her father watched Amunet carefully who put her hand on her stomach, went to the side where dinner exited violently.

She started crying as she got up to wipe her mouth and went to her tent. Her father sighed as he was at a loss himself. He was being groomed to be the next Ankal of the Shimmerstones, but his daughter’s happiness loomed on the other side. Duty and happiness sometimes do not go hand in hand. This joining seemed to be advantageous on all sides. His daughter didn’t seem to agree. In his quiet way he pondered these things as he went to his cushion to smoke his pipe. His wives were going on and on as they were in excitement of planning a joining. Arranged marriages were common with the Drykas, most learned to be happy. Maybe his daughter could learn to be happy with this man. His gaze turned towards her direction as he knew his daughter well. Maybe he would have words with Pratal on how to make her happy.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place

Postby Tribal on November 5th, 2015, 10:19 pm

G R A D E S

Amunet

Experience

• Medicine: 1
  • Mathematics: 1
  • Cleaning: 1
  • Socialisation: 4
  • Observation: 2
  • Negotiation: 1
  • Childcare: 1
  • Weaving: 1
  • Intimidation: 1
  • Hostessing: 1
  • Logic: 1

Lore

• Delivering a baby
  • Tying the cord of a new-born
  • Measuring a new-born
  • Bargaining for fair trade
  • Turningleaf pavilion: Good textiles
  • Mara: Dessert queen
  • Voice: Tone in conversation and its meanings
  • Lorak: Has no control of his pavilion
  • Amunet: A third wife?
  • Pratal: Wants to marry Amunet
  • Amunet: An arranged marriage

Notes

How does Amunet know so much about dye with zero lore? I'm getting a bit tired of repeating the same advice to you; please play to your strengths no matter how tempting it is to run away with one's own story. That said, I enjoyed this thread a lot, the ending was quite amusing. Enjoy the rewards.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes