Closed [Job Thread] Until Dawn (Sayana)

A dancer learns to paint and an artist learns to dance.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Job Thread] Until Dawn (Sayana)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on December 12th, 2015, 2:31 am

The combined use of a charcoal sketch beforehand, a reference to use as she went, and taking her time afterwards had actually ended up providing a fairly decent piece, considering how uncomfortable Aislyn was with painting. With the ribbon over the eyes, the finest details weren’t something she had to worry about, and the rest of the face could be little more than a few lines in charcoal, which she was far more experience in. No fine details to paint, no issue in painting. Of course, she had quite a few issues that would stem from the fact that the majority of the supplies she had ‘picked up’ earlier were either a murky mixed colour, almost entirely used up, or the colour orange.

The red colour had been used up in her painting, making a flat, though flashy appearance of colour on the dancer’s dress, while the orange was the only surviving, useful colour. The yellow was used up in the sky and the skin, mixed with others to form various different shades thanks to Sayana. The green was a questionable colour thanks to Aislyn’s misunderstanding of the way colours actually worked, and the blue was sacrificed in the making of the ocean behind her tiny dancer’s figure in her painting. There had never been an indigo or a violet to begin with, though if there had been it was already captured by one of the scrap canvases.
So her mission to conserve colours had been less than successful, but she truthfully didn’t mind all that much.

Absentmindedly, the artist absorbed the information the dancer was throwing at her. Chaktawe… Thieves… Several words that appeared to describe dances Aislyn had never heard of before, along with a visual performance that was both awe-inspiring and worrying, considering how close Sayana’s graceful legs were to many breakable and spillable objects.

With one final spin, the dancer was finished, striking a pose somewhat similar to what she had originally used as the reference for Aislyn’s drawing.

And, with one final stroke, the artist was finished, her attempt to blend the colours of the sky rather unsuccessful, but decent.

Aislyn took one last look over what she had done. The tiny dancer’s details were entirely charcoal, making for a strange, but neater look than what would have happened if she had attempted to do everything in paint. The details of the sunset and ocean were far murkier, almost nonexistent, but the colours were better. Surprisingly so, actually, and Aislyn hadn’t even mixed them herself. A wonderful accident. Perhaps she’d have to paint more often, though she doubting she’d have that kind of luck again.

As she wiped off what remained of the paint, Aislyn stood up, admiring the dancer as she reached her hands up towards the setting sun. The woman obviously held Syna in high regard, considering her favourable words. The dancer made everything seem so graceful in every sense of the word, in a way Aislyn could respect immensely. Though, even as she asked the question she’d been meaning to ask, there was something telling the artist that it was a very bad idea.

”Is there any way you could show me how to dance?”
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Words: 647829
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
2016 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2016 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Sayana on December 12th, 2015, 6:43 pm

“Of course I could!” Sayana replied eagerly, flattered that the artist would take an interest in her dancing. However, her hands still had plenty of paint of them and she took a moment to find some sort of canvas, paper, cloth or anything to wipe them off. It wasn’t the best job, but at least her high hands were relatively clean from simply holding the canvas while she had been painting.

“We shall dance together,” she announced. She dropped her low and mid arms so they would be out of the way, then moved in close to where Maya was standing. “Put your left hand on my shoulder,” she instructed as she placed her right high upon Maya’s back. “Then your free hand goes in mine like so.” She made an attempt to grasp the artist’s other hand in an upright position.

The dancer shifted her weight to one leg and tried to convey the shift by keeping firm pressure upon Maya’s back. It was that connection between dancers that allowed them to dance together. “Now step forwards with the leg that is free while I step back,” she explained as she took a strong step backwards. Maya would feel the pressure increase upon her back and feel pulled or brought forwards with the movement.

“Yes! And now for a turn!” Sayana raised her hand that held Maya’s, which created an arch to go through. At the same time she gently guided the artist using the hand on Maya’s back so that she would turn the right way.

“And another turn, and another turn!” The dancer laughed playfully as she traced a halo around Maya’s head with their hands that were connected.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on December 13th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Well, Aislyn had been right about one thing. That was a very bad idea.
As soon as the words had left her mouth, the dancer had sprung into action. Normally, Aislyn didn’t like physical contact. Not even accidental brushing, nevermind a hand.
Now this, though, this was six hands.

As Sayana had instructed her, the artist obeyed with a growing sense of regret and dread. She hovered her hand above the woman’s shoulder, before freezing at the feeling of a hand on her back. The last time someone had touched her back, they’d discovered her hair to be the wrong length, and Aislyn had been forced to slap a snake. A man-snake. Snakeman.
Nonetheless, there was no getting out of it now.

Exhaling heavily, the woman took inventory on her illusions. Hair, skin, eyes, gnosis mark, everything was fine. Maya could be touched. She was fine.

And then they started moving.

Right foot forward. Now back. No… Forward?
It seemed that the dance Sayana had chosen was a slower, partner dance. Not the Semha or the ballay or whatever it was the dancer had said earlier. This was a lot more connection, more personal. A dance for balls, and parties, where musicians in fancy attire playing slow songs meant for couples. Not Aislyn’s kind of dance at all. But maybe she could get the hang of it. That was, until 'maybe this isn’t so bad' turned into 'oh dear Ionu I'm spinning.'

”And another turn, and another turn!”

There was a fairly good chance Aislyn was going to fall over as soon as Sayana let her go. She was naturally limber with her light bones, and had fairly good balance, but being able to not fall off a building one was climbing up was very different from being able to come out of a rather nauseating spin without losing balance.
Of course, as soon as she broke away from the dancer, she fell backwards into the pile of scrap canvases, her hand landing in a particularly wet splotch of red. Bringing her palms to her temples, the woman tried to rub the headache out of her head. Of course this would have left fingerprints of red, but this time, she couldn’t focus enough to let the paint through her illusion of smooth skin.

Perhaps it was time for her to leave.

Standing up, Aislyn stumbled slightly, but eventually the world stopped spinning long enough for her to reach what remained of the paints and papers, and begin to pack them up. As she did, she kept sending glances over her shoulder, trying to find the words to say she really, really had to leave.

”I… Thank you, Sayana. For everything, but I…”

Aislyn really didn’t want the woman to touch her again.

”I should probably… Go.”

She couldn’t think of an excuse in time, but could at least find something to distract the dancer with. Remembering the painting, Aislyn picked up the canvas with the tiny dancer, scratching Maya into the bottom right corner of the piece with the red paint that was left on her hand, as a sort of signature. Then, she handed it to Sayana.

”Here... Here. All yours.”

It was a good ending to a painting Aislyn never thought she’d make. She’d have to make sure to paint more in future, if only to hone her skill. Perhaps she could reuse the canvases that were now covered in various paint spills and fingerprints, all evident of what had happened there.

As Aislyn collected her materials and prepared herself for the journey down the building, she glanced over the rooftop.
On that rooftop, a dancer had learned to paint and an artist had tried to dance, and the evidence was obvious.
Paints and colours scattered around the ground. Beautiful, in a way, but chaotic. And messy. The Alvadas way.

Just as Aislyn liked it.
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Words: 647829
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
2016 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2016 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Fable on December 17th, 2015, 5:10 am

A I S L Y N

a d r o i t . a c c r e t i o n s
    ❁ observation 4
    ❁ larceny 1
    ❁ painting 4
    ❁ socialization 3
    ❁ negotiation 1
    ❁ climbing 1
    ❁ planning 2
    ❁ acrobatics 1
    ❁ philosophy 2
    ❁ organization 2
    ❁ tactics 2
    ❁ rhetoric 1
    ❁ investigation 1
    ❁ dancing 1
    ❁ writing 1

e s p i e d . e r u d i t i o n
    ❁ Drawing: Figure Drawing
    ❁ painting: marbling
    ❁ painting: mixing tertiary colors
    ❁ sayana: six-armed dancer
    ❁ chaktawe: survivors of the sands
    ❁ dancing: the semhu
    ❁ tactics: mixed media
    ❁ dancing style: the waltz
    ❁ painting: fingerbrushes

r e c o m p e n s e . a n d . r e t r i b u t i o n
    ❃ No paints, since they're all ruined anyway. :(

d e t e r m i n a t i v e . d i c t a
Very fun thread! I wanted to give a little more experience, but I need more detail! Aislyn is competent now, so I'll need solid descriptions of the actual act of drawing (line thickness, pressure applied, tools used as why, experimentation of technique, etc.). I don't have any doubt you can add a few more sentences in for the juicy experience, so I just wanted you to be aware of why I wasn't able to award full points for the drawing. Keep it up!

S A Y A N A

a d r o i t . a c c r e t i o n s
    ❁ dancing 2
    ❁ acting 2
    ❁ rhetoric 4
    ❁ acrobatics 3
    ❁ persuasion 1
    ❁ running 1
    ❁ climbing 1
    ❁ endurance 1
    ❁ painting 3
    ❁ cosmetology 1
    ❁ disguise 1
    ❁ drawing 1
    ❁ teaching 1

e s p i e d . e r u d i t i o n
    ❁ painting: mixing secondary colors
    ❁ maya: quiet artist
    ❁ painting: finger brushes

r e c o m p e n s e . a n d . r e t r i b u t i o n
    ❁ mixed media portrait of sayana by "maya"

d e t e r m i n a t i v e . d i c t a
Very nice to see a light hearted thread! Just a note: paints in this era are actually really toxic. I'm not going to give any kind of negative effects for it, but yellow and red were both really dangerous pigments. Just a fun fact!
]
Fable
A yarn is spun from many strings.

Words: 267393
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:17 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous