Gardening Interest?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on October 10th, 2015, 6:27 pm

This looks like it could be a very interesting article. :) I like the idea of a section for types of gardening. Would a section for types of gardens be useful, too? And perhaps tips for how to start, and/or maintain them? Some possible examples might include water gardens, rock gardens, herb gardens, aromatic (flowers picked for their scent as opposed for their looks), vegetable gardens (the small, single family/person kind), and flower gardens.

Other sections might include info on insects and animals that are helpful (or harmful) to gardens, as well as the types of animals you might find in water gardens (mostly fish and frogs), info on which flowers/vegetables are suitable for a novice versus ones that need more skill to care for, and info on the uses of the different types of gardens; meditation (rock gardens), decoration, harvesting herbs/food, and so on.

Possibly some info on planning a seasonal garden with different plants that will look nice in each season. Some that look best in summer, fall, and so on.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on October 10th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Based on what the current summary for Gardening, I think the skill is solely plant based. So rock gardens and water gardens might not be included. I'm not really sure. I'll definitely add aromatic gardens, but I already added herb and ingredient gardens. I count flower gardens as aesthetic gardening.

I'll cover maybe a tad bit of certain plants that live in certain wether under plant climate. Thank you for your input. :D Or did you perhaps mean aesthetic seasonal plants?
0/2 Threads
Have time to visit the Gardening skill?
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Words: 79860
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2015, 9:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on October 11th, 2015, 3:46 am

You're welcome. :)

Both would be good, but I meant seasonal plants. I can't remember the name of it now, but when I was a child, I visited a garden where there was something to see year round. In the winter, it was an evergreen maze, if I remember right. And in the other seasons, the garden featured flowers that bloomed at different times of the year. I don't know that a garden maze would work here in Mizahar, but trying to plant a garden where there was always something pretty to see each season might.

As opposed to a garden that was dead/dormant in winter, and bloomed in the summer.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Gardening Interest?

Postby Wikus on October 13th, 2015, 9:32 am

I'm very interested in this topic - Wikus is a great plant lover and he has infected it on to me! I was going to suggest some ideas, but looks like Seirei came first and 'planted' them already!

At any way, If I can be of any assistance, please reach out as I'm always willing to help :)
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Words: 377704
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

Gardening Interest?

Postby Saej on December 5th, 2015, 2:44 am

Hey! I'm a gardener too, anyone still interested in hashing this out? I like what we have so far. It would be nice to have a full lore article on this skill. On the topic of poison getting thrown in I feel like it might have some merit, there's a plant called the kuhari found wayyyy down in the flora and fauna section here. Also something worth noting, I think, would be pest control. Such as from pests deer, mice groundhogs, and rabbits. Not to mention bug pests.
ImageImage
°*·Speaking in Common|¤|Speaking in Nari|¤|Thoughts·*°
Saej
Spiral Out

Words: 103413
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2014, 2:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on January 21st, 2016, 10:24 pm

As discussed in a pm Saej and I will be continuing this were I left off. If anyone has anymore input, please feel free to post it. As for the outline, here is an updated one:

Prerequisites/Related Skills
Farming
Botany
Herbalism

Types of Gardening
Aesthetic Gardening
Flower Arrangement
Leisure Gardening
Form of Exercise
Herb & Ingredient Gardening

Gardening Tools and Uses
Hoe
Shovel
Rake
Waterskin

Gardening Know-How
Soil Fertility
Plant Climate
Seed Spacing

General Upkeep
Planting
Watering
Weeding
Pests & Pesticides

Learning To Garden
Self Teaching
Being Taught
Books

Skill Progression
-Novice
-Competent
-Expert
-Master
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Saej on January 22nd, 2016, 2:27 am

OH crap! I forgot about your PM. I was thinking we could add gloves, small spade, and a hand rake to the tools list.

Also there should be something about perennial, annual, biennial, etc. In my opinion. Maybe include companion planting, like knowing what plants not to plant beside each other. Or is that getting to technical?
ImageImage
°*·Speaking in Common|¤|Speaking in Nari|¤|Thoughts·*°
Saej
Spiral Out

Words: 103413
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2014, 2:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Ball on January 22nd, 2016, 11:53 pm

Ohh Do eet.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Gardening Interest?

Postby Amunet on January 23rd, 2016, 2:04 am

I like the idea of gardening. Though that is very tough for a traveling people like the Drykas but i like gardening period.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on March 8th, 2016, 11:50 pm

As the article stands I don't think it's enough, I'm going to look more on gardening tonight, since I'm not an expert. If anyone has anymore suggestions please feel free to post them!
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext