Closed Building a Bed (Karin)

Sayana goes to the Wooden Wonders Workshop and asks Karin to build a bed and crib for her.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Karin on December 9th, 2015, 4:39 pm

28th Autumn, 515 AV

The trials of yesterday had proved painful for Karin. Upon waking, her arms ached beyond words and it took a long time in the morning to soothe her arms and be abel to feel that she could actually go to work again. It was proving to be a tough project, but she wasn't going to let it beat her.

She and Cadog had decided jointly that there would be no need for a headboard, unless there was enough time at the end. Such things were excessive, and only really needed for larger beds. So, that morning signified the polishing of the bed, the finishing up and finishing off. A quick survey of the creation showed that apart form the slats, which needed to be attached securely to the bed in some way, the rest of it was finished, if a little rough hewn.

The first task of the day was to find some thin strips of wood to act as runners for the slats, and she quickly made light of it. The saw quickly cut two lengths to the right size, and Karin hefted them over to the bed, laying them flat along each long edge. Cadog had decided to help her, for the morning at least. The placing of the runners wasn't a difficult task, and with Cadog helping it took even less time. Karin took a few nails and placed them at even intervals, and repeated the action on the other side too.

Once that was done, the bed was in fact completed. But anyone going to use the bed would likely get splinters, and multiple ones, so she needed to sand it and varnish it, something the girl was both looking forward to and not at the same time. The sanding would be a simple task, simply to rub the sanded paper over the surface until it felt smooth, but it would be tedious. Whereas the varnishing would be slightly more difficult, to make sure she got it even, but it would smell nice.

With a small sigh, she took the sandpaper. At least it won't ache as much as yesterday. And with that thought, the girl started her arduous task. It wasn't until midday that she finished the sandpapering, and she took a step back from her work, even more exhausted than she realised. Her arms were on fire, as the constant rubbing backwards and forwards was painful.

She had to have a break. If she didn't, she would go stir-crazy. She enjoyed working, and she enjoyed woodworking, but she'd been inside so much recently. She wandered outside with her lunch, some smoked fish, and sat with her legs dangling over the edge of the quay. The sea was out, and the skies were grey. An endless vista of ocean and sky blended together and Karin let her mind go blissfully blank for half of a bell.

Her lunch was gone, and a wind was picking up, so the tired, blonde girl stepped back into the warmth of the workshop, and picked up the small barrel of varnish she had seen Cadog making yesterday. The surface needed mixing again, and the girl picked up a horsehair brush, dipping it beneath the surface to stir it together.

The smell was nice, and when the surface of the wood was brushed with the brush, it was even better. But Karin took care to not get carried away, and instead brushed with awareness. The strokes were long and painted along the grain of the wood, as she watched, the wood seemed to drink it in. It was relaxing, and her muscles unwound as she painted.

It took less time than she thought until it was ready, but it was still dark and turning stormy outside by the time she was finished. "We'll let it dry overnight. Take care going home today Karin."

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Karin on December 9th, 2015, 5:19 pm

29th Autumn, 515 AV

In her walk down to the port, everything seemed ordinary. It wasn't until she stepped through the Gaping Maw and into the Patchwork Port that the apparent storm of last night seemed to become evident. Stones and sand was littered across the streets, and some people's houses had seen some damage from winds and oceans. Most of the boats seemed to be where they were supposed to be, but there were a few lesser ones that lay, tumbled on their sides.

Thankfully however, the workshop still stood, quirky and undamaged. Cadog was worried though, it was likely to get more busy now, and he wasn't sure how many more boats he could take on. But for Karin, that worry was for another day. She needed to make the crib, and the seven days given were drawing closer and closer to their close.

After the process of making the bed, the making of the crib, although different, would be relatively easy she felt. She went through the same process, anyhow. She drew up a rough plan, made lengths of string for the wood with rough estimates. In fact, the crib would be similar to the bed, but taller. So, as she'd already done the process, it wasn't hard to make the frame and the legs, similar to the bed.

She managed it by mid-morning in fact, as it was much smaller than the bed. It was just below hip height, and the girl was in the process of measuring the slats out when she was struck by something. She would have to make the holes, again. Ugh. Great gods above, really? With a great, heaving sigh, she laid the slats out, and searched for the brace.

The holes were measured out, and thankfully there were less of them, so she finished just after lunchtime, at the midday bell. She went outside to see how Cadog was doing, and discovered that he was inundated with boat-owners, asking for repairs. The father and son team were busy, so she didn't disturb them, and instead sat at her usual spot, overlooking the ocean, which was deceptively calm today.

After her lunch, she re-entered the workshop, and set about placing the slats. Idly she hoped that the six-armed woman wasn't expecting them to provide mattresses too. Maybe she'd ask Cadog later, if he wasn't too busy. The slats were placed, and she nailed them in place. Now, the rails.

Oh. I need to make dips for the rails to sit in, and which tool do I need for that? The petchin' brace. It was turning out to be her least favourite tool, but with a grimace she fetched it, placing it on the edge of the crib. The design was simple and blocky, but she didn't care. With this brace it was turning more into a chore than an enjoyment, but she supposed after that was over she could get back on with enjoying it.

Making the holes for the railing was harder than it looked, and a couple were slightly off kilter, because she rushed slightly. But after the rest of the day, the holes were made and the poles had been cut to shape. With a sinking feeling, she realised she would have to make another set of holes, exactly opposite their counterparts below, but that was something she'd come to later.

I'll fit the thing tomorrow. The day was coming to a close, and Cadog had passed by looking weary and telling her she was free to go home, so she picked up her belongings and left the workshop. Outside, the night was calm and dark. A few light spots of rain pattered on her head, but they didn't bother her.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Karin on December 9th, 2015, 5:38 pm

30th Autumn, 515 AV

I am determined not to let the brace beat me. I will not let the crib beat me, a bed made for babies. I will not let it master me, and I will not falter, and I will make something worthwhile.

These were the words of a determined Karin walking to the workshop that morning.

All is useless, this is terrible, the crib is trying to best me and it's succeeding.

And these were the words ("Petch it!") and the thoughts of a miserable Karin bells later.

It had started off well. The work of yesterday was strong, and Karin was pleased with it, but the application of the brace and the making of the rails was a lot harder than it looked. Looking back, if she'd made the top part of the rails first, it would have been easier. But the mistakes couldn't be undone. These ones could only be fixed.

What made matters worse was that she couldn't get Cadog OR Ferny's help, as the family were too busy with their own tasks to aid her. So she had to muddle through it by herself. The problem was that no matter how hard she tried, the rails wouldn't line up with the upper support. It was frustrating, and the only way that she'd been able to make them match up was to make it wonky.

It seemed that instead what she'd have to do was make some of the poles longer. This meant taking them out their supports, and throwing some away. She knew that her employer didn't waste anything, and that these duds would be used for something, but it was still frustrating.

Although it did give her chance to start as she'd meant to. The upper support was scrapped too in the end, and Karin laid the new one down on top of the bed frame, and transferred the placement of the holes with the graphite pencil. Satisfied, she grabbed the brace and made the new holes. Finally, she fitted the new poles. They were snug, and as she placed them in the bottom support, they stayed upright, and were blessedly even!

Praise be! She didn't know who to praise, as asking for Laviku's blessing seemed odd considering his non-association with wood, but she couldn't think of anything else, so she asked for Laviku and Ionu's blessing and called to them with gratitude for letting her finish, or at least mostly finish the project.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Karin on December 9th, 2015, 5:46 pm

The rest of the days that she had left passed smoothly, with the crib being sanded and finished with varnish in a style similar to the bed. The finished items were left to dry and Karin could get on with her other tasks, helping Cadog with the repairs. She had significantly less work to do now, so her arms could rest, which was a blessing.

She found that, even with the trails she'd gone through, she was proud of the final products. They were simple and sturdy, and furnished with simple mattresses (which she had asked Cadog about, where he agreed that they would probably require them). She hoped the six-armed woman would be as happy with them as she was.

The day of the collection, and the girl that Sayana had described came through the door, wanting to collect the items. Just previously, the girl had found a service which hired carts out, and she had borrowed one. The girl would need one if she was going to carry them far, and so she helped her to load them onto the cart.

She would walk with her if required, but only if desperately needed, as Karin felt slightly uncomfortable around the girl she presumably was supposed to be watching if she was wanting to escape. So she would just stand by smiling, and if she was asked for help then she would provide it, but she wouldn't go out of her way to offer.

It was good to see the back of the items, even if she was proud of them. After all, they were presumably going to a happy home. Right?

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Nephti on December 9th, 2015, 5:54 pm

She had been sent to the workshop to collect the bed and crib, but Nephti relished in the freedom she got roaming the streets, letting them guide her rather than thinking about where she walked. The streets moved around her, rather than the Eypharian through them, and she stumbled across a place that hired out carts.

The slave approached with a handful of coins, something she had taken for this very purpose. A cart would be necessary to transport two piece of furniture, for she had no strength to carry them without one.

Eventually, the streets led her to the shop where she could get the furniture and she entered smiling, keeping a good appearance. The girl that greeted her was not too much older, helping her load the cart. Nephti was forced to take half the pressure, unable to carry much.

Once the cart had been loaded, Nephti tried to move it, but it was too heavy for the young girl. Forced once again to ask for help, she turned reluctantly to the older girl.
"Help? Too heavy, I can't." As if to demonstrate, she pushed again, shifting it only slightly forward. At this rate, without any help, she would never get these back to Sayana.

She was thankful that the girl did help her, trying to start a conversation as her heels dug into the ground to push the cart.
"I am called Nephti. You are? You... work here?" she smiled, momentarily forgetting the word for work. If wasn't for her appearance, her accent and manner of speech would easily give her away as not a native. "Is work hard? What is work?"
Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Karin on January 20th, 2016, 8:31 am

The girl that approached to collect the bed was almost exactly like Sayana had described a couple of days ago. She didn't seem like she was going to run away, and it just begged the question: what exactly was this girl in relation to Sayana? It was clear they were of the same race, that much was obvious.

She watched slightly apprehensively from the side as the girl struggled with the cart, before being asked to help. "Yes, I work here. I'm an apprentice carpenter. Oh, and I'm Karin." With a heave, the cart came unstuck and the Svefra took one of the handles, hoping that this Nephti would take the other handle.

The cart rumbled along its way to the entrance to the city, and for a few chimes there was a silence from Karin as the two girls shifted the cart. After a while, she spoke up. "Well, I should answer your question. It's not too hard, but I'm still learning."

"Aah... What do you do, Nephti?" She almost didn't want to enquire, half out of a want for professionalism, and half out of wanting to know nothing. However, it would be rude not to ask, and besides, it only seemed fair.

She was also deadly curious about the multi-arms. It was exotic, and a slightly strange concept which Karin couldn't really make sense of. "Where are you from, of you don't mind me asking?"

By now, the cart was being wheeled through the streets of Alvadas, as the distance from the Workshop to the city walls wasn't long. Sunlight streamed from directly overhead, and the cart dragged sullenly behind.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Nephti on January 21st, 2016, 8:51 pm

The girl before her introduced herself, beginning to help. Nephti smiled at her, taking the other handle of the cart and pushing it for several chimes until Karin spoke again, asking what she did. What an awkward question. Nephti pondered her response for several moments, trying to remember if Sayana had said anything to her. Did this girl not like slaves? Was revealing that part of herself a bad thing to do? Karin asked another question, giving her a chance to forget the first.

She decided to go for it anyway, "Slave. Sayana's slave. I do makeup. Look after baby. Fortune tell." The last was her true passion, obvious from the way she lingered on the word, gaze happily into the distance. Then she moved on, eager to speak of Ahnatep rather than the situation she was in.

"I am from Ahnatep, in desert. City of Eypharians. Beautiful, always warm." Nephti gave a nostalgic smile, straining herself to remember it. It had been so long ago when she had left. If only she could return, feel the sun on her face and the sand in the air like she had done everyday. Back when she was spoiled and took everything for granted, when she had slaves, rather than was one.

Nephti realised her mistake in recalling it, and moved on again, quickly changing the subject to Karin as they wheeled the cart along, making good time along the streets of Alvadas. "And you? Where you from, Alvadas or not?"

oocSorry for a short post, I couldn't write anymore. Hopefully there's enough there for you to reply, left a question for you.
Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Karin on January 31st, 2016, 5:16 pm

The fact that Nephti was a slave did not surprise her in the least, although it was incredibly uncommon. Karin frowned, wondering why there was such a thing in the world. She could understand why animals be locked up and used as tools. But humans?

But she offered Nephti a tentative smile, saying, "Do you, um. Does she treat you well?" She felt a little awkward around this strange, many-armed girl. So, attention back to the cart.

The cart in question bumped merrily over the currently cobblestoned streets of Alvadas. Besides them, the buildings were pretty and painted in a variety of colours, which the girl glanced at through slitted eyes as the two of them strained the cart onwards.

A beautiful, always warm place sounded mysterious, like a gilded dream somewhere far away and unreachable. Karin imagined deserts and dunes spread over great distances, filled with haughty and noble golden-skinned, six-armed women.

It was a slightly unnerving image, and the girl readily took up Nephti's question, "I have... yes, I've lived in Alvadas all my life." For some reason she didn't particularly want to go into her history, pitfalled as it was with nasty thoughts and lingering bad wishes.

"Alvadas is an interesting place, isn't it? Have you got used to the illusions?" And there was another thought nudging against her. "What is fortune-telling? I have heard of it before, but I've never met one before..."

OOC :
Hey Nephti, so I was thinking: is it okay to push this forwards a little and maybe finish in a few more posts? Reason being I don't want it to get too long. Or if you wanted to continue it we could start a new thread? :) up to you.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Nephti on April 7th, 2016, 8:46 pm

"Treat me well?" Nephti thought about it for a moment, then nodded, "Sayana is good mistress." She smiled, trying to prove it. Of course, there had been times, times that weren't as nice, but the Eypharian knew how to treat a slave, especially one like Nephti. She hoped. Only time could tell, for they didn't know each other, not fully, not yet.

Karin didn't speak of Alvadas like Nephti had, only answering the question. But Nephti agreed with her, it was an interesting place. "The illusions still surprise me, scare me sometimes," the girl replied, hands firmly on the cart as she guided it down a narrower street, still with all the colour of the streets from before. "But they are interesting. Why are they there? Who made them?" she shrugged at her questions, signifying they didn't matter.

A strand of hair fell in front of her eyes, the girl moving her hand to brush it back. With the release of the cart, she stumbled a little, feeling it get heavier in her hands before she caught it again, grasping quickly. With an awkward smile, she was glad the girl had asked another question.

"Fortune telling is..." she thought about it for a moment, "I use card. Tarot cards. They tell future and past and present. Lots of images - lots of... how do you say it? Moon can be illusion or night?" Words in common were so complicated. She struggled with them, finding them come out of her mouth awkwardly, as if they weren't meant to be there. It was true, they weren't. She was meant to speak Arumenic, not common. But she couldn't.

Nephti smiled again, eyes brightening with a thought. "I could show you? If you want. When... we.. come to inn. If you want," she suggested, adjusting her grip on the cart. "If you want," she repeated, practising the structure more than anything else.
Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Building a Bed (Karin)

Postby Karin on May 29th, 2016, 11:17 pm

Karin smiled at the girl's stumbling talk, and listened intently to her voice as they trudged the cart along the street. "The moon can signify the night, you mean? I understand. I've never had my fortune told, perhaps..." The girl's thoughts stopped, lingering on possible futures. She didn't know what might happen, and she wasn't sure if she would want to know, even if she could.

The inn Nephti spoke of became visible, just around the corner at that very moment. The cubes of the Cubacious Inn loomed in pastel shades, but Karin wasn't interested in it's square façade. "Here, I'll leave it outside and you can get help from inside if you need it."

The two pulled the timber bedframe off the cart, and manoeuvred it gently onto the floor. Once they had finished, Karin nodded towards Nephti. On one hand, she would like to stay, to perhaps learn more of this fortune telling the girl seemed to know something about.

Yet, she was apprehensive of it too- apprehensive of the unknown and what it might mean. And she needed to return to the shop, most likely. "Thank you for the offer. But, I think I need to go back, to the shop y'know."

She nodded once more to the girl, and turned around, heading back the way they'd come. Of course, Alvadas streets meant she may as well have continued walking forwards, but her logic refused to believe that would help. However, she was soon through the Gaping Maw, and back to the workshop. One bed, safely delivered.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

PreviousNext