PM to join Know Your Place 2

The preparations are proceeding but the courting is troubled

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Know Your Place 2

Postby Amunet on October 25th, 2015, 3:33 pm

43rd day, Fall, 515 a.v.
13th bell
Shimmerstone Pavilion

In between raindrops, she walked through the market to get things to prepare for winter. The whole of Endrykas seem to be stocking up on goods or replacing items that are needed for the coming winter. She was at a weaver’s stall looking at a particular good thick cowl that looked warm.

She fingered the weave and picked it up to see how close the stitching was as the wool instantly warmed her hands. It was a dark almost black color. It was knitted wool with good pearling and even measure. The dye might be poor but it would keep her warm.

“How much?” She lifted the cowl towards the stall owner.

“4 silver mizas.” The woman said firmly.

“This looks uneven though." as she looked at this up and down as the die was faded on one side and darker on the other. "One silver miza.” Amunet countered not daunted by the firm stance of the woman.

The woman knew Amunet since she could walk the market. The Shimmerstones boasted shrewed bartering as it seemed they had bargaining in the blood. The woman put her hand on her hip. “two silver mizas young lady and not a copper less.”

Amunet gave an impish smile as she went to complete the deal when a snowy voice came to her ear. “I got this. “ as he went to put two silver mizas forward. “Though you really should look for better quality.” He said in a disdainful way looking at the poorly dyed cowl.

The little red head looked at him with venom in those sky blue eyes. “I can pay for it myself. It is warm and utilitarian. I am not concerned of the imperfections. It gives it character. “ The woman countered as she rather pointedly moved his extended arm out of the way and handed the woman two silver Mizas. She took the coin and melted from what looked to be an unpleasant encounter.

The man looked irritated at his betrothed to not let him buy her something, anything. Amunet has refused every advance he had placed before her. He presented her with kills, goods, food, herbs and once a silver chain. She turned her nose up at all of it. What kind of woman did not take a gift or take what was offered by her betrothed. “You are being difficult. If I am to take care of you, then I need to provide for you.”

Amunet countered with short and passionate words. “I can provide for myself. “ Material things were not attractive to her. She did not like what she saw in his eyes. She did look him in his eyes with a hardened one of her own. “I don’t need a man to provide for me. I don’t need a man to do things for me. My needs are not what you can provide. “ Her tone was cutting.

He scowled, growled low and grabbed her upper arm to bring her away from the stalls. “you will speak to me in a civil tone. I will not tolerate this sort of behavior.” He did not like being showed up in public by his wives. His other two wives knew better, but then they were quite a bit more submissive and content with the stuff he provided.

Amunet jerked her arm free of his grasp. She rubbed her upper arm as he had a strong hold of it. The young woman backed away from the man and his dominating gaze. Her sky blue eyes looked right into that gaze meant to cower someone. Her own gaze was steel and fire. She searched his eyes that spoke of control, boxes and walls carefully constructed that he designed to keep order. To someone as free spirited as Amunet, this was as much as a death sentence. “You will never understand. You lack the capacity to. “ The girl said in her soft tone.

The man was both appalled and surprised at the quality of her perception. Pratal narrowed his eyes at those strong sky blues set in such a fragile face. “You will come to understand my way. One way or another.” With that, he turned and strode away pondering this creature that seemed to give him a convoluted mind and constant obstacles that was beginning to irritate him.
Last edited by Amunet on November 6th, 2015, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place 2

Postby Amunet on October 25th, 2015, 3:35 pm

She had purchased several things once she had garnished control of her emotions. The closer the joining came, the more nervous she got. She didn’t want this. Amunet deposited her purchases at her tent and was getting them put away when her father came to the tent and sat down.

“How is my baby girl?” He asked in his smooth quiet soothing baritone.

It was very difficult to stay angry with him when he is like this. “I’m doing fair. Getting things purchased for winter.” The girl looked at her father, searching for something familiar to cling to.

“You and Pratal are not getting along very well.” He said not in accusing way but in a way that gave the young woman evidence that this discussion was serious.

Amunet closed the large chest and sat on it. “Father, he is cold. His hands are cold. He knows no passion as he is nothing but control and order. Not that is bad but I cant live that way.” She said with exasperation before an explosive sigh exited and she was looking to the ground.

Her father nodded. “Have you tried to read him like one of your patients? Understand the man, don’t condemn him. You can learn to be happy.”

Learn to be happy. She has heard that phrase from everyone in her pavilion. Love will come in time, they said. Those cold dark eyes came to her mind as her brow furrowed in helpless consternation. “Somehow I don’t think that is possible. “ She looked at her father’s eyes as she melted. “Alright, I will try. “ Amunet didn’t really want to read the man. Her father knew she had a way of seeing into the heart of things and she had a good bedside manner. “Gentleness attracts gentleness. “ In theory, the girl thought.

Her father smiled and nodded. “That’s all I ask. Try baby girl. “ He stood up and went to kiss her on top of the head with a gentle hand on her face. He could feel her tension at the jaw. She was more unhappy then he thought. The man exited and made his way to the Turningleaf Pavilion to seek out Pratal. He had to talk to him. He had to get him to see how to make her happy in as much as to get Amunet to find happiness in the man.

He found the Pavilion and politely inquired for their Ankal,Pratal. Goren was ushered in by one of his wives with utmost politeness. It was crafted politeness. He took refreshment from the ladies offering his gratitude as Pratal watched him load his pipe to lite it. Goren’s own eyes were on the man. Pratal hadn’t quite figured the quiet Goren out yet. The man was reputed to be a talented carver, yet did not speak much. His quiet demeanor only made his mystery worse. It was a stark contrast to the fiery Amunet.

“One wonders how so much fire came to Amunet. Maybe her mother was a handful as well?” Pratal broke the silence with this as a fishing lure. If it was too strong, it would be offensive. If it was not too strong, it would lead to more productive conversation. The wheels in that calculating head turned with the strategic possibilities.

Goren puffed on his pipe letting those words stew and let the man wonder. Once his pipe was smoking sufficiently and he had gotten one good draw from it, he spoke. “Her mother was kind, caring and gentle.” The word ‘was’ had a significant accent to it as those same eyes that Amunet possessed looked right at the man sternly. “Amunet’s personality is her own though she favors her mother in appearance.” He was not about to tell the man that Amunet much to Lorak’s dismay was just like the old man. That fire and stubbornness the Ankal stared at was just a mirror of his own.

Pratal arched an eyebrow. So the quiet Goren was a shrewed one. He would have to watch his step. The man back peddled a bit in thought and offered a polite crafted smile. The same crafted smile his wives seemed to have practiced and honed. “I see. “ It was a careful statement. “How did you raise such a handful. She must have been something of a terror.” It was probing into waters he was testing.

This made the quiet man chuckle. “The girl’s mother had a way and kept her busy. Amunet is rather industrious and curious. She took to medicine and herbal knowledge rather young and rather quickly. After her mother died, she took to wandering a bit more. “ Perhaps it was a mistake to mention the last part but Goren was also fishing. He watched how the man responded.

Pratal knew better than to let anything show on his face as he listened to the words. So they let the girl wander freely, that was their mistake. That was what the man thought as he excised control of all in his pavilion. “That wont happen with me. She will have structure here.” He said carefully.

Goren narrowed his eyes slightly. “Structure is good. I find with Amunet that letting her be, she often comes to you. “ He was trying to tell the man something without telling him what to do as it became obvious that he preferred to at least have the appearance of having control of the situation. Goren let that appearance happen, but he would be heard. “Its like gentling a young strider, with gentleness in time they come to you. “

He huffed at that. “your too soft Goren. “ The man said with a hardened expression in his eyes. “I give gentleness where it is warranted. “ That was given out in precise controlled measures.

Goren looked at the man and puffed his pipe. He saw what Amunet found difficult. “sometimes honey attracts more flies.” The carver tried to say philosophically and obliquely.

Pratal furrowed his brow and narrowed his eyes, turning his head slightly gazing at the man. “Seems Amunet’s perception is more from you than from your Ankal. “

“Perhaps.” Goren said obliquely. He had retreated inward now. He was unsure about the man. He was a strong man with a strong pavilion. Qualities any Pavilion would marry their daughters to. His need to control was a red flag. Goren finished his smoke and rose. “Thank you Pratal for your hospitality.” He bowed his head slightly to the man in respect for his rank.

Pratal inclined his head towards the man as he was not sure what just happened. Once Goren left he mulled it over. One of his wives came to massage his shoulders. He turned to the woman. “what do you think of Amunet?” He asked it for a gauge of the gossip, not any real need for her opinion.

“She is pretty, strong, intelligent. The girl is difficult. The Watch particularly have a history with having to go after her when she is over long in the Sea of Grass. By rumor, she was injured only a couple of times. They say the gods watch her as she more often than not comes back without a scratch. Some say the god’s cursed her as she came back from those caves with no scars and no windmarks. There are many families that well like her as she takes care of their children and birth babies. She is gentle with her hands when it comes to the wounded and the sick. Her temper is slow but when it does go off, she is most difficult.” The woman answered without hesitation knowing her husband would want to know everything that was on the Endrykas streets she had heard.

The man nodded and waved a dismissive hand to the woman as he rose and went to tend to the cooking fire. Pratal was in deep thought about these things and what Goren had said or didn’t say. The girl needed a guiding hand not a firm one but that was not his way. His other two wives were easy to settle in. Amunet will prove not so easy.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place 2

Postby Amunet on October 25th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Amunet made a face as she pondered her father’s words. She hadn’t viewed him in a patient’s eyes before. She would have to care for his ailments so maybe she could try that. She took a deep breath and decided to perhaps sit out with the evening sunset to watch the early stars. A little snack and wine as a peace offering of sorts. She had sent the invitation to Pratal’s pavilion and waited. Cheese, flat bread made by mara as hers didn’t turn out well and sliced fruit. Simple and it was neutral. She wanted to make an herbal tea but Mara insisted that the wine would be better.

Her hunting cat and hunting dog were in her tent resting. Shetanae was grazing casually with the herds not too far off. She hugged her knees as the clouds parted and the brilliant colors displayed a brilliant sunset. The way the day had gone with the sudden downpours she guessed they had an hour. Pratal came to the side all quiet like again. Amunet gasped and put her hand to her heart as he did it to her again. “Make a noise or something.”

He chuckled “how do I find out about things if I make noise?” he said in a teasing manner.

Amunet tried to turn that in her head more objectively than subjectively. Something about it irritated her but it was really not something to be mad about. The girl gave a disarming soft smile. “I have a snack and I thought we needed to talk.” The girl pointed to the other side of the prepared impromptu picnic on a wool blanket.

Pratal looked at the simple set up and thought that it should be more suitable to his rank, but for the sake of argument he sat down. He would have to teach her what is proper for his status. The olive branch; however, was not lost on him. Once he was settled he had a curious smile. It was one that Amunet hadn’t seen before and rather liked that one.

The girl smiled in return as she put on a simple plate a bit of cheese sliced fruit and the buttered bread. This was handed to the man, before she poured a cup with some of the wine. She didn’t own fancy goblets. She did the same for herself. She didn’t speak till the snack was delved out. He nibbled at the snack as she started to speak. “I thought we should get to know one another a little better. “ The girl said. “without other eyes where it is just you and me. “ The girl nibbled on her snack as well.

The man nodded. “I can see value in that. “ Indeed he could. Knowing what you was getting was definitely a plus and an advantage.

“Value has little to do with it.” The girl dared to show a bit of emotion as she motioned to the sea of grass. “That is our life. What the Grass provides and holds for us. The gods guide our hand and our way, we are one people, one herd, one Drykas. “

Pratal looked at her as the philosopher came out that was similar to her father. It was not a mirror though. “Your attention is too broad. Your attention should be to the Pavilion.” He said sternly.

Amunet stiffened. “My care is to the whole of the Drykas. As a medicine woman and midwife, tis my duty. Rak’keli gives to the people her care and in return I give my care to the people. “ Amunet was very much about the strength and wellbeing of the people of Endrykas and all people in the Sea of Grass. She had an irritating habit of finding strays in the Grass and bringing them back.

He took a sip of wine. “Wine this good should be in a better glass. “ He admonished as she cleansed his mouth with another drink. “Your first responsibility will be to me, then to the pavilion, then to whoever else.” He said firmly.

“My responsibility is to the people of Endrykas, as my husband you should understand my work. While I understand that you have duties and cares to deal with, you have two other wives to deal with day to day matters. You know I have my work. You knew that when the negotiations were done. “ She said as she put her plate aside. Amunet was trying.

Pratal didn’t want just trying, he wanted her to acquiesce. “Your work comes after I say your duty is completed.” He insisted.

Amunet eyes flared. “I say my work comes before anything you might think is my duty.” He was not seeing her. He did not understand her or didn’t want to. “I am not something to mold to what you want. “

Pratal looked at her with stern cold eyes. His hand darted to her upper arm, which was way too handy lately, and pulled her slight form to his close on the ground. Her body slammed into his hard. A mix of fear and anger in her eyes as he had a hold of her. “You will do precisely what I want you to do. If I allow you to continue your work, you will. If you displease me, you wont. Its that simple.” He said in his ear as he smelled the small hollow of her throat.

She squirmed and valiantly tried to wrest her body away from his. He tried to maintain control of the squirmy firm and wired muscles of the girl. Amunet got an arm loose and got a six inch gap where her knee came up. This was followed by a fist that went to his face. He grunted and doubled a little as he caught her fist and rolled with it till she was on bottom. “You at least know how to excite a man.” He teased.

This proved to infuriate her more as this was not in any way intimate or desire for her. Apparantly he was enjoying the fight. She curled her legs along each of the outer legs and as he smiled she scowled back put her head back and popped her forehead forward sharply. He howled as her little heard forehead hit his nose. When got sharply up, she pushed him away and scrambled out. The stormy skies matched her eyes at that point as lightning peeled in the background. The winds tugged at her red hair as it danced about her that matched the fury in her eyes. “don’t touch me.” She said. “if it’s the last thing I do, you will not touch me.” The girl vowed.

Pratal cussed and gave her a look that spoke volumes as he looked at the sky threatening to open and he stormed off himself to seek out care for his nose. Amunet gathered the things she had as the tears rolled down her face. “He isn’t going to ever touch me.” How could she ever give herself to a man that had no understanding, no passion for life and the simple things? She was balling by the time she got to her tent and the skies opened up. Mara was looking out the back of the tent as Goren was at her elbow. “oh that doesn’t look good.” Mara said as Goren sighed as his only affirmative response.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place 2

Postby Amunet on October 25th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Two hours later Pratal with a treated nose and Lorak were deep in conversation as Pratal demanded that he reign in his wayward granddaughter. The accusations were inflamed of course, but the end result was the same as Pratal detested lack of discipline. He demanded discipline of those around him. He accounted for the strength of his pavilion. He wondered how this pavilion became so strong without discipline and control. This was also his way of getting his way. Push his demands around and dangle what people wanted to make them do what he wanted. You find a person’s weakness and exploit it if necessary to garnish what you want. Your pavilion gets what it needs and more.

He marched into the Pavilion. “Lorak!!” He said in a firm voice but not so loudly to make it to the next pavilion. One of the aunties came out and saw him. She darted back inside and it wasn’t long that the old man came out of the pavilion.

“Pratal, blessings of the wind in your favor.” He began. “what happened to your nose.” His nose was still swollen and tender.

“Your granddaughter is what happened to my nose. She is out of control Lorak. “ The man got closer to the old man. He beckoned him to come a bit further away from the main tents to have words with him. Once they were far enough away. “There is a lot at stake here, Lorak.”

The old man moved with him as he could only imagine how that happened. If the man got pushy, his granddaughter reacted in kind. She was a strong spirited Drykas woman. It looked like Pratal got the brunt of it. “Tell me what happened. Amunet is not a violent girl.” That much he knew of her. She might be a handful but she wouldn’t strike out needlessly.

Pratal was trying to angle the man to be as angry as he was, but it seemed the shimmerstones were not readily angered. Where did all that fire come from? That was beside the point as the man refocused. “we were having a nice chat, it looked like we were getting along then she hit my nose with no provocation.” The first part was fairly true. The second part was a total lie. The man was skilled and smooth with his words.

The old man took in a deep breath and exhaled. “that does not sound like Amunet, but I will have a word with her.” He said.

The man looked at him sternly. “You put your foot down and get some control of her or the deal is off. There will be no joining and no secret. Need I remind you this secret will double your production and crafting.” There was the dangling carrot.

This could be a great advantage with more items to trade. The Mizas in the summer from Sylrias would be even more so. Not that mizas meant anything out in the Grass but in Riverfall and Sylrias , they deal in Mizas. He had not much of a hint of the secret other than it would increase production. He had seen his pavilion at work and it seemed they produced a lot of product. “She will be ready for the joining. “ The old man said pointedly.

With that, Pratal walked away back to his own Pavilion. Maybe this little punishment would soften that girl. Not too much. He found it exciting with the fight she gave him. He hadn’t been that excited since his twenties. The smirk that curled on his face as he planned their wedding night was growing. Oh she will be touched that was for certain. She will understand who makes the decisions and what was best for her. That was what an Ankal did. They looked out for the wellbeing of their Pavilion. He knew what she needed and what was best.

Lorak turned to go back to the Pavilion. He then went to the back to where Amunet was writing in one of her journals. She was always doing something. “Amunet.” He called to her.

The little red head put the journal down gently and carefully put the quill no a piece of wood and capped the ink. She then came out of her tent and stood looking up at her grandfather. “Yes?”

“Any guesses as to who I had a talk to. “ He said looking at her with a stern expression.

The little woman made a face. “Pratal.” She said succinctly as she folded her arms defensively across her chest.

He nodded. “Your antics are going to cost us this joining Amunet. You are to be ready to join with him in 14 days. You are going to marry him. Get used to it and get over it. “ He said as he stared her down.

“He tried to.. “ She stopped there as she wasn’t all together she he would care. “What I feel doesn’t matter? What I want?”

“You want, I want. This is for the betterment of the Pavilion. Your selfishness is going to cost us a secret that will double what we have.” He said obliquely.

“What is this secret then that im to be sold for?” she fired back heatedly. He called her selfish? For defending her point of view and her virtue?

“Watch your tone and your words. The secret is a secret. “ he said as if it was final.

“You don’t know what your selling my hand for and your excepting it blindly without knowing more about it. He is a horrible man!!” Amunet voice was raised. “He cares nothing for no one but his own. Trade and Mizas, status and rank that is all he is. “

He raised his hand. “That’s enough. You will marry him and that’s final. If you don’t marry him, you can leave.” He said raising his own voice. “It is time that you know your place in our society. Think on that.”

There it was. The stare down. The girl stood there toe to toe with the Ankal not blinking, not moving. The old man turned and stomped back to the Pavilion. Amunet turned and stomped back to her tent. Her heart hurt. Her own family couldn’t see or understand what she needed. She didn’t need to be controlled. She didn’t need to be harnessed and put on display for status. Her place? Her place was with the people, taking care of their ills, birthing their babies, studying Rak’keli’s teachings when she came across them. Where was the happiness in any of this? Learn to be happy with a man who couldn’t learn to understand someone else, he didn’t learn someone else, he just controlled them to a point where they coiled around him. Her heart tightened up as she could scarcely breath. Her hands shook as the realization that her hand will be in that monster’s hand in 14 days was overwhelming.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Know Your Place 2

Postby Tribal on November 13th, 2015, 8:48 pm

G R A D E S

Amunet

Experience

• Organisation: 1
  • Negotiation: 1
  • Socialisation: 3
  • Philosophy: 2
  • Observation: 2
  • Rhetoric: 1
  • Logic: 2
  • Hostessing: 1
  • Brawling: 1
  • Writing: 1

Lore

• Organisation: Making preparations for winter
  • Sewing: Stitching, spaces between stitches
  • Sewing: Pearling
  • Sewing: An uneven stitch
  • Amunet: Cannot be bought
  • Philosophy: Drykas, way of life
  • Amunet: Turning to Rak’keli's lessons

Penalties

Amunet will pay full price for the negotiated deal because there is no ooc note on your thread explaining what was bought and for how much. Please make changes to your ledger.

Notes

It’s nice to read a bit of story for once! Thanks for brightening my day :] Enjoy the rewards!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes