Completed Back at it

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on November 2nd, 2015, 2:10 pm

1st of Fall, 515AV

There was some strife to be sensed around the gaping forests of Syliras this time of year, Theo had heard; Lester had beckoned his company on an outdoor patrol and so it was. He had the morning to prepare at least, Theo thought to himself. There was no better place to get a good spar than where he was, slicing away at the dummy. He hit it once, over the shoulder, and fumbled his grip to slice it from the left at the head.

Backing away, Theo could only be disgruntled. He felt tired, slow, worn; the days were catching up with him. Sooner or later he would die if he did not find his inner strength again. Sure, when might came to metal Theo felt he was as radiant as ever; but his glowing self was dimming with the toils of squiring. There was a newborn anger in him, from where he did not know. It was all humbling at first, the dry meals, the packed cott, the tight schedule, and the constant vigilance of Theo’s gatekeepers, but now he spat on all of it. He was better than this, better than them. He felt smug smiling now, and kept to himself about the way he would if he had something to worry about.

It wasn’t his future that stood before Theo now, as a great shadow crept over the dummy, Uncle Lumin, He was sharp with his sword, Lumin, and parried Theo’s first strike, a straight shot at the gut. The two of them created space, and then Theo stabbed once more, but before Lumin could catch him he swiped up across the chest of Lumin, slicing open his chest. Twice more Theo pounded him, once more from each side, he was deflecting the blows but fading. Soon enough Lumin was breaking under the might of his nephew’s swings, he was no one now and but still left his nephew panting.

Theo hadn’t thought about the murdering Lumin in quite sometime. The other squires striking the posts had left since he engaged, there was still others in the room though he could hear through his pounding head. Sweat was dripping into Theo’s eyes and he moved to wipe it, but only spread it around with his chainmail sleeve, leaving a moist slick that stuck in his hair.

“Lumin, why wasn’t I strong then?” Theo said, clenching his fist. When he opened it there was a ball of rez. Theo grunted, and then threw the ball aflame at the mason wall, yelling. Theo turned around, embarrassed, he had the whole room's attention. “What?” He demanded. Some batted their heads away, others were staring as Theo stood there with his sword in hand. “Are we all gonna’ play eyes, or is someone going to try my blade?”
Last edited by Theo Popcampio on December 15th, 2015, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my templates were made by the grace of the enchanting Aislyn Leavold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Words: 212275
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 4:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 14th, 2015, 11:24 pm

“Popcampio, why so rough?” Pleaded the boy named Cromwell with the lazy eye, the rest just called him lazy. “Never seen you been so mad you threw fire before,” he snickered.

“A knight sees you do that and it’s off with you,” skinny Wheaty cried in a metally echo from underneath his face guard.

“And they won’t know a thing, Wheaty, ‘cause you won’t tell them.” Peter said, stepping between the young man and Theo. He stood there with his hands on his hips as if he had a cape on, he wore a blue tunic instead today. “We watch out for each other around here.”

Theo appreciated that, Peter was a good young man, humble and agreeable, Theo felt bad having forced him into such a spot.

“Now, Theo, why don’t we go a round, no fire please?” Pete stood with his broad shoulders, smiling, sword at his waist. Theo’s brazened heart was still there, but he also was a feeling of sorriness for having forced Peter into such a situation, now it would be a spectacle as well.

“I have to say Petey,” Theo said stepping closer, the rest drawing out, “you are certainly among my favorite fellows to see around here, by gods we will have a good match. I’ll try not to let my thoughts get the best of me like they did on that dummy. I play with just a longsword, but you fancy a shield as well?”

A sword made for a more agile style without a shield, Theo had learned. “I want to know what you’re all about, we can go your way.” Petey lowered his heater shield, across his side he had a broadsword to match. He had an unforced ease about him, his eyes deep as the sea with sandy blond hair cascading down past shoulders.

“No, no, you won’t be half stepping me today Peter.” Theo wanted all Peter had to offer on the field, he wanted to push himself now. Theo felt forced in this moment, he wasn’t easy nowadays as he was, but he was ready to learn, ready to dominate.

Peter was tall, and well built, Theo couldn’t quite match his strength he knew. He could be quicker, but that wasn’t quite enough. Technique would be key here, Theo needed an answer for everything Peter had. He would be striking from one side, with his shield, and would have to cross his body to block on that side too. Theo’s sword arm would also be stronger because it would be a two grip. He just needed to catch the blows from Peter.

They readied their wooden instruments, no words, but a bow took place. Both entered a guard and began circling, Theo’s sword hovered across his chest, a wooden shield guarded Peter’s front. There was a silence as they came to a halt, the shield-wielder charged in. Theo hopped out of the way, simple enough, but Peter turned with a vicious blow. Wood met as Theo sliced back, overwhelming Peter, who used his shield to put both swords out of play. Theo struck back, thrice at the shield, and threw a kick in on the same side. The foes staggered, the kick knocking both off their weight, and Theo was now open.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 14th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Peter was off balance, but struck back in a drunken style, this time over the top. Theo just managed to meet the blade diagonal ways, having to crouch down for stability, but then, to his own surprise, sprang up and knocked Peter back a little. He charged in. Slicing him from all directions in a reckless fashion, Peter caught all the blows with his now infamous guard.

Theo knew he needed to pay better attention to win, Pete was far too strong with his shield. He finally looked out once the blows stopped, Theo antagonized again with another strike. The shield-warrior was holding to his guns, probably as he should of, but he was getting tired from his own and the shield’s weight. The battle was dragging, strength was giving way to agility and endurance.

Sweat dripped off both their brows, but Theo still felt light in his breath, high from the battle. Peter dropped his shield, he was gasping.

“So…”

“No words.” Peter caught his breath, and raised his broadsword, the two nodded. Theo walked in, and Peter struck from the side. He was strong, but Theo could hold him as they met now. Theo looked into Peter’s eyes, he was using all his might, his face beat-red. ‘Did Pete’s shield draw him wary?’ Theo wondered.

The swords drew back and Theo struck a stab, Peter met the blow with his sword. Theo knew he could overpower him here, but he didn’t want to be caught in a hold, or worse, embarrass Peter. Theo then feigned a blow from the left, and then actually swung one when Peter reset, he was slow to catch this one. The offender struck again, Peter stuck back to catch the blade, this time winding back and swiping out across on a follow through. Peter pulled the dummy blade back behind him, his big arm swung out as he aimed his sword one handed, but it was sent to Theo prior by horseback that such an attack would be happening. Whistling air could be heard as Theo jumped back, slicing back at Peter at the wrist, it was done.

“Good show, Pete. Next time, Don’t take it easy on me. I’m tougher than that last showing of emotion presented. Besides, if it ever came to it, I’d roast ya, so get your licks in.” Theo didn’t know if Peter had gone his hardest or if his work was finally paying off. The guys laughed at his comments, but Theo felt a little disgraced, he needed to stay humble, Gods were watching.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 14th, 2015, 11:25 pm

It was night time now, the spark from Lester’s torch was the only light the road. The horses under them were dark in color, and the riders wore dark cloths as well under their chainmail. Theo did his best to hold tight with his legs, still wobbly as a rider, he didn’t want to be embarrassed in front of Lester, but it was worrisome riding in the pitch of night. Truth was Theo wasn’t the horseman he claimed to be, but he tried to be, and the stallion under him was smooth as the night, hobble after hobble he covered for Theo.

“There’s word of some bandits being spotted along the roads, only time till they make it through here, they may come to test us, Theo.”

“Bandits do not frighten me tonight, but I know your feeling, the men talk of it all too frequently now. Seems some are to question their oaths, and I do not blame them. Still, do you think what they say is true, noble Lester?”

“Time will tell, young Theo.”

They were merely a quarter mile out and the city was still in sight; still, things felt alone out here in the woods, it was a little too quiet. Not a bird was chirping, nor an owl giving a hoot, and nor was their a stranger on the road. Theo couldn’t even hear the city, something wasn’t right.

“You feel that?”

“You’re no aurist, how’d you pick that up?”

“Maybe it’s not a living aura.”

The woods off the path seemed to beckon them onward, Theo dismounted, a ghost was within the air. Lester followed with no word. This was unlike the hostile ghosts Theo had met in his time, the feeling was different, for worse or for better, it was uncertain at this point.

Theo had some soul mist he had spare on him from a day's prior training, so he smeared it on a tree.

“You sure you want to do that?” Lester asked. It was a question the both of them were getting used to.

“I guess we’ll find out, won’t we?” Theo laughed. “There’s no need to worry, it’d be one cruel spirit that’d be able to take us down in a snap, even though I am just a novice.”

“A spirit, Theo? We have no right to be meddling in ghostly affairs tonight. We patrol the roads for the people, not the undead.” Lester was not a cowardly man, but he knew the limits of his strength better than most men.

“Exactly, Ser, and these roads of the people could be troubled by the undead. Whatever fear I share, or perhaps you share, is nothing compared to the helpless. Believe me, this is no small task, but as a spiritist I have a duty to invest in these affairs, if only to pass it to someone of more power. Let me take the lead for now.” They stopped talking and sensed the air, it demanded their attention, yet was stiller than ever. A gust of wind blow through, the torch died out.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 14th, 2015, 11:28 pm

Lester relit the flame immediately, “What was that?” He asked in a hoarse whisper.

Theo shushed him immediately, pointing at the tree in the moonlight. There was a girl there now, about twelve she seemed, not tall enough to reach where Theo had smeared the soul mist. Theo offered more in his hand, she took it and looked at it with wonder, then at the offerer. She was blonde with blue eyes, just like Peter, and had her hair in pigtails that hung over her shoulders. Her cheeks were rosy and puffy like a chipmunks too.

“Gee thanks, mister, do you got anything nicer?” She said in a dead Syliran accent.

Theo was disheartened to had let her down, “No.. I’m trying to get better at it... I’ll bring you more when I do, girl. What’s your name, by the way?” Theo smiled, crouching down.

“I’m Yana.” She said, fiddling with the mist she had acquired.

“You like the woods, Yana?”

“Oh yes! I play here all the time, mostly by myself though, no one comes out to play when I do. Do you like the woods?”

“Oh yes, I come out here all the time, me and Lester here.” Lester waved from behind, unsure of what to do.

“We’ll have to play when he’s not here, I don’t like him very much…. I always come out here, everyone knows this is Yana’s spot.” She pointed at the ground, her chin held high, smiling. Theo thought of how old she must of been, he guessed it had to be decades at this point.

“What’s your name?” She released herself, looking up at Theo.

“I’m Theo, it’s very nice to meet you, Yana.”

“Say, Theo…” She trailed off with her timeless talk. “Do you have a brother named Walden?”

He was shocked, how did this ghost girl know? “Why, yes, yes I do. And how do you know that, Yana?”

“Oh I heard of him from Trevor Ulmen, says he met some new guy babbling on the beach, but that’s what all the new ones do. Trevor says he talks about an uncle a lot.”

“Oh, well, thanks for telling me Yana. We have to be going now, princess, I’ll visit soon so we can play.” Theo said, walking away in a hurry past Lester.

“Oh, okay, well I’m always around here. Come back soon, maybe Trevor will be here and we could all play together!” Yana called out to Theo’s backside, smiling. She laughed and sang “la la la” and stomped rhythmically in a patch of yellow posies as the knights made their leave.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 14th, 2015, 11:31 pm

“What was that about your brother back there? You’ve been quiet about him.” Lester mounted his horse, and Theo followed suit, propping up on the saddle strong. He yahed the pony on and came to the same trot, this time headed back to Syliras. “Hey, where are you headed off to? We still have road to cover.”

“Lester, the extra hundred feet means no difference, we will be late anyway. I think we may be best not causing worry, we shall press on if you wish, though.” Theo was matter of fact in his sudden burst onto the world.

Lester seemed a little dumbfounded by the comment, patient he was though, “No, I think you may be right.” He knew something was off, Lester too sly a man to indulge in a power match with his inferior.

And the horses began trotting in the same direction, then Theo brought his to a halt, and turned to face Lester. “There is something I must tell you, Ser Vey. It is about my brother.”

“Go on, squire, there are no secrets between us.” He said in assurement.

Theo cleared his throat, and began the trot on the road, he didn’t want to have to look in Lester’s eyes at this point in time. “It was not too long ago, last season, shortly after I was squired. It was a night quite like this. It was a night my soul will never be able to forget.

“You need to understand, I need my alone time sometimes, Ser. Regardless, I snuck out and was on a walk just outside these gates, along one of these roads or another. I was spittin’ the usual nonsense to myself, anxiety is all it was, trying to get my head straight. Then I hear screaming, and I got my blade ready as it was my duty to respond to such situations, so I did.

“Man, up there: Walden, bloodied as a damsel on her wedding shag. Right through his gut, I was so shocked I couldn’t cry. He looked at me and said all the sorries in the world, and I gave ‘em right back. By holy Sylir, we looked pathetic, righteously pathetic…” Lester was looking on without expression.

“He said that men had jumped him, all his sins had caught up with him. I pleaded to know why, but I think he was tempted to take some secrets to the grave. He got real wozy towards the end and started babbling something a little more real, he owed money to people, nothing new, but the wrong people? Walden never hung with any shifty crowds, his friends did, but he didn’t. Something’s wrong about it all, I think someone set him up or something.”

“Why have you waited to tell me?” Lester had been waiting to ask.

“Are we beyond such subtlety that I must explain that, Lester?”

“Yes.”

“You are my mentor, I was afraid of the shame it might bring me.”

“Spoken true. Humbleness wears on you, Theo, you should try it more often.” And Lester beat his horse to a good speed, Theo struggled to keep up. Theo didn’t know his game now, but he’d show his mentor now. Even though he was losing his beast slowly, and Theo had to slow up, Lester didn’t wait. Sitting back more into place, Theo hugged the horse with his legs and beat the horse hard. Soon he was going faster than he ever remembered, and shushed the stallion to a calmer pace. Theo had never got so lost on a horse before.

When they got back to the stable Lester looked on Theo with a stern gaze. He looked deep into Theo, he was trying to pull the truth out of him.

“Training’ll only be in the evening tomorrow, I want you to sleep late tomorrow. Think about the course of tonight this evening, take some time to yourself.”

“Ser?” It was already past midnight.

“I’ll be sleeping as soon as I get in, I trust you will make as little of a disturbance in the dormitory as possible.” And with that he walked off.

“How strange…” Theo muttered under his breath.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 14th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Theo stumbled into the dormitory late, and sat down in the dark common room by himself. He was going to have to get to those kids soon. What did bad uncle Lumin have to do with all this? Was he possibly tied to Walden’s death? Better yet, why was Walden a ghost? Why had he stayed and not gone off to the cycle? Walden had his demons, sure, but he didn’t do anything to deserve the torture of this pitiful rebirth.

He had to see these kids, tonight. Theo had felt the boy’s presence there in the woods, but the boy was more reluctant to reveal himself than Yana, it would have to be better next time. Theo crept back into his room, quiet as he could, tip toeing every step (he had removed his boots before entering). Underneath his bed he found some rented books, all on reimancy. He had been worrying about reimancy so much lately. Under Norman’s bed Theo peaked, there he found a book on spiritism hidden on top of Norman’s trunk. Theo stood up, the heavy sleeping Norman hadn’t stirred “Sorry Norm, only for a little.”

Theo flicked his fingers and out came some rez, he lit some for reading light. Theo covered the pages, try to see the steps on how to make soul mist that he had missed. He crept over to Norman’s area in the common room. Silently, he drew a draw open, looking back on the light on the pages. He saw the basic egg, cheese, and flour, but he turned to see more. There was another that called for butter, which Norman had, but upon a glance it revealed to be too rotten to be good. Theo decided the old egg was best.

He had always beat the substance in a bowl, but it would be too loud now. The egg was there to crack, he knocked it against the desk, and cracked it but it splattered a little. Theo was able to save almost all the yolk by flipping it up, and finagled his sleeve to wipe up the yolk. He split the egg open in his mouth, some yolk dripping down his chin and on his shirt, which he wiped away too. Yolk wasn’t so bad, he had it before, it was easy to swallow but he kept it in his mouth now.

Next he took a large pinch of flour, and put it in his mouth as well, resulting in the beginning of the paste. Swiftly, he tried to grab the cheese, but it was not to be seen. Theo looked around in haste, the paste becoming awkward to handle. It was nowhere in the hub of rotten food goods that Norman had taken to collecting. Theo looked up, and was about to spit when he saw it on the desk, bite taken out in all. With a half broken piece of the wedge, Theo put the mixture to work chewing, trying to concentrate on the mix, nothing.

He had forgotten blood! The most sacred part of the ritual, Theo reached for his dagger, holstered on his left leg, and cut into his left palm. He didn’t really put much thought in where his blade was cutting, having cut himself for the mist before, realizing now that may come to bite him later. It was a clean cut from a sharp blade, and the slight incision wept well, Theo sucked it.

Finally, with his mixture complete, he could concentrate on the mist. Theo wanted to give this to Trevor, Yana’s friend, the boy in the woods not far from the city. Walden was at the end of all of it, freeing him from whatever ghostly ruin he’s in. The kids were nice as well, perhaps they could be helped. And what Lumin did have to do with all of this? The man who stole away a decades worth of earnings to himself and killed his innocent wife, who fostered Theo. There were answers to be had here, perhaps ones Theo hadn’t wanted to hear. Regardless, Walden needed help, and Theo was going to do it, whatever the cost.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Theo Popcampio on December 14th, 2015, 11:34 pm

Theo checked back in from his meditation, the mist was done, and it was gross. A vial sat on the desk and he spat the mix in, it might of been his best batch yet. Well intentioned thought was what did it. If you appreciate something for what it is, then you may well be on your way to excellence with a little effort.

“This’ll have to do, maybe the kid just waits till later to come out anyway.” Theo reassured himself. Norman’s book found its rightful place, beneath its snoring young wizard, and Theo left as quiet as he entered. Tip toes and silent feet, moving his way through the dormitory, it wasn’t his first time now, and it wouldn’t be his last. If there was a stir, Theo would be without noise, any eyes were only to find darkness when he truly needed to be out, at least in his mind now.

All the secretiveness was not unknown to all, however, as when Theo found himself at the stable Lester was there to greet him. Theo felt admonished and disgraced, but Lester’s heart was in a good place.

“How could you not of come back? I didn’t want to give you any cause for reproach, though, and so I let you prepare as you would yourself. Clever, don’t you think?”

The squire was overjoyed for a moment until he comprehended what he was heading into. Soon Theo was propped up on a saddle taking one of his darkest rides yet. The slow, cautious strut of the stallion driven by an unfamiliar hand. There was a certain drive behind Theo now still, and the beasts apprehensiveness only made curious to tame it as he drove his ride by the reins.

As Theo’s horse reached that lovely trot horses in show acquire Lester cautioned him to slow, they were upon the location. Yana could be heard singing again, and she, being more than she seemed, noticed Theo and Lester right away.

“You said you wouldn’t bring him!” She exclaimed at the start.

Theo laughed, “And I thought I wouldn’t, but Lester has a nose for my business and so he found his way here at my side again. I guess we’ll have to make due. Say, Yana, is Trevor around?”

“Why should I tell you? Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t”

Theo could sense the ghost’s presence, both in the air and in her voice. “Do we really-”

“So this is Theo?” A boy emerged from the brush wearing no shoes and a pair of red overalls with paint spots. On his head was a beret that was put to the left, he put his hand out as he materialized. “Name’s Cap’n Trevor. I’ve met your brother you’ve heard?”

Theo was shocked by his composure, not only was he a child but ghosts never had a solid mind in Theo’s experience. He shook Trevor’s hand, “Why yes, and you’re Trevor you said, right? I’ve got something I’ve been waiting to give to you.” Theo took out the soul mist and held it in his hand for the ghost boy.

Trevor took it, but he didn’t clutch it for life as most spirits did, he reached with a steady hand, feeling it and observing it with his senses. “Ah yes, a quality mist Theo. You have a way to go, but it’s always good catching some mist, I’d love to see you in a month.” The boy laughed. “But you’re here for your brother, or who you think is your brother, but there’s nothing to tell. Guy’s cuckoo, nuts, was telling everyone three different stories, and then said he didn’t want to talk to any of us ghost folk no more! Last I heard he was real deep hiding, no one knows where though. I could tell you whereabouts, but nothing more.”

“And you tell me this why?”

“I’ve seen enough to know when a ghost needs a little memory jog, maybe see you would help him. But like I said, ghost talker, your mist is hardly sufficialable, no way your getting him outta there just yet. Work on your ghost talkin’, then maybe you can draw him outta his hole.”
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Back at it

Postby Nivel on February 10th, 2016, 2:01 am

Theo :
XP Award:
  • Weapon:long Sword 2
  • Endurance 3
  • Reimancy 1
  • Socialization 4
  • Observation 3
  • Tactics 3
  • Acrobatics 2
  • Riding 3
  • Acting 1
  • Subterfuge 1
  • Spiritism 1
  • Investigation 2
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Persuasion 1
  • Negotiation 1
  • Storytelling 1
  • Tracking 1
  • Cooking 1
  • Planning 1
  • Meditation 1
  • Stealth 1
Lore:
  • Peter: a good young man
  • Cromwell: with the lazy eye otherwise known as Lazy
  • Wheaty: A concerned squire.
  • Long Sword: Good weapon for combat without a shield.
  • Yana: The little ghost girl
  • Yana has meet Walden
  • Be humble more often
  • Walden a ghost?
  • Auraistics: Sensory magic
  • The possible whereabouts of Walden’s ghost
Rewards and Penalties:
  • 2 shield point for training
  • 2 shield points for patrolling
  • 1 shield point patron
Notes: Very good but you may need to work on playing your magic to your characters level. At novice level riemancy should take a while to conjure and should be very tiring.I didn’t get that from what you wrote so you could put more detail in to make that clearer. I also think that novice level soul mist shouldn’t last an entire day, novice level magic fades very quickly (I could be wrong about this but it seemed like a stretch). One last tiny thing, magic is supposed to be very mysterious. You probably already know this but I didn’t see a lore Auristics and someone casually mentioned autistics as if it was common knowledge to your character. I gave your character the lore now so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Additional Comments: If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)