PM to join [Windmount Stables] A Unison of Hooves and Beads of Sweat

Garland and Ferrin meet at the Stables, probably some competition occurs between the two Novice horse riders.(Garland)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Windmount Stables] A Unison of Hooves and Beads of Sweat

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 4th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Ferrin
Fall 515 AV, Day 49

Serena stood waiting by the double barn doors after she heard the sound of a horse whinnying. "Well hello stranger," she announced in a friendly tone managing a warm smile. "What can I do for you?" Her brown sugar colored hair swiveled as she stepped nearer to Ferrin and his horse companion.

"Hi, the name is Ferrin. I was told I can practice with horseback here at the Stables?" Another smile came across her face. It seemed to Ferrin that she ended up being bored for quite some time. She was probably talking to the horses in the stalls while tending them. "Oh yes certainly, may I pet him... Ferrin?"

Ferrin is a rare and possibly strange name, she gave a confused look if she was pronouncing it right. Ferrin nodded with a small smile. Although he isn't sitting on the horses' saddle, Ferrin still managed to pull the reins; not hard, but gently. All around him leaves trickled down falling softly onto the hardened earth.

Serena took a mental note of Ferrins caution if riding horses. To be honest, Ferrin is not much of a horse rider. When he left Kenash, his home he was just starting to learn how to ride Cyprus. But then Ferrin found out that his parents have took the role of becoming magistrates for the town.

Why does the government have to be so confusing? Wouldn't it be easier to have a set and stone court with judges and all? Ferrin isn't much of a political person either, so he'll just simply push the thought away from his mind.

¨I was maybe wondering if you can give me a couple of tips on riding horses? My pal Cyprus and I haven´t been riding for awhile. Oh and certainly you are allowed to pet him.¨ Cyprus, his dark coat almost looks as if it can be alternating from two colors, but originally his colored coat is grey. But more of the brighter side, than darker. So his body is almost to be the color of white.

Serena, stood in front of Cyprus, her hand slowly moving closer to his face Cyprus bent his head forward accepting the offer of Serena petting him. "He is a gentle horse Ferrin, my name is Serena." Ferrin happy now that she had finally introduced herself. "Glad to meet you." The young hunter said with a smile. He took out his hand for a shake. Having Serena being able to properly greet him. She happily obliged after smiling.

"Oh you asked about riding tips? I recommend for beginners to hold on tightly to the reins. And try to be respectful to your horse companion." Ferrin nodded hopefully understanding that she is joking around. The basics doesn't seem hard. Hold onto the reins, and you are able to turn the horse one way or another, but don't be to pushy.

"Ok, than you Serena, I'll give it my best." near to the end of the barn Ferrin pulled Cyprus to the fence gates that lead out to the open range. The range can travel on for miles on end, without even having an end. Cyprus looked ready though and Ferrin was a bit nervous though. He hasn't have been able to ride him in awhile.

Ferrin stood on one of Cyprus' sides and climbed up with the step.He then swung his body over and across Cyprus, facing the same way as his horse companion and happy that he got on his horse the right way. "Oh and another thing, if you want your horse to move quicker try tapping its sides with your boots. That will give the stallions attention."

"Thank you Serena. Come on boy lets see how far your legs can take us!" The horse whinnied in excitement. And rushed off towards the plain. Serena waved, finally getting some action out of her day. When Ferrin tilted his head back, he noticed someone familiar riding to the Stables.

Their features are a bit to complicating to specify, but Ferrin is pretty sure that it is someone he has met recently. Ferrin wanted to stop l, but Cyprus felt the urge to keep pushing. A mile passed by with a glance, and Cyprus reared himself to a halt. His realization kicked in and he stopped for his master.

Ferrin nearly flew off his saddle, but regained his position. He turned around and patiently waited for the somewhat familiar figure to catch up.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"
Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 5th, 2015, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Garland on November 5th, 2015, 9:06 am

Garland had taken his favorite horse, Tryn. He was the only that rides this black horse. The horse was unruly, undisciplined, and reckless.

If the knighthood had it's way, the mixed-blood horse would have been turned to meat or set loose, but Garland chose this horse and even though he's wild, he is brave.

Still, Garland would rather be on his feet than ride him for anything less than a battle. Because anything less, he gets rather agitated, but Tryn had not seen much action. That includes races and battles, it would be nice to let the horse stretch his legs.

The ride was pleasant enough, with only a few times Tryn tried to buck off Garland, but when he saw the open track, the horse visibly lit up. Tryn reared high, making Garland hold on tightly.

With his hooves planted firmly on the ground, Tryn bolted into the field. Serena simply sighed and stood back, there was no way to stop the horse when he was like this.

Garland held on tight, he was use to this to some extent, but he still needed to hold on as much as possible. "Slow down you stupid mule!" Garland passed a familiar face, though as he passed the hunter, Tryn sped up and sent Garland to the ground beside Ferrin and his horse.

"Ow..." He mumbled and slowly pushed himself off the dirt, he was wearing his armor, just to get use to wearing it while riding, he still chafes from time to time when he's riding for a long time.

He looked up to Ferrin and grinned. "Hello! Fancy meeting you here! How have you been, you're injuries all healed up? Ow..." He moved his arm a bit to see if it was sprained or not. "Don't worry about my horse, he'll miss me sooner or later and come back to pick me up."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 5th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Ferrin

Ferrins assumption ended up being correct after all. The Knight he met at that bandit camp in the forest, Garland was it? And his friend Sylvia. Garlands stallion pushed its speed to its full extent. Once they passed Ferrin and Cyprus, Ferrins eyes spotted no rider. The horse zoomed with tremendous speed and agility. Already far ahead of Garland And Ferrin.

"Hello! Fancy meeting you here! How have you been, you're injuries all healed up? Ow..." Ferrin got out of his saddle, and pets Cyprus on the mane signifying to stay put. A nice gesture for the two of them to know. Although Ferrin isn't a preffesional rider,Cyprus and him have gained a big bond. Traveling miles from Kenash to get to Sylrias.

Cyprus whinnied, wanting apples. One of his favorite fruits to eat. Or basically the only thing he eats other than bales of hay and feed. "Ok ok Cyprus you can go eat some of those apples over there, but if I whistle you come back promise?" The horse whinnied and snorted in disgust wishing that he won't have to run for the work ethic.

The horse turned and trotted over to the nearest tree, about a mile away, but close enough that Ferrin can keep an eye on him. "Yeah it is a coincidence. Here let me help you up. And my injuries, they weren't too major just some brusing on the sides thats all. Nothing to worry about."

Ferrin lent out his hand after Garland checked to see if he injured something. He looks fine. That armor he's wearing seems to be pulling on his weight. Whenever he saw someone with armor Ferrin crunches with the fact of how heavy it is. Always slowing you down. Even though the armor is for protection, Ferrin doesn't like it when he is slow and heavy.

He took a look at Garlands horse who still seems to be skipping strides. 'That horse can run I wonder what breed that is?' 'Cyprus can run as fast too, he was close to the title of fastest horse in Kenash. Cyprus is probably the third fastest overall. Compared to the others in Kenash. But Syliras is a whole different city and everything.

Maybe the horses here were designed for strength and speed? "What brings you here Garland?"

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on November 6th, 2015, 12:57 pm

"One of the fastest horse in Kenesh you say?" Garland looked over to his horse with a small smile. "He doesn't have a special breed as far as I can tell, I think he's a mixed blood. Tiaden warhorses are made to be strong and fast enough to chase down anything else, but Tryn is no where near as fast or as strong as the creme of the crop, still... he would give them a run for their mizas."

After that Tryn stopped short behind Garland and pushed him a bit, making the squire stumble, and the horse simply snorted. "I know, I know, you've had your run, and now you want some kind of challenge." Garland rubbed the back of Tryn's ear, making the horse neigh contently.

"I know where to scratch you, you dumb mule." With that, Tryn lunged his head forward to take a bite of Garland's face, luckily Garland moved back and dodged the bite.

"Well... I think he wants a challenge. Ferrin, what do you say to a little race, maybe teach me a few pointers in riding. So far, Tryn has been leading me to wherever he wants. When he feels like it, but I do know how to ride a horse, well... a horse that actually listens from time to time." Garland went over to Tryn's side and climbed on to ride the horse.

He sat straight up, making sure his back, and held the reins tightly. "How about a race Ferrin? I want to see one of the fastest horse in Kenesh in action." Though he could just be exaggerating, but by the looks of it, his horse was well-built and well-nourished. A strong horse if Garland had ever seen one.

Tryn neighed, agreeing to a prospect of a race. Tryn trotted off to the starting line of the track, without Garland giving any command. "Oh... Looks like I'm heading off already, sorry about that!" With that Tryn waited impatiently for his opponent to come to the starting line.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 6th, 2015, 4:03 pm

Ferrin

Ferrin took two fingers and put them in his mouth for a signal whistle, one that Cyprus knows very well. He whinnied with a half of mouthful of apple bits. Trotting over with speed, he pushed his head into Ferrin. "Cyprus, I guess we have competition with us. You mind going easy with me boy?" He whinnied, probably a yes. But maybe hes asking for more apples.

When Ferrin was a little younger than he is now, he and his father would watch the horse races in Kenash. They watched the horses in awe and amazement with there tremendous speed and what not. Just a couple of years a go, Ferrin inherited a calf from a really good friend of Ferrins father. An Akalak no doubt, knowing how much Ferrins parents get along with them.

Now, the present. Ferrin responded to Cyprus, telling him he'll buy his horse companion a bucket full of apples. It's time to test Cyprus' speed after all to see if he still has the ability of the fastest horse. Tryn is really eager to start the race and he ended up scooping Garland up in his saddle and they took off to where the beginning of the track rests.

Cyprus's hoves beating across the earthen ground sounding like drum beats. It didn't take too long for them to reach the start of the track. Tryn eager as ever seemed really anxious to get things starting and Garland seemed to be having some sort of trouble finding his grip.

Garland asked Ferrin for riding tips, but Ferrin hasn't been riding Cyprus for a long time, been pretty much rusty. Cyprus promises that he'll keep Ferrin on the saddle if Ferrin buys him apples. It's always appels with Cyprus nothing else. Maybe that is his enegry food or something?

"Tryn seems to want to get this race started then. What's the stakes? Winner gets what and loser gets what?" Ferrin smiled. Making the race feel more, interesting. Hope the stakes aren't something embarrassing if one loses. Tryn looks pretty strong. His agility could last him quite a while if he doesn't get pushed for too long.

With Cyprus, he is a fast horse, titled in Kenash as one of the few fastest horses. Ferrin felt nervous though. He hasn't done this in a while. Ferrin stopped Cyprus next to Tryne facing the same way that Garland has his own horse companion facing.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on November 7th, 2015, 10:26 am

"The stakes? Well... How about... the loser does anything the winner wants to do, but nothing too... embarrassing. I wouldn't want to embarrass you too badly." He said with a small smirk. Though honestly he was just playing around, he wouldn't mind doing anything crazy, if Ferrin could think of something embarrassing, Garland has probably done it at one point or another.

Though some of things he had done had been under the influence of alcohol. Of course he couldn't care any less of what people thought of him, all that mattered was that he knew his own strengths and weaknesses.

He was not ashamed of what he had done, because if anything, they taught him one thing. 'Whatever the choices are, whatever the outcome, how they affect you is completely up to you, they can make you or break you' and Garland has chosen to let his experiences build him up, all the misfortune, the neglect, and the abuse, shaped him to what he was right now.

Well... What he was right now is a carefree idiot that's willing to risk what shred of dignity he has left in a horse race, but still.

"Sound good?" He said and waved over to Serena. "Hey Serena!" He yelled. "How about starting the race for us, and see who of us wins?" He yelled and pressed his fingers behind Tryn's ear.

"You got this, you know what you're doing,and if I wasn't here you would be blazing through the track." He said softly in the horse's ear, gently rubbing behind his ear. "If you win, I'll brush your coat for an hour, if you lose you'd still probably make me brush your coat for an hour, you thick-headed mule, so I know you'll be determined to win."

He looked over to his opponent and smiled. "Ready? As soon as Serena gives the signal, we go, and see who's the better rider, and who has the better horse."

Tryn whinnied in annoyance.

"Alright, alright, you don't belong to anyone." Garland said and grabbed the reins and stared down the track and saw the bend a little distance away.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 7th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Ferrin

The palma of Ferrins hands were beginning to feel sweaty. Cyprus hasn't riden in awhile. Are his legs still capable of being pushed that far. The young hunter spotted the bend of the first turn at least hoping to make it that far without falling off the saddle.

Stakes aren't to bad. Winner gets to do what they want. Ferrin is alright with that. Garland and Tryn almost were very eager and excited about this minor competition. Cyprus tilted his head up for Ferrin to scratch the back of the ears. "Don't worry boy, it's not that bad. I'll probably have to learn how to ride sooner or later."

Cyprus whinnied with excitement as if saying 'thank the Gods you have finally said that.' Ferrin scracted Cyprus' ears smiling, feeling more comfortable now with the race. Garland called Serena over. She seemed happy enough to start it. "You guys seem very eager to start this race, huh?" She smiled.

She looked at both Ferrin and Garland. Making sure that they are prepared and nothing looks wrong. Cyprus whinnied in eagerness and shook his head, his horse hair flowing through with the motion. "Ok, I'm ready to start. The stakes sound good to me Garland. I'm ready if you are."

The young hunter turned his head to face Garland. Expressing a warm filled smile. For a cold season, things look warm enough to Ferrin. At least.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on November 9th, 2015, 12:30 am

Garland returned the smile and soon Serena signaled for them to start, Garland gave a firm kick to Tryn's side and sent the horse down the track, his hair was blown back as Tryn rushed down the track.

His hooves stomped swiftly on the well-ridden track, Garland leaned down keeping his feet on the stirrups and his hands gripped tightly on the reins as he was jostled about.

He looked around and saw Ferrin pretty close, he was pretty good, but it seemed that Ferrin was just letting his horse go. He must have quite a bond with his mount, or the hunter's mount is just as thick-headed as Garland's.

As the two of the riders sped towards the bend Garland pulled the reins slowly, making sure to let Tryn know to slow down before hitting the bend. The horse, while annoyed, saw the truth Garland saw, if Tryn moved too fast they would go pass the track and possibly tumble. Tryn slowed down, maybe enough for Ferrin to get ahead.

Still Tryn was not deterred by anything, if anything the rider and the mount shared is the same amount of stubbornness. In truth, Garland just looked like he was riding, Tryn was doing all the work here and Garland was just on for the ride.

As soon as the Tryn finished the bend, Garland spurred Tryn on. Tryn's hooves kicked up the dust and dirt all around them, Tryn was really pushing it, it was only one lap, but Garland felt that his horse might be pushing himself a bit too far.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 9th, 2015, 2:34 am

Ferrin

From ones point of view it might seem that Ferrin might not be doing any work. But with Ferrins' point of view he begs the difference. The young hunter, grasps the reins with his full strength. Cyprus is going to fast for Ferrin.

Well his pace of definitely slower when they were younger if course, but that was when Ferrin took Cyprus out every day when he was able to. They turned on the first bend, and Garland slowed down Tryn, his stallion.

As they slowed Ferrin clicked his heels to Cyprus' sides as well. Even though they are about an inch ahead Ferrin didn't want to push Cyprus too hard. The horse whinnied in disgust as Cyprus was not enjoying the fact if it needing to slow down.

Tryn was catching up though, and Ferrin noticed that it seemed to be pressing itself too hard. Luckily Garland lowered his pace a bit too, otherwise they would've crashed. The second bend isn't too far away now.

And Ferrins palms were starting to feel numb through the vibration of the horses feet vibrating through its body and surging it through the saddle. Ferrin was having somewhat difficulty trying to stay aboard the saddle.

As they passed the second bend Cyprus regained his pace of speed and sped up. Now ahead of Tryn by a whole horse. Ferrin was bouncing up and down on his saddle "Cyprus, you are going too fast pal. Slow down or we'll topple over!" Ferrin exclaimed in panic.

Cyprus whinnied, obviously too thrilled for the speed he is going in. After the second bend had occurred Cyprus took a bad step, he kept going though. But the horse didn't realize that Ferrin had lost his grip on the reins.

The young hunter took a tumble on the ground. Rolling a bit "Ergh." Ferrin exclaimed as he sat upright. Nothing is broken, luckily. That fall sent him a couple of yards away. He sat there allowing the blood to flow back to its normal condition.

Ferrin watched as Garland kept racing against Cyprus. 'Did Garland notice?' Ferrin was definitely curious. A moment passed and Ferrin finally had chosen to stand up and brush off his clothes.

"What will I do with you Cyprus?" He mumbled to himself. Still watching Garland and His companion race.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on November 9th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Garland had noticed Ferrin stumble and fall off his horse, he tried slowing down Tryn to help Ferrin up, but his horse didn't obey, he just kept going on and on.

Garland himself just looked back, a bit concerned about his friend, but his horse doesn't care. He just kept running. It seemed that Cyprus was going faster now without any extra weigh, leaving Garland and Tryn in the dust.

Tryn was annoyed at this, the black stallion was tired, but it had no energy left to gallop any longer. "Well, I don't think we can call this a lost, Ferrin's horse lost it's rider around the bend, unfair advantage I'd say."

With the race done, Garland climbed off his horse and went over to meet Ferrin. "Well, that was fun." He smiled. "I wouldn't count that as a victory, since there wasn't a rider on your horse."

"You have quite a fast horse, I wouldn't say the 'fastest' but very fast." He gace a large grin and looked around. "Well... I honestly don't have any idea what to make you do, other than dance around in your underpants in the middle of the track yelling 'I have become king of the horses', but I think that would be a bit too cruel don't you think?" He gave a hearty laugh and pat the man on the back.

"Well, if anything it's the horses that won, I overheard you say you'd promise your horse a few apples if you win, but it was your horse that crossed the finish line first, and now my horse needs a bit of brushing. I think we're both losers in this race!"
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next