Closed A Chilly Day for Training (Joanna)

Joanna teaches Ferrin all sorts of things. But this is just the beginning.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Chilly Day for Training (Joanna)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 6th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Ferrin
Fall 515 AV, Day 11

Ferrin awoke within the hospitality of the Heralds Arms. Exhaustedly sat up in his bed remembering where he is. 'The Heralds Arms.' Ferrins day ended up being busy. He came to his room late last night not even peckish.

He also realized that he should meet Joanna again. A Kelvick friend he had met just yesterday and she felt the necessity of training Ferrin. And Ferrin respects that aspect of course. And Ferrin promised that he'll meet Joanna at the e cafe near the Main Gates today.

A tick or so passed by and Ferrin is still sitting in his bed. Finally, he has gotten the urge to get out of bed and get ready for the late He slipped on his boots and his cloak, gathered up his 'tools' and headed out locking the door behind him. "Got to hurry." Ferrin mumbled to himself. Although it is still early in the morning Ferrin didn't want to take his risks of being late. Especially since it is his first day of training.

"How early does Joanna want me to be there?" He asked himself. Rushing down the staircase Ferrin managed a wave to the bartender at the counter. Before one knew it, Ferrin was already out the front door and into the streets.

Surprisingly, it isn't as busy as it is during the late mornings of Sylrias. Well later than this early. Ferrin began to hurry off, close to where the Main Gates are positioned. It only took about a half a chime to reach the location.

Hopefully he isn't late, well it seems impossible for someone to be late this early in the morning. Ferrin slowed his running pace down to a paced walk catching his breath, he seem to have pushed himself hard to get where he wanted to go. A tick or so passed by and Ferrin stood at the front door rethinking the way of how things might go if he ended up being late.

"Does it matter?" Ferrin asked himself. Would it be so bad on the first day if Ferrin ended up late for his first training session.

Ferrin used his two hands to push open the wooden door. And quickly sat down after closing the wooden mechanism. "Hello sir, would you like anything?" Ferrin set down his 'tools' so they wouldn't get to be annoying, or wouldn't worry anyone.

"I would like a coffee please." The waitress happily obliged to the concept of the drink. "Ok then coming up." She hurriedly ran off to fetch some fresh coffe. Ferrin sat still in his seat awaiting either Joanna or the waitress to come back. To kill time Ferrin took out a silver locket with an image of his family.

He sighed getting a small feeling of homesickness. But he can't turn back now, not with all he has been through. Still waiting for the coffe to come he kept thinking of home, and went deep into his thoughts about all of the things he might be missing out on.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on November 13th, 2015, 12:48 am

Though the chill of autumn could not penetrate her thick armor, Joanna could still feeling the wind cutting through the gaps. It was getting colder and colder with each passing day in Syliras, and pretty soon she'd have to start wearing her cloak or add another layer of clothes beneath her suit. It was a hassle. The more she had on, the heavier it was, and the more likely it would hinder her in a fight. The cloak was the worst culprit. Nothing's worse than having a piece of thick cloth flapping in front of you while you're trying to work. Though a fur cloak might fare better for her, since it'd be more insulated and less vulnerable to the whims of the wind.

She sighed, thanking Priskil that Summer had passed, at least. For as cold as it got in these lands, the heat was more unbearable. Years of wearing the gear had made her (mostly) use to it, but nothing was worse than baking inside a suit of armor in 100+ temperatures. So she would take the cold, and not complain to much about it.

The cold also had something to do with how early it was. The sun was still mostly settled beneath the sheet of mountains on the horizon, its lazy rays turning the sky a dull indigo. There was enough light to see without a torch, but not bright enough to merit putting one out. She enjoyed this time of day most, though. Seeing the world wake up, the daily cycle beginning again, the sun rising on another day of possibilities. It filled her with hope. Knowing that, no matter what, the sun would rise another day filled her with determination.

Joanna was surprised to see Ferrin at the table already, thinking it'd be another few bells before he would have woken up. She was already starting to unpack her book as she walked in and saw him. Ah well, the earlier they began, the more work they could do And given that Ferrin had probably never held mace before, it'd be a while before she could trust him around fragile objects and people.

"Good morning. You're... actually really early. But that's good! You show commitment at least... If not a poor sleep cycle." She was one to talk. "Regardless, It's good to know you're eager to get started. But let's get some breakfast before we get started. We'll need a full stomach" She ordered a cup of coffee and a sweet roll, happily smiling at the waitress as she took the order back to the kitchen.

"So, Ferrin. Tell me about your skills. What kind of experience do you have with one-handed weapons. Or, any weapon for that matter"

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Words: 76579
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2015, 5:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 13th, 2015, 3:57 am

Ferrin

As Ferrin sat in his seat. Thoughts, thoughts and more thoughts pondered through the mind of the young hunter. He couldn't help, but think of his future in Syliras. Becoming a Knight, gleaming armor while riding through battle on his horse mount. His companion, Cyprus.

All at an instant, he jumped by the sound of the Cafés door opening. Almost tipping over his cup of coffee. Ferrin turned his head to the sound that had interrupted his thoughts. Surprisingly, he found out that it was Joanna with a glance.

She came in, a warm expression encased her face as she neared Ferrin with a smile and a wave of greeting. She sat down across from the hunter. She ordered herself a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee, though Ferrin already has his cup. He chimed in with a order of the cinnamon roll. An order that he wills to pay with. Good morning. You're... actually really early. But that's good! You show commitment at least... If not a poor sleep cycle."

Well, if Ferrins' sleep cycle was poor. What would be a perfect one, eh? But Ferrin didn't want to admit of his sleeping issues; only when the time feels right he will. That's for sure. And he can go out a few days without the sleep, if he doesn't push himself for too long. "Morning Cap'n." Ferrin chuckled a bit.

Pretending slightly; having an accent of a sailors'. Ferrin is just glad to see Joanna again. And he hopes that Joanna would be a great friend, and maybe a really good captain. He hopes for both with a high reputation.

"Regardless, It's good to know you're eager to get started. But let's get some breakfast before we get started. We'll need a full stomach." Joanna explained. Ferrin nodded. And as if on cue; the waitress came back with the requested orders.

The sweet and warm smell wafted through the room. Making Ferrin feel a sensational calmness within him. He can't wait to begin training. Especially when it comes down to having a good and tasty meal. All of this waiting had gotten Ferrin hungry. But he decided to follow his guideline of manners and politeness.

He took an unused napkin from the table, and placed it onto the top of his lap. The napkin preparing itself for the fresh crumbs that might dribble down Ferrins' mouth.

"Can't wait actually. I'm more than eager to begin training. " Ferrin smiled. He took a bite of his roll and as he did so Joanna asked him a question; one, that is of basic inquiry. "So, Ferrin. Tell me about your skills. What kind of experience do you have with one-handed weapons. Or, any weapon for that matter."

Come to think of it. Ferrin almost forgot what the type of blade he used was called until Joanna asked him of what melee weapons he can use. So far, one: a short broadsword. To be exact.

Ferrin responds "Well actually; I use a short broadsword. I can be somewhat 'crafty' with it. The use of my sword; I do not use it much though, my skill level is decent enough when in combat. "He finished with a sip of his cup of coffee.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Joanna Familiaris on November 20th, 2015, 2:38 am

Joanna happily drank in the soothing atmosphere of the cafe as the heat of the ovens filled the building with a thick, wheat-smelling warmth. Only the occasional draft made its way through the cracks in the door, but it could not cut its way through Joanna's armor. Instead, she happily steamed inside the thick layers, a situation she would have been much less thankful for if it were in the blazing heat of summer. But this was a thought she had already explored.

"Well actually; I use a short broadsword. I can be somewhat 'crafty' with it. The use of my sword; I do not use it much though, my skill level is decent enough when in combat."

"Crafty?" It certainly wasn't unheard of, but informal fighting techniques caused a great deal more trouble for the wielder than the target in most cases. "Well, I'm sure that acting in an unpredictable manner could catch your enemy offguard, but if you end up overextending, or putting yourself in an awkward position... well... you're not going to have a great time" She gave a weak laugh and took a bite of her roll before washing it down with coffee.

"Technique is incredibly important in battle. Yes, it's predictable and boring sometimes, but if you can adhere to a set of guidelines for battle, you'll be able to face any foe without fear. It's... like a game of chess." Except Joanna was absolutely terrible at most board games, card games, and anything that required any amount of extreme brainpower. She wasn't a very booksmart individual. "Err... more like rock, paper, scissors. Learn when to counter, when to strike, when to feign, to dodge, to roll, to block. Watch for patterns in their strikes, moments of fatigue in their flurries, weakness in their armor, openings in their stances. The worst thing you can do, especially with something as flimsy as a sword, is to attack without purpose." To accentuate this point, Joanna pounded a fist against her chest.

"So that is your first lesson. Fighting with purpose. I assume you know proper sword handling, and posture, so I won't go through that" She said with a dismissive hand gesture, taking another sip of her coffee. "Everything in a battle is a resource. Stamina, strength, territory, weather, weapons, armor, all of it can be utilized. And in the case of stamina, it's something that will eventually run out. So don't waste it on feeble attacks or pointless jukes. I don't care how impressive it is to spin and dance with your blades. If you're not accomplishing anything, then you've just wasted precious resources."

"Got it?" Her voice was more authoritative now, and she waited for Ferrin to take in all the information she had flooded him with.
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 20th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Ferrin

Maybe crafty was the wrong way to put it. Though Ferrin can handle a blade decently enough, well, in a situation that can involve death. That is for certain. But he is no master with the short broadsword. And that is also certain.

Joanna explains to Ferrin, "Well, I'm sure that acting in an unpredictable manner could catch your enemy offguard, but if you end up overextending, or putting yourself in an awkward position... well... you're not going to have a great time." Ferrin understands highly. If he released an unpredictable style of swordplay techniques. He can catch his opponent off guard and finish them off when capable too.

Ferrin took a couple more sips before Joanna finished her first explanation. Still listening intently. But casually as he does so. After she finished the first explanation. She laughed slightly and weakly. As if the thought was depressing enough to be expressed.

Again Ferrin understood, one wrong move against a foe. That will give them an opportunity to strike hard and possibly finish you off. If your not careful. Ferrin nodded in agreement and smiled sightly, putting his cup of coffee down. Joanna kept explaining, stopping every now and then to eat her roll.

"Technique is incredibly important in battle. Yes, it's predictable and boring sometimes, but if you can adhere to a set of guidelines for battle, you'll be able to face any foe without fear. It's... like a game of chess."

Ferrin wasn't the best at chess. In fact he isn't very good at any strategizing in games. But he always managed to beat his brother in swordplay, fighting with wooden crafted swords. He smiled warmly at that thought. Ferrin still kept his intensive attention.

Better to pay attention thoroughly on the first day then daydreaming. "Alright." Ferrin agreed firmly, but with a warm smile. He didn't want to intercede Joanna until she was completely finished with all of her explanations. Throughout that time, Ferrin kept sipping on his coffee and listened. Keeping eye contact as she speaks, with an authoritative tone.

"Err... more like rock, paper, scissors. Learn when to counter, when to strike, when to feign, to dodge, to roll, to block. Watch for patterns in their strikes, moments of fatigue in their flurries, weakness in their armor, openings in their stances. The worst thing you can do, especially with something as flimsy as a sword, is to attack without purpose."

A sword that can be flimsy probably will not be as effective as something heavy. Something like a...Mace? He took his eyes off if Joanna for a split second taking a look at what she has belted to her side. And what Ferrin assumed was correct she carries with her something as heavy or exactly like a mace.

Or maybe it is a mace? Anyways in order to not get any terrible consequences, Ferrin kept a light gaze upon Joanna. But to attack without purpose? Why attack without a purpose? How would one figure out an attacking style if Ferrin can't attack without purpose?

"So that is your first lesson. Fighting with purpose. I assume you know proper sword handling, and posture, so I won't go through with that." Ferrin nodded."Ok. And agreed.

"Everything in a battle is a resource. Stamina, strength, territory, weather, weapons, armor, all of it can be utilized. And in the case of stamina, it's something that will eventually run out. So don't waste it on feeble attacks or pointless jukes. I don't care how impressive it is to spin and dance with your blades. If you're not accomplishing anything, then you've just wasted precious resources."

Joannas' voice was once a soothing calmed voice, but as she spoke just now these two words "Got it?"
He understood fully. This was only the beginning of Joannas training. Not to be wrong or anything her voice is still sitting when she speaks. Ferrin realizes that this is serious now and he is ready to begin working."I'm ready, captain. "He smiled.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Joanna Familiaris on November 28th, 2015, 2:58 pm

He was, at the very least, very receptive to information. Joanna knew she wasn't the best at retaining information herself and had suffered in many of her studies despite a willingness to learn and a passion for knowledge. It just seemed like she was running her hand through a river with all the wisdom slipping through her fingers and passing through to richer banks. It was a shame. Joanna wouldn't consider herself dumb, but she was clearly less educated than most. The only fields of study she could claim to have any solid grasp on were fighting, Camping, and Lady Priskil, and even then she questioned her mastery on the subjects, as would many others who tested her skills and knowledge. It was a burden, to be sure, but one Joanna had been learning to bear. Even if she wasn't the smartest, or smarter than most, she could at least be happy knowing she had her mace and shield to replace whatever intelligence she may lack.

She shook the thoughts away. There was no use in pitying herself over things she couldn't change. If the gods had seen fit to give her the blessing of strength over intelligence, then she would gratefully accept and use her powers to serve them. It was, after all, the one lesson she managed to remembered with clarity. Service to the gods was service to the people. And service to the people was service to MIzahar. Joanna knew that a life dedicated to holy worship and selfless service would lead her to a path of enlightenment and splendor, no matter how hard the road leading there would be. So it was with great joy that Joanna now served Ferrin.

"Good! Well, now that our bellies are warm and our spirits high, let's not waste any more time!" The warrior rose out of her seat with a loud grunt, stretching backwards with her arms outstretched to pop the bones along her spine and shoulders. She wasn't thrilled to leave the warmth of the cafe, but knew that their training couldn't take place in here even if she wanted. They'd have to take it outside, back to the forest. Hopefully all the running around would warm up their bodies enough to ward off the cold, as the winter season was drawing ever closer, threatening to suffocate the world under a blanket of snow. It would be a harsh season. She had never stayed a winter in Syliras, but knew enough of it to know she'd need to bundle herself up and stay indoors. Thankfully, her years of traveling had made her more or less immune to gnawing frost or scorching heat, but that didn't mean it didn't affect her.

She wasted no time in leading them back out to main thoroughfare were people were already beginning to populate the dimly lit streets. The sun was reluctantly rising into the sky as the world beneath it woke to its rays. Joanna was already feeling spry and alert, even as the townsfolk around her grunted and groaned in their half-waking state like zombies shambling to their master's will. It was somewhat amusing.

But before long, the two of them were past the front gates and into the dense woods. They did not travel far, just far enough to avoid the prying eyes of travelers and guardsmen, but close enough to see the towering walls of the city blot out the starry morning sky. The breeze was not as strong as it was earlier, but it brought an invigorating chill that made the hair on her neck rise.

"This spot will work. Alright... now the first thing I want you to do is to hit me with your sword." She said, standing at attention. A smile broke across her lips. "Don't be afraid of hurting me. I've taken worse. But, uh... don't aim for anything vital." She chuckled.
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 28th, 2015, 6:28 pm

Ferrin

Ferrin was intent on learning new things. Especially, when he learns about a subject where he is interested about it. As the two finished the conversation and Ferrin finished the last of his coffee, they both gathered their things and head out. It didn't take long till they reached the Main Gates. After exiting out of the Gates, they passed through the woods and stopped at a clearing. One not too far away, the distance is relevantly close enough to see the walls through these confusing woods.

Now a day for training has begun, and the first request almost seemed ridiculous to Ferrin. "This spot will work. Alright... now the first thing I want you to do is to hit me with your sword." Joanna said as she stood with attention, her muscles tensing and shoulders upright. Really? She wants me to hit her with my sword? Ferrin asked himself. Ferrin took a deep breath and placed his hunting gear upon a fallen log. Walking back to meet Joanna with a friendly yet curious gaze. "Don't be afraid of hurting me. I've taken worse. But, uh... don't aim for anything vital." It's not the part of fear of hitting Joanna, it's just preposterous to Ferrin that Joanna wanted Ferrin to hit her with his sword on the first day of training.

The young hunter slowly unsheathed his short broadsword. One foot balanced in front of the other."Ok. Here it goes."Ferrin said with a slight smile and still curious. He prepared his b His left foot behind his right. Ready to strike, using a simple thrusting gesture. Striking at Joannas armour. Not sure what will happen next. Even though his father did a lot of training with him when he was younger he still didn't understand the use of knowing how to be tactical with his sword.
OOCSorry about the length. Basically Ferrin is attempting to stab at the amour. Hope it's decent enough.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Joanna Familiaris on December 2nd, 2015, 4:10 pm

Joanna felt her muscles tense as Ferrin got into a fighting stance. She knew her armor could withstand a simple sword jab, but it didn't mean it wouldn't hurt. The warrior felt some apprehension, of course, but she continued to study the hunter's stance and felt the anxiety in her chest loosen as her mind started busying itself with scrutinizing every detail of his movements. Her eyes studied his feet, his legs, his arms, noticing the small details in his posture. Whatever perceptiveness she lacked in the classroom was more than made up for with this particular ability, an ability developed after years of brutal training from her family's personal quartermaster and their own apprentices, and an ability that had proven invaluable in many situations. She could see every muscle twisting and twitching beneath the surface, every vein pumping with blood, every hair prickling with fear or excitement.

At least, it would be a great power, if it didn't pull her attention away from herself. She was too busy studying Ferrin's swordsmanship to realize she had gotten stabbed in the gut.

"NGH!" She half-shouted, half-grunted. The plates had stopped the blade from hitting flesh, but it was mostly the shock that made Joanna cry out rather than any actual pain. "Ah... I'm alright." Flush rose to her cheeks as she hid away her excuses, using anything she could to divert both her and Ferrin to a different topic. "Your feet. They're too close together. If you would done that in a real battle, I could have have sidestepped the blow and sent you tumbling into the mud." She gripped the sword's blade with her gauntlet and wiggled it around until Ferrin would release his hold on it.

"Here, watch" The sword felt much lighter than her mace. Much, much lighter. It felt like one of the wooden replicas she had used in training, just with less risk of splinters. It would just make swinging it alot easier. Her feet slid into position like her legs were cast into this exact posture, her right foot sliding back and angled away while her left planted itself firmly into the ground to root her in place. Her weight shifted back once she was in position, holding up a mock shield in her off hand while the sword fit firmly into her right palm. Her fingers tensed, and before Ferrin could say anything, Joanna had already stepped forward like a giant beast, shaking the ground beneath them while her arm pulled back like a ballista before unleashing her strength.

"HOOAAAH!" She shouted, thrusting the sword towards Ferrin. Or, at least, towards the space directly to Ferrin's left. The sword was a breath away from his face, close enough for a "whoosh"ing sound to blow past his ear. Joanna was still frozen mid-stance, her arm outstreched and her feet rooted like great oaks.

"That... is how you attack. Now, you try" She spoke sweetly, as if to offset the near-death-experience she had caused the young boy. She chuckled and patted his head with the flat of the blade before handing it back and getting into a defensive position. This time, she would pay more attention to the sword than Ferrin. "No holding back!" She said, eyes sparkling with mischief.

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on December 3rd, 2015, 1:29 am

Ferrin

As Ferrin thrusts the blade, the blade clanked against the armor creating a clanking noise. But from Joanna, her reply wasn't what Ferrin expected. It kind of went like "Ngh." Ferrin stepped back, startled. Joannas screech kind of sounded like a horse after it ate a bad apple, maybe the bad apple was the blade? Or maybe Joanna wasn't prepared for the strike? She seemed to have had calmed herself though. "Ah... I'm alright." She replied subtle like. "Did I do something wrong, I'm sorry if I hurt you?" Ferrin replied, he didn't mean to give Joanna any harm, but he hoped that it wasn't his fault.

"Your feet." Joanna said. Ferrin looked down, he realized that he was back in his original position before he striked at Joanna. He blushed, accepting that it might have been a mistake on bow he had positioned himself.'Oh."He said a bit calmly. "They're too close together. If you would done that in a real battle, I could have have sidestepped the blow and sent you tumbling into the mud." Ferrin replied with a curious expression. He still has a mindset of learning. So he'll try to grasp all that he can get his grubby mind on. Ferrin handed Joanna his blade, before he could react. She had simply thrusted the blade near Ferrins face, creating a wooshing sound.

Ferrin stood rooted in position. Somewhat shocked and flabbergasted. His curly hair swiveled through the wind of the again as the blade had been withdrawn. Away from Ferrins face. She handed the blade back to Ferrin and he snapped back to reality. Ready to not make the same mistake again. "That... is how you attack. Now, you try" Ferrin nodded. But hesitated a bit, he had some random thoughts and inquiries scattering throughout his mind. She spoke softly though, almost reminding Ferrin of a voice that can be of a sweet and little girl. A girl that might seem innocent, but can also play a lot of mischievous tricks.

"No holding back!" Joanna exclaimed, but there was one thing that made him slightly hesitant.

Thoughts, thinking of how crazy it would be thrusting a blade at his captain. Or how things can end badly. And other related things. He got to his original position, but this time doing what Joanna had suggested. Spreading his feet more apart before he strikes. Ferrin did another simple thrust, aiming for Joannas armour. Kicking dirt and fallen leaves as he shuffled his feet.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Joanna Familiaris on December 12th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Joanna's eyes flashed as she trained her sights on Ferrin, watching his feet shuffle across the dirt in sync with his torso as it twisted and leaned towards her. She could see the muscles surge across his arms and legs as each one pulled taut, shifting under the skin in a coordinated effort, before they locked into place, holding the potential energy for just long enough to release it with deadly force. Joanna could feel her stomach tightened as she waited for the strike.

The sword rushed forward, the metal shaft cutting through the pillars of light that broke through the canopy as the sunlight glinted off the blade's edge. She could hear it whistling through the air as it raced towards her, the focused point aimed right at her torso. Within a single breath, Joanna raised an arm to her opposite shoulder while her main hand clutched her mace and released her lungs. The blade drew even closer, and Joanna drew in another breath. Finally, as she exhaled, Joanna responded to the sword thrust with a powerful backwards swing of her hand, colliding with the sword in a flash of sparks and screaming metal. Wrestling her mace out of its holster, Joanna brough it around towards Ferring, bringing it overhead with a mighty yell.

"HOAAAAH!" She shouted, bearing down the mace on Ferrin. Or, at least, onto the air just over his head. She had cut her swing short, as to not make mincemeat of her new apprentice. Last thing she wanted was to clean up her friend's brain from the forest floor. Instead, she let it hover just over his head before lightly bopping him with the shaft.

"See? You won't hurt me." She chuckled and continued on in a sarcastic turn."But nice work. You could really menace a motionless target." She gave him a wink and returned to her resting position before stowing her mace back in its rightful place. "I kid. Your form was good. And your execution was near-flawless" "For a rookie", she thought. But that seemed rude. "Of course, as you can probably tell, not every opponent will wait for you to attack them. You have to keep yourself ready for anything to happen, and avoid using any attack that would stop you in your tracks or otherwise make you wide open. Instead, use attacks you can quickly recover from. Basically, keep moving, keep attacking, and stay Kinetic. Its a fighting strategy I call 'Battle Momentum'."

She got back into her defensive stance. "Now try attacking me again, but be ready for a counter attack."

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Next