Closed [The Bronze Woods] The Stick and the Stone. (Varsk)

A chance encounter. On a chilly day.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Woods] The Stick and the Stone. (Varsk)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 9th, 2015, 4:01 am

Ferrin
Fall 50th, 515AV, Afternoon.

A warm fire, not just any fire. But a campfire blazed happily throughout the daylight. As one hunter, Ferrin is cooking his small game over this campfire that he had made just a couple of ticks before.

The campfire was set up at a nice little clearing out in the Bronze Woods. One fallen log used as a bench would be occupationally used by one person. And that person of course would be Ferrin. Who else would be here hunting at this time?

Eh? It is in the afternoon. So it isn't too early, besides maybe Ferrin can encounter someone new? Not that he hadn't already. He seems to have meet more people outside of Sylrias than within the city itself.

Do far, after Ferrin scanned his campsite(with no tent) Ferrin assumes that he is safe away from harm. And he will be able to do what he pleases without any dangers lurking around these peaceful woods. What can go wrong?

Ferrins' meal finally began to roast to a nice and tender touch. 'Soon I will go back to hunting once I get my relaxing time.' Ferrin thought to himself. The campsite seems clear and Ferrin doesn't have to worry about thieves or any dangers of the sort.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Varsk on November 9th, 2015, 4:49 pm

It was daylight, and Varsk was awake. As such, Varsk was not happy. During any normal day, he would have been asleep, lazing about on some tree branch, dead to the world until the sun started to set.

As it were, he was very much alive, and very irritable. This had been happening a lot as of late, just waking up during the day, and it annoyed him so. He found that it disturbed his nightly activities, such as hunting: when trying to catch something, it was not ideal that you were hit by a wave of drowsiness, and staggered back slightly, alerting your would-be dinner as to what was on the menu.

He was pacing through the woods in his ocelot form, yawning periodically, sometimes climbing up trees and lying on a branch in a vain attempt to catch some sleep. He must have walked several miles this day, which would be approaching his record for walking while the sun was shining. This was not something he was pleased about; he would much rather not walk at all.

His bones ached from the walking he had done during the last moon or so; it seemed to be all he had done. Was it normal for people to walk around Sylira when sleep was hard to come by? He was sure it was some terrible trick: it must be a cruel god who inflicted someone with the will to sleep and the inability to do so.

He walked along a few minutes more, his mind fogged over slightly, before he noticed the smoke. Smoke generally meant to things Varsk: a cooking fire, or a forest fire of some variety. The logical part of his brain urged him to leave: if it was a forest fire, he was in no position to outrun it should he wait too long. However, the Varsk part of his brain reasoned that he would die someday, and what would be the harm in looking at the source of the smoke? Surely he would hear the crackles of flames, and see the flickering tongues of orange? He suppressed the sensible suggestions coming from his mind, and walked onwards.

Soon after, it become clear that it was no forest fire. There wasn't enough smoke, and the quantity of it hadn't grown in the slightest. He actually found that it was a singular, human male, who appeared to be doing nothing more than cooking something.

Varsk was sat in a tree above the male, which had been a hard task. Normally, hopping from tree to tree presented little problems, but this time, what with sleep threatening to subdue him, it was a little harder, especially with the fact that he had wanted to make as little noise as possible, preferably none. Still, he had got to a vantage point, and was now watching the man with curiosity. It had always intrigued him as to why humans always cooked their food: it seemed a pointless exercise when it was fine eaten raw. Despite this fact however, it could not be denied that the scents drifting towards the ocelot were enticing. He reached forwards, inhaling deeply, stretching a leg back to maintain his balance. The leg brushed against a twig, which snapped.

Varsk pulled the offending limb back in a sharp manner, and froze. He watched as the twig fell, landing on the fire below him.
Varsk
A Most Curious Kelvic

Words: 6503
Joined roleplay: November 4th, 2015, 8:28 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Ferrin

A peaceful meal soon interrupted by a snap of a twig. Ferrin's ears perked up to the twig snapping behind him once the stick fell. Ferrin stopped what he was doing, the now cooked rabbit still in the grasp of the hunter though.

Ferrin stood up from sitting on the fallen log. He turned his body faci g the tree that was positioned behind him. He scanned carefully up the wooden tree following the tree up, where the branches and the leaves are held in shape.

There, high in the tree a creature looming down upon him. Struggling though trying to stay on the branch. So many thoughts rushed through Ferrins head. "Was thus animal here to kill him? Or did it want the food that Ferrin was cooking? Will Ferrin die at the hands of this beast?" "Is this thing a beast or a harmless animal?"

It doesn't matter, Ferrin assumes that this might be a Kelvick, otherwise. If this was a predatory animal it should have killed Ferrin already. Ferrin took precautions, he placed his bow cooked game into his bag next to him. He took his longbow and swiftly pulled out a arrow from his quiver.

Knocking it in quickly before the animal could strike at him. He poised the bow at the animal. Prepared for an attack. "I'd would like appreciate it I did not die today." Ferrin thought to himself. He kept his position poising the bow at the animal.

"Speak your business, are you are here to harm me? Or do you come peacefully?" Ferrin hopes that it will be a peaceful encounter. But the hopes are a 50/50 chance. He hopes that the chances that this Kelvick comes in peace.

[b]"If you promise not to harm me I'll share the meat. Ferrin tilted his head down where the remains of the rabbit lie, the blood spoiled all on the ground near the fallen log. He then put his head back in a position keeping his eyes locked on this, mystical creature.

A tick has gone by and his hands were starting to feel numb. Will Ferrin have his life end by the hands of this animal?

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Varsk on November 9th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Varsk found his tiredness immediately banished by the surge of adrenaline rushing through him - he would have to thank the hunter for nocking the arrow. He almost grinned when he did so, but decided against it: in this form, it would no doubt look like he was bearing his teeth, which he most definitely wasn't. While he was grateful - in a way - for the bow being pointed in his direction, he wouldn't be pleased if he had a foot or so of woof sticking through his head.

He judged the distance from the ground to where he was, and hopped off the branch. Well, he didn't so much as hop off as drop off. He landed on all four feet, as cats sometimes do, and shook himself, as was his habit. At this point, he was facing away from the hunter, so he circled round, and looked at him. He would no doubt have to turn human, otherwise he would most likely to be mistaken as a wild animal, which he wasn't. Wild, yes, animal, no.

He blinked, and then he was human, crouched on the floor with his knee to the ground. His hair looked like it had seen better days: it was a fair colour, but with twigs and leaves in it, the hair itself sticking up in random directions. He looked up at the hunter, and waved a hand in what he assumed was a reassuring manner: he wasn't good with people.

"It's fine" he said. "If I was going to kill you, or maim you, you wouldn't have seen me coming" he wasn't to sure if this was the way you went about reassuring someone that you didn't feel the need to sink your teeth into their leg, but he sensed he had got the point across in a suitable manner.

After his short speech, he turned back to his feline form, being all to aware that humans were somewhat uncomfortable around a Kelvic who had recently shifted to their human form. That was another thing that Varsk didn't get: the human need to clothe themselves. in his opinion, the humans had a few things wrong.

He looked back up at the hunter, while sat on the forest floor, his tail curled around his feet. He didn't realise that it would have been better etiquette to give a reason why he wasn't staying the form that could talk, and didn't realise that shifting to the form that had teeth several centimetres long probably counteracted what he had just said.
Varsk
A Most Curious Kelvic

Character sheet

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 9th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Ferrin

From what Ferris assumed, of this animal being a Kelvick: which it/he was. The four legged animal had leaped off the branch. And Ferrin almost jumped back, but hopefully this animal was giving a good gesture. The animal landed on all fours and began too change with a blink of an eye.

The Kelvick in his human form had twigs and leaves sticking out of his dark color hair. It almost amused Ferrin, and Ferrin thought that he might be the ´new´ guardian of the forest. Ferris almost chuckled at that thought. Until the Kelvick answered Ferrin with a seemingly harsh reply. "It's fine" he said. "If I was going to kill you, or maim you, you wouldn't have seen me coming"

Now that comment made Ferris feel uneasy. And it made Ferrin feel that this Kelvick is about to check Ferrin like a game of chess. ´what is this cats problem?´ Ferrin thought. After he replied with his human form, the kelvick quickly shifted back to his animal form. Ferrin still felt a bit uneasy around the Kelvicks and their freedom of shifting to a bare naked human.

Although it does not bother him as much as it used to when he first met a Kelvick a while back a go. "Yeah, I guess so, but why did you not kill me?" Ferrin asked casually lowering his grip of the bowstring. He kept his gaze though facing the cat that was sitting calmly on the ground. Its tail wrapped around his legs. The cat looked a bit menacing in a way. And it seemed taunting to Ferrin "What is this cat trying to do?" Ferrin thought to himself.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Varsk on November 10th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Varsk saw the fact that he caused the human some level of discomfort, and while he didn't take pleasure in it, it didn't bother him a great deal either. No doubt at least a few wary thoughts were lingering in the hunters mind, even after Varsk had announced that he had no intention to spill blood this night, for the hunter still had his bow drawn, albeit with his grip on the bowstring lessened.

The kelvic didn't feel uncomfortable being the subject of what was no doubt close scrutiny; he had been through it many times, and now it was as common as a full moon: he new it was going to happen at least once a month.

Varsk heard the hunter's question, and pondered what the answer should be. He didn't want to announce that he hadn't slept properly in weeks, for some people would try and kill a kelvic who didn't have the capability to fight back. This he knew from personal experience.

Not wanting to shift back to his bipedal form, he tried to shrug, which would look odd. It was hard to achieve such a movement when you had no discernible shoulders, especially when a shrug relied heavily on having the feature. However, he felt he would get his point across: that he just couldn't be bothered. Maybe the hunter would take it a different way, but it was unlikely to be seen as an act of aggression.

While this all happened, he looked around the hunters campsite. The hearth in the middle of the area burned with an orange glow, casting a slight light on the things around it. When the night closed in, no doubt it would provide a light source, and keep the creatures of darkness at a safe distance. Perhaps Varsk should stay around this fire: he was a fair way away from Sylira, and he didn't fancy getting eaten.

The kelvic noticed the lack of a tent, so maybe the hunter had no intentions of staying for the night, or perhaps there was another form of shelter hidden from Varsk's sight. The only thing that seemed remotely related to comfort in the clearing was the log that was previously serving as a chair: surely the hunter was staying for some time, otherwise why would he have taken the time to drag over a log if he was only dining?

It wouldn't have been noticeable that Varsk was making his observations; he kept his eyes fixed on the human all the time. Despite the apparent ease, he did seem to have a strong grip on his bow, and if push came to shove, then Varsk would fall.
Varsk
A Most Curious Kelvic

Character sheet

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 11th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Ferrin

Ferrin lowered his longbow that used to be poised at the exhausted Kelvick. He put his bow and quiver in the same spot where he had gathered his things before this intervention.

It didn't take long though and Ferrin still has had some things to say and ask. But maybe he figured that it would be a bit too much to handle. And Ferrin didn't want to cause any more intentional disruptions. And if course he did not want to cause any bloodshed as well either.

"If you want then. I'll give you the rest of this torn rabbit game." He smiled pointing his index finger to the remains of the corpse of a once living rabbit. Lying lifelessly, near the hearth.

Ferrin sat down on the log and started to eat his cooked food. Even though it if not the best in the world, but it will work for now at least."I'm not going to stay here for long though. I'll be heading back into Sylrias after my hunting session is over with. "

Ferrin exhaled a yawn. Which came and entered into Ferrins mind the thought of being tired. This day still has a way to go. And Ferrin still had something to make out of this Kelvick. Not literally though.

He's deciding whether or not this Kelvick will be friend or foe. He hopes they can be friends though, because having friends is a social need in a way of life. And friends do whatever it takes to stick to your side.

Or at least Ferrins' friends would. And he would do the same for him, but he is alone now; with a deceiving Kelvick that might be ready to pounce at him any minute.

What is this Kelvick waiting for?

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Varsk on November 11th, 2015, 10:13 pm

The feline notice the lowering of the bow, an recognise the fact that this human must obviously place some amount of trust in him. This was the wilderness, and you didn't lower your weapon for anyone whom you thought might pose a threat of some variety.

Varsk also noted the offering of rabbit. While he would usually have accepted this without hesitation, even if he wasn't fighting away a tiredness that was too cruel to descend. This time however, the meat was cooked, and he turned his nose up at it. He found that meat lost it's flavour when it was cooked, and was no longer the blood-soaked slab of flesh that he so often enjoyed.

"I'm not going to stay here for long though. I'll be heading back into Sylrias after my hunting session is over with "

The feline thought about the hunters statement, and thought about the possibility of travelling back to the city as well. It would do no harm, and if he had someone to go with, there was less chance of him being caught by bandits or beasts, not that it really happened. However, perhaps he should leave beforehand: if the hunters game wasn't up to scratch, he may have no qualms about adding ocelot pelt to his catch.

He saw the hunter yawn, and had to suppress the urge to do so himself, yawning being quite contagious. This was further a sign that the human had let his guard down a bit, so Varsk lowered his slightly. Chances are, he would have faster reflexes than the human, so if he went for a weapon, Varsk would have his teeth in the male's wrist before he could hurt him.

Varsk dismissed the thought from his head, not wanting to think about it too much: he found that he tended to look at what he was thinking about, in this case, the man's wrist. He got to his feet, circling around once before lying down, tail curving around his body. He kept his eyes trained on the hunter, more because there wasn't much of interest in the clearing than a fear of attack.

The man had probably that Varsk was a kelvic of few words when he wanted to be, or perhaps he was picking up a more ominous vibe from the creatures silence.
Varsk
A Most Curious Kelvic

Character sheet

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 12th, 2015, 3:33 am

Ferrin

The winds blew ever so frantically. And each gust, made the young hunter, Ferrin begin to shiver and shake. It didn't take long for Ferrin to finish his meal. And the unnamed Kelvick had not introduced himself yet. Would he be an outlaw v of some sort? Maybe a bandit or a mercenary out to kill the beings who are sinical?

More thoughts rushed through the hunters mind as he is trying to uncover this Kelvicks back story. "I apologize about earlier. I never introduced myself earlier. The name is Ferrin." The young hunter thought it was necessary to exploit his name to a stranger, who would have looked like a being who before that wanted to kill Ferrin for game.

"If you have any clothes or anything, maybe you can lead me to where you left them so you can change." Assuming that the Kelvick would want to change.

Ferrin warmed his hands by the dimly glowing blaze rising from the hearth of the campfire. Ferrin wanted to hunt today, but he didn't want to risk being chilled to his bones and end up feeling ill by this cold weather. After all Ferrin isn't properly suited up for this type of weather, as of yet.

Ferrin fixedly gazed his eyes towards the Kelvick who was doing the same while finishing off the rest of the cooked rabbit. His body layed flat across the earthen ground smothered by leaves and twigs and moss all over.

Ferrin; still warning his hands up wondered if this Kelvick would still be either friend or foe. After all he hasn't switched back to his human form yet. And he is still gazing at Ferrin: probably judging him and noting every movement that Ferrin takes.

Ferrin is certainly wishing not to die today. So he tries to even up the match a bit. So he doesn't feel like he is losing this encounter; or basically just trying to survive would be a better way of putting it.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Varsk on November 12th, 2015, 9:40 pm

"If you have any clothes or anything, maybe you can lead me to where you left them so you can change"

This came from the male, making Varsk snap out of his observational stupor, and look at him in a less studious manner. He thought over what the hunter was saying, and supposed that he would keep talking until he got an answer that was something more than a shrug from a species that couldn't pull of such a manoeuvre. Seeing as he wanted to stay around this hunter, him not being in the state to defend himself from creatures in the woods, he thought the best course of action would be to turn to a human.

The feline abruptly stood up, and walked out of the clearing at a slow and leisurely pace. He would ignore any calls from the hunter, and just walk on.

Some fifteen minutes later, a human looking figure returned, dressed in clothes, but looking as if they had been put on in a hurry, the shirt hanging off one shoulder, and one of their bare feet standing on the trouser leg. They had a backpack with them, which they threw on the ground, before sitting where the ocelot had been.

Now that Varsk was in a form that could communicate, he took the chance to, though not with enthusiasm.

"My name..." he said, trying his hardest not to sound tired, but not entirely succeeding, "... Is Varsk. I am, as you may have guessed, a Kelvic."

In this form, he didn't look any better than as a feline. His fair was matted with twigs and leaves, and dirt caked his feet and fingers. He clothing was dirty, as if no-one had ever had the thought to wash them.

However, he didn't particularly look like he was bothered about his appearance, and sat with one knee pulled up against his chest, the other stretched out, toes aimed towards the fire.
Last edited by Varsk on November 19th, 2015, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varsk
A Most Curious Kelvic

Character sheet

Next