[Flashback] What's in a name?(blythe)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Jokor on December 8th, 2010, 4:31 pm

the woman pulled out some kind of sack out of her and gave it to him. He just grabbed it and looked at it with a rather lost expression on his face. Turning the weird sack around in his hands a bit.
"You should have some water now, you eat much more and you'll be sick to your poor little stomach before you know it..." She paused for some reason before continuing on. "Little one." The boy just shrugged and pulled at some strange thing on one side of the bag, It popped out and some water splashed over the boy. "Getting the idea of the thing he just put the opening at his mouth and began to drink, spilling quite a lot of water in the progress though." he looked up towards the women when asked something of him.
"you have a name?"
The boy just looked at her like she had commanded him to grow an extra head.
"Name?" The boy just asked, a look of confusion on his face."Whats a name?" He looked up at her while he said that, not understanding what she was talking about.
"can you eat it?"
Jokor
Streetrat

Words: 213913
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Blythe on December 8th, 2010, 4:49 pm

The boy took the water-skin, turning it over and over in his hands. He didn't seem to know what it was. It seemed foreign and confusing to him. Eventually, he got the top open, and spilled a lot of water over himself. He seemed startled by this, but soon figured out how to drink from it. The boy drank a lot.

When Blythe asked him if he had a name, he pulled the water-skin away from his mouth and he said, "name?" A look of total and complete confusion crossed his face. "What's a name?" There was a pause, "can you eat it?" he asked.

Blythe laughed, "no, no, you can't eat a name." She continued to laugh, and eventually, managed to get herself to stop. "A name is what people call you." She paused, thinking about how to proceed, as the wind whipped through the alley and caused her hair to fly back behind her. "What do people around here call you? What's your name?" She paused, "for instance, you can call me Blythe," she said, as she gave a warm smile, and reached for her water-skin. "Probably should slow down there," she said.
Not taking on threads until further notice.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Words: 487329
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Jokor on December 8th, 2010, 7:03 pm

The woman began to laugh after he asked if he could eat it.
"no, no, you can't eat a name." she managed to spit out before beginning to laugh again after a small time she managed to stop laughing.
"A name is what people call you." The little boy just continued to listen taking a few gulps water when she paused.
"What do people around here call you? What's your name?" She paused and pointed to herself."for instance, you can call me Blythe," She gave a warm smile.
The boy nodded and pointed towards her. "Blite," he tried to say her name, horribly mangling it in the process. He scrunched up his face as he tried again.
"Blythe!" He said again, this time getting it right for the most part.
The woman reached for the waterskin and took it out of his little hands.
The little boy just smiled and pointed to himself.
"they Call, Rat,kid, vemin,..." The kid continued to say the insults people threw at him when they came in contact with him not really getting that was not what she meant with a name.
Jokor
Streetrat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Blythe on December 8th, 2010, 9:17 pm

The boy nodded and pointed towards her. "Blite." He said it wrong. "Close," Blythe said, before pronouncing her name properly. "Blythe," she said as she pointed towards herself. "Blythe!" he said again, getting it right despite his uncertain childhood voice. Blythe took the water-skin back.

The little boy just smiled and pointed to himself."They call me Rat, Kid, Vermin..." The kid continued to list the horrible things he had been called. Blythe shook her head. "No, no, those aren't names, they're curses and bad names. They're things people call you when they're angry or upset with you, because they don't like you. Do you remember being called anything other than that? Maybe your mother called you something else?" Blythe asked, as she closed the water-skin tightly and put it back in her bag, before looking up at the boy again, her lavender-colored eyes searching his face for the answer.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jokor on December 8th, 2010, 10:25 pm

The little kid looked towards the woman with, a look off confusion on his face as she shook her head.
"No, no, those aren't names, they're curses and bad names. They're things people call you when they're angry or upset with you, because they don't like you. Do you remember being called anything other than that? Maybe your mother called you something else?"
The little kid scrunched up his face in thought as he pondered for a few chimes. Just shaking his head when he didn't find anything about it.
He gave her a sad face as he didn't come up with anything else, "No, no name."he just said before begining to think about if he had a mom.
"Me got no mom. Just me." The kid said with a smile on his face trying to conceal that he didn't know what she was talking about.Still he was happy that the woman was talking with him, most other people just scowled and yelled at him. Or in the really bad chases beat him up like that guy that he ran into yesterday.
He looked at the woman, seeing her look him up and down with those strangely colored eyes of hers.
"Why asking?" the boy asked as he looked her in the eyes.
Jokor
Streetrat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Blythe on December 8th, 2010, 11:36 pm

The boy thought about it for a while, scrunching up his face in thought. "No, no name," he said. "Well, surely you have one. Think, what did your mother call you?" Blythe asked.

"Me got no mom. Just me," the boy said. Blythe was holding back tears. Thinking of her own mother, how much she loved her. Surely this boy had a mother as well, he had to to exist, he may not remember her, or know her well, but the boy had one.

Now, she was contemplating telling him this, and possibly upsetting him, or letting it drop. (Upsetting him in the sense that if he couldn't recall his mother, he may feel empty, or lost, even confused or abandoned by his lack of memory of her).

"Why asking?" the boy asked. Blythe looked the boy up and down, deep in thought. How to answer him, she wondered, as another breeze swept through the alley and she shivered, her teeth beginning to chatter. Her breath making icy swirls in front of her mouth.

"So I know what to call you... where you came from..." Blythe's voice trailed off as she looked down the alley. The trash was piled up in the corner, but thankfully, it didn't smell too bad thanks to the cold.

Blythe turned back to the boy, "so you honestly don't remember your mother?" she asked. Looking at him intently.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jokor on December 9th, 2010, 6:36 pm

"So I know what to call you... where you came from..." the boy just looked at the woman a look of uncertainty on his face. He just told her what people called him, why didn't blythe call him like that?

"so you honestly don't remember your mother?" Blythe asked as she turned back towards him, staring at him.
The boy just shook his head, not really getting why she was so adamant about trying to find it out.
"No, I don't." He looked at her. "Why keep asking?" the kid shrugged, "Not important." he just looked around the trash filled alley a half eaten apple drawing his attention, With a smile on his young face he walked of towards the trash heap and picked it out, taking a large bit out of it, not caring about the Blythes reaction to it.
Jokor
Streetrat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Blythe on December 9th, 2010, 8:24 pm

The boy shook his head. "No, I don't." He looked at her. "Why keep asking?" the kid shrugged, "Not important." The boy's gaze was far-away, fixated on something, but what?

Blythe looked down the alley, all she saw was trash, and more trash. What's so interesting about that? she wondered.

Just then, the boy walked over to a half eaten apple core, and picked it up. He took a large bite out of it, it crunched in his teeth. Blythe tried not to gag as she got up and ran to him, hastily throwing her bag onto her shoulder.

"Please don't eat that," she said, as she looked down at the boy. "You'll make yourself sick." She was not sure if the boy was listening, so, she grabbed his right hand and looked into his eyes, bending down a bit, like she was bowing, so that they'd be more level.

Blythe decided to try and distract him from the apple he had found in the trash. "So if you don't remember your mother, do you remember your father?" she asked, searching his face for an answer.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jokor on December 9th, 2010, 10:32 pm

"Please don't eat that," the boy looked at blythe with a questioning look."You'll make yourself sick." She grabbed his right hand making it impossible to eat more of the apple." He gave a few tugs at it, not getting his hand free.
"I not sick." the boy pouted at the woman,"I always eat it!" he looked at her as she bend down and looked in his eyes, her face level with hers.
"So if you don't remember your mother, do you remember your father?"
the boy didn't even have to think when she asked that and just shook his head.
"No, Just me." He repeated at the woman, trying to take a bite out of his apple again he pouted at the woman again when he didn't reach it. "Now lemme eat, I hungry!.
Jokor
Streetrat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Blythe on December 9th, 2010, 11:26 pm

The boy tugged at his arm, trying to get his hand free. "I not sick," the boy pouted,"I always eat it!" Blythe looked at him. "Didn't say you were sick, said you would be," she explained, as she held more tightly onto his little hand, which was just as cold if not colder than her own.

The boy said that he didn't remember his father either. He tried to take another bite of his apple, but couldn't. Blythe was holding on too tightly. "Now lemme eat, I hungry!" the boy said, as she let go of his hand, awe-struck. How could a boy not remember his mother or his father? Or claim to not have them, he had to have them after all. It was only logical.

Perhaps they left him, or died soon after he was born. Blythe thought, before he could form a memory of either of them. She stood back up straight, and stared down the alley. She didn't see anything unusual, or any other people.

Exasperated, confused, and worried that she wasn't going to make any progress, or learn anything more of the boy or his past, Blythe asked, "are you sure you don't have a name?" Emphasis on sure.

Blythe just could not accept the fact that this boy appeared to have no family; he was an orphan. She could not accept the notion that he lived on the streets, in this horrible place, in this climate, living off the trash. She simply didn't think he could last, not like this, and for some reason, she felt that learning about his family, and his name, could help him. How, or why, she wasn't sure. She figured she'd understand it more with time. "Avalis, guide me," she whispered into the wind, so quietly, that she doubted that the boy had heard her.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext