Solo Strength of a Gift

Job Thread 2

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Strength of a Gift

Postby Amunet on November 23rd, 2015, 12:41 am

70th day, Fall, 515 a.v.
River Flower
Endrykas

The wait of her exile was on her shoulders and was showing in the tired appearance of the young woman. If she wasn’t throwing herself into her work, she was working hard to get her little camp ready for the move to winter grounds. Amunet was grateful for the constant work as it left little time to think about her circumstances and how precarious it was. The young midwife soldiered on. The warmth and friendly atmosphere of the River Flower was something she looked forward to if not outright clung to it. It was a constant. It was a rock.
The industrious little red head entered the River Flower with her journal in hand where she kept her records till she transferred them. She went to the ledger to do just that. One of the nurses saw her as she was making notations. “Amunet, you trying to birth entirety of Endrykas, single handed?”

It’s all in jest, but the young midwife had to take a moment or two to think or not think before smiling. “It is good to see the Drykas grow and see strong new life.” She said in a quiet voice that one does in the mornings so others can sleep.

The nurse smiled and deposited a stimulant tea on the desk she was writing at. The red head gave a grateful smile as she took the tea. “Thank you.”

“You should eat before Zulrav takes you away on his winds. “ The nurse patted her on the back gently and moved away.

Amunet continued making her notations till she had completed her updates to the record ledger. She checked if there was any new cases and if she had anyone else to add to her morning list. It was a short list today as she only needed to see two women. Nothing else today and no hurried feet to her tent this morning so she picked up her journal and headed outside to her waiting strider. The little lady had put her journal away before grabbing the top of the yvas handle and the other hand to the side before giving a good swing and pull up to mount her strider. It was a smooth transition as she had figured out how to get on her horse years ago.
She put knee pressure to guide her strider through the streets, letting her know where to go by her knee turning into slightly. Pressure from the left knee turned the horse right. Pressure from the right knee turned the horse left. Her boney knees might not weigh much but they did make precise pressure points on the side of her mare. Once she was clear of the early morning pedestrians, she edged the strider to a trot with pressure from both calves simultaneously and leaning her weight forward just a little.
They were headed to a woman of the sapphire clan. This was the first pregnancy of the second wife of one of the Ankal’s sons. When she got there, she introduced herself and greeted the Ankal with courtesy and polite overtures. With the pleasantries done with she was guided to where the young woman was. She couldn’t have been too much older than her. For a moment it looked as if she was looking at what her fate would have been.

Be that as it may, she smiled at her and started asking her questions. “When did the first day of your last cycle begin?”

The midwife made the notation from her answer as she was about seventy days. “You mean you don’t count from the end of your cycle?” The young woman asked.

Amunet shook her head, “No you count from the beginning. So it looks like you are seventy days in.” She gave her knee a reassuring squeeze before she did the calculations. “Looks like a late summer baby,“ With a big smile, as the young mother to be smiled in return. “Any nausea or pain.”

“Only a little, but my sister wives say that it’s just awful the sickness is. So far just a little indigestion.” Amunet raised her eyebrow as it sometimes was like this. Some women didn’t have much of morning sickness at all.

“Good.” She wrote down a few things. “Any odd colored discharge?” The girl shook her head. “Good. What are you eating?”

“I been eating like a horse. This morning I ate like six eggs. It’s like I’m starving. “ She sighed. “Is that normal?”
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Strength of a Gift

Postby Amunet on December 5th, 2015, 6:45 pm

“It can be normal. Eat a little something every two or three bells. That will keep you from binging and keep the stomach steady.” Amunet instructed. “Eat a variety of things as long as the baby lets you and drink plenty of water.”

Amunet stood up and gave the girl a hug. “If you have any questions or there is something you don’t understand, come to the River Flower. Someone will know where I am there.”

The girl nodded with a smile. “Oh thank you. I wasn’t so sure of things. “ She laughed sheepishly and looked down as she fidgeted with her fingers.

“Everythinig will be fine. This is the most natural thing and we of the River Flower will make sure you have a strong baby.” Her hand went on her shoulder. The girl brightened at that.

Amunet left that pavilion and onto her next mother-to-be. This one was with the topaz clan. She was a Mother of two children already as they were playing as she entered into the Pavilion. The children greeted her with giggles and lots of hands.

“Hello.” She knelt down to play a quick game of hands. The hands were clapped together and to each other in a singsong to a rhyme. It was a game passed down from one girl to the next from generation to generation and it hasn’t changed much. “Again.” She demanded.

“No, no, little one. I got to tend to your mommy.” Amunet said firmly but with a smile. The midwife’s hands closed gently around the girl’s hands and with easy movements, guided the girl’s hands down. The girl pouted but nodded. She turned and went to play with the dog. Her brother wasn’t too far off trying to make sticks defy gravity. Each pile of stacks of sticks was configured to try and keep the insurmountable pile the boy was trying to put on it to hold. It would fall as the boy laughed and did it again. It was nice to see. Part of her wanted this, but another part of her is scared to death of it. The ‘what if’s circled her mind for a click or two before the sounds in the next room brought her out of such musings.

The young woman smiled to the mother-to-be. “Ladana, how are feeling lately?” The midwife started. It was a stark contrast. She herself never had birthed a child from her own womb, yet knew more about it than those who had birthed several children. Her arm went about the woman’s shoulders in a comforting gesture. It was as if that one touch brightened the woman and eased her burden. Amunet never let on the touch was graced by the goddess she hearkens to. “You’re looking about ready to go.”

“Oh don’t I wish. Two hundred and seventy nine days and counting, I am so ready.” The woman was great with child and still smiled.

“Any discharge or pains?” Amunet asked with her hand going to the swollen abdomen.

The woman nodded. “the show has happened but not much of the pains. “ The woman couldn’t quite explain the ease of discomforts but it always seemed with the young woman was here to care for her, she was left with a well-being that lasted a few days.

“Good, it wont be long now, maybe day or two and we will have a baby.” Amunet said as she took an ink stick out and jotted down a few notes. “Your close enough to the River Flower or just send someone for me when the pains hit hard or your waters break. “ With this being her third, the hard pains would not be long. “Remember your breathing Ladana.

The red head got up and Ladana gave her a nod. “Thank you and we will see you soon probably.” The woman laughed. Amunet couldn’t help but chuckle with her as it was a fact of the life of women of the Drykas. There was no shortage of babies.

Se swung up on Shetanae and headed back to the River Flower as those were the only two on her list for the day. She took the yvas and pad off of her Strider and let her loose to graze with the herds near the medical tents. Patting her on the neck before the mare trotted off towards the open grass near the River Flower. She chuckled at the mare and shook her head as she could count on her to give her solace and comfort. She looked up into the sky to take in the breath of the air. The children of the wind, the Drykas she was through and through. The girl breathed that strength in to seemingly store for what survival will hand to her.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Strength of a Gift

Postby Amunet on December 5th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Turning into to enter the back entrance, she washed her hands and went to update records in the ledgers. She took the ink stick that was near the ledger and located the records of each woman she had seen and their current status in health and observations. With only two patients, it didn’t take her long before there was some muted commotion at the business end of the River Flower. She put the ink stick
down carefully and moved towards the nurses entrance as a woman was brought in by two men as she was laboring hard. Nehrar Tenderhoof was at her side in moments. “Shes been in labor for a while, but she presented a foot. “ The Doctor told her.
Amunet softly gasped. “Breech birth.”

Nehrar nodded to her. “Baby has to be turned. You ever turn a baby?”

Amunet shook her head. “No but I have seen it done a couple of times. “

“Good, you need this then. Your hands are smaller than mine so you will hurt her less.” Nehrar in a no nonsense way directed her to wash her hands really well and hurry.

The midwife eyes widened as she gulped and nodded. Those teeth tightened together as she girded her constitution and got her hands scrubbed. She used the brush there to get her very close clipped nails to her finger tips, scrubbed till pink. She dried her hands quickly as the woman screamed and she quickly got to where Nehrar was at the business end as the Nurses was ushering her husband and brother in law out of the curtained off surgical room. Hopefully it wouldn’t take that.

Nehrar motioned her with hurried motions to the business end of the birthing. Amunet turned to the Doctor. “How long has she been in labor and when did waters break?”

“Eighteen bells in labor waters broke 8 bells ago?. “ He said in his calm gentle tone that carried a tinge of worry.

Amunet’s eye for detail quickly went into overdrive mode. “She is a bit dry. We need an oil of some kind light oil or this is going to be rough.”

Nehrar looked at Amunet sharply. “With the waters being so long broken which usually lubricates the birthing canal. “ She left the rest hanging.

Nehrar nodded. “makes sense. “ He asked a nurse to get a light oil as Amunet took a deep breath and put her hand on the abdomen.

The woman didn’t yell as loudly as the pain had reduced a little bit. The swirling sigil on the right side of her face was shimmering . Nehrar was on that side as he turned and eyes widened. He was about to say something but decided it was not important at the time. “Amunet gently get the foot back up the birth canal. When do you want the oil?”

“I need a little bit now and a little bit when we get the head started down. “ Amunet didn’t have a chance to explain she had seen other midwives she had observed use the oil on women who needed a little extra lubrication in a birthing for one reason or another. The birthing waters usually provide that, but sometimes it isn’t enough or it was too long since the waters had broken. Once the oil was on her hands she gently took the foot and the midwife looked at the lady. “Look at me, I need you to breath deeply. Exhale even deeper. “ Her voice was firm as she looked the woman right in the eyes. The look of fear, relief, pain, and a bag full of other emotions was on the poor exhausted woman’s face as she nodded. She took a staggering breath in as Amunet gently slide her hand along the foot and oiled the tiny leg and foot and slowly started pushing the baby back up.

“Exhale a long one. There you go. “ She looked down as the woman groaned in pain.

“Easy, easy. Whats your name?” Getting the woman to center on the midwife not on her pain.

“I.. I am.. Dorika. “ Her breath came in quick rapid succession.

“NO! No!, deep breath in. Don’t breathe like that; you will lose your wind. “ She instructed.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Strength of a Gift

Postby Amunet on December 5th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Nehrar was at her elbow. “Good, good. Now you got to get both hands up there and feel for the baby’s body and shoulders, gently as possibly turn the baby down. “ He instructed. His hand was on the woman’s abdomen encouraging her to breath taking over where Amunet started giving the woman a focal point.

Amunet nodded as her brow furrowed as one hand sent in easy enough . Nehrar had been right as the woman was only an inch or two taller than she herself was. Her hand met the buttucks of the baby. The swirling sigil shimmered again and the baby seemed to relax. Her other hand went half way in to work to slowly guide the baby to turn. There was not very much room to do this. Her other hand came out from its half way position to go on top of the abdomen. Her other hand moved the leg to the left and pushed it up at the hip slowly. The woman couldn’t help but scream as Amunet had pushed a bit too far up. “Sorry.”

She was sweating as Nehrar encouraged her. “Get at the shoulders of the baby and pull or push as gently as you can. “

She looked up and whispered a quick prayer to Rak’keli to guide her hands. The necessity of the situation had the mark boldly shimmering and swirling along the mark that was on her face. She got a hand on the shoulder as those little fingers of hers pulled very slowly to the left and down. With a very odd lumpy flop of the baby kicking out, the baby completed the turn on its own. Amunet’s hand gently guided down the back of the neck and the skull as it was coming down. “Baby is face up, this is going to hurt a little.” She said apologetically. Her hand was still on the abdomen as Nehrar stepped back. This part the midwife was at home performing. “Oil please. “

A nurse was there and poured the oil on the opening as amunet used it to replace the lubricant long dried as the baby started to crown. “Need clothes please. We have a baby!!” The nurse was there with the clothes she needed. Amunet guided the baby’s head out as her fingertips was on the outside of the skull twirling clockwise along the edges and then counterclockwise as the oil helped. “One more deep breath, one more push, Dorika.” The woman took the deep breath with Amunet and held it. She curled in and bore down . Then she screamed like some warrior’s cry as she kept bearing down to bring this baby into the world. Amunet turned the baby a quarter turn to the left so she shoulders passed vertically instead of horizontally as he came out. The woman plopped back breathing heavily.

Amunet had the baby firmly and put it in the cloth of the waiting nurse. The umbilical cord was cut and the afterbirth was left to deliver. “Nehrar if you could, tell the father he has a son?”

The girl looked around to Nehrar who still gave her a peculiar look and nodded. “I can do that. See me after your done Amunet. There is much to speak of.” He said gently.

At first she wondered if she did something wrong as her brow furrowed. Then she refocused and delievered the afterbirth. She fussed over the baby a bit as she measured and weighed the baby. Seemed soon as Amunet touched the baby, he stopped crying. “Good strong baby. “ She said to the little one looking him in the eyes as she swaddled him snuggly and laid him in the mother’s arms. Dorika, you have a nice strong son. Lets get you cleaned up. “ The nurse brought a pan of warm water as Amunet went to clean and check for tears or anything that would indicate a problem later. At her touch the woman’s pain was diminished and the midwife knew she would recover a little quicker. Once the woman was padded and her virtue covered, she provided a few instructions. “You sleep when the baby sleeps, eat six small meals a day if you can and plenty of water to keep your milk flowing.

“How did you do that? I thought it would be a lot more painful. “ She looked at her as her hand reached for the right side of her face where the mark was. “You’re graced.” The woman said with a look.

Amunet put her hand on the lady’s hand that was on her face. “It is for the strength of the people. It is of no moment and I’m glad that you and the baby are well and will get stronger. “ Then she removed the woman’s hand from her face. “It is nothing.”
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Strength of a Gift

Postby Amunet on December 5th, 2015, 6:52 pm

The woman looked at her as the young midwife turned and swallowed hard. She thought she would have time to learn more before it was noticed, but it seems the goddess and fate didn’t allow her that luxury. She went to wash up her hands as the Nurse finished up the details. She found Nehrar in the clinic where the general populace came in for various ills and injuries. She sat down close to where he was sitting at taking a respite for a moment or two.

“You wanted to speak to me?” She asked though she as sure he saw it.

He nodded. “You seem to have a gift.” He said in his quiet way. That part of the man reminded her of her father. It was a comfort.

She smiled a moment and looked down. “What does this mean?”

“Means, young lady, that you have a lot to learn in medicine and other skills so the gift is used more effectively.” He looked at her trying to be stern. He knew Amunet was up to the challenge of learning more medicine and she had a penchant for herbalism and philtering already. The gift of the great Lady Rak’keli would help the people. It was a relief to see in these trying times lately

“You should be camped closer to the River Flower, not way out there. What were you thinking, Amunet and you are marked? “ He gave her another look that was a bit disparaging.

“Alright.” She said with a huff of exasperation as she wasn’t at the time really thinking well at all. It was safe to say she was a bit distraught. “When we move to winter grounds, I will pitch my camp closer. “ She didn’t need Nehrar mad at her. She had enough people mad at her for publically turning down the joining with Pratel. “Kind of been a rough season. “

He nodded. The man wasn’t about to pry into what was clearly her personal business. “The people will need your gift and your talents come winter. I will see about getting you a mentor. “He said gently. “I would do it but I am a bit too busy with the managing of the River Flower and the White Lily.” With that he went to get a cup of tea and invited the young lady to have a cup of tea with him as they discussed the coming migration to winter grounds and the coming season.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Strength of a Gift

Postby Tribal on December 8th, 2015, 4:28 am

G R A D I N G