Herbalism Lore

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Herbalism Lore

Postby Amunet on December 13th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Herbalism

I thought i would tackle Herbalism. There is a stub for it in the lore but only one sentence to the skill. Here is a working Outline. This is the basic working Outline that I am currently expanding on.

Herbalism

A. General
1. Description and purpose:
Herbalism: ("herbology" or "herbal medicine") is use of plants for medicinal purposes, and the study of such use. Plants have been the basis for medical treatments through much of Mizahar history. Though much of the pharma knowledge had been lost to the Valterrian, the Opal Order seeks to rebuild much of that knowledge. Their edict to their members to gather knowledge to this day bends to that one particular goal.
2. Associated skills:
    a. Botany: Identifying the herbs that one grows and dries is important. One green herb or brown bark, especially when its dried and processed, starts looking alike. Knowing the growing conditions to get the optimum volatile properties out of the herb is also important. Knowing when to pick these herbs dance in the realm of Botany.
    b. Medicine: Many herbs, barks, roots, etc are used in making Medicines to treat people of their ailments.
    c. Poison: Many herbs, barks, roots, etc are used to cause injury or discomfort to gain an advantage or kill someone.
    d. Philtering: the items learned in Herbalism are turned into useful things that are not just used in Medicine. Items for Hygene, Household cleaners, animal care, and other items can be made through philtering.
    e. Brewing: Many of the herbs are used in producing the varied flavors of wine, liqueurs, liquor and meads. Wine and high proof alcohol are used in making vinegars and tinctures.
    f. Foraging: Got to pick what you need to use out there. Knowing how to pick it and when is important.
    g. Food preservation: The many preservation techniques needed to ensure the active properties are instilled in the product to stay over weeks or months for later use is a necessary skill of many peoples to survive the harshness of Mizahar.
    h. Cooking: Many herbs are used in cooking.
    i. Cleaning: Many herbs are used to in cleaning from potpourri, to starches, to cleaning agents, to bundles on the floor to whisk up its scent as people walk on them.

B. Identification of Herbs
[indent]
    1. Herb, leaf, Herb, flower, root, bark, seed, fungus
    2. Growing conditions
    3. peculiarities

4. Land based flora
5. Aquatic based flora

C. Properties of Herbs
    1. Medicine: Pharma
    2. Cooking
    3. Household
    4. Industrial
    5. Danger/Poison

D. Preservation of Herbs
    1. Oils
    2. Tinctures
    3. Essential oils
    4. Drying
    5. Sugars and candies
    6. Brines
    7. vinegars

E. Study of the flora for active properties that could be extracted and used.

Please forgive any coding mistakes in the box code. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you.

Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Herbalism Lore

Postby Firenze on December 14th, 2015, 4:40 am

I am very interested in seeing this developed! I think it's great that you're wanting to develop this!

Perhaps adjusting the subset 'Medicine: Pharma' under 'Properties of Herbs' to 'Medicinal' and adjuting your section 'E' to be just 'E. The Study of Flora'

Don't forget to add a section for the
'Skill Progression
Novice
Competent
Expert
Master'

So that people know what each skill set can do and achieve.

Good luck!
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Herbalism Lore

Postby Nivel on December 14th, 2015, 7:27 am

totally interested in seeing this developed.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Herbalism Lore

Postby Anthere on December 14th, 2015, 1:41 pm

I'd like to see this written up and expanded upon. Its nice to see so much development.
Anthere
Player

Words: 22788
Joined roleplay: October 18th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Herbalism Lore

Postby Gossamer on January 18th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Go ahead and get this started. I think this would be a great addition to Mizahar's lore. I also think with your personal experience ooc you could do a great job.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Herbalism Lore

Postby Attunement on July 23rd, 2016, 9:57 pm

I would like an update on status for this skill please.
Attunement
Retired Staff

Words: 2551
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2016, 6:03 pm
Race: Staff account