Chattering to fight the awkwardness of being new.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Faradae on December 20th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Good evening, everyone!

I gathered my courage this morning and made my first account here on Mizahar. After being pretty overwhelmed by the rules and lore of the game, nice people replied to my post on the Introduction forum and now I'm feeling more reassured already. (Thanks c: )

So while I dig through races some more and get settled on the outlines for this character, I'd love to talk to some of you, meet the players, so to say, and maybe settle some starting point along the way.

Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Words: 140559
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 20th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Hello welcome to Mizahar!

So what are your character ideas so far?
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 20th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Nice to meet you!

I generally like the Kelvic as a race (obviously, seeing how I chose them when I signed in), but I was having second thoughs earlier due to lifespan problems and the fact that I think I'v ehad enough of feline shapeshifters for a while.

But I think I just found my solution. I'll stick with Kelvic - they're interesting with the bonding and general developemt, but I'll go for the avian kind. That'll be new for me, and a thirty year lifespan for birds of prey is relatively moderate, as well.

I don't have much beyond that, yet. Doing my research on regions and cities right now.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 20th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Nice, good choice with the kelvics. I have never played one, but they are very popular so they must be awesome to play. Hmmmm, though you may want to talk with some actual kelvic players, I would recommend finding your bond mate in character instead of starting off with one in your profile history. It's just way better to develop those huge moments through In game stories in my opinion.

Tell my about what vibes and themes tickle your fancy?
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 20th, 2015, 9:57 pm

I almost expected they were popular, it's just a concept that probably fits most people well. Good for a first character to find my way in. Who knows, maybe my second character will be a little more exotic one day.

I agree with you on that. Big moments are for roleplaying, not backstories. As far as possible. I'll have to come up with a family background for her, though - something that kept her from bonding for the first couple of years, and protective parents seem like the likely choice here. Kelvics might generally not be the most knowledgable and erudite people, but I simply can't bring myself to play truly dimwitted characters.

Travelling sparks my interest, so some skills regarding survival in the wilderness would be good? Alternately, no such abilities due to lack of background and a yen to see distant places? I'm planning to make her a type of buzzard-eagle, which aren't exactly the most travelsome birdies, but birds are generally associated with a certain vibe of freedom, and the urge to search for something (lost) isn't uncommon with the Kelvic if I got my lore straight.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 20th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Right on, good to hear, just based on what you are saying it sounds like you have some to experience in the past?

Wilderness Survival skill is crucial if you will be traveling... Though as a buzzard eagle you won't need to be an expert to get around in the wilds, just start off with a few points. As a buzzard eagle you don't need to be held back from distant traveling just because traditionally they don't travel far as a kelvic you can have the drive to do it anyways especially with protective parents. You'll definitely need hunting skills to survive though and maybe Herbalore (sp?) you could take a job as a courier between cities and make some good gold and give you an excuse to rp in the different cities.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 20th, 2015, 11:11 pm

I've roleplayed in the past, if that is what you mean. It was in a slightly different environment though, with exactly four of my friends with a fantasy setting and a big plot and actual pens and a damn lot of paper. ISo true, I've got roleplay and character building experience, just no big knowledge about how Mizahar works, especially with the trait line, experience and gear system. And it's an overwhelming amount of people here so I'm not sure about how stories are going to intertwine and give a big whole plot or if the anonymity is going to kill it for me. I'll just give it a shot and hopefully have fun?

That sounds like good advise, thank you. See, that's exactly what I'm talking about - I don't know what traits I should invest in, so this right here is really helpful to me.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 20th, 2015, 11:57 pm

Yeah that's what I meant hahaha I am on my phone so autocorrect changed up the meaning of the sentence...

I am sitting here trying to figure out how to explain how threads intertwine. There are definitely more qualified people that might have a better answer..... It kind of "just happens" in my experience. It all starts off with your character meeting people and it kind of just snowballs from there and takes off. Also you don't role play with every single player out there. Sometimes you only meet the character one time and part ways, other times you go on adventures together, kind of like real life. An experienced player is going to make a thread with you and if you just go with the flow things will take off. Don't worry about all the people XD their will be entire plots that don't involve your character at all and that okay!

Also as far as skills don't worry too much about that because I can help you pick the right ones once your backstory and concept are done
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on December 21st, 2015, 1:09 am

Well hello! Welcome!

I read that you perhaps wanted to talk to an actual Kelvic player, so I thought I'd pop in :) Ask away, if you have any questions, that is ;)

So I see that Imass has been giving some very decent advice, which is absolutely fantastic :thumbsup:

Don't worry about not knowing how Miz works at first. When I just started out I always had a tab open for lore, so I could check whether I was doing things the right way :lol: . As you play though, you get the hang of it :)

In regards to traveling, what Imass has adviced is quite solid. You need some Wilderness Survival to actually survive your trips. Then probably navigation to manage to reach the correct destination. Or you could settle on a navigational lore, eg: Using the heavenly bodies to navigate. And then of course, depending on your Kelvic type (predator/prey) you might want either hunting or foraging. Or both. In the case of a Buzzard I'd go for hunting, but it is up to you, of course.

As for the other skill points you might have left, depending on the amount you decide to put in the different skills, you might want to either pour them into skills that fit your backstory, or your character concept.

I hope that helped at least a little, and if you have more questions, by all means, ask away!

Hope you enjoy your time on Miz :)

Bran
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Faradae on December 21st, 2015, 8:45 am

Imass;; - Autocorrect is a pain. I feel you about it, and I salute you for putting up with it in order to help me find my way around.
You have no idea how wonderful that sounds. Mizahar is the roleplay I've been looking for for the last past months but somehow managed to not find up to now. I'm working on my CS like a madwoman, so it won't be too long, I hope.

Brandon;; - Thanks for the welcome c:
I'll heed your advise and go for survival, food, navigation. Plus background-relevant skills that I'll have to think about.

Everyone on Miz is so friendly, it's great to be here.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next