Solo What a Beautiful Pimple You Have

Sayana enjoys the company of the Statue of Insults and gets a potential job offer

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

What a Beautiful Pimple You Have

Postby Sayana on December 27th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Winter 8, 515 AV – Towers’ Idol Slanderer (aka Statue of Insults)

For the last few days, Sayana had been starting each day with a new face, and today was no exception. However, since she frequently attempted to create a lighter skin tone, she was running low on white face paste. This time she tried a new approach. Holding up her small mirror in her mid hand, she carefully began applying a deep reddish brown colour to her eyelids and along her nose. Slowly she worked outwards once the more delicate parts were done and finally created a smooth band of colour over her eyes and across her face. She added some finishing touches with black khol to emphasize the darker look and was pleased at the general representation of a Chaktawe. With a spark of inspiration, she added a couple of tight small braids to her hair that would hang low, framing her face. Unfortunately she didn’t have any feathers to add to her hair, but if all went well, she wouldn’t be seen to begin with. Still, she preferred to do what she could if she was able to.

It was under this guise that she left the shack in the Underground along with her black robe, climbing boots and vest. There was a prickling feeling at the back of her mind. What if they find her? What if they knew she was hiding in the Underground? What if they were preparing a trap and all she had to do was be in the right place at the right time… She had to keep her movements random, spontaneous. And despite wanting to, she couldn’t hide out in the Underground for eternity.

The exit she found was peculiar. Or maybe it was just that she didn’t expect that an exit would be a set of stairs leading further downwards. Cautiously she stepped downwards and opened the door at the bottom slowly, outwards. Yet in that instant the world seemed to flip upside down and she found herself falling out of a trapdoor to an attic. Quickly she tucked her head in and reached out with her arms to soften her fall. High hands landing first, she managed to push off into a roll, though inelegant at best. Better than snapping one’s neck.

Breathing quickly from the adrenaline more than anything else, the Eypharian got to her feet and looked around. It appeared to be just an ordinary house but when she looked at the ceiling she eyed the trapdoor suspiciously. It had managed to snap closed and she doubted she could get back that way. It was of little matter anyhow, she was not her plan to return so soon. With one more glance back, Sayana left the small dwelling for the streets of Alvadas.
Last edited by Sayana on December 27th, 2015, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Sayana on December 27th, 2015, 7:55 pm

It was daylight, fortunately, yet something felt off about the streets. It took her a while to realize it, but the shifting streets of Alvadas were surprisingly empty. She hadn’t noticed this the last time she was above ground, mostly since she was fleeing at the time, but now there was a general sense of vacancy. Unable to assume her usual method of blending in amongst other people, Sayana instead took alternate routes using smaller alleyways and turning corners whenever possible in case she was being tracked.

Yet it started to become increasingly frustrating as she hit dead end after dead end. Sometimes when she turned to go back, the streets looked different and eventually she seemed to make her way to a slightly more populated area of the city. People walked in clusters, sometimes with hushed whispers.

I haven’t seen Arthur for over a day now, he was supposed to meet me yesterday but never showed up…
Did you hear about the bridge that collapsed? Those who survived seem to be unable to speak of it...
‘They are coming.’ What did the Speakers mean? Are they here?

Sayana picked up on snippets of conversation here and there, though just by the people’s body language she could tell they were frightened. And probably frightened enough to be avoiding the streets, hence the emptiness. The walkway she was following soon opened up into a courtyard. However, a loud and rather obnoxious voice startled her out of her thoughts.

“My, what a beautiful large pimple you have!”

Out of instinct, Sayana quickly wrapped her robe tightly about herself to hide her additional arms and immediately brought a hand to her face wondering if she might have made an unintentional splotch with her makeup. But after a moment she realized that she was not the recipient. Curious, she looked in on the exchange trying to find the source of the rude comment.

“And you have dashing bloodshot eyes.” Came the retort of an annoyed woman.

“While your words might sway some, your passion is insignificant for your life on the stage.”

The Eypharian blinked as she stared perhaps a little too long. Had the statue in the courtyard just spoken? Not only spoken, but in such an insultingly eloquent manner? But then she realized that if the woman was an actress, she might be one of the actors of the Crooked Playhouse. Sayana ducked in behind one of the archways surrounding the courtyard hoping to avoid being spotted by the woman. She hadn’t really left in the best of terms from the Crook. More realistically, she hadn’t left on any terms and had essentially vanished. So she wasn’t quite sure if she wanted to meet up with any past colleagues just yet. But it seemed as though the actress was well on her way, not wanting to linger any longer than necessary.

Sayana on the other hand was curious about this statue and watched from where she stood behind a pillar.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on December 27th, 2015, 7:57 pm

A couple passed through the courtyard and the statue livened up once more. “Your love is but a passing thing, pay little heed. But I admire the secrets you manage to hide from one another.” There was an obvious ruffle of discomfort from the pair. They had initially been holding hands but now they dropped the contact. Sayana could practically feel their waves of insecurity as she watched them hurry off.

This statue was brilliant! Although exceptionally cruel and unkind. She wasn’t sure if it was just coming up with insults at random or whether they were more personalized. Though by the reactions of the people, the comments seemed to cut pretty deep. There was always something vaguely nice it had to say, but in a demeaning way. Like it was mocking them the entire time.

The Eypharian remained in her hiding place just behind the statue and a little to one side. She was able to catch a good view of anyone passing by and also hear the words that the statue had to say. One lady seemed to have a troublesome child at home, but was only a ‘meager’ cook. A young man had been failing as an artist and his happiness was ‘temporary at best’. A child was only the second favourite to her parents and she was sure to lose her speed in running as she got older. The girl left in tears and ran surprisingly quickly to leave the presence of the statue.

There seemed no remorse in the living statue and its mocking tone almost suggested that it was enjoying itself. Sayana, on the other hand, tried to decipher the comments it made and memorized the faces of the people walking by. In less than a chime she could learn a person’s strengths and weaknesses just by watching and listening. Maybe she could find a way to sell the information. She might need to start collecting names but perhaps she could track down one of these ‘victims’ and find a means to obtain their name. She idly wondered if anyone else took advantage of this statue. After a brief glance around, she couldn’t see anyone loitering in the area but it didn’t mean that they weren’t carefully hidden within earshot.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on December 27th, 2015, 7:58 pm

After a few more cutting remarks from the statue, an old man entered the courtyard. His hair was white and receding and he walked with a slower gait than most. He had a somewhat gruff look to him and immediately the statue sprang to life.

“You’re certainly looking your age today. Your life’s work at unraveling the mysteries of Alvadas will surely get forgotten once you’ve passed.”

“Oh, knock it off you cold heart of stone.” The old man replied wave of his hand. Clearly he was one of the few who knew and recognized the statue for what it was. But the statue’s comments were intriguing for Sayana. Unraveling the mysteries of Alvadas? How much did he know of the illusions and how they worked? Did he know what everyone was afraid of and why things seemed to be changing?

As the man left the courtyard, Sayana slowly came out from her hiding place amongst the pillars and archways. He was still just barely in sight, and she intended to keep him that way. Nimbly, she set off after him. Yet before she got very far, the statue caught sight of her.

“If only I could have a false heart like yours. I’m sure you’ll be betrayed one day.” The statue spoke with a mocking lilt. Momentarily, her heart clenched. Betrayal… hadn’t Nephti predicted such? But it was just a statue and saying those sorts of things to everyone. Quickly she scurried off, not wanting to lose sight of this mysterious man. Behind her she could hear the statue’s voice call after her. “Your determination to succeed is of little value. It certainly wouldn’t affect the grand scheme of things.”

The old man turned a corner and Sayana sprinted the last stretch afraid she might lose him entirely. A couple heads turned towards at her mad dash, but fortunately no zith swooped down at that moment. Panting heavily and her feet pounding upon the cobblestone, she reached the place where the old man had disappeared. She looked left, right, and for a moment her heart sank as she thought he was gone. But with another glance she caught sight of his slightly stooped figure further down the street. He seemed to be perusing the buildings, almost inspecting them.

With a little less urgency, Sayana followed after him. She began matching his footsteps, almost out of habit and she could hear him muttering softly to himself as she got closer. “They are coming… they are coming… Dangerous streets… The illusions are sick. The--”

He suddenly stopped and Sayana nearly walked into him. Nimbly, she bounded out of the way but not before he saw her. “Is this some sort of joke?” He demanded. At first she was confused but then she looked down and saw that his leg had sunk into the ground and was stuck.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on December 27th, 2015, 8:01 pm

“Oh, uh… Your leg, it’s stuck.” Sayana answered sounding a bit ruffled. She hadn’t expected that particular turn of events. “Well yes, I can see that.” The old man replied and gave another tug of his leg, but to no avail. “Would you like some help?” Sayana asked tentatively. “If you wouldn’t mind,” he answered sarcastically and with a hint of arrogance.

The Eypharian, although currently resembling a Chaktawe, carefully approached but then hesitated. “Only if you tell me about the mysteries of Alvadas.” “You couldn’t just help a poor man out?” There was irritation in his voice and eventually she conceded. Not wanting to get stuck in the same illusion, she stepped lightly and tested the ground before putting her weight on it. Reaching out her two visible hands she grabbed the man’s hand to pull him hard from his stuck position. It took a couple goes, but they managed to free his leg and get him onto ‘safe’ ground.

“So are you really interested in the mysteries of Alvadas, or do you just want to get your hands on some pretty illusion?” He asked after dusting himself off.

“I want to know why everyone is so scared, and who they are.” She answered simply. Of course, she had her own worries to deal with involving the zith and she was half convinced that the presence of the beasts could have instilled the fear, but there seemed like there was something more.

“Wouldn’t we all want to know the answers to that,” he replied rhetorically. “Tell you what, if you’re so inclined to learn then why don’t you start gathering information about the city for me, especially regarding these more dangerous illusions that have been popping up. Look for patterns, maybe track down people who have gone missing. Most importantly, question illusions and question reality. Then bring me your findings and I can tell you more about what I know of this fair city. Call it a trade of information. And if it’s good, I might even throw in some mizas because Ionu knows I can’t wander these streets like I used to.”

Sayana found herself nodding at the offer, yet at the name he used she found herself puzzled. “Ionu?”

“The god and goddess of this city, the trickster, the illusionist,” the old man answered with reverence yet also as if stating the obvious. “I’m not talking to some dimwit, am I?”

“No no, of course not. I know who he is. Just slipped my mind for a moment.” Sayana rushed in quickly trying to present an adequate response despite hardly knowing about the patron god of the city.

“He, she, another one of Ionu’s mysteries.” The man nodded sagely.

“I bring you information and you teach me more, sounds like a good enough deal. Where can I reach you?” Sayana inquired, knowing full well she didn’t want to give out her own place of residence.

“The name’s Doddel Asperenus and you can find me at the Scholarly Abode of Intellectual Pursuits.” He answered and held out his hand.

Part of her wanted to vomit at the lofty title but she shook his hand and managed to keep the disgust off her face. “Sayana.”

“Well met.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fable on January 9th, 2016, 7:54 pm

S A Y A N A

a d r o i t . a c c r e t i o n s
    ❁ cosmetology 1
    ❁ disguise 1
    ❁ acrobatics 1
    ❁ land navigation 1
    ❁ stealth 2
    ❁ logic 1
    ❁ tactics 1
    ❁ planning 1
    ❁ tracking 1
    ❁ running 1
    ❁ endurance 1
    ❁ negotiation 1

e s p i e d . e r u d i t i o n
    ❁ alvadas location: tower's idol slanderer
    ❁ ionu: god/dess of illusion
    ❁ dodde asperenus: illusion investigator

r e c o m p e n s e . a n d . r e t r i b u t i o n
    none

d e t e r m i n a t i v e . d i c t a
Oh Doddel. Very nice plot seed; it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here!
l
Fable
A yarn is spun from many strings.

Words: 267393
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:17 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)