Closed [Inner Sanctum] Unabated Desire for Solitude

Noah stumbled upon the old laboratory called the Inner Sanctum in his search for solitude. Nivel comes later, allowing for an introduction and discovery of similarities.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Inner Sanctum] Unabated Desire for Solitude

Postby Noah Amuel on December 28th, 2015, 3:58 pm

The Unabated Desire for Solitude

42 Winter, 515
Afternoon

Privacy was a moment in time all creatures sought for one reason or another. It was what he sought after now, bounding through the inner workings of Syliras’ wall in search for a moment of time alone, away from others. The need for privacy was a prodding that often came to his mind, forcing him, usually, to leave the city altogether to take to the Bronze Woods where he’d fly, become one with the wind and the sky, leaving all facets of human civilization behind for a chunk of time he so cherished. At times he consciously wondered why he often yearned to be alone, separated from those he so desperately, at times, wanted to be like: humans. Then, subconsciously, it was decided he was a solitary predator, used to undertaking endeavors alone. The subconscious never revealed itself to the conscious, thus the reason was forever being searched for.

Winter had been harsh this year, closing out the year of 515 with a clap of cool air that followed all that walked outside into their warm homes, refusing to be shaken off by fires or blankets. Besides cold there was also an ungodly amount of snow falling from the sky in an off again on again torrent of cascading soft petals of ice. He ran a hand through his hair now, brushing the snow dusting his strands. His hand returned to him colder than before and wetter. Even with cold hands his skin’s contact appeared to be too much for the delicate kernels of snow to handle. They melted under his palms, folding beneath his organic weight.

He stopped, the precipice of a nearing cobble corner just another footfall out of reach before being rounded. Where was he going? he wondered. Never had he ever ventured so far from his home and so deep into the castle of Syliras. Always he stuck to the paths he knew well, not risking the chance of potentially being lost within the pathways of the castle he could not previously scout out from the sky above. Ahead he heard the clunking of greaves and armor rattling against itself. Coming from around the corner was a small patrol of guards, their gazes falling on his instantly as they rounded the cobble corner.

Noah nodded his head in salutation, hoping to defuse what he believed to be an awkward situation. There wasn’t a doubt in his mind that he looked suspicious, awkwardly placed in an otherwise deserted hallway in a black wool cloak whose deep hood hung around the back of his neck. Careful eyes observed the guards nod their heads back at him, their mouths pursed shut and lips cracked from the drying cold. He took a ginger side-step out of the way and allowed the guards to take up the hall, minimizing himself as a threat to their patrol and a target for their attention. Once their steps had faded to a comfortable dull thud he continued, rounding the corner they had come from.

Once rounded his boot’s own thudding dulled out to a squeaking creak of leather as he walked slowly, head turning from side to side. This corridor was different from the previous in that doors lined either side. Each one of them appeared to be very old, predating his time on the terra by hundreds of years. Still, despite their antiquity, his curiosity was unabated, only deepened. His body reacted by gravitating towards one of the doors on his right, feet making footfalls to close the distance. His hand was reaching for the handle of the door long before his mind understood where his actions were taking him.

At first there was a stubborn unwillingness to give on the door’s part, forcing Noah to brace his forearm against the old thing and give it a push. It gave way with a squeal from the hinges and a shudder as it moved from its frame. He opened it just a crack, enough for his lithe build to fit through. Then, once inside, he closed the door firmly behind him, using the weight of his entire being to fit the heavy thing back into its frame. When done he turned to face the room.

The windows allowed the lazy winter light through, cool in appearance due to the clouds hanging in the afternoon sky, but white because of the dusting of snow that fell and the snow already on the ground outside. The entire place was an empty void save for the cupboards, tables, chairs, and countertops that were all old in appearance. The walls were not bare though, which was surprising to him. They held hangings that he couldn’t place an origin on, but assumed them to be from Syliras or the region of Sylira, but his assumptions held no merit of confidence.

His stride was cautious as he delved further into the room, eerie quiet interrupted by the echo of his steps. He came to a nearby table, head swiveling, observing the various baubles placed upon windowsills and tabletops. They appeared exotic to him, unique in appearance, yet magical in a fantastical sense. He wondered their use, but also wondered if this was the solitude he sought after today. The uncanny quiet of the room greeted him, thus he affirmed as much.
Last edited by Noah Amuel on January 3rd, 2016, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noah Amuel
Zulrav's Golden Eagle

Words: 295310
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 9:25 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on December 29th, 2015, 8:48 am

While most of Syliras was incased in stone, it did not do much to keep the cold at bay. Nivel was fairly warm in the nest of fabric scraps she had made inside her shoe bed, but once she had to go out into the hallways her clay became stiff with the chill. However Nivel wasn’t going to be foolish this year and think that she could endure the cold without any kind of coverage. She had a robe custom made for her out of corse but cozy felt and today was the day she would have to pick it up. Getting out of her serene little cave of softness was the hardest part, if she could she would have gladly stayed in that shoe until she petrified but she knew that wouldn’t do. She slowly pulled her body out and eased herself onto the cold inhospitable floor. She ran down the hallways at first, mostly out of necessity but also from excitement to see her new garment. She soon found this difficult as her lungs filled with chilled air and her limbs became rigid. She certainly wasn’t the fastest thing in Mizahar but she could have sworn she had seen snails move faster.

One good thing that came out of this was that her mischievous tails weren’t acting up. Binky and Ooglaba, or so she called them, were side effects of Overgiving that had been causing her some grief ever since they came into her life. Instead of snapping at the unsuspecting ankles of Tall Folk as they walked by, the two stayed well behaved.

when she had arrived at the wooden door of the store, she was more than ready to slip under the crevice and greet the store keeper. She tired to flatten herself but her usual effortless activity had become a difficult and even painful one. It always came as an unwelcome surprise each winter, and it was why winter was her least favourite season. Nivel shook herself about to limber up, and even tried out some of her dance moves. The fluctuating movements of her snake arms technique and the spinning motions that Sayana had taught her severed her well but also unnerved the poor women behind her who had patiently waited for her to finish. Nivel meekly apologized before finally squeezing under the door and into the familiar sights and sounds of the Elegant Weave.

Along with a mage of the order, Nivel proudly considered herself an artisan despite having little experience with it. She felt at home amongst all of the busy tailors, weavers and other crafts people. The eccentrically dressed women know as Navia spotted her right away from below her cluttered work desk and rushed over with the tiny robe in hand.
“Oh it’s my favourite little customer Navi” She gushed and bent down to get closer the pycons level.
“My name is Nivel, not navi” Nivel corrected her with a pleasant chuckle.
“Oh very sorry my little dear, our names are just so similar” The women talked to Nivel as if she were a child or someones pet but Nivel actually enjoyed the vibrant way the women spoke. Like a magician the women quickly pulled the cloak from behind her back and presented it to Nivel like it was a prize she had won.
“Oh thank you, I looks wonderful” Nivel’s ears flapped with sudden enthusiasm as she looked at the finely crafted rode that would be her salvation.
“I’m glad you like it now hurry along now, you’ve got knight business to attend to” The women giggled and made a hand gesture as if to shoo her way.
“Indeed I do Citizen” Nivel proclaimed proudly as she quickly put the clock on and ran toward the door, she stopped abruptly once she realized the coat was hindering her exit.
“Could you help me with the door”
“Certainly little darling”

With that business out of the way Nivel set course to her special refuge where she hoped to practice her Reimancy magic. It was something she was having a bit of difficulty with but knew the only way to resolve that was to practice in a safe area.
When she got to the doors of the Sactom she was thankful that they were open slightly, if only so she could more easily pry them open enough to get in. There was not a soul in the place with the obvious exception of the confused tall folk that stood in the dead centre of the place. Nivel got the feeling right away that he wasn’t a regular to the inner sanctum, mostly because of the cation and unease in his movements.
“Hello” Nivel cheerfully greeted the man from the floor below. “What brings you here friend?”
The two tails slithered out from beneath her robe to eye the stranger menacingly with their lifeless clay eyes.

Credit for Boxcode goes to Estrellir Konrath
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Noah Amuel on January 5th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Noah ran a curious finger on the edge of the table he stood by, bringing it to eye level to check the level of dust that settled. He was surprised to learn that not much had stuck to his finger, revealing the room was actually more used than originally thought. Still, he wasn’t comfortable enough to sit. Curiosity beckoned of him, bid him to explore the room further, to glance about the shiny baubles and curious machinations. Baubles and machinations like the one placed in the middle of the table before him. It gleamed dully in the lazy winter light, but held a mysticality about it that begged inquisition.

The eagle leaned in, hand slowly approaching the bauble before a voice made him jump. Immediately he stood straight, whirled his head to and fro. "Hello," the voice had said, deep yet feminine in nature. The source of such voice still couldn’t be found in the instant, thus leaving Noah even more uneasy than before. "What brings you here, friend?" The voice came again, the drawn out, cheerful question giving the Kelvic what he needed to pinpoint the source.

His sights gazed downward, predatory eyes landing on what appeared to be a walking mannequin of tiny proportions. He tilted his head to the side, as if you ask a question of what or who the mannequin was. Noah shifted from behind the table separating him from the minuscule being and approached it, figuring that due to its size, it could do no harm to him. Once a single footfall away, Noah crouched down into a squat, one of his hands moving forward to balance him further.

“I’m not quite sure what’s brought me here,” the Kelvic answered, voice reduced in loudness for the sake of the little thing’s ears. “I was just exploring the city and found it.” He paused, brows furrowing, not of frustration but of misunderstanding. “May I ask a question? What are you?”
Noah Amuel
Zulrav's Golden Eagle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on January 8th, 2016, 12:30 am

“Oh, well this is a place for magic users to practice in safety” Nivel informed the very confused Tall Folk. “It was originally a laboratory for creating magical treasures and tools but the Wizard who used it moved away and it became what it is today.” The pycons tone was surprisingly positive considering the look of the place. Something about the collage of cracks and burn marks always seemed oddly beautiful to the pycon, but it was really the safety that appealed to her. There wasn’t too many places a mage could legally manipulate their djed, and even fewer that were free of suspicious gazes.

“If you happen to posses magic maybe we can practice together, it’s more fun to do it with someone else anyway”
Unlike the Kelvic, Nivel would much rather do things with others then alone. magic and study were usually solitary hobbies but the pycon would much rather do them with someone else. despite pycon’s original conception as little assassins long ago, they seemed to be programmed for social interaction. Having grown up in an entirely pycon society, far separated from other races, she was more predisposed to this behaviour than many pycons who grew up in syliras. No one in Pyconia seemed to mind questions or sought alone time, Nivel missed the environment but was glad for a change of pace.

“As for your other question, I’m a Nivel” The pycon stated with little thought of what he meant but quickly realized that answer might not be what he was hoping to receive. “Oh sorry that’s my name, I’m actually a Mage of the order of Syliras. a Aurist, a Reimancer, a practicer of flux and shield magic, a dancer, a pyken fighter, a Seamstress and -“ She took a moment to inhale a deep breath. “Oh wait thats it…Oh no sorry I’m a herbalist too.”
She counted her fingers as she went though all the possible answers to the man’s question, while managing to completely miss the answer he was really looking for.
“what are you?” She said with a smile and another gentle flutter of her wings as she continued to look up at him intently.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Noah Amuel on March 26th, 2016, 3:20 am

The little creature spoke to Noah in a cheerful way. It explained what the room was, an old laboratory where magic could be practiced. The wizards who used it before apparently had moved away. Noah looked around the room, noting the various cracks and overall neglect the room suffered. His eyes did see what appeared to be an attempt at reparation. It looked as if someone was attempting to reverse the neglect, but the damage had already been done. He wondered if that someone would continue to fix up the place, he also wondered if that someone would grace both him and the little creature with their presence.

The creature’s voice came again saying if Noah possessed magic they could practice together. It was more fun to do it that way, it said. Noah shrugged, knowing himself not to possess the magic referred to by the creature. He did, however, possess a divine blessing. He knew what it did and was versed enough in its practice to create breezes to the best of his ability. Unfortunately, that’s all they were, breezes and nothing more. He tried to press further in his past but nothing would come of it. Disappointed, he settled for mastering what he knew.

His other question was answered. The creature was Nivel, or that was its name. “Nivel,” Noah repeated in a whisper, committing the name to mystery. He attempted to lock Nivel’s small face into his mind so that, if they met again, he would be able to easily remember who it was. It wouldn’t be too hard to remember who Nivel was. She was, after all, the only creature that small he knew capable of speaking Common.

Nivel listed off all that she was. Noah was only assuming that it was a female due to the lightness of its voice. Other than being a female, Nivel was many other things. The one description that really caught the Kelvic’s attention was that Nivel was a Mage of the Syliran Knights. He didn’t have knowledge of meeting a mage before. It was turning out Nivel was exposing him to several new experiences. The small female’s recitation came to an end, a question posed at Noah instead, asking what he was.

“My name’s Noah,” the Kelvic said, pressing his hand against the center of his chest. “I’m a Kelvic and a courier. I don’t have as many things as you.” He paused, eyes looking up into his head briefly to make sure that was all he was. When he was sure, he continued, saying: “I don’t have any Reimancy but I have this...”

With that, Noah raised his palm to hover above Nivel. He took in a small breath and as he exhaled the conjured gentle breezes of Zulrav’s blessing came out of his fingertips and palm, pressing down on Nivel in cool licking winds. The winds died down when Noah retracted his hand, closing his hand into a fist to feel the newfound coolness of his skin.

“That’s all I have,” he said quietly. “Is that enough to have fun with?” His inquiry was innocent, almost childish in asking. His olive eyes glinted with hopefulness for he did hope it was enough to have fun with. Nivel hadn’t done anything worthy of ill note to him. If anything she was extremely nice and friendly, and the Kelvic wasn’t afraid of something much less his own size.
Noah Amuel
Zulrav's Golden Eagle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on March 27th, 2016, 6:42 am

Nivel had met quite a few Kelvic in her short life, but she hadn’t ever meet a courier or a Noah before. Being a pycon with the common language ingrained into her nexus from birth, she knew what a courier passed messages but she didn’t completely understand what that meant. She imagined a person who walked around passing verbal messages from person to person all day long. It didn’t sound like a very suitable occupation but she was certain that Noah would be a great person to come to for information since he probably knew a lot of secrets.

When Noah demonstrated his power, Nivel stood silent for a moment barely moving an inch of clay.
“Wooow!” Nivel erupted in joy and wonder at what her vacant eyes just beheld. “You just created wind without making RES! Thats amazing! How did you do that? Can you teach me?” Her arms and various appendages flailed about in disbelief as she began to interrogate him.
“- And we can certainly have fun with that. I’m a wind Reimancer too, though I still need to spend time conjuring res since I’m new to the practice. Can you use any other elements or just wind?”
Nivel forgot that the Kelvic had already told her that he wasn’t a mage or a reimancer, but she simply couldn’t accept this. She didn’t know very much about Gnosis marks, only that they could make a aura shine with blinding intensity like Oriah’s did. The mage could only assume with the information she had that summoning the power of elements could only be achieved with magic and magic alone.

“Sorry I’m asking too many questions, It’s to be expected of a pycon my age.” She gave a simple bow as a gesture of forgiveness before continuing. “I think we should focus on meditation first, mostly for my benefit but I’m sure it will help you as well.” Nivel walked over to one of the barren work stations and out stretched her arms until they were almost as thin as thread. After slowly pulling herself up like a spider she sat down on the counter space and closed her visual receptors.
“You can use Meditation to clear your mind and make it relaxed as possible. It really helps if your stressed and some even say it has healing properties. I usually just imagine a happy place but you could always focus on the functions of your body to see if everything works as it should.” Acting like a teacher was starting to become second nature to the mage, despite not having much experience in the area.

She began to imagine a field made of colourful yarn and threads, they would slowly tangle and twist into trees and other structures. She would mentally unravel the objects and reshape them until she felt perfectly at ease.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Noah Amuel on March 30th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Retracting his hand from Nivel opened the Kelvic up to a barrage of questions. They took him by surprise, his mind racing to think of answers as quickly as each question was asked. The inquiries were asked in quick succession, giving him little time to spurt an answer himself. He settled on waiting until Nivel was done asking questions to speak.

“I don’t think I can teach you,” Noah said unsurely at first. “It’s a blessing from Zulrav. That’s why I can do it, because he blessed me with the ability.”

“I just… relaxed, I guess,” he continued. “It’s not really hard to do it anymore. At first it was, but that was because I wasn’t used to it yet. Now it’s easy. It’s just like breathing now.”

Nivel said she was a wind Reimancer too, alluding to the fact that Noah was one. His brow creased at that. He wasn’t an Airmancer, he was a Stormwarden. Weren’t the differences supreme in comparison? He thought so. His powers didn’t need Res, nor could he learn other elements aside from the wind unless he learned Reimancy. The horror stories had been heard by him, effectively making him stay away from Reimancy for a reason. Along with that his previous bondmate was a Reimancer and had promised that he would teach Noah someday. The Kelvic didn’t know what that teaching would involve but, now that he wasn’t with Caesarion any longer, he didn’t want anything to do with using Reimancy.

“I can’t use any other elements,” Noah answered. “Just the wind.”

Nivel apologized for asking several questions of the Kelvic, saying that it was to be expected of a Pycon her age. Just what was her age, Noah wondered. The Kelvic observed her bow, but did nothing to mimic it. The action alone was an odd interaction to him, but Nivel was an odd being so far.

The little creature moved again going towards one of the counters. She was talking about meditation and how they should focus on that first. Noah had never meditated before, at least consciously. He believed Nivel when she said it was mostly for her benefit because he wouldn’t know what he could possibly gain from meditation. Still, he watched Nivel curiously and then a look of amazement overcame his face as her arms stretched out to reach the top of the counter. They retracted, hoisting her up there.

Noah moved in the same direction and sat cross-legged on the floor in front of Nivel on the counter. Nivel’s eyes closed as she explained meditation further, how to do it and more. Noah mimicked her, closing his eyes as well. Happy place, he thought. What was his happy place? He settled on the skies with Zulrav’s wind beneath his wings. He tried to imagine that but after a few chimes the imagery slipped from him. Easily, sitting there with no other stimulation, he grew bored. He opened his eyes and focused on Nivel who was sitting on the counter.

The Kelvic kept his manners about him, remaining quiet to not disturb Nivel’s meditation. Noah quickly decided the practice wasn’t for him. It was, without a doubt, boring. Instead of imagining being in the sky with Zulrav he’d rather be there. Imagination wasn’t the real thing. He could not feel Syna’s warming rays on his back feathers, his feathers didn’t ruffle in the wind as he flew, and there were no cool breezes. He waited for Nivel to open her eyes.

“What do we do next?” he asked when they were opened.

There was a small eagerness within him. He was learning something and Nivel was an interesting creature overall. He had never seen a Pycon before, let alone heard much about them. Nivel was also an Airmancer and they would show one another their abilities, right? Noah was as close to an Airmancer as someone could get without producing Res.
Noah Amuel
Zulrav's Golden Eagle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on April 4th, 2016, 3:57 am

Nivel’s ears lowered in disappointment when Noah stated that it wasn’t something that could be taught but her interest was peeked nonetheless. It wasn’t everyday that she came across someone blessed by a god and it made the strange man all the more interesting to her. There was a part of her that was tempted to take a look at the state of his aura but she was sure it would blind her.
“You don’t even need to meditate?” Nivel said in disbelief and amazement. “You must have an aura bright enough to rival the sun!” Her ears fluttered as she imagined the entire room filling with radiant beams of light coming from the man before her. She was so caught up in her own thoughts she didn’t register the next thing he said.
“Oh..you can only do Air.” She tried not to sound to let down by the new information that shattered her vision.

After the mediation Noah promptly asked her what they would do next. “Thats a good question..” Nivel’s head lowered in thought as she contemplated what the could do to practice their skills, but an idea quickly entered her nexus.
“Lets race rocks!” Nivel suddenly turned to her new friend and exclaimed joyfully. She didn’t stop to explain before she ran to the end of the counter and scanned for what she needed. She spotted some reasonably waited pebbles with a magical presence that indicated to Nivel that they were left over remains from some earth reimancy that hadn’t been cleaned up.
“Could you grab two of those rocks, ones with the same weight.” She politely requested and thanked him if he did so. Nivel would go for them if he refused for what ever reason.

"Okay so heres how my game works" Nivel proclaimed in Noah's direction. "These rocks will be placed at the far end of this table and we will push them with our powers. The first rock to fall off the end is the winner, the last one...well they aren't the winner. Does that sound okay?" She waited for his compliance before proceeding. If he was interested, Nivel would politely ask that he place the rocks where she had indicated in her instructions.

“I just need to conjure my res and then we could start.” The tiny mage stated before she focused her mind on the creation of the ethereal substance. Nivel forgot to mention that the process would be a long wait but Noah had been patient enough through the meditation process so she was sure he would be patient through this as well. Emerald green gel seeped slowly from her out stretched hands into a growing mass and as it did she felt the usual pain grow as well. She stopped when she felt she had enough and faintly told him she was ready.

“Okay...Ready…Set..Go!” Nivel forced out, she wanted to be enthusiastic but magic had taken it’s toll almost immediately.
Nivel focused on transmuting a small portion of her res into wind that blew out towards the rock. She continued to transmute the res slowly so that she could keep a constant steam. With the intense concentration pycon needed to maintain she barely noticed that her rock had rolled ahead of Noah’s.
There was still more of the table for Noah to catch up however if he really pushed himself.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes