Solo [Syliran Archives] It's Just A Game.

Archailist has a quiet chess match with a knight.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliran Archives] It's Just A Game.

Postby Archailist on January 5th, 2016, 2:39 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

"In that case, I guess I'll go first." The desks around them were littered with books stacked high like mountains. Most of them were history; famous battles and journals from older knights speaking of their experiences. Sheets of loose paper, probably the last remaining pieces of some of the books older still than the few hundreds of years many of these torn leather-bound tomes had survived, showed old battle tactics from back in the days of the first forming of the Syliran Knights. The writing was practically illegible and the illustrations were faded to a point almost completely beyond understanding. At least Arch wasn't the one who had to worry about them though, no. On any other day, he'd require express permission to even see the covers of some of these books.

Ser Turna, a stewart knight if the three swords on his breast was any indication, sat down on the seat opposite and cleared a small space in the maelstrom of papers until there was just enough room to set down the gnarled wooden chess set. "Do you want me to move the pieces for you?" Archailist couldn't be sure whether the man was actually being serious or not, which irked him slightly. For all the scowls he'd become accustomed to on a daily basis courtesy of Ser Iros, he'd never had so much trouble trying to gauge a person as with the stewart knight who gave off about as much outward personality as a boulder.

"I'll manage." The largest pieces brushed his hip when he stepped onto the black-and-white battlefield. Funny.. being so close to the board almost made him feel like a piece, rather than the player. A cough brought him back to the real world, though. "It's a nice set you've got here." The wood of both the pieces and the board were scratched all over, with paint peeling away in his fingers every time he touched a piece. Still, it was obvious that there was a lot of meticulous care put into the dimensions - each pawn looked identical, the squares were immaculately formed. He felt jealous. "Makes me want to invest in one myself, when I have a little more weight to my pockets." No payment for his services made luxury items all but dreams until he could start earning his own keep. Then again, stewart knights.. ahh, he could remember their wages but he could imagine they'd be rather substantial.

Soon the pieces were all laid out. "Alright, you know the drill. Make your move and choose carefully." Ser Turna was hunched over, hands clasped under his chin, watching carefully with his dark eyes. Archailist hovered between the pieces and, after a few ticks of concentration, moved the first piece. Knight, to C3.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Archailist on January 5th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Ser Turna didn't seem to react at all, pushing a pawn forwards to E3. Trying to set up pawns to counter the knight.

It became almost immediately apparent, so Archailist pushed his other knight forwards as well, into F3. You're not going to bait me.

Ser Turna seemed adamant. The next pawn along pushing two steps forwards, into D5. Purposefully into range of Archailist's knight. "You're probing too deep and exposing yourself." He'd hoped to avoid letting his strategy fall into open ground, but it was immediately obvious that Ser Turna was willingly exposing himself far too soon for his own good. This was supposed to be just a casual game; a side-activity so that both knight and squire could relax after a long day of study. They'd not arrived together - Archailist had been wandering around the limited reaches of the Archives that he was allowed to and physically able to access since the early reaches of morning, before Syna's light had even risen over the mountains. Mostly because it was one of the few warm places he could escape to, that wasn't crowded with large, loud people who seemed almost religiously intent on making his day miserable. Ser Turna had only arrived barely half a bell ago, but had immediately taken all his books to a desk at the corner and begun exploring them with fervor. Archailist had no idea why, neither had he asked - all it'd taken was a little interest in the big wooden case he'd brought with him.

"What're you talking about? You're the one pushing your best pieces forwards first." the knight suddenly retorted, tilting his head and looking back at the board from a different angle in confusion.

"There aren't any 'best' pieces in this game. There are just pieces.. and using them together is much better than just trying to use one type." One of Archailist's pawns moved forward two spaces into D4.

Ser Turna took the advice, moving his left-hand bishop towards the right of the board, into B4. Trying to corner the knight, but it's defended by pawns.

Archailist crossed the board and moved a pawn up one space to G3.

Ser Turna stopped, looking back to the board and studying it again. "You're looking for meaning, aren't you." The knight said nothing, but he was still looking back to the board with his heavy brow creased in concentration. "Look at the bishop." Arch had opened a gap for his right-hand bishop to slide out from behind the wall of pawns, if he ever needed to. The knight nodded. The game continued.

Ser Turna focused back on his pawns, moving one space forwards to F6. Once again it became horribly apparent that the knight was dead-set on trying to use his pawns to shift the force forwards. Use the lesser pawns as a bulwark, jealously guarding the rest of his more valuable pieces so that once the pawns were baited into being taken, he could pick off the important pieces and tip the entire board in his favour. A good strategy, but taking that route meant he was almost completely forgetting the key rule of the game.. protect the King.

Arch moved his left-hand bishiop one space into D2, barricading his own queen.

Ser Turna moved a pawn one space forwards again, into E5.

Arch countered, moving his own pawn two spaces forwards to E4. If this was how Ser Turna wanted to play this game, then of course that would be how the squirrel would play.. just, perhaps, not in the same way.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Archailist on January 5th, 2016, 3:33 pm

The game had moved into adolescence. Not a single piece had been lost so far, but it was safe to say that when the pieces started to fall, they'd be falling in vast numbers. Ser Turna had started the match making fairly simple decisions at a fast pace.. but now, with the weight of every move heavy on his shoulders, his speed had taken a fair toll. Strangely, he also seemed entirely concentrated on a small engagement at the middle of the board, rather than anywhere else. His pieces seemed mostly concentrated there, as if a spear-head trying to drive deep into enemy territory. There was no opening, though. Both knights were jealously guarding both pawns at the opposing wall. "No words on my performance yet, then?" Surprisingly, the dull knight had become somewhat talkative now. Archailist only shook his head quietly and waited for the knight to make his next move.

Ser Turna's bishop slid into E6, backing the pawns already there for added protection.. not that there was any real reason behind it at this point. If he wanted to make a head-on attack, he'd just be exposing the rest of his forces.

Which was exactly why Archailist made the first move and slid a pawn diagonally into D5, claiming one of Ser Turna's pawns. The old man seemed surprised as he watched the little wooden piece topple over and slowly roll over the edge of the board.. but had obviously been waiting for this. He grabbed the bishop in hand, reared back. "Go ahead." Suddenly he paused. He's seen it. The pawn was protected by one of the knights. Taking it would undoubtably cost him the bishop. A very bad trade to make.

Reluctantly, the bishop slid back one space to D7.

Arch's queen moved to E2.

Ser Turna moved a knight to E7, directly in front of his king. The man was evidently in a full retreat now.

Arch moved his second pawn to E5, and took another of Ser Turna's minions, letting it roll off the board to join its brother.

Even when Ser Turna moved a pawn to E5 to reclaim some kind of revenge for his fallen pieces, it seemed desperate. A way to cover some of his defeat by claiming some enemy pieces in his last moments, to prove that it wasn't all in vain.

When the squirrel slid his queen slowly up to E4, directly in front of that tiny little pawn, the knight finally spoke up again. "What are you doing? You're just throwing all of your pieces away!" Even with the stewart knights confusion and anger staring down at him from high above, Arch couldn't help but laugh softly and spread his hands out, from the middle of the board. By now, the board was a mess.. or at least, his own side was. The majority of Ser Turna's pieces had barely even been touched. He'd focused so much on that small piece of the board, he'd failed to realize what was happening all around it.

"If you think I'm throwing my pieces away, why don't you take them?" Now that the front line was breached.. he'd left himself no opening to take the queen that was staring his king in the face.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Archailist on January 5th, 2016, 4:10 pm

From that point, everything went down hill. Though Ser Tuna tried to take the queen by moving his bishop over to F5 to line up a kill on the queen, backed by a knight ready to counter-attack if Arch tried to take the bishop outright.. there was an easy escape.

Sliding the queen three places to the left, into B4, he took the second bishop. Colour drained from the knights face as he watched the bishop tumble over with a thump, hanging with its upper half over the edge of the board. There it balanced precariously.. until Arch planted a foot on the base and slowly pushed it over until it clattered onto the wooden desk. "You got careless."

Ser Turna moved a pawn one space forwards to C6, trying to take down the one remaining pawn on the front line.

Arch moved his queen down to B7, taking another pawn. He was lined up perfectly in home territory.. he could take the knight, directly in front. Or the rook, diagonal. Even Ser Turna's queen was only a few steps away, though obviously not in direct line of sight. "You spent all your time trying to focus on one specific area of the battlefield, defending it with all your pieces.. but you forgot that the whole board is the battlefield and the moment you lost, there wasn't anything left to back up the other pieces. You only thought skin-deep."

While he was busy lecturing, Ser Turna had moved his next piece. The knight had moved to D7, preventing him from making any attacks without Ser Turna's queen being able to counter-attack. "It's not too late! I can still bring this back." To the knights word, it was true that the stewart knight had proved himself very resourceful under pressure - able to quickly and effectively minimize damage where it happened. If only he could have stopped that damage from happening in the first place, though..

Arch's bishop moved across the board to G5.

Ser Turna's pawn moved one step forwards to H6, trying to defend what little territory he had left.

It only backfired. The bishop moved to E7, taking down one of Ser Turna's knights.. and planting it directly in front of the king, in diagonal range with the queen, and next-door to the second knight.

Their game had slowed to a crawl. Each move took at least five chimes of concentration from the stewart knight as he looked over the board back and forth, again and again, head in hands and lip chewed until it looked ready to bleed. Archailist empathized; there was no mistaking now the sheer volume of the error that the knight had made in his otherwise-brilliant tactic. He'd treated his army as though it was real. Pushed ahead with all of his might, networking the pawns so that they could protect one-another. Aiming straight for the queen and the king. Waiting for the enemy to take the bait and open a hole in its defenses before slamming ahead through any opening available. But these ideas were old and worn.. used and re-used until they were embedded in the minds of the youngest and greenest of soldiers. "Would there be any use in continuing?" the knight suddenly spoke up without lifting his head from the board.

"If these pieces were real men and this was the battlefield on the edges of Syliras, would you continue?" The knight didn't answer. He picked up his king, moved it forwards a space to E7, took the offending white bishop and tossed it away. The game went on.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Archailist on January 5th, 2016, 4:45 pm

They went on in silence. Arch's pawn moved diagonally to C6, claiming one of Ser Turna's pawns in turn.

Ser Turna made a grab for the queen, moving his rook one space to B8. Shielded by the queen's watch he couldn't take down the rook.

Instead Arch's knights, who'd not been moved once since their first move, were the ones to come to the rescue. His left knight came forwards to D5. "Check."

"Shyke." He had no choice but to move his king forwards to D6. Probably with the intention of taking down the knight.. since it was entirely unprotected.

Arch let him. To be honest, he felt rather sorry for the stewart knight. He'd done nothing wrong, after all. His plans were the same as many others would make in his same situation. Instead, he pushed his queen back up to A6.

A soft smile spread on the old man's face. "What, you're going to start showing compassion now? Pah, should have shown it a little sooner.." he said, making the clay creature chuckle softly while Ser Turna moved his king forwards a space, claiming the knight on D5.

"Well, not really.." The king and rook switched spaces, with the king moving across to C1 and the rook to D1.. putting the king in danger once again. "Check." The knight's hand slammed against the table, making the books and papers shudder. "Should have known better, shouldn't you?"

"Hah, yeah, guess I should have. Damn, this is getting depressing now, you know." Hope was slim for the match; his plan had been turned on its head and now it was backfiring. Many of his important pieces, not to mention a vast majority of the unimportant ones, were either gone or cornered with little chance of escaping. Ser Turna moved his king back a space to E6, out of the way of the rook.

Only for Arch to move his pawn one step forwards to C7, putting his king back in line with Arch's queen. "Check." The pawn was one step away from the old knight's queen.

Ser Turna moved his king one step back to E7, but there was nothing he could do to save the queen.

Arch's queen moved across to D6, protected by the rook so that it couldn't be taken. "Check."

Ser Turna moved his king back to E8. He had a front-row seat for the inevitable.

Arch's pawn moved across to D8, taking the queen and reaching the opposite end of the board. "Well, you know what this means." he little squirrel walked over and picked up the pawn with both paws, tossing it over the edge of the board nonchalantly. "Hand me a new queen, if you'd please." Reluctantly, the knight reached into the box and pulled out a second white queen piece. Archailist set it down directly next to Ser Turna's queen. "Check." Not only had he claimed the most powerful piece in his opponent's arsenal.. he'd used that very move to create a second one for himself. There was nothing more poetic.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Archailist on January 5th, 2016, 5:33 pm

Of course, the moment he got his second queen, it was taken away. There was nothing around to defend the queen once it'd arrived - if anything, he'd not even expected it to last that long. As long as, when the dust cleared, he still had one queen and Ser Turna had none, his job was done. The old knight wasted no time in moving his king across one space to D8 and claiming the second queen, tossing it straight back into the box from whence it'd came. From the look on his face, he'd taken some bit of satisfaction from it, too. But the board was still in ruin. Two rooks, a knight and a bishop on each side were still left, along with a healthy assortment of pawns.. but Arch had held securely to his secret weapon. With it, they both knew there was no way he could keep up an effective defense.

Still, the game cycled on. Arch moved his queen down to B8, destroying the old knight's rook and putting his king in check simultaneously.

Ser Turna had only one choice - move the king up to E7, exposing the second rook to the queen's gaze.

Without hesitation, Arch took it. The queen moved to H8, in two moves completely ridding his opponent of both rooks. "You know this is pretty much the end, right." He was rather sad for it to stop so soon - he'd been having fun, really he had. It wasn't every day that someone really got the opportunity to have a proper battle with a stewart knight like this. Even less so to win, regardless of whether that person was a good or bad player. Ser Turna had never struck the little Pycon as a bad player, either. He just had, well, things to learn. Much like everyone. He seemed to take it in his stride and carry on regardless, the mark of a true knight.

"Yeah, I know. It's practically impossible for me to come back from this. But, I'm not abandoning them yet. Let's keep going." Arch couldn't think of anything to say to that, so he nodded silently and watched as the old man moved his last remaining knight to F6; maybe to try and protect it jealously.

It didn't matter, anyway. Arch's queen moved up to G7, stealing yet another pawn and placing it barely a space away from the king. "Check."

The king moved up to E6, reduced to running away behind its knight to stay away from the queen.. but with the bishop and pawn bordering its other sides in such an open and sparse battlefield, his own pieces were creating an inescapable coffin.

Arch's bishop slid down to C4. "Check." He was blocked in on all sides, by the queen from below and the rook from the side. The only opportunity he had now was to block the line of attack with his knight.

Ser Turna knew it just as well. He moved his knight to D5, willingly sacrificing it to Arch's rook.

The rook moved over to D5 and claimed it. "You really are bent on making this a matter of complete domination over victory, aren't you." Arch couldn't really think of anything to say. It was certainly easier to pick off the pieces rather than try to take the king and risk his victory by opening himself to careless attacks that could cost his pieces. Even now, with his rook directly next to the king, he knew that the old knight wouldn't be able to take it.. the bishop just behind would make sure of that. There truly was no escape from the inevitable at this point, either way.. all of the pieces were secure.

As a matter of fact, all it took was one move of the knight's pawn to finish it. When he slid one of his last three pawns up one space to H5, the rook that'd taken Ser Turna's knight moved back up to the same place it'd been before.. and now there were no more pieces to make the sacrifice. "Checkmate."
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Archailist on January 5th, 2016, 6:01 pm

They both sat there for some time afterwards, looking back over the board, double-checking and triple-checking the moves that had led them to this.. quite surprising result. Surprising for the both of them, as a matter of fact - Archailist had, honest to Sylir, never thought that he would be able to beat a stewart knight. Likewise, he could imagine that Ser Terna had never imagined that given his position, he'd ever be bested by a squire. At least it wasn't out on the battlefield. "Good match." The old man smiled and agreed. They'd both played fair and valiantly. This had to be one of the very few times that the squire had ever seen a knight lose so graciously. He'd become so accustomed to these large, armoured men throw tantrums whenever they weren't getting their way. One of the perks of the knighthood; it, undoubtably, put all members in positions of significant power that, in all the wisdom of the Windoak, they could still find some way to abuse. Maybe not in the same ways as that of the Ravokians or the Sunberthians, using their positions to wantonly murder and rape and generally manipulate everyone around them to their every last wish.. but there were always those who teetered precariously on the boundaries of acceptable behaviour.

"Likewise to you.. I must say, I'm surprised you're not out doing.. well, actually, what is it you're normally doing?" He recoiled. Was he actually trying to start up conversation? Well holy shyke. He tried to distract himself with picking up and sorting out the papers that were still scattered all over the place.

"Err, not a lot, you know. Normal duties of a squire, training and patrolling. Occasionally going out to help with various jobs around the city, wherever we're needed. I can't do any of the more complex jobs but I can offer my hands." To demonstrate, he stood up and flexed his fingers. It took a few ticks of staring for the knight to understand and nod his head sagely. Being a Pycon has its fair share of disadvantages when it comes to helping out with many jobs around the Order. There were many jobs, unskilled manual labour opportunities all around the castle and in the outposts like Mithryn that he'd been forced to respectfully decline, simply because he lacked the strength or the stature. It held him back. A lot.

"Well, I'm sure I can find something for you to do, if you were to come with one of my groups." Wait, was he actually offering to take the Pycon out during one of their drills, or other business? He had to stop himself from just leaping straight off the table then and there. A chance to actually work! To contribute!

"Oh.. Oh wow. Well of course I'd love to! I'd have to double-check it with my patron, Ser Iros.. I'm sure he'd allow it though. Wow." He must have been staring off into space again because by the time he'd come back to himself, the rest of the desk was cleared of books and notes. "Oh! Ser!" The knight, with his mountain of books filling both hands to beyond the brim, struggled to turn around in the narrow gaps between shelves to peer at the small clay creature waving its arms to grab his attention. "If.. If you ever want to have another chess match, just tell me?" The old man grinned.

"I think that was all the chess I needed. Besides.. I'm sure you know that although chess is the closest simulation to real battles as we can have.. they're also very, very far away from the real thing. No real battle will have a flat playing field with no obstacles.. nor will there always be the same number of pieces on each side. There's no guarantee that the pieces will do as you please.. some might end up killing your own pieces and themselves, even." Arch became confused, but he didn't have time to ask what in Hai the stewart knight was talking about. As he walked away, he only heard bitter mumbling under his breath that suddenly made the Pycon very, very happy that he'd kept his use of Flux to a minimum.. and refused to outright tell anyone of his knowledge or interest in it just yet. "Damn petching magic users and their petching..."
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Reflection on March 11th, 2016, 1:58 am

Hello Squire Archailist!

XP
  • Tactic: 3 XP
  • Logic: 2 XP
  • Deduction: 2 XP
  • Intelligence: 5 XP
  • Subterfuge: 1 XP
Lores
  • Ser Turna: Stewart Knight
  • Ser Turna: Prefers a Brunt Attack Over Strategical
  • Self: As Big As Game Pieces
  • Logic: There Are No Best Pieces in the Game
  • Logic: In the Game the Whole Board is the Battlefield
  • Tactic: Strategy is Key
  • Tactic: Make 'em Feel Safe, Go in for the Kill
  • Intelligence: Gathering Information to Take Advantage

Comments: That was quite an enjoyable story! I got quite a few chuckles from the interactions between Ser Turnas and Arch. Good thing his banging on the table from frustration didn't knock the pieces over. The battle of wits and mind to conquer the wooden battlefield!

Don't forget to date the thread and add it to your threads list on your CS.

Enjoy your grade! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Signature courtesy of Prophet

Reflection
Assistant Storyteller

Words: 88001
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2016, 9:19 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes