[The Anthonius Fighter's Pit] Cold Fingers in the 'Pit

[Ferrin] Nothing like some training as the snow falls

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Cor Alspach on January 25th, 2016, 11:43 pm

31st of Winter, 515

The boy glared up at the morning sky that hovered over the Pit. He breathed a stream of warm air into his cupped hands, still glaring. How dare the snow try to interrupt his plans. How dare it. The boy hated the stuff. Snow meant tracks that could easily be followed. Snow meant brightening the corners that would normally hold shadows. Snow meant cold fingers and cold toes and ruined plans.

The snow wasn’t going to ruin this plan.

Trudging through the thin white layer, Cor made his way through the fighters that dotted the pit. They were the more dedicated ones, everyone else being tucked away inside. The boy nearly turned back around, it was a toss up to whether the few that were there would mean he would be noticed more or less. It wouldn’t hurt if he just had a look. He didn’t need to follow through with his plan, but if he was at the weapon racks at least he could have a look for the fourth time that week.

One numb hand went into his coat pocket and the other reached out to feel along the blades. His fingers grazed the side of one sword and left him with the same disappointment. All of the weapons here were dulled. Still, a dull weapon was better than no weapon.

Just as he had previously, Cor was finally dragged to the row of daggers. They were the reason. One in particular always stood out to him and he imagined defending himself with such a weapon. His dreams were filled with him taking out armies of Knights with just the one dagger. If only he had a dagger then he would be unstoppable. The boy bit his lip and wrapped his fingers around the handle, lifting it for a better inspection. Sure, he could buy one. That was an option. Father’s visits were getting less frequent though and that meant the money with it. As much as he could go buy the most beautiful dagger he could find, it wouldn’t do much good if he and Pan went hungry. Gran could get a job, she’d be fine, but he needed more food than her. His fingers wrapped tighter around the dagger’s handle. It would be so easy to slip it into his coat, no one would suspect a boy just keeping his fingers warm inside his jacket.

Cor was snapped out of his thoughts as a voice spoke, obviously aimed at him. He nearly dropped the blade but managed to clumsily place it back down quickly as if it had grown a set of eyes.
Last edited by Cor Alspach on January 26th, 2016, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cor Alspach
Player

Words: 40048
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2016, 5:32 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on January 26th, 2016, 12:20 am

Ferrin had a thing for the Training Pits. It made the Kenashian feel close to the Knights when he wasn't an actual one as of yet. He was still racking up the nerve to want to become one and sign up at the Recruitment Office. Snow had recently fallen upon the ground and it had grown slightly cooler by the bell. Though, Ferrin didn't mind much. Well, he had a comfy cloak wrapped about him and is currently wearing some leather armour that has the ability to sustain little amounts of heat that had been generated from the man's body.

There was a young boy who had scurried across the pits. And he left a trail of shoe prints. The Kenashian scanned them with his eyes as he had discovered the destination where the boy had gone. The racks. Of course. That was where. Ferrin sheathed the dull short broadsword in its sheath as Ferrin started following the trail himself. He had just finished a round with another commoner. Fighting wasn't all that hard once you know how to do it. So, he at least deserved a few chimes of a break.

The boy was young in age.

Younger then Ferrin had assumed. The boy stood silently by the racks examining each and every weapon. He swiftly strolled to the rack that had stored the daggers. The boy held one of the dull blades by the handle taking a look at the small weapon with inspiration as if he were some sort of artists who wanted to actually paint a picture of a dull dagger that had no lust and extravagance. "Hey, there my young fellow. Have an interest in daggers I see? The daggers a nice choice to duel with, but it isn't my taste."The boy instantly dropped the dagger as Ferrin spoke. Ferrin didn't mean to frighten the boy. The Kenashian was just... Curious, was it? Curiosity?

"Sorry to frighten you m'boy do you want to learn to fight? I'm not much of a teacher, but I can show you how to at least hold a dagger like that. Even though I do not use them myself. Its not usually a weapon I prefer though. Whats your name, boy?"Ferrin spoke to the boy as he had placed the dagger back in its original spot. Ferrin spoke softly, not as hard as a Knight would to their Squires. Ferrin smiled and nodded to the boy who seemed to have been doing the right thing. But he had one question in mind. "What was the boy doing with the dagger, was he just inspecting it? Or was he planning to do something with it?" Even though the Kenashian seemed nice, he kept a close eye on the boy. And would watch whatever move the boy could somehow muster.

What could happen?

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Cor Alspach on January 26th, 2016, 2:03 am

All trace of shock was gone from his face by the time he turned toward the dark-haired speaker. He finally shrugged in response to the question. “They’re okay I guess.” The boy wiped his nose on his sleeve as the man continued. He forced his face to keep a look of innocence rather than the scowl he so wanted to give the man for questioning his ability to hold a dagger. Close hand around the grip, hold. Couldn’t be much more than that to it, could there? Yes, there were different swings, different stabs of which Cor had seen men use in brawls but surely something like that wouldn’t be hard to master? It was just a little weapon.

“...Whats your name, boy?"

Cor’s thoughts went back to his mistake of not using a fake name with his meeting with the Knight, Virgil. Days and days later he was still kicking himself for that, for his lack of thinking. He couldn’t afford to have everyone know anything about him anymore -- not that he let that information out freely before. That settled it. “My name’s Virgil,” he lied to the man. The name of the Knight would be an easy one to use and remember, he’d just have to make a note of it when he got back home. One of his feet tapped lightly on the ground as if keeping a beat or keeping warm more like it. “What’s your name, sir?” His head tilted to the side and his voice carried on with the sound of innocence. His gaze was momentarily taken by the cloud that formed from his breath and he gave a small smile, allowing himself to breath out another breath slowly and watching it swirl away. Yes, just an innocent child. Nothing to see here.

Unsure of what the man had seen, Cor decided to steer away from the daggers. “I just like the look of the daggers,” he said. “I wouldn’t care to use one,” he lied. “What weapon do you prefer? Can you show me how to use that one?” The boy was itching to leave but the fact that someone had offered to give him a free fighting lesson wasn’t something he could pass up -- even if he was numb with cold.
Cor Alspach
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on January 26th, 2016, 3:52 pm

The Kenashian smiled warmly at the young boy. Whom responded to his inquiry quite calmly. Which had surprised the man, since the boy appeared quite fidgity and eager. He has some... Energy to want to do things. The boy claimed his name was Virgil. Who would name there son, Virgil? It nearly sounds like a name given for sinners. But, this boy rarely looked like one. Though, his hair nearly looked like a dirty mop in a way. Ferrin sighed as he tried to imagine what the boy was thinking about.

Unfortunately, he did not have the ability to read auras. That's a mage thing. And mage things only. Perhaps he could get something unique out of this boy. The boys voice seemed to have had wavered as he spoke in a near nervous tone. Was the boy afraid of the Kenashian, or was it just the cold getting to the boy? Where was his winter gear to keep him warm in this type of weather?"Aye, just like the look of them eh? I bet there's much more than that to want and hold one. Oh, you mean this blade?The Kenashian pointed his right hand down towards the sheathed short broadsword.

It wasn't his weapon, no. His was at home in the Traveler's Row. Well, what seemed like home at least. Ferrin knew quite well what the boy was going to say next. Or did he? A training lesson? Ferrin isn't much of a trainer. He was still learning how to actually fight with it. But, he could give a few pointers. Perhaps show the boy how to use it?

The possibilities flown through his mind as the boy had asked the Kenashian his own name.Er ah, my name would be Ferrin. Sorry nearly lost in thought for a moment. I'm not much of a teacher, but I could show you how to hold it properly." The man unsheathed the sword and it came out with a sound of metal being scracted it was a sharp piercing sound. Almost. Ferrin held the handle with a tight grip and tested the weight of the blade. Only one hand had fit around the handle. But if you want to have a strong swing with the blade, it was recommended to hold the handle with two hands.

"So, what you want to do with a blade that looks like this. Preferably with one hand if you have a shield with your off hand. But, if you are not using a shield. It's easier to hold it with two to find out the perfect swing. Like this."The Kenashian demonstrated by taking both his hands on the handle and swung the blade horizontally cutting through the thin layers of air that was really indestructible. He was only a few feet from the boy so then there wasn't any chances for injuries."Do you want to try?"Ferrin asked and assumed that the boy wouldn't do anything malicious. And the man hoped he could put forth enough trust into the boy who had appeared to Ferrin of suspicion.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cor Alspach on January 27th, 2016, 8:11 am

The boy chuckled nervously. Yes, just liked the look of the daggers. Who was he fooling? Obviously not the man who stood before him. Truth be told, he wasn’t sure that he really had a plan with a dagger anyway so it wasn’t completely untrue (not that that would have mattered). Most of his fights were small scuffles with the other young boys. Someone said something you don’t like so you try to knock ‘em down as some type of law. Something told him that he was starting to tread more dangerous waters though. A boy his height he could knock down but if a man attacked him he would be at a disadvantage. A dagger would be concealable and might help offset that.

The boy nodded at hearing the man’s name and offer of showing how to hold the sword. Ferrin. Committed to memory and shortly to be committed to notebook once he returned to the safe confines of his apartment. His face lit up with a grin as the sword was swept out. They weren’t as concealable as daggers and thus weren’t quite as enticing but there was still the boyish curiosity and thrill to something sharp and shiny. The weapons in the Pit were dull and it wasn’t like he was offered a swing with a sword by every stranger. His fingers itched to hold it.

"So, what you want to do with a blade that looks like this. Preferably with one hand if you have a shield with your off hand. But, if you are not using a shield. It's easier to hold it with two to find out the perfect swing. Like this."

The boy automatically leaned back slightly as it was swung even though Ferrin was far enough away from him. The offer of the sword couldn’t come quick enough and Cor reached forward, taking it with glee. “Like this?” he asked after adjusting his hands on the grip. It felt far too heavy but he swung it anyway without waiting for the man’s guidance. The swing was sloppy but a grin was plastered over the boy’s face.

The grin might’ve stayed there too had not a fighter to the side called out with a chuckle “Finally convinced someone to help you there, Cor?” The boy’s expression fell. The fighter went back to his drills but the damage had already been created. Cor gave Ferrin a sideways look, trying to judge in a matter of seconds as to whether he heard. No, it was too loud for him not to have heard. More judging whether the man had put two and two together regarding the name discrepancies.

Badly done on the name there, Cor. Badly done.
Cor Alspach
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on January 27th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Obviously, the sword was to heavy for the boy. He hefted it with trouble. The scene was somewhat practical, and funny in a way. The boy took a swing after he had stepped back a few feet, perhaps a precaution. The boy was curious. And after he finished, a man's voice called out from the grounds. Cor? Why did the man call him Cor? Was his name really Virgil? Ferrin knew something was odd about this boy. But, why would he go such a distance to lie about his name? Was he ashamed of the entitlement? Or, was a spy? What was the boy actually doing here at the Pits?

What information would he possibly want to gain? Ferrin spoke up, the tone was spoken with curiosity "Cor? Is that your name? Do you not trust me? I am someone not to be afraid of. But, you need to have to hold the sword with your elbows angled. You'll get a more swift swing when you strike. Especially since your elbows have a but more comfort. If you have your elbows in a comfortable position, you'll have less chances to pop it. And it would only improve the horizontal swing. Striking vertically is a lot more different than one would imagine."

The Kenashian was confused he wasn't much of a teacher, he just knee the basics of holding and proper swinging. The winds brushed against Ferrin's cloak, slightly annoying the man. The cloak flapped and made swooshing noises as it made contact with each light gusts of each wind."Try, again. And this time come clean."The last two was meant to be half and half. Half meant to the boy and his name. And the other half, the swing of the sword."Keep your elbows at a 90 degree angle, as best you can. Once you swing, you would have a smooth transition as you do so and it will tend to get easier as you practice. It only took me a few years when I was your age to at least muster and understand the concepts of the blade. Though, my father didn't approve of the blade that I have had chosen. He insisted on the Longsword, but I prefer lighter. I don't particularly have a perfect reason, but it gave me comfort when I held something with such weight as this sword." "Try again."

Ferrin hoped this boy would come clean, he doesn't trust those whom lie and betray him. Some people in Kenash claim that he is just like his father. But, that's the thing. He didn't want to be like his father. He wanted to be himself...

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cor Alspach on January 28th, 2016, 1:18 am

He heard. The deed was done. There were still options, still things that could be done if Cor’s quick mind were quicker. Perhaps if his brain weren’t still tugged by the folly of childhood. Maybe if he had just a few more years under his belt. As an adult it might’ve all come clear. But the boy went into panic mode. The little workers in his brain started rioting.

He kept it partially covered at first under a weak smile. His elbow angled to what he thought the man meant but he was hardly listening. His mind was on the distance between himself and the entrance of the Pit and whether the man could catch him or if he would want to. Automatically the boy swung the sword, still knowing all too well that he hadn’t given the man an answer. The swing again was a sloppy one. His elbows still far too stiff. “It’s my last name.” His voice sounded hollow. Everything was misfiring, he was losing control of the situation.

"Try, again. And this time come clean."

The boy started muttering under his breath, refusing to look at the man as he continued on with a further explanation of the blade. It was true, the weapon did feel lighter and more maneuverable than the heavy longswords that hung from the rack. Cor gave it another swing. Was the man a mind reader? Had Cor been watching the situation he would have known that he was being far too obvious. Far too obviously lying but right there at that moment he couldn’t see past it. “I told you, it’s my last name.” He said this quietly, struggling to get the control once more of his voice.

“Try again.”

Cor snapped. With a snarl he turned to the man and hurled the blade “NO!” It was a sloppy throw. It was a throw fuelled with the strength of pent-up rage.

But it was a throw nonetheless.

Cor ran.
Last edited by Cor Alspach on January 28th, 2016, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cor Alspach
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on January 28th, 2016, 1:47 am

The boy, Virgil. Which he claimed his name to be. Seemed agitated, angered by something. Was it the fact that he appeared to have the inability to even hold the sword properly. The boy was under a bit of stress from the man's point of view. Ferrin knew quite well, that the boy was having trouble to comprehend the situation and his surroundings.

Virgil repeated that Cor was his last name. Bit, it didn't sound like any name known to Ferrin, that, would be a last name. Though, Ferrins name was a bit odd, but this boy's name was unfamiliar to the point. The boy grew more eager and anxious as he was uncertain about this scenario. Did Ferrin do something wrong? What was it? Did he approach the boy in the wrong manner?

"Ok, ok woa-"His words were cut off as the boy grew at a high level of anger. He even made the attempt to poorly throw the blade towards him, though it was unsuccessful the boy managed to run off as he fled Ferrin stood in place nearly awestrucked and flabbergasted of the fact that the boy had even thought of doing such things. Even when the boy had lied about his name, he still continued to show the boy a few tips. Even, when the boy was having trouble with the process he hadn't gotten mad. Still, the boy went to high measures to even throw the dull blade at the Kenashian?

What did Ferrin ever do to have the boy run off? At least, no one was hurt. Shame though, the boy. What was going on through that little head of his, tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Ferrin picked up the sword and placed it in the sheath and relinquished the Weapon back on the rack. Exhaustion hit the man and he soon felt the need to head back to his apartment room. He relinquished his leather armour that belonged to the armor shelves and headed back towards the Traveler's Row.

What a day.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Konrad Venger on March 26th, 2016, 11:30 pm

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Ferrin

XP:
Observation - 3
Socialization - 1
Teaching - 2

Lore:
Fighting Pits: Close to The Knights as I'll Get, for Now
Be Polite, Be Friendly, But Don't Be Stupid Around Strangers
Finding out The Truth
Sword: Proper Grip
Vigril Cor: Angry Young Man

Click Me! :
Corrin? Y'know the drill. PM me, mate!

Wow, what a BRAT! Still, I'd love to have seen some more digging into WHAT makes Corrin so explosively bratty, but I suppose that'll be for some other time. Nice work, Ferrin, a good start. ;-)

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4