An Undeniable Interest (Jade + Cor)

Jade and Ferrin encounter a little someone. Whom might be mischievous, perhaps?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on February 2nd, 2016, 12:22 am

Winter515 65th of 92nd

Having a seasons worth of food is good to have. Especially when you have had cooked some in the morning. Though, time had passed and ticks turned into chimes. And, chimes turned into Bells. Leaving the two alone. It was near the afternoon as the two conversed about their cultures. Interesting it was to find more about Jade and her living style(s). Ferrin set his afternoon cup of tea on the counter that rested near the water basin. Ready to be cleaned. Though, Ferrin had all day to be able to do such a thing.

"So, Jade. I've been thinking that we could take a visit out to some shops down a few blocks. Perhaps we can get each other a few things to settle upon. And perhaps not be so... Bored?"The Kenashian was glad to have Jade around. Without knowing a lot of people whom lived within the Traveler's Row, it had gotten pretty lonely.

Ferrin decided that he could do something special for the Drykas woman. Whom had treated him so kindly. Though, Ferrin had already payed at least enough respect for his hospitality towards Jade. But, doing things for others relinquishes good respect back from that other person."How does that sound Jade? Good?"Ferrin hoped so.

The man was lost in thought as he thought about his family. Thinking of them has had been slightly different. The abstratical thoughts were deep through his nexus. He wanted to think of glorious moments with them. And not those which were of bad memory. Though, there are memories where he had those fun times with his siblings and parents. Time slowly ticked by, tick after tick it seemed. Soon, ticks turned into chimes. And Ferrin had forgotten where he had been.

Though, he knew where exactly where he was. The Traveler's Row. And not Kenash. How long had it been since he had left his home? A few seasons now? It was mid summer when the man had ventured into this city. Known as, Syliras. The Fortress City of Peace. The significance of the name was foreign to Ferrin, as he couldn't quite muster what that title meant. Even though, the title was obvious enough as it seemed.

The Order took in Knights and squires who would volunteer to protect Mizahar from the darkest depths of the world. What would happen if these dark creatures had actually escaped the ramparts of Mizahar? How would the rest of Mizahar react with such an event? What measures would the people take to delay the actual invasion? How would these people prepare for these acts of measurements?

Questions, so many questions. What he needs are answers. Perhaps. The man could find something worth of interest. Wasn't there a building that sold books. Books, that might be aged and dusted. Perhaps covered by piles of other things and cobwebs? Maybe he could find something there. Oh, what was the name. Was it Undeniable Interests? Or something of the like? Ferrin wasn't so sure, though he could possibly find it out while they walked through the streets.

The foreigners cloaks and coats hung up on a peg near the wooden door that led outside info the hallway of The Traveler's Row. Hopefully, the two could manage to find something. In terms, nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on February 2nd, 2016, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jade Laken on February 2nd, 2016, 2:59 am

Jade looked at the herbs while making the tea for the morning. Ferrin did not make much of a variate as far as herbs, but she was more than happy to use what the pair had in the apartment. Humming gently the young blond was using a strawberry and honey flavoring to see how it would come out. The young woman looked back at the boy as he began to speak once more.

"Sure I would be happy to go," Jade said with a smile wanting to see more of the city.

Jade sat with the young man drinking the tea that was perfect to her standards. She was happy with the out come of said tea able to relax. The woman was surprised that the Keneshian was so ready to get out today.

"Could we maybe go by that shop called uh crap what is the name OH Undeniable Interests," Jade asked looking at the young man with a smile.

She walked over to the kitchen and put the cup away, "want me to make some soup tonight?"

Jade knew how to make a great vegetable soup that went well with a lemon tea. Shaking her head some making her hair fly behind her head so that it was not in front of her eyes.
Jade Laken
Even the most confident fall to fear

Words: 194195
Joined roleplay: September 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on February 2nd, 2016, 5:13 pm

Winter515 65th of 92nd

The young man, had soon finished his cup of tea that Jade had decided to have had made earlier. Ferrin was now ready to get up and go."Aye, yes. The Undeniable Interests. I've heard of it now. That was the place I was just recently thinking about if I recall. The building is located within the Neetle District Here. Where the taverns and businesses are also located."Ferrin smiled as he spoke, merely excited to venture into the city.

"Perhaps we could get something at the Undeniable Interests. I haven't been to the building as of yet. I would like to take a visit there."The man got up with a stretch and yawned. He smiled once more at the Drykas woman as he slowly walked towards his cloak."Here, let me go get your coat."The Kenashian asked. He hurriedly gathered the cloak and the coat and handed the coat to Jade. The man slipped his somewhat beffy feet into his boots. His cotton sewn socks somewhat scratched the man's feet in the leather boots. That were meant to be fittig for him.

"After you Jade."Ferrin said as he had opened the door. Jade left the room after she placed the cup near the water basin on the counter. Ferrin locked the door as the two stepped out into the building. "Anywhere else that you would like to go and see after we make our visit at the Undeniable Interests?"The Kenashian asked as the two strolled down the wooden steps that led out to the main room of the Traveler's Row.

There was the owner who sat behind the counter. Matilda Owens. A Konti. She was everything, but, gruesome. And Ferrin appreciated her kindness. And hospitality through her ownership of the building. Ferrin said his goodbye and managed to take a cookie as he left the building.

The two ventured into the mere busy city of Syliras. Ferrin was glad that it wasn't as busy as it would be in the warmer seasons. Especially summer. When it's warm out in the Syliran region, tons of people leave their homes and businesses to enjoy the warm weather by walking around the city. It was different in Kenash. There, it was mostly agricultural. But, the city was prominently organized; well. The set up of the city was somewhat organized.

The two passed a few other businesses and taverns while the two walked down through the cobblestone filled streets. Footsteps promptly echoed as the shoes tapped against the stone flooring. But, were muted by the voices of each and every other commoner which decided to chat and converse with each other. The walk wasn't to much if a walk, and eventually the two had reached their destination. The Undeniable Interests.

The building was small. Someaht dusty and merely run down. Though, the building itself definitely expressed its ageness. And it's physique. Ferrin pushed open the door and allowed Jade to follow in behind. Ferrin was particularly interested in the building. Small, almost welcoming. Though, dusty and nearly clean/organized. There was an aged man that could perhaps match the ageness of the building itself. Old, but still had life within him.

"Aye, what can I do fer ya."The man said as he attempted to brush off dust from a couple of piles of books that were positioned upon the wooden dusted table."Hello. Mind if we browse for a bit. We're not looking for anything as of yet." "But, I was told this might be where we could get some books and the like."There was rustling from the back of the near darkened room. Perhaps it was just the books that had fallen.

"Yes, I'm fine. Don't mind my employees, they can be quite... Brooding. You better pick up those books boy. And not be so clumsu. I ain't paying you to mess with those books of mine. They're fragile alright and quite valuable." The man snorted and walked away from his responsibility of dusting off the dust on the pile of books."Well, Jade. Anything you see in particular that you would like to get? By the way. Do you know how to read? I mean, not trying to be insignificant or anything, but you said that when you were in Endrykas you were taught to speak the human tounge. But, were you ever taught to read it?"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jade Laken on February 2nd, 2016, 7:59 pm

"Thank you," Jade said and took the cloak from the man putting it on.

Jade slipped on her light weight boots as the pair got ready to go to Undeniable Interests. She smiled and walked out of the apartment making sure the door clicked and waved to Matilda as the pair walked out. The blond was not hungry at the moment so she did not bother picking up the cookies that were on the counter. Jade made sure her cloak was pulled around her as they walked into the city streets. Walking inside of the building from out in the cold the woman shook her head throwing of the light dusting of snow on her head off. Jade looked when a older man called to the pair as they walked in. Jade listened as Ferrin spoke with the older man, looking when she heard shuffling and the sound of books falling in the back; she was not surprised that with so much stuff something was bound to fall over. Jade turned her gray eyes to the young man she had entered the building with when he spoke her name to get her attention.

"No, hardly any one in Endrykas knows how to read the written word. Only ones who know such things are those from the Topaz clan mostly and even then there are few who understand anything," Jade said looking at the book gently sliding her fingers across the spines wanting to know what each said.

She had heard of books and how with the right knowledge one could become what they were not. Learn things that no drykas would ever know while hunting the plains. Slowly and gently the young woman pulled a book down seeing the picture of a horse on the binding. Quickly flipping the book open the young woman had to swallow hard looking and staring at the strange letters unsure of what any of them say when the letters from together.
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cor Alspach on February 2nd, 2016, 9:17 pm

The day hadn’t started off very well for Cor. Pan had been somewhat slower in the morning and that meant the boy had to carry him further than normal. They didn’t stay for long out in the snow but when the pair arrived in the shop he was told very plainly that he had been late and then had to make up for it if he wanted his pay for the day. Cor removed his coat and hat and got to work. The shop was rather moody and dark so the boy’s first task had been to go around carefully lighting candles and lamps.

It was tricky business and Cor couldn’t help the light perspiration that spread across his brow. The careful instructions he had received previously had come almost as a reproof as it was such a great responsibility. One stray spark, one careless wave of a candle, and the whole shop could go up in flames. Cor treated the whole process the same as a difficult pickpocketing attempt. With one lit candle in his hand (thankfully there was always at least something burning so he wouldn’t have to try and create sparks in the middle of the tinder box) he would tip toe around the shop dabbing the flame on the other candles. Some candles were so low that he’d have to go back and replace them with new ones later. All in all it was a very slow and stressful process for the boy.

The door opened and closed letting in two people to the shop. Cor’s hand wavered, his mind distracted for a moment. Ariva was quick to welcome though so he wouldn’t need to rush over. The boy didn’t recognize the voice of the first speaker but was trying to listen hard enough to the words that when he looked back at what he was doing he gave a quiet choked gasp as the edge of a book cover was starting to smolder. In one swift movement Cor blew out the candle and attacked the book with a hand to quell it from going any further. This action of course caused the stack to unbalance itself and the top few books toppled to the ground before the boy could steady the rest of the them.

The voice came strong and clear from the front of the shop, Ariva clearly speaking so Cor could hear. "Yes, I'm fine. Don't mind my employees, they can be quite... Brooding. You better pick up those books boy. And not be so clumsy. I ain't paying you to mess with those books of mine. They're fragile alright and quite valuable." Cor moved quietly to pick up the fallen books.

When Cor placed the last book on top of the pile he looked up to see his employer’s face hovering right before his own. The man whispered harsh into Cor’s face. “What I think just happened better not have happened.”

Cor’s eyes widened and he shook his head profusely. “N-nothing happened.”

“Good,” came the reply. “Now pick up that candle then go attend to the customers.” The man shuffled off grumbling to himself into the deeper confines of the shop. Cor let out a breath through his teeth and did as he was told.

The boy patted dust off his hands onto his pants as he slipped out from between the shelves. He caught the tail end of their conversation “...Topaz clan mostly and even then there are few who understand anything.”

Cor’s eyes flicked between both people and recognition slowly filtered across his face. The woman was much more recognizable as he had met her only five days prior. She let him pet her horse. Then the memory of how close she would get flickered into his mind and he took half a step back. The man was from deeper in his memory but it was still rather hard to forget a face that one throws a sword at. He hoped neither of them would recognize him here in his place of employment. At least Ariva was far enough away busy with his own thing.

He was about to slip back into the stacks but it was too late, they had already seen him. Not knowing what else to say even though the owner had already offered the same thing, Cor gave a small cough. “Let me know if you two need anything.”

Cor / Others / 733 words Image
Cor Alspach
Player

Words: 40048
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2016, 5:32 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on February 2nd, 2016, 10:54 pm

Winter515 65th of 92nd

The Kenahsian was certainly confused to why the aged man had not chosen to come back to re attend to his cleaning. Though, he was more so upset, in a slight manner. To discover that the boy, that he had met a little over 30 days prior. If it was one thing he could forget, it would be names. But, sadly he can't possibly forget someones name whom threw a sword at the man and scurried away like a frightened mouse. Especially, when the mouse was pounced and lunged at by a predator. Well, you can't really describe Ferrin as a predator. Even though, all humans and races that are part humanoid. Are considered predators. He wouldn't harm anything, unless it was necessary.

Hunting is a different kind of necessary thing, though. It was. Hunting was different then just hurting some random animal. You might sacrifice the beasts' soul to Dira. The Goddess of Death. Or perhaps some other type of goddess that collected souls.

Jade was somewhat interested in deciphering the written writings of the human tongue. Though, the language might be challenging for those whom are foreign to it. But, once you get the hang of it, the process will get easier. "If you want, I can always teach you. Its not to hard. Since, you understand the human language, I can just explain to you all and each letter. The pronunciations of each letter. Once you get that settled, your basically set. Though, I've been told that the vowels might be somewhat difficult for those who aren't used to the human language."

There was a middle aged man who tended to the rest of the books, dusting and conversing with the two. And from out of the blue, revealed a familiar face. One worth recognizing. Virgil?Was it. The boys name. Virgil Cor?Or did he prefer Cor over Virgil? The boy attempted to walk back towards the stack of books that he was tending to. But, it seemed that he was ordered by the aged man who owned the shop, told the boy to attend to the customers. Assuming, Jade and Ferrin were the customers.

"Ah, Virgil. Am I right? About those previous days, the day we met. Hope I wasn't being to... Difficult in any manner. But, there was no need for violence. Actions speak louder then words, m'boy. I do have one question though."The books, what books wouldn't be as expensive as some rare scroll from the pre-valterrian. If anyone had ever found one."Is there any set price for these books? Your boss, seemed to have dismissed himself without any thorough explanation. I hope you don't mind, Virgil? Is it alright if you could explain the prices."Ferrin asked as he picked up a book that seemed to have an engraved bow on it. But, he looked at the front and back of the covers and noticed no prices were tagged.

Ferrin understood of the image. Archery, perhaps. Though, the book felt more like rubber than leather. The binding appeared to be nearly worn out. The leather strap that bounded the leathery book, looked scratched and dusted up. Ferrin wiped some cobwebs from the book, and blew off the remaining dust particles. The flown throughout the open space, for perhaps a few ticks and settled onto something new. To get dirty. Ferrin coughed once as he might have had ingested some.

"For example, how much would this one cost?"The man asked as he held it to face towards Cor. He was uncertain of the pricing for these books. Assuming, they might have a valuable price. The room was dimly lit, and the candles that were lit looked as if they were lit just recently. Still, books caked the room, in piles and stacks. Other items were smothered with dust and Ferrin discovered that half of them were hard to determine of what they were. He smiled at the boy, and assured him as things could be alright. He hoped that Jade, wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary and maybe lunge at the boy for his prior acts of violence towards Ferrin. Though, Ferrin assumed that she wouldn't possibly do such a thing.

Though, there was always a slight chance that the Drykas woman, might as well lunge at the boy. But, from the way the Drykas Woman acts, she would most likely act calm. "Jade, do you see any book of interest yet? Anything that might... Spark your interest?"

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on February 4th, 2016, 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jade Laken on February 3rd, 2016, 2:36 am

"That would be nice," Jade said with a smile happy that he was willing to help her learn something she is unable to do.

Jade looked when she heard him call out a name to someone behind the girl. Her eyes widened some seeing the young boy from five days prior. She saw him take a step back from them which confused the young girl. Turning her attention back to Ferrin to see the same look of recognition on his face as he spoke to the young boy. 'Virigl'. That was the name Ferrin called to the young boy and what more shocked the girl was to hear that the child had thrown a sword at the older man.

"He threw a sword at you?" Jade said in shock as she continued to hold on to the book with the horses on it.

She turned her attention back to Ferrin as he asked about the price of the books within the store. Gray eyes traveled back down to the book in her hand. Sure she could always learn more about horses but this was a rare opportunity to find a book about something she didn't have some kind of knowledge on. A book caught her eye as she put the book on horses away deciding to come back should the lessons on reading pay off. She slowly took the book down from the shelf, "can you read this?" Jade asked and nearly knocked Ferrin out with the book wanting to know what the title on the front said as the binding caught her eye, but the mystical picture on the front is what peaked her interest in it.
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cor Alspach on February 4th, 2016, 12:33 am

The boy tapped one hand absentmindedly against the leg of his pants. Yes. They recognized him. No getting away now. He had nearly forgotten about his attempt at a false name for the man and corrected him with a simple “Cor. My name is Cor.” Hopefully his master wouldn’t have heard the blunder. He ignored the rest of the man’s attempt at reconciliation for the actions done previously. Cor wasn’t exactly sorry that he had thrown the sword, especially as it hadn’t hit. It was a sticky situation and he needed out of it. At the same time it wouldn’t do to be talking about it too loudly in the shop.

“Is there any set price for these books? Your boss, seemed to have dismissed himself without any thorough explanation…” The boy nodded, eager to change the subject.

“Most non-magical books range between five and ten gold mizas though they can easily reach around thirty-five. It mostly depends on the subject and the author and the availability.” The boy’s tone as he spoke was rather matter-of-factly and sounded rehearsed like he repeated the same thing on a daily basis -- which he very nearly did. He noticed a book in the woman’s hands and was about to ask to see it before the man grabbed one seemingly at random.

Cor gave another slight cough through the dust that was blown into the air. He had learned early that the shop was not one to move quickly in for fear of swelling big clouds into the air. The boy leaned forward on his tippy toes to get a look at the cover of the book the man was holding toward him. “Ah,” Cor said. “That would be ‘Hunter of the South’,” he said reading the title. Then, closing his eyes for a moment to think he continued “I believe that one is ten gold mizas.” He was quite happy that there was no shout from the back of the shop which would mean he had it wrong. Maybe he was getting better at memorizing everything after all.

The boy watched as the woman put down the book she was holding and pulled a different one from the book then asked Ferrin if he could read it. “Ohh no,” Cor said with a chuckle and shaking his head, reaching out to take the book. “That’s a copy of the Treval Codex. It’s mostly just for wizards.” He didn’t even bother mentioning the fifty gold miza price tag, hoping his description of the book alone would be enough to discourage the two from it.

Cor / Others / 430 words Image
Cor Alspach
Player

Words: 40048
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2016, 5:32 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on February 4th, 2016, 6:19 pm

Winter515 65th of 92nd

"Ah, Cor. That's a good name. That wasn't that bad eh?" Ferrin chuckled. The man faced Jade as she was... Surprised to find out the behavior of this young boy named, Cor."Yes, but it didn't do any significant damage. And it wasn't an effective throw for the boy though, and he would have to do a lot more than throw a sword to harm me." Ferrin said with a nervous chuckle. He took another look around the small square like room. That was once cleaned and dust free. But, now. The room was piled high with books and other miscellaneous objects.

Objects that Ferrin didn't want to talk or look at all day."Well, Cor it's certainly... Interesting to meet you here in all places. Though, I prefer the Fighters Pit or, somewhere else that didn't feel quite so... Isolated. " The man paused. And he found one book of interest. He picked up the old leathery book. The leather straps that once bounded the book to feel tightly secure appeared loose and fraile. How, would a book express such a high value when they were in conditions such as these? Ferrin thought.

He concluded to the fact, that there were a lot of books here. And that was an obvious observation. But, would books that have copies would those be more valuable than those without duplicates? Or would they have a less value, the duplicates? Or the extra copies. For sure, there must be a few copies of each and every book in store. Ferrin picked up another book that was recently dusted and preserved, cleaned, in a way. Ferrin took a look at the title. The Kelvics In Kalea.Was the title.

The Kenashian flipped through the first few pages carefully with a gentle touch by the man's thumb and index finger. The book was rather, informational. But, not as quite as entertaining. The Kenashian positioned the book back down carefull y as if he had just finished a painting and layed the parchment to dru, but so it wouldn't smear. Kind of like that. Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of actual books that held an entitlement.

"Cor, do you have an interest in any book? I mean, are there any here that you have a like to?"Ferrin sighed, as he glanced at the boy and went back to browsing through all of the mystical things that the owner has in stock. There seemed to be vials up on counters, with strange liquids within them. Potions perhaps? Ferrin thought.

There were some other molecular tools that were old, cleaned, but rusted. Ferrin slowly, yet cautiously strolled towards the vials."Are these what I think they are? Potions right? Do you know of any that might improve healing? Or have any healing capabilities?"Ferrin asked warmly, he added a hint of curiosity within his voice as his voice merely cracked a bit. The curiousity, partially overwhelmed the man. And he was slightly afraid of the substantial outcome.

Ferrin turned his bode and first swiveled his head towards Jade before he spoke, he took a breath of reassurance."Jade, do you see a book that you would like to have?"Ferrin then swiveled his black curled head and spoke now, to Corrin. The young boy who appeared to be mere eager want to leave the two of them alone."So, Corrin can you help me explain what these other items are? I'm quite curious."

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jade Laken on February 5th, 2016, 9:24 pm

Jade continued to look at the book of magic that the mages use. She looked up as Ferrin spoke with the young boy about something else in the shop. Her eyes gently looked back down to the book in her hands and took a deep breath before gray eyes found the young boy once more.

"How much?" Jade asked looking at the boy across from her.

Her voice took on a more serious tone. The normally bright eyes of the young girl had turned into a darker more serious version. Knowledge was power and she planned to learn all she could. The older man heard the woman ask the price of the mage book and walked out looking at the young girl. She held her head a little higher refusing to back down on getting the book. No matter what the price she would have it, even should she have to make small payments on it every week.

"Well?" Jade asked once more not hearing the young boy before her say.
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes