[The Rearing Stallion] Hunting Party [OPEN]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on December 16th, 2010, 3:56 am

Season of Winter, 10th Day, 510 AV

Jonathon moved out of his room, and locked his door with a small key. Door, room, and key were all brand new; at least they were newly under his possesion. The key was worn, the room deserted and uninviting, and the door scuffed and unpolished. But it was home. His new home.

I finally have a place of my own... Nice of my father to chip in to pay for it. Although, to tell the truth, his father owed him quite a bit, and not just in cash. Jonathon had spent over a year of his life caring for his father. But now he seemed to have pulled himself together after Mother's death.

Slipping the key into his pocket, Jonathon set off into the streets. The place was crowded and rather noisy, but Jonathon was used to the people; he had lived here for over a decade. Slipping through the crowd, he twisted through the streets, following a specific path. After only a few minutes, Jonathon had found what he was looking for; a large tavern he had visited before, The Rearing Stallion.

The place was less crowded then the streets, but had a respectable number of people in it. Jonathon chatted with the tavern owner (or the barkeep, he wasn't sure which), who he had only spoke to on occasion. "Hey... Look, I'm trying to organize a hunting party. From what I know, a tavern is a decent place to get one. If anyone around seems like they'd be intrested, try and direct them to me, would you?"

Taking an empty table, his eyes raked his surroundings, looking for possible allies. The owner was a decent enough guy, but whether he would be any help remains to be seem. To tell the truth, this being his first time trying his hand at this stuff, Jonathon wasn't sure if this would be the place to go. At the very least, it's good to be doing something.
Last edited by Jonathon DuFraine on December 23rd, 2010, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Klyphaestus on December 16th, 2010, 4:34 pm

10th Day, Winter 510

Klyphaestus stomped in with a long face, heading straight to the counter. The tavern was hosting some good number of people as it always had. The place could be more crowded, though, once dusk arrived.

Normally the young man would smile at the people whose faces he mostly knew well, but today Klyphaestus' mind was obviously elsewhere. He stood before the counter, nervously shook the coins in his palm for some moment, deep in thoughts, then with a determined rush of action slipped onto a stool and called out to the young boy waiting the tables:

'Seth! A lunch and a mug of ale.'

'Righ up.' yelled the boy at his teen.

'Now you're arming yourself, huh, Phaestus?' A man next to him said with a laugh. The man was an aquaintance of Klyphaestus.

Klyphaestus looked at himself. It was in fact quite a sight. Two different sheaves of arrows, one of game and the other flight, resided seperately in a humble quiver at the rear-right side of his waist while a hunting knife was on the left. A pair of assasin's daggers occupied both sides of his front waist, and a shortbow was hung across his back. With his leather jerkin and gloves, Klyphaestus in fact found himself, even though it could be just his wild imagination, possessing some appealing atmosphere around him. That of an adventurer, he supposed. 'A man should be well prepared if he wishes to see what beauty Night could bring to The Rearing Stallion, shouldn't he?'

'Mere sharp fangs wouldn't be enough, flowery-tongue,' said the man after a gulp of ale.

Klyphaestus smiled.

'So you're leaving?'

'The city? No, I suppose not. At least not yet since I still have a house here. But some works in the outskirts would do, perhaps. Money is a necessity to living.'

'What would you do, then? Raiding caves?'

Klyphaestus smiled. 'You know I can't do that. You've known me ever since I was but a boy. I guess I can...hunt.' He added thoughtfully. 'Though now is winter, I think I can try some luck.'

'Luck can be tricky,' said the man with a shrug and pointed at the north end of the tavern with his chin. 'The empty dais is waiting for you, storyteller.'

Klyphaestus pulled his lunch over, thanked Seth, and payed the money to Kevith , exchanged a few words with the owner of the tavern, then turned back to the man. 'Not today. I'm still grief-stricken because half of my fortune has left me.'

'You mean the half you're now carrying.'

'If you insist.'

'Well,' The man studied Klyphaestus for a moment. 'If you really want to give this winter hunting a try, there's just someone you might want to meet. I overheard a talk between that lad and Kevith. You can go and ask him about that.'

OOCJust asking. What's the date? If you don't have one in mind, perhaps it can be: 10th Day, Winter 510? That's the day I buy all these bow and blades and stuff :)
Last edited by Klyphaestus on December 26th, 2010, 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Klyphaestus
Commoner

Words: 20504
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on December 16th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Jonathon relaxed in his chair, waiting. I could be waiting all day. I mean, how lucky would I have to be to find one only a bit after getting here? Not to mention the season... Winter isn't famous for bringing in the hunters. But, maybe I can catch some hibernating... I think the creatures out there at wintertime must be weaker than the ones at other times, and there will be less compatition... Still, there must be some reason for them not going out at this time. At least, Mother never did...

Just then, a man entered the tavern. Jonathon's eyes were drawn immediatly by his appearance; his weaponry was formidable. I hope he's as good with that stuff as he appears... and he's looking for a hunting partner. Jonathon watched closely as he exchanged some small talk with the barkeep. Come on, get him over here... I need to get out there. Not just for the hunting. There was a special mission he hoped to complete out there in the wilderness. It was unlikely that he would run into his mother's dead body, even more so that she's been dead so long... But he had to try, right?

The man was eventually directed to Jonathon; he couldn't believe his luck. Hardly took 20 minutes. Presuming Klyphaestus decides to join Jonathon, Jon would extend his hand for a handshake. "Hello there... My name's Jonathon. I'd like to try my hand at hunting out there, and because your here I figure your intrested." Jonathon considered ordering something, but he hadn't brought coin with him; why would he?

ooc10th should do it, yeah. Since you may or may not be a total newb, can I ask exactly what we do when we actually go hunting...? Do we get a Storyteller or something, or do it ourselves?
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Klyphaestus on December 17th, 2010, 1:45 pm

10th Day, Winter 510

When Klyphaestus looked up from his plate, the golden pair of eyes startled him a little. The colour of the eyes, along with the dark red long hair, signified the man's Inarta blood. Jonathon was young. Not young in a boyish way, but a young man at about the same age with Klyphaestus, judging from his look. The bow and arrows seemed to suit Jonathon perfectly, as if he were born holding them. Klyphaestus felt a sudden surge of awkwardness rising and the weight of his bow bit into his back. The archery and swordsplay trainings from his parents seemed so distant now.

'I...I am interested,' said Klyphaestus with a cough. 'I didn't expect a chance to come so quickly. Before we form a party, however, I suppose I should first let you know what I am capable of.' He paused, thought for a moment, then rose from the stool. It felt strange to remain seated during a conversation when the other speaker was standing.

Klyphaestus continued. 'I am trained in archery, swordsmanship and horsemanship after the fashion of the Drykas. I am literate and, if not learned, educated, for I have read some great works of literature. I am sometimes a storyteller, singer, writer, and scrivener. I hold certain ammount of knowledge in merchandizing and haggling which, when we come to selling goods, can be handy.' He ended with a small inclining of his head, ignoring the chuckles coming from the man he knew. What was so funny? He indeed was telling the truth, wasn't he?

OOCAh, newbs in a row. :D Here, see MODERATION in the link below.

LINK
Last edited by Klyphaestus on December 26th, 2010, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Klyphaestus
Commoner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Hrafn Alaric on December 17th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Hrafn hurried inside, living homeless was no easy task. Drifting around in the dark corners of the castle was a life no one wanted, the knights always on you and people shunning you everyday. Hrafn had coin - plenty of it. But to just freely spend it, bah. Hrafn knew how to hold his gold, only what he needed until he could escape Syliras. He tugged on his scarf and pushed open the door with his free hand. The stench of ale and meat greeted him, with the warm breeze moving massaging his wrinkled face. He grazed his chin as he walked past the nearly full tavern, a sprawling establishment like this was nearly always full.

He examined the room with his peered eyes until a relatively empty table, one man seemingly anxious and waiting for something. A fat man holding four mugs walked in front of the burly Isurian smith, the fat man promptly fell on his back with all the mugs landing on him. Hrafn simply raised his eyebrow as he stepped over him. The man was no longer alone, he had a possible companion. No matter, Hrafn thought as the nudged through the sea of people.

Hrafn reached the table, he dropped his backpack. -"Pardon me, but may I lay my pack down and rest for awhile? Me' old bones are frail and I'm a bit tired of walking around." he said with his deep, calming, malevolent voice as he raised his chin to appear as large as he could.

[OOC: Hope you don't mind my unfortunate intrusion... xP]
Hrafn Alaric
Whimsical Blacksmith

Words: 16370
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on December 18th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Jonathon observed Klyphaustus closely, his golden eyes flickering. Jonathon wanted as much information on this man as possible; after all, it was quite likely Jonathon's life would end up in this man's hands. He seemed an all-right sort, not some sort of theif or criminal. Of course, Klyphaustus had so far said hardly a couple of sentances to Jonathon, so his conclusion could be off, as Jonathon knew. Jonathon also noted that he seemed to intemidate the other man somewhat. Jonathon couldn't quite place why.

Klyphaustus's explaination of his skills seemed a bit diverse, compared to Jonathon's professions. A good portion of those skills could come in handy; he seemed ready for combat, intelligent, and his abilities covered areas Jonathon's did not. "I see...I'm a good shot with my bow, and a decent fighter with my shortblade." Jonathon indicated the appropriate weapons. "I also have knowledge of the monsters in this area, which will come in handy, and have basic skills when it comes to hunting." Jonathon shrugged. "Now we should decide... Do we continue with the group we have now, or wait for more members?"

It was likely they would be good with the group they had, but another member, especially a more experianced hunter, could certainly help. As Jonathon contemplated the issue, a small commotion nearby in the tavern drew his attention. Only a few seconds afterwards, an man took a place at their table. He seemed older than Jonathon and Klyphaustus, and apparently just wanted to rest.

"Of course. Feel free to use this table... We are just planning a hunting trip, don't mind us." Jonathon figured the old man was just an old man; after all, what else could he be? But if he decided to try to cause some sort of trouble, Jonathon would be less polite and possibly much more intimidating.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Hrafn Alaric on December 20th, 2010, 3:38 pm

-"Kind of you, boy." Hrafn uttered as he sat down, a load cringing noise was heard as the legs of the chair grinded up against the cobblestone floor. -"Pardon me." Hrafn chuckled. Seth, the boy came over. -"Anything for you sir?" he asked. Hrafn turned his head and peered his eyes. Seth was a pup, probably hasn't even seen 14 winters. -"A pint of your cheapest ale, thankye." Hrafn muttered as he flickered his hands, signaling the boy to go away. -"Very well sir." Seth said with growing frailness in his voice, probably keeping down the laughter as the senile man waved his seemingly green hand around.

Hrafn shifted his eyes to the one who had answered him. He seemed Human, maybe a half-cast? No matter, really. He was probably new in Syliras and thought he could try his luck here. Hunting? Humbug! He had brownish skin, similar to Hrafn himself with very eye-catching red hair along with his golden eyes, the boy was definitely Inarta. Not strange he was hunting. Bloody savages, all of them.

Hrafn focused his attention on the other one... What was his name? Phauteus? He had heard them converse and the name had been briefly mentioned by the boy. He was probably from the south, as was the other one. He had paler skin than Jonathan, but had black hair and dark eyes, which gave his ethnicity away. Possibly one of those horsemen or those wilderness folk who can track people down and hold water in their fingers... He seemed to have lived in Syliras for awhile, as he knew people.

Both men were young, possibly around 20'ish. As Seth brought the ale, Hrafn was quick to dismiss him as he quietly sipped on his drink while listening closely.
Hrafn Alaric
Whimsical Blacksmith

Character sheet

Postby Klyphaestus on December 21st, 2010, 12:09 pm

Klyphaestus eyed the middle aged man who came uninvited to the table. Seth had gave the man his drink, and the man was quiet enough making no trouble, but the way he payed attention to Klyphaestus and Johnathon's conversation made the young Drykas somewhat annoyed. But Klypheastus showed no hit of being offended. He smiled, instead, in all the pleasant ways a storyteller could manage. 'I hold no objection to a party of two, but perhaps three would be better? That is, if we can find any. Hunting could be quite some sport sometimes.' He was careful not to let his worry show too much. Being killed in the wilderness was certainly something Klyphaestus least wanted.
Klyphaestus
Commoner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on December 22nd, 2010, 4:04 am

Jonathon nodded, thoughtful. "Well then... We'll wait here for an hour or two, and if no one comes by, we'll just go as is." Jonathon said all this with confidence, and only on an afterthought did he say; "Unless you have any objections?" He continued to stare at Klyphaestus in a rather unsettling way. He pain no attention whatsoever to the other man at the table.

After a few moments, Jonathon relaxed and let his eyes wander around the tavern, searching among the people for another member for their party. His eyes snapped onto Hrafn. "What was your name again?" He treated this man with less intensity then Klyphaestus, his eyes still wandering the room.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Hrafn Alaric on December 23rd, 2010, 2:33 pm

-"Hrafn, is my name. I am an Isurian blacksmith and merchant who recently sold his housing here in Syliras to try my luck. If you would let me, I could accompany you both on this obviously dangerous journey." Hrafn paused, his eyes flickering at both men as he gulped down the ale. -"I myself am in possession of five knives I made myself that could be of great help." He paused again, delighted with the nice little speech he made, that oughta impact the both of them.

-"Tell me, what are your names?" Hrafn asked with a slight grin on his face, hoping to inquire some more information on the duo. They could be bandits, for all he knew. Better keep a lookout on them.
Hrafn Alaric
Whimsical Blacksmith

Character sheet

Next