Zith Racial Bonus

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Zith Racial Bonus

Postby Elias Caldera on February 23rd, 2016, 12:16 am

Is it entirely fair that the Zith get saddled with a racial skill we actively discourage new characters from taking because of how arguably useless and effortlessly attainable it is?

I mean you can debate observation's value till you're blue in the face, (Zith pun) but realistically speaking, it feels to me like they're getting short changed in comparison to the others who at least have something relatively unique/suitable going on for them.

I'm just curious what the thinking behind this is, and if there's any willingness to consider changing it.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Zith Racial Bonus

Postby Ball on February 23rd, 2016, 3:01 am

Zith's have it due to their subsonic style of communication, the ability to see things quickly in the dark that others would miss. All races bonuses are planned out Elias.

We never TELL them to not take it, we only SUGGEST because sometimes taking it is beneficial for that character.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Zith Racial Bonus

Postby Ruari Darkwind on February 23rd, 2016, 10:26 am

It used to be Detection rather than Observation.
Ruari Darkwind
skulls.

Words: 62295
Joined roleplay: August 23rd, 2015, 3:15 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Zith Racial Bonus

Postby Tillie Brewer on February 23rd, 2016, 2:16 pm

They do have free flying ability without need for points, which is an ability unique to the race. You Also get night vision, and ultrasonic hearing. I think the free goodies that your not spending points on still give Zith a bit of an edge even if you give them observation.
Tillie Brewer
Player

Words: 11870
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Character sheet

Zith Racial Bonus

Postby Gossamer on February 23rd, 2016, 4:47 pm

Basically, when the Zith were first created, they didn't have an added skill bonus. None of the early races had bonus' until a few months after we opened (another suggestion taken). If you read the Lore history, Tarot added in Detection, Fallacy changed it to Investigation, and Gillar changed it to Observation at the request of the flock of Zith players we had at the time.

I feel like the Zith are very fair and balanced. I'm sorry you do not feel this way Elias. But this is very accurate...

Zith Racial Bonus

Post by Tillie Brewer on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 am
They do have free flying ability without need for points, which is an ability unique to the race. You Also get night vision, and ultrasonic hearing. I think the free goodies that your not spending points on still give Zith a bit of an edge even if you give them observation.

I do not feel that Observation is useless and effortlessly attainable. That does a huge disservice to our graders who look for effort in thread before they award anything.

If you - by your own words - or other graders are actively awarding things like Observation without it being an active effort on the part of the player, then you are grading incorrectly and I will definitely make sure you aren't grading any longer.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Zith Racial Bonus

Postby Elias Caldera on February 23rd, 2016, 10:31 pm

Ah, well if its a matter of counter balancing the good with the bad, then I guess I get it. I suppose I considered the bonuses as their own separate thing, and not so much a part of the overall equation.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Zith Racial Bonus

Postby Tillie Brewer on February 24th, 2016, 12:34 am

Plus I could be mistaken but the observation skill allows you to tap into your night vision and ultrasonic hearing that much better. So it's really not so much counter balancing if you wield that skill properly, it's actually an enhancement designed to allow fluid progression of two natural abilities that gives you a clear advantage at night.
Tillie Brewer
Player

Words: 11870
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Character sheet