OOC Info Pavi Discussion!!!

What words do you want to see added?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Endrykas' Development Forum. Any and all OOC discussions, development projects, and silliness are contained within.

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Naiya on May 4th, 2016, 7:38 pm

I've been thinking... I feel like the Drykas would have a saying about death, something that expresses sorrow for the passing of a loved one, but at the same time makes reference to their belief that they are still within the web watching over.

Something, perhaps, like "May the cycle continue", or "May the gods favor his/her return" as a way of saying may your loved one watch over you until they are ready to return from the web.
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Prophet on May 4th, 2016, 10:41 pm

I added your idea about death, Naiya. That's a very good one. I also added three words for love. |:)
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Planter on May 4th, 2016, 11:03 pm

How about: 'May the Grassland claim you' or just 'Grassland claim you'. As like a curse or something.
Planter~ Radiant Pycon Wandererhttp://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic64871.html
Planter
Modern Day Johnny Appleseed

Words: 17493
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2016, 3:07 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Naiya on May 5th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Prophet, I love your addition, although I am not sure that I think the love words will get much use except as pet names.
She looked into his eyes, heart lifting at his return. It has been ages since the pirate raids that had separated them, and their child had seen nearly two summers without him. The distance between them was too great, she dashed forward to meet him as he entered the camp, running to her home in his arms.

"I gavee you, Shahar."

Yeah.... But perhaps as a pet name.
They sat side by side before the fire, his skilled hands quickly removing the pelts from the hares he'd brought home from his traps. Naiya was left to butcher the meat, her knife making quick work of soft flesh and membranes, but once she began trying to disjoint the limbs she realized her little blade had lost it's keen edge.

"Gavee, pass me that knife please." She said with a gesture to the cold iron blade sitting untouched beside Shahar.

Or if you extend the romantic love into a phrase meaning "I love you", with a "love you" variant I think it will get more use. As a stand alone I think it will distract from the flow of the writing in a scene where you would use romantic love.

Can we add a variant of family love, gapee, that means little love, so you could say it specifically to a child?

Also, is Feis Zul Rhotame also used in consoling others, or just spoken to the person passing/ as a prayer? For example this is how I feel its use is explained
She watched the boy struggle to breathe, her breath caught in her throat. "Stay with me." She demanded, hands pressed tightly to the wound in his chest. He coughed, dark blood speckled her face and clothes, and she knew that these would be his final moments despite her best efforts.

"My... mother." He strained to speak, gasping and coughing. She nodded her head, assuring him that she would bring him to her.

"Don't worry, sweet boy, you'll see her soon." She promised, her voice strained with tears. His coughing continued, worsened, he wasn't long for this world. He knew it too, his eyes locked on her tear filled ones, waiting for the words.

"Feis zul rhotame, little one." She spoke with all the strength she could muster, passing the strength to him as the web claimed him.

He smiled at her as his eyes fluttered closed. His chest stilled, and the gurgling in his throat ceased. His fight was over.

but also feel like this should be an option
"My only son, my boy!" She cried, weeping across the body that had once tethered his soul. "What did you do?" Fury sparked in her eyes as she glanced at Naiya, accusation in every line of her body.

"He was alone in the sea." Naiya spoke with gentle sorrow a mother's grief was not something to question, "I followed him as he went out, to keep watch, but he ducked through a tangle of wood and I had to go around." She paused, her own grief at the loss of a child hitting close to home with her own baby home without her.

"There were bandits, two of them. Camped in the shade of the trees, he startled them, which was what gave him time to draw his weapon. The whalaks underestimated him, a.. child," She choked on the word as tears stained her cheeks once more, "He stabbed the first one as I came around the trees, and when the man dropped him, your boy ran his dagger across his gut."

"I drew my bow and fired at the second man, but he was too close, and I was too far, he.." She couldn't share the gory details, still fresh in her mind, she would dream of the moment for weeks. "I failed, I couldn't save him."

She waited, but the woman only glared at her. She didn't blame her, in her place Naiya would be no more sympathetic. "May you both find peace. Feis zul rhotame."
Where here it is more akin to " 'Till the gods bring him home "

I like the idea of the curse, sort of resembling the punishment of exile without a horse. I rather like "Grassland take you" over claim you. but I'm no authority on the subject.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Prophet on May 5th, 2016, 9:56 pm

You made some very good points, Naiya. The examples really helped to show the pragmatism of your suggestions.

The 'loves' have been updated to accommodate the phrase 'I love you' as well as to used as a noun such as a pet name. I also tweaked the Feis zul rhotame to cover 'you/him/her' so that it can be used to comfort others.

On to Planter's suggestion. I like the idea of a curse...we have a few insults but no curse. Here's my issue with using anything Grassland. The Drykas live from the land and they leave their respected dead to be claimed by it. I feel a curse should be something vile. While I pondered on this, I wondered what if we could use this potential curse as something a parent might say to a child to get them to behave.

"Do as I say or you'll end up flying with the Zith!"

Then it could be doubled over out of anger or spite.

"Go fly with a Zith!"

Just a thought. Furthermore, this may be the last thing I add for a while. If I see a lot of people using the slang and there's a great cry for a specific notion or phrase, that might be an option but I don't want the list to get so big that it becomes cumbersome to use.

-Prophet
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Naiya on May 17th, 2016, 3:09 pm

I know you wanted to wrap up the additional words, but I was wondering if feis zul rhotame would be used for animals as well, or if there would be a hunting equivalent akin to "your fight is over", or perhaps "I honor your sacrifice"?

Also I do think "Fly with a zith" is a great addition. A warning/scolding/teaching tool for children, and a curse to adults. Again, though, for a curse I'm more a fan of "Zith take you", but perhaps as a variation of "fly with a zith"?
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Prophet on May 26th, 2016, 11:26 pm

Feis sul rhotame can be used for animals. No biggie there.

What if we changed to 'feed a Zith' instead? Would that work for both?
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Cyprus on June 23rd, 2016, 1:25 am

Perhaps a strong curse used to indicate a fued between Pavilions? Something along the lines of "May the fruits of your efforts be withered and rotten"

Maybe shortened or using something other than fruits, as I don't see those being in plentiful supply for the Drykas :D
Cyprus
Player

Words: 4952
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2016, 12:41 am
Character sheet

Previous